I Don't understand the GENERAL hate towards ruin/undying

on higher mobility killers , sure i can see an argument for it.

but not only was undying nerfed one month into it's existence but killer's without MOVEMENT abilites like : ThiccHead , Hug , Pyramid schemes , Nemisus (idk how effective their zombies are at getting people off gens) , IrishSlinger , [Redacted as per Netfix's request] etc.

if it's an issue with it making the endgame more of a pain here's a solution : Run Deja vu and do your best not to 3 gen yourselves sevenheads until you break the habit. Or alternatively you could AGRESSIVELY co-op gens - hide close to the gen and wait until the killer chases your buddy to immediately hop back on the M1 simulator.

change how you approach a situation to deal with the perk rather than asking for a perk to be changed to deal with your stubbornness

Comments

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

its only hated cause its used so often. I can understand going against it so often is frusturating. but at least its not old undying. on s rank killers i think its a little overkill but. strong perks make it easier to play thats why you see ruin.undying,tinkerer, (add other gen perk here) . deadhard,ds,borrowed,unbreakable

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015

The only issue with RuinDying is Tinkerer. I'm fine with RuinDying Blights, but adding Tinkerer to top it off is overkill.

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited September 2021

The craziest part to me is how there are several perks that can let you find and destroy totems pretty efficiently. For two perks that can put you at literally 2 perks if destroyed, it's pretty amazing these two perks that people make you believe are in literally every game, you'd figure they'd stop running the meta to deal with them. I'll always tell people the same thing, if you don't like gen regression, admit there's a problem so the developers fix it.

I think that Ruin/Undying helps you beat survivors you would've beaten anyway, or it stops survivors who really shouldn't win against you from winning. 4 bad survivors spreading on gens can still beat a really good killer on so many large maps, but a good killer can use Ruin/Undying to apply relatively enough pressure to prevent this. If you're not knowledgeable or capable of ending chases quickly enough or you don't know the basics of split pressure then Ruin/Undying won't help you.

I think Ruin/Undying does overall reward mediocre killers and helps them do better against mediocre survivors, but it's not really the case at high skill at all. I guess that's the case for most balance.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,865

Don’t worry about what others think. If I played on PC, I would just turn end game chat off. 90% of it is negative and it seems to bother people, so it’s not worth keeping it on. Just run what you want.

• KnotEnthusiast
    KnotEnthusiast Member Posts: 464

Honestly I don't really care much about just ruin/undying, its just when Tinkerer is added that it becomes a bit annoying. Scott put it best in his video about it as to why its annoying, where killers stop playing to chase and just constantly go return to gens as soon as tinkerer procs. Games last like 4x longer than they need to, and it just can be such a grind to get thru.

• Weasdat
    Weasdat Member Posts: 143

One survivor with one perk or even just a map is enough to completely shut down every hex perk in the game. It blows my mind to see so many people ######### about ruin/undying yet never use the several anti-totem perks or even a map alone.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

Imagine still complaining about ruin/undying... do bones people!!

• Potassium
    Potassium Applicant Posts: 49
    edited September 2021

Counterforce , detective's hunch and small game want to know your location

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

I always run small game and break hex totems!! Great perk.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Equipping a hex to protect another hex because your concerned the first one won't be hidden well enough 🤣

Just seems like a wasted perk slot for a combo that only does the work of one perk.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

100% agree.

When Undying dropped, I also said that they should nerf Tinkerer because this is the problematic Perk of the Combo. But I knew that they would nerf Undying, because they recently buffed Tinkerer and wont nerf it again and Ruin was reworked, so also no high possibility for a Nerf.

Like, just Ruin and old Undying meant to cleanse up to 5 Totems in a Trial to get rid of Ruin, however, you at least had the choice to ignore Ruin and just do Gens with the risk that the Killer might find you at a Gen and your Progress is gone. But with Tinkerer, this was not a Risk, it was guaranteed that you will be forced off the Gen, unless you play against a Killer with low Mobility on Red Forest and get lucky with the distance.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

All you need to do is read any NOED discussion to figure out the reason why. Survivors hate doing anything that isn't a gen, bro. That's just facts.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

Agree with tinkerer being the issue. The notification triggering unlimited times just makes it obnoxious on high mobility killers with ruin. One notification per gen should be all you need. I haven't used ruin with undying but I've used ruin + tinkerer and got good totem spots at which point my perks where doing more of the work than I was*

*Obligatory mention that survivors also get carried by perks just because that's how this forum is

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

Easy fix would be to give Tinkerer a cooldown. 30-60 seconds so it doesn’t proc so often?

• Dwigtht
    Dwigtht Member Posts: 462
    edited September 2021

I would understand the hate against Undying before it was nerfed and I was against this combo. But now, there is no reason to hate any perk in the game. Ruin + Undying are just two glowing totems, which produce the cracking sound. Find them.

But no, we, survivors, want to hold M1 on a gen. Guess what! You can hold m1 on totems too!

• Rey_512

That was another suggestion I made in a thread a couple weeks back. Devs like cooldowns more though.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,842

I just view the killers running it as really insecure in their own skill who don’t think they can win without their perks.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

The hate comes from the unwillingness to adapt to the old Undying and the ignorance to notice how weak the new Undying is.

• botrax
    botrax Member Posts: 633

You think you dont deserve those win but you apply pressure for the perk to do the work so you deserve it and its not like those perk last all game most of the time after 2 minute they are gone.

• Dwigtht
    Dwigtht Member Posts: 462

I am sure, Nancy, you are not one of those survivors who feel really insecure and runs Dead Hard or Sprint Burst. You are confident in your chasing skills and probably run some totem-finding perks to help your teammates!

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,842

I’ve been rocking head on and blast mine with qnq and ds and it’s been hilarious so far.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,956

actually old ruin sucked and only stomped less experienced players while more experience players where barely affected by it

but complaints about new ruin feels way more petty since devs keep throwing out anti totem perks and people still insist on not running them.

• KFChris18
    KFChris18 Member Posts: 112

People hate it for the same reason they hate things like Dead Hard. It erases your progress on the objective. Since survivors only have the one objective, they tend to feel it more than a killer might feel it from dead hard. Unfortunately, ruin/undying is necessary in the current sandbox until something is done to address how fast gens can fly in the early game.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

Ruin/Undying allows a killer who would otherwise lose in under 10 minutes to win a game in 30 minutes.

Its incredibly boring to see a game stretched out 3x in length, not because of a players' skill, but because of an effortless perk combo.

Survivors feel like they are losing to the game, rather than the killer, and that is the most unstatisfying way to go.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967

Ruin undying is easy to counter. The devs gives u plenty of perks to counter it. Ruin undying is very weak. U usually spawn right in front of a totem anyway.

It's another example of entitled survivors.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

But that's the killer's goal... to make the game as long as possible (forgive my long post I tend to go on tangents)

When Tinkerer procs that means that gen is almost done... and to some killers that's more important then getting a down

Plus this "meta" was a counter to the old DS/Unbreackable builds that the survivors ran... and there might be multiple survivors on that gen so instead of trying to down 1 survivor they go after a gen that's almost done and possibly 2 (or 3) survivors

and now the killers have what survivors hate the most... gamestall with Ruin/Undying (and Tinkerer)

Ruin: has the most regression in the game (and does make survivor check to see if the killer is running it so Surveillance makes sense as well)

Undying: makes it so instead of 1 totem that needs to be cleansed it's 2 (instead of all 5... but then NOED says hi so yes all 5 totems need to be cleansed)

And Tinkerer: procs when a gen is at 70% done granting Undectable for a whole 16 seconds also a loud noise notification will play (Spine chill still works against Undectable)

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508

Hell no! That's a ludicrous restriction. You can aura read with BBQ a total of 8 times, you can have discordance unlimited times. You have unlimited procs of infectious. Tinkerer being limited to 5 times per match is just horrific. Bitter murmur would arguably give more value. How about we make all killers viable for high-level play before we go around nerfing killer perks because they feel bad for some? "A gen is about to be done" is no where near as useful as you think.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Tinkerer is also stronger than every perk you mentioned.

"A gen is about to be done" is no where near as useful as you think.

I'm sorry I played ~100 matches as double range Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer Nurse, Freddy, and MDR/Yakuyoke Spirit. Do forgive me for speaking from experience because the perk is complete bullshit solo stomp.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Hated because strong. Strong meansbusef a lot.

Used a lot means boring.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

I stopped running ruin/undying a long time ago. Every match it would get destroyed after about 2 minutes, with the totems often spawning right next to gens. Meanwhile, whenever I go up against it as survivor then totems are always in super hard to find hiding places

• botrax
    botrax Member Posts: 633

I dont think tinkerer is stronger then the perk he said because tinkerer is only good with ruin meanwhile all the other perk are good with anything. By itself tinkerer is not that strong but with ruin that perk is really good. With that i exclude bitter murmur lol

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508

I'll take Infectious and Discordance over Tinkerer any day. I prefer proactive play rather than reactive. Tinkerer is good, but the problem it represents is exaggerated, especially relative to other combos in the game. Could it be looked at in the future if the devs decide to make the perfectly balanced game? Sure, but not before the laundry list of other issues.

Also, solo queue shouldn't be the standard of balance. The devs should just add voice chat in game already, and balance around comms. Just bite the bullet already devs. We've been playing 2 games in one queue for too long.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Tinkerer and everyone using all 3 all the time with no variation.

• latinfla4
    latinfla4 Member Posts: 2,119

They take up spots for prove thyself and spine chill 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,369

Make more perks non stackable.

You can have "X" but you can't have "Y" with it.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,369

I could say the same about D.S, oh you can't dodge a hatchet so here have a effortless save your ass from being hooked perk.

• BongRips4Wraith
    BongRips4Wraith Member Posts: 87

It's boring, we've seen it a million times, and it allows a killer to make several huge mistakes and still not lose any pressure.

Even Dead Hard at least needs to be timed and can only be used once in a chase. Ruin/Undying is just equip and forget while buffing literally any Killer on the roster by a significant amount.

The queues speak for themselves on the current state of killer perks and how easy it is for an unskilled Killer to control the game when you throw on multiple slowdowns.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

Ruin undying is nowhere near as powerful as survivor perks. Dead hard and unbreakable have no counters whatsoever; ruin undying can be removed.

• Rey_512

This. A good survivor can absolutely destroy your pressure by a well-timed Dead Hard at a loop. Oh, you thought you caught up? Nope - here’s a dash of invincibility to the next pallet which you can either break, allowing the survivor to make it to another strong loop… or you can leave it and let the survivor continue looping you around the pallet. Either way you’ve probably spent about 40 seconds in chase by now so enjoy 2-3 gens popping by the time you down + hook or leave the survivor.

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464

"Just do bones."

Another slogan parroted by people who don't realize this is inconsequential to the survivors that actually scare paranoid killers. Once again, this issue crushes solos who are not equipped for the same garbage every time. It's silly to expect people to always run a totem perk because of how killers are terrified of losing. I want to play different builds, and I'm completely bored of running totem perks when there are so many other perks to play with. And I cannot expect my teammates to feel responsible enough to do totem work in solo queue, that's not how it works. But, it's as others said, Ruin Undying itself isn't the issue, it's with Tinkerer that it becomes obnoxious and carries idiots way too much.

Killers should learn to wean themselves off slowdown, IMO. Or start using less if they're with characters they play less. I'm learning trickster and I'm sticking to Corrupt and Pop. Corrupt to make awful maps less awful, and Pop to reward me for getting better at the killer. And, surprise surprise, it's usually more than enough. But, as always, people are just downright terrified of losing as Killer, so they'll go overkill each time and whine when it doesn't work, calling the other side entitled or Overpowered. ######### please, you ran Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer Blight on McMillan and still lost. Unless it was a comp team or it was your third ever game as the killer, you probably aren't that good.

• NeonFlowerPower
    NeonFlowerPower Member Posts: 135

Because Ruin is a massively lazy perk that requires zero effort. Just like Dead Hard is a massively lazy perk as well that gives survivors a free escape.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Simple: You can literally lose both within the first 16 seconds of a game unlike survivor perks.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,372

While Ruin means the killer can skip kicking gens, it'll do nothing if the killer is creating no pressure to get survivors off of gens. Not to mention it's a perk survivors can just remove from the match.