The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

So Have You Guys Seen How "Stretched" Res. Is An Advantage Against Ghost Face?

Boss
Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Just found out myself.

I mean i already knew it doesn't stretch but actually adds view, but i didn't even think of that Killer, nor that the added view could be more than just added view.

Thanks to Otzdarva for releasing that video a while ago, showcasing it.

I made this "discussion" pretty much to just bring some attention to this even though i have nothing to discuss on it myself.

Question i have is can anything even be done about it?

Comments

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687
    edited September 2021

The issue is that ghost face's detection area is the center 17% of your screen. Streched res gives better vertical FOV and as a result your view over objects will be closer to the center of the screen. Generally this grants a better view of the horizon but specifically against ghostface this allows you to reveal him better since the center 17% of your screen can more easily be framed to contain the needed portion of his body.

It isn't just an advantage at revealing over objects, but in the open too.

Part of the reason ghost face's reveal mechanic is utter garbage is that the a good portion of the reveal area is blocked by your survivor's body. Increasing your vertical FOV allows less of the reveal zone to be blocked by your body even in the open to reveal him more easily.

The solution to the problem is to move the reveal zone, it needs to be shifted upwards to the upper middle of your screen both so that the survivors body is out of the way and so you can reveal over objects without needing a higher vertical FOV.

Of course they could also fix the game so your FOV is not dependent on your resolution and finally add an FOV slider to the game, but I feel like if they were capable of doing so it would have been done by now.

They could also dynamically adjust the reveal zone based on your FOV, but once again this unnecessary if they were to just fix the game.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    edited September 2021

Nope you can't mess with a person resolution and its probably a bad idea. I think we need to take the reveal mechanic out of ghostface or hope no one uses this type of resolution. Also I always advise avoiding killer with powers that a survivor can put on a cooldown. I.e. plague and ghostface. They could give him a shorter cooldown on his ability to enter night shroud. The pen itself feels way to baseline for ghostface.

• Hippie
    Hippie Member Posts: 1,003

I can definitely confirm that about the Nurse advantage, I used to be a Nurse main and started using stretched res for Survivor a bit before that. Kept it on for Nurse and it was a huge help... not very fair at all of course. Thankfully I quit using stretched res last year because it really is a hugely unfair advantage.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    edited September 2021

Where did people defend stretched res? I never saw it.

I only saw people defending them when it comes to tournaments where basically everyone stretch.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

related sidenote: apparently stretchres can really mess up your idea of how low EGC lasts, if the survivor I just had using it and their outrage in the chat is anything to go by

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Well thank you for doing that mate. You didn't have to but the community respects you for it.

It's extremely ridiculous but unfortunately nothing will change.

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551

It's pretty unfair just like the redstain config they were doing. Little to no mindgames around it.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Not to sound entitled, but the Ghostface reveal mechanic is just bad in general. Stretched resolution is like the cherry on top, but really, I do not think it hurts him any more than any other killer. It technically does, but does it REALLY though? You just learn to deal with getting your power stripped at a glance. If anything, the vision you get from one of those clowns helps you find them whereas one of their bigger advantages would be avoidance.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,047
    edited September 2021

What do you mean? DBD never looked better.

(Screenshot from a Stream)

@Topic:

I dont really think they can do anything against it. After all, even DBD provides an option to make the game easier for you by setting it to low Graphics - and the game suddenly becomes brighter. This should also not be possible that players who dont need Low Graphics can use this option to gain an advantage.

And when it comes to Stretched Resolution or Nvidia-Filters, I dont think the Devs can do something against it.

• Freddy96
    Freddy96 Member Posts: 767

That's 1:1 or even less. I use 1560:1080, i use that on every single game i play. Every game that exist has a fov slider, this game doesn't even let you choose your fps and whoever unlocked fps is on the same level of "cheating" of stretched players.

I dare anyone to try this res and tell me that: 1 it gives me unfair advantages (you can barely see any difference from native) 2 it looks bad

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I'd like to hope if they can't do anything about it that they'd come out and say they can't.

Love people who hide their perks because they're afraid of stream snipers πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

It's hard to see the advantages immediately. Someone would need to go into a match to test that fov to see where it gives it's advantages. Even if it's something small, it'll still give some sort of an advantage to you over others.

• Freddy96

It's the same kind of advantage someone with unlocked fps gets over me because i play at 60fps. I can assure you that the advantages you get with my res are laughable. You all are not complaining about stretched in general you're complaining about 1:1 and below which i think aswell it's unfair, but there's a whole universe of people playing with stretched that is not 1080x1080 and i can assure you that anything from 1560 to 1800 looks definitely better

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

I don't understand why people can't grasp that no fov slider is a balance decision and keep comparing it to cod csgo... different genres not centred around cat and mouse.

• Freddy96

Balance decision of making this game look like garbage?

They have no idea whatsoever of what balance is, do you really think they chose that specific fov because of balance reasons? Right when the game came out they had no idea of what looping is or what mindgames were gonna be. And the fov is the exact same as it was in 2016.

So the "balance" excuse doesn't work at all.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Ahhh, to this day i still remember the good ol' "Infinites take skill" quote. πŸ˜…

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169

There's an easy fix to this problem vs GF and the reveal mechanic in general. I've already left this on Feedback long ago. Anyway the solution is to make the Reveal Area be GF's Mask. It solves the consistency issue for Survivors, meaning using stretch res is no longer an advantage vs normal res. And since it's the Mask that is the focus point, GF can do more to prevent being revealed, looking away and moon walking for example reduce or remove the exposition of the Mask so even with stretched res GF can avoid or delay the Reveal. By being the Mask what you need to see you're also preventing Hooked Survivors from revealing you unless for some reason you're face camping them.

It's such an easy soltuion i don't understand why this hasn't been done yet.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

And yet, many people don't consider stretched res cheating. Just making a killer completely unplayable.

Just another reason to play Wraith over GF.

• DontNerf
    DontNerf Member Posts: 990

Had this one dude in the comment section doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify stretched res. After everyone called them out he just started insulting people lol.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

I mean I didn't need proof that stretched res was cheating but the additional proof is great.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

Devs can write code which detects the window dimensions. Then the code will just force a standard 16:9 ratio on it by painting the top and bottom parts of the window black. Problem solved.

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052
    edited September 2021

remember when people demanded modding get removed because stretched res.

and it's not even a mod.

πŸ‘΅

• sQuAdeLUL
    sQuAdeLUL Member Posts: 10

no clearly that's too much work!!!!!! ban everyone instead !!!!!!!!1111