Let me see if I get this right about Boon Totems...

Options

So the killer must find them, and after wasting their limited time interacting with them they don't just outright destroy the totem, they just turn it back into a dull totem so survivors can bless it again?

For real a survivor can just endlessly reapply the blessing to the same totem and the killer will have to go and deal with it?

So let's say, the totem grand some effect, a poor Legion is patrolling a 3 gen trying to scrape a kill or something. The boon totem is half a map away, so the Legion will have to slowly walk towards the totem, turn it into a dull totem, a survivor that was hiding behind a small bit of detritus, comes up to it and turns it into a boon totem again, the killer has to do that back and forth over and over again, all the while let's say there's 2 survivors on one gen and 1 on the other, one gen gets completed in around 45 seconds, the other one in 80, while the killer wastes upwards of 15 seconds each time just trying to prevent a perk that could potentially have devastating effects for the killer?

Um, excuse me, what is this? Why doesn't the killer just step on the totem and break it instead of allowing the survivors to rebless them over and over again?

Comments

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options

I agree with this. The effects would have to be minimal to compensate. We should honestly just wait.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,087
    Options

i still doubt the boon totem will be "now i gotta limp across the map" worthy perks.

but don't survivors only get 1 use each anyways?

• NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 766
    Options

You might be right and I hope you are. But then it means that the effect of the perk is mostly useless and what survivor is going to run that instead of the typical DS, UB, SB/DH, Adrenaline, BT, etc, etc that are already super strong anyways?

Even so, it feels strange to have something designed like that, survivors apply it endlessly, and the killer has to go out of their way to get rid of it temporarily.

I guess we'll see.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959
    Options

Taking away a boon totem better be at gen tapping speed, for fairness reasons. In reality, it'll probably take as long as deep wound mending to bust a boon totem lmao

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited September 2021
    Options

Key changes probably should have happened with Mori changes. I suspect they were keeping the Key Change in their back pocket for an update where they pretty much destroy two killers. lol

Joking aside, I'm fine with the idea Boon Totems - I like the fact a Survivor needs to look for a dull totem and Bless it (which I hope takes considerable time - maybe as long as destroying a totem?) to get the benefits. Giving survivors things to do that isn't attach their face to a gen is an inadvertent killer buff.

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,481
    Options

Well that's an issue with the design and balance of those perks to begin with, and it isn't exclusive to Boon perks. Every other perk is overshadowed by the meta 6-7.

The team does seem to realise this at least, judging by the nice buffs to weaker perks in today's and Friday's devs updates.

I have faith in the devs, they're not going to add a ridiculously powerful Boon perk that can be reactivated over and over.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,895
    Options

The biggest reason I can think of why the totem becomes dull instead of breaking it, is NOED. The second reason probably so that someone else with a boon totem could activate their power instead.

But who knows, maybe boon totems get 1 blessing charge at best and we know survivors as a team can only have 4 boon totems total, we dont know if boon totems can be reactivated(let alone, that perks like Inner Strength and Counterforce will also counteract the usage of Boons).

Besides, who says that Boon totem effects would be powerful enough to be worth walking over to? Lets say Adrenaline would be a boon totem. Would you really think it's worth it to go out of your way to deactivate it? Or would it just be a nice option for killers to be capable of disabling Adrenaline before it can trigger?

• Sickerton
    Sickerton Member Posts: 77
    Options

Honestly, what worries me about these perks are that I cannot think of an effect or benefit which could simultaneously make one worth a Survivor perk slot and not make it fresh hell for the Killer. Boon perks have to compete with the current Survivor meta perks, while somehow not being as impactful as any of them to the other side, all while balanced around the idea that they aren't guaranteed help and can be effectively 'Lost'.

• UMCorian
    edited September 2021
    Options

This has me worried as well.

What I hope they do is take the strong meta perks (DS, BT, UB, DH) and make them into Boon Perks as well. That way Boon Perks don't feel like they have to be better than these perks to justify themselves.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

The boon totem power will be strong. Bhvr got to be sure people will buy their new survivor.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,649
    Options

My biggest problem is they seem to be no risk and all reward. Oh no my Boone got stomped let me light it again. Could you imagine if the killer could reactivate ruin they survivors would have a melt down. If these end been strong enough where the killer has to deal with them is a huge problem because I don't have the time to repeatedly go looking for totems to stop a perk.(old undying anyone)

On a positive I love the plague changes she's one of my top 5 favorites.

• skylerbound
    skylerbound Member Posts: 743
    Options
  • botrax
    botrax Member Posts: 633
    Options

Dont forget survivor get replace a hex with a blessing too i saw a mod say that in another post

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335
    Options

Just do bones!

• TheMonadoBoi
    TheMonadoBoi Member Posts: 345
    Options

"What were you expecting? If an absolutely broken and overpowered mechanic for survivor gets nerfed we OBVIOUSLY need a new possibly broken/overpowered mechanic!! Why are you always crying lmaooo?

Anyway I am definitely a killer main, and I am the most righteous killer main btw. I always play to make sure every survivor is having a happy fun fun time! All survivors love me! But I always win hehe I'm so good I want my games to be only top MMR. Camping and tunneling are BIG issues!!"

Fantastic arguing you got there wow.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

From comments I've seen by Mandy to bless a boon totem it will take the same amount of time as it takes to cleanse a totem and Killers will be able to snuff a totem quickly. I imagine it would be similar to grabbing the crowns during event, killer quickly swipes while survivor stands there for few seconds. Currently survivors don't cleanse dull totems for NOED because "it takes too long" so I doubt they'll spend time re-blessing totems.

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009
    Options

My lord, you don't even know what the perks are. How ridiculous to claim they are on the power level of Key/Hatches.

• Konnor24
    Konnor24 Member Posts: 184
    Options

Most killers want fair killer games. Not easy. Its not fun when all the killers who interest someone happen to have bad map pressure so gens pop left right and center while a couple of smurf survivors run rings around you.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,853
    Options

Dude it took several months for a key change. Killers have had to deal with them for a while after moris got gutted and killers need to be "happy?"

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

Always get a chuckle when I see posts like this. Usually people who toot their own horn to degrade other people’s skill are actually average players themselves.

FACT: Killers already have to do tons of micromanaging with gens and survivors, and it gets worse when it’s a huge map and/or heavy pallet or strong tile RNG. Adding a stupid secondary objective to the killer is completely unwarranted and horrible game design if all the devs want to do is “spice things up with totem interaction”.

Here’s a better idea. Make it so cleansed totems can be rebuilt by killers if they have a Hex Perk. I’m sure survivors will be perfectly okay with that, right?

• baseballfan4877
    baseballfan4877 Member Posts: 364
    Options

stop complaining. you got the key changes that shouldve been in a year ago, but this patch also nerfs spirit and deathslinger. So stop being so ungrateful killer players

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    edited September 2021
    Options

Then what's the point? If they aren't strong enough to make the Killer want to get rid of them, why would Survivors run them over the current meta of DS, Unbreakable, Dead Hard/Sprint Burst, and Iron Will/Adrenaline/Whatever?

I don't see a good way for these to work. Either they're powerful enough for the Killer to care and it breaks everything because they don't have permanent counter play OR they aren't and nobody runs them over the current stronger Survivor meta.

• Grimzy
    Grimzy Member Posts: 219
    Options

The problem is, if the killer ignores them and say survivors have 4 blessed totems active, and fifth one is either broken or occupied by 1 hex, any other hex the killer has wont activate because there are no dull totems anymore to use (like for example NOED) so if the killer wants them, he will have to go and find at least 1-2 blessed totems and hope they dont get reblessed.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 935
    edited September 2021
    Options

Yeah, that's why I hope each survivor can only bless a totem once. They should work in a similar way to Hex perks: if the killer finds it, it's gone.

• Malkhrim
    Options

That already exists... kinda. They are called Hex perks. Survivors won't be able to bless hex totems.

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052
    Options

Honestly I play survivor 99% of the time and I don't like Boon Totems either. It eliminates the purpose of breaking them, effectively neutering perks like Inner Strength and Counterforce (which was only added months ago) in addition to making totem challenges that much more difficult to slog through, and I don't enjoy having a cat and mouse objective trying to keep them active. On paper, it might seem nice from the survivor perspective of eliminating some of the aggro you can be up against, but in reality I only see most killers ignoring them entirely and equipping more perks to cancel them out.

• UMCorian
    edited September 2021
    Options

Yeah IDK.

Look, I get it, Devs need to make sure the game stays fun, fresh and interesting for Survivors. Survivors gotta come first: For every hour of DBD that gets played, 80% of that time is played by Survivors...

... but Boon Totems just sound like a horrible, horrible idea.

The logistics sound terrible, adding a killer objective right now is not a good idea. But more to the point, I can't even imagine how strong they're going to be as, by design, they have to be better than non Boon perks.

What stupidly strong perk is going to make a Survivor want to give up DH, DS or BT and eager to bless some totems? This is going to be horrifying.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Sorry to disappoint but you can bless a Hex totem. It deletes the Hex effects and transforms it into a boon totem. If you snuff out the blessing, the totems becomes dull.

Enjoy

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,002
    Options

I feel for the poor Trapper & Hag. After spending half the match building up a trapped areas if they have to limp all the way across the map to snuff out Boon Totems that's their game done.

I can just hear the bully squads salivating already.

I also feel that if Boon Totems can be re-ignited then Hex Totems deserve the same.

• realflashboss
    realflashboss Member Posts: 328
    Options

I dont think theres anything to suggest a boon totem will be re-blessable by the same survivor.

If its like a hex the survivor will get a fairly decent perk but the killer will have an option to remove a perk the survivor has from the game permanently. It wouldnt make sense for the perk to be reusable as hex perks cant be relit either.

The risk reward for killer should be that they can make a survivor run with 1 perk down, on top of that the likely 4/5 perk meta should change if the boons are decent but at least now the killers may be able to remove a meta perk from the game. I actually see potential for this to break the meta builds and potentially give the option for killers to make survivors play with only 3 perks if they destroy the boons which could be big.

Maybe the boons will be area based effects too which force players to be in certain places to receive their benefit etc. Which could also slow down the game etc.

Lets just wait and see how it goes!

• nicnc82
    nicnc82 Member Posts: 372
    Options

Lol where was I complaining? I'm fine with the killer changes honestly. And I'm a killer main who didn't care or cry about keys

• baseballfan4877
    baseballfan4877 Member Posts: 364
    Options
  • IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,900
    Options

Do bones.

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,002
    Options

They have stated that boon totems can be re-ignited by the same survivor - I'll try and find it and link!

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974
    Options

no bones about it this sucks

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

Theyll be pretty easy to find considering survivors need to be close to the totem to get its effects

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,998
    Options

I'm sure it's gonna be like hexes. Once there gone there gone. Also the added risk that all ur equipped boon perks are forced into one totem. So if one is destroyed. All are.

But obviously wait and see what happens. I wouldn't mind broken perks for both sides. Meta is getting stale.

• Malkhrim
    Options

I know I'm late to answer this, but yeah, I stand corrected, as I saw it on the PTB yesterday.

Damn, this is going to be OP. Blessing hexes is not what bothers me, but the ability to bless again and again, with unlimited uses and no cooldown, carrying the effects of multiple perks on a single totem and having one blessed totem for each survivor, THAT is really too much. The problem with blessing hexes is that you can't even prevent that with your own totems.