Make corn maps slightly easier... by having the corn die off as survivors die off?

^ title ^ basically have the map dynamically change over time increasing visibility for killers as the match goes on

Comments

• Maelstrom10
    Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,922

@Warlock_2020 said:
    Why? It is already hard enough to play the stealth game for most survivors. You want to take away natural cover now as well? Seriously, I'm color blind and have a rediculously hard time tracking in the corn, but I would never want to remove it. That is why I randomly trap the corn with Trapper. I have to hunt like a T-Rex because I don't see the scratch marks. I look for movement. Corn is easy to see movement in if you pay attention.

I don't get the constant want to take away from the survivors by killers in this game. Yes, I know toxic SWFs can wreck a match, but most games are not that way. It is not hard to 3k a match. As much complaining as I hear on these boards, I'm won't be surprised when killers want half the survivors to start on hooks, while getting the bp for those hooked survivors. Bleh

Mate i play both killer and survivor pretty heavily to know that the corn is and can be hugely detrimental to the killers playing in it. we already know the corn field maps are the ones with the highest survivor survival rates, so i was simply suggesting something that might make it easier for killers to find people on the map. hell it doesn't even touch loops, which some would say are the main problem on the map it just changes the level of visibility so that survivors are easier to find, therefore decreasing the time taken to find the last survivors.

• Maelstrom10

@ModernFable said:
    I don’t think Behavior is competent enough for something like that.

However, just lowering the height of the corn would suffice.

And i think behaviour is actually competent enough haha, we have already seen dynamic gen related map effects with them opening doors, so this would be a dynamic map effect on the killers end. the more you kill the more the corn withers and dies.

• ModernFable
    ModernFable Member Posts: 836

@ModernFable said:
    I don’t think Behavior is competent enough for something like that.

However, just lowering the height of the corn would suffice.

And i think behaviour is actually competent enough haha, we have already seen dynamic gen related map effects with them opening doors, so this would be a dynamic map effect on the killers end. the more you kill the more the corn withers and dies.

Strictly speaking, yes, they can probably program it into the game.

Can they do it without breaking some core features though?
  • Maelstrom10

@ModernFable said:

Considering the corn is a world model with no collision atm, and all i can see them doing (as an example) is blackening, shortening the model and maybe animate it falling over, i don't think that would bug anything out as the corn isin't "attached to anything" its just something that spawns. it would just be a matter of "when player reaches x amount of survivors dead, have corn play this animation"

• Might_Oakk
    Might_Oakk Member Posts: 1,243

I didn't mind corn before the engine update. I was able to track via sound. With the broken audio I'm balls at it now.

• ModernFable
    ModernFable Member Posts: 836

@ModernFable said:

Considering the corn is a world model with no collision atm, and all i can see them doing (as an example) is blackening, shortening the model and maybe animate it falling over, i don't think that would bug anything out as the corn isin't "attached to anything" its just something that spawns. it would just be a matter of "when player reaches x amount of survivors dead, have corn play this animation"

The density of corn and other foliage affects the frame rate.

So complicating something that already hurts performance is a no go for me.

Reducing the density of the corn would boost performance on these maps and help the “corn blindness” problem.
  • Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

No it wouldn't make much sense and wouldn't tie in with the Lore. The survivors do NOT come from corn maps, Billy does. So unless we can find a way to kill Billy, this idea will not be implemented.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    I agree the corn maps are too annoying. Its just boring walking around searching high and low for that claudette crouching in the corn.

Not to mention the fact that survivors burn these offerings every third game so in a DBD session you can spend most of your time on tbese awful maps.

It's time to cull the map list. There are 5 corn maps. I kinda like Thompson house but Rotten fields has very little to it besides corn, pull that one out of rotation.
  • Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,532

Hmm... maybe as the survivors tread on corn, it gets flattened... an interesting mechanic?

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Let killers do the landscaping

• redsopine01
    redsopine01 Member Posts: 1,269
    I got it a extra it clown add on turing it into a Molotov making fires to light the map up and effect the environment like burning down the corn locking out a loop whole also hurting survivors caught in it (cannot kill them and killers cannot pick them up in the flames unless it's around the hatch to stop sneaky survivors) it's a simple change that can affect the game a lot but it can only be used 4 times maby more if used with a bottle add-on but once used up it goes back to normal tonic 
  • twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited December 2018
    It could work but they would need to add walls into the more open parts otherwise there would be no line if sight breakers or juking points.

Personally I don't mind the corn as I can see it move when survivors are going through it, no movement and I know they stopped.
  • GMAK
    GMAK Member Posts: 38

I'm a killer main and the corn is kinda annoying to deal with and hard to see inside but it makes the map unique and unlike the others so I say leave it as it is.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Warlock_2020 said:
    Why? It is already hard enough to play the stealth game for most survivors. You want to take away natural cover now as well? Seriously, I'm color blind and have a rediculously hard time tracking in the corn, but I would never want to remove it. That is why I randomly trap the corn with Trapper. I have to hunt like a T-Rex because I don't see the scratch marks. I look for movement. Corn is easy to see movement in if you pay attention.

I don't get the constant want to take away from the survivors by killers in this game. Yes, I know toxic SWFs can wreck a match, but most games are not that way. It is not hard to 3k a match. As much complaining as I hear on these boards, I'm won't be surprised when killers want half the survivors to start on hooks, while getting the bp for those hooked survivors. Bleh

DBD is not a stealth game, the game is build around looping

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

Even when my hatred for cornfileds is massive due to cornsickess I still don't agree with lessening it. It's one of the very few map specific mechanics that's actually unique and usefull while not beiing a stupid loop spot.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

They could increase the corn density and then decrease the height of the corn. You'd still be covered if you are crouching but standing will make you visible to the killer.
  • wolflinkin
    wolflinkin Member Posts: 52

It should be the other way around. Start with dead corn and as survivors die the corn becomes more dense.

• Zarr0ch
    Zarr0ch Member Posts: 589

Or...Leave it as it is and compensate for it instead of nerfing survivors even more