The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What are your "must-play" horror games?

JesseJH28
JesseJH28 Member Posts: 483

Title ^

Just looking to add to my list of games I'll eventually get around to playing lol

Comments

• Badonkadonk
    Badonkadonk Member Posts: 79

Silent Hill 1-4 and Shattered Memories

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

SOMA

Penumbra

Bioshock

I wouldn't consider it a 'must-play', but if you've played a lot of horror games or just want something different: Dark Deception

The Devil Came Through Here Trilogy (I consider it more thriller but it has plenty of horror elements)

Cry of Fear

Resident Evil (The original, or really any of the games up to 4, the newer ones are very different in comparison but still good)

I would also recommend Darkwood, though I haven't played it myself, it's very unique from what I've seen.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

I actually haven’t played many Horror games at all.

But I think Alien: Isolation is a Must-Play. Phenomenal atmosphere.

• IsJustMe
    IsJustMe Member Posts: 436

Resi 1-3

Elvira Mistress of the Dark (Yes i have it still)

Silent Hill 1 & 2

Phasmophobia

Phantasmagoria 1 & 2

F.E.A.R.

and i hope it is still a Horrorgame xD Alice in Wonderland 1 & 2

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

Dead Space. The first in particular is scary af.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

The Last of us pt.1,2

Resident Evil 1-3

Days Gone

• SlothGirly
    SlothGirly Member Posts: 1,146

Minecraft, Not even being funny, Minecraft has been the game which has scared me more than any other. the unassuming and childlike nature of the game lower your expectations and so when a scare happens it carries much more weight than any horror game I've played.

Otherwise, Deadspace. Not as scary in terms of the action or monsters, but just the atmosphere through the whole game is so earie and creepy. I love it.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,908

Whoever said Alien Isolation - I am in agreement there, the first part of that is pretty scary

Definitely the earlier Resident Evil games, I didn't find the latest ones to be all that scary though.

Amnesia is pretty chilling at times

Phasmophobia gives me some jump scares

And I really want to try At Dead of Night - as that's supposed to be a bit scary at least.

• HighwayCatalyst
    HighwayCatalyst Member Posts: 377

Trying to find games that I've played that people haven't already recommended. ( Resi Evil, Amnesia, Soma, Phasmophobia, etc are all very good.

Darkwood. It's a top down survival horror with roguelike gameplay. Very atmospheric and very creepy.

Stories Untold is an interactive horror text adventure. It's got four short stories and the first one is available for free. Wear headphones!

The Cat Lady. It's been years since I've played this one, but I remember it being a very atmospheric point and click horror game.

• MckFinn
    MckFinn Member Posts: 60

By far the best horror games would be Evil Wifhin 1 and 2, and Outlast 1. Great games filled with horror or gore that are so much fun to play

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,133

If I were to give 6 recommendations, they would be the following:

1. Silent Hill 2: Probably the best example of psychological horror. There's not much to be said that hasn't already been, but this will leave a long-lasting impression. Also, oddly, helped me deal with my condition so I owe a lot to this beautiful game.

2. The Cat Lady: A 2D horror about a lady with heavy depression, who is brought back to life by making a deal with a mysterious old woman, in exchange for a deal to kill 6 "parasites". These people are terrible people. This explores depression and disease in an incredibly artistic, sensitive and creative ways. A fantastic story to boot!

3. The Evil Within 2: I love both games, but the sandbox aspect and exploration, alongside improved crafting and some genuinely creepy monsters wins this for me. Obscura is a terrifying creation, and some of the concepts such as art is suffering, and the dark, internal desires appeals.

4. Alien Isolation: My favourite "hide to survive" games. The AI is amazing in its adaptation towards how you play, and the constant tension gets you so involved in the moment. Not many games can do this to such a degree, but this is a special game.

5. Silent Hill 4 The Room: Very underrated game in the series that was met with some uncertainty when it was released. Why was Henry so characterless? Why was combat altered? Why put near-invincible ghosts hunting you at every turn? In the end, everything was actually intentional and made to create one of the greatest examples of art in video games. Also, the only horror game that has made me feel something was "very wrong about it". It's just a game, of course, but it shows how atmospheric it was.

6. SOMA: Not an obvious choice, but the idea behind being forever alive in machines with no release of death, alongside the various topics it brings up, it's a game that has its horror primarily in what is dialogued rather than the imagery. And it's done well.

And 2 bonus less horrific games that still fit the mould:

a). Everyone's Gone To The Rapture: Beautiful score, imagery and brilliantly told stories of an English village taken over by a series of disappearances and deaths. It has a cosmic horror vibe, but seems to have a positive message within it about life and what means the most. A feel-good horror!

b). Granny's Garden: Bloody weird 80s game, conjured up by someone who has taken far too many substances to make it a strange, psychadelic trip. But it was that random witch jump scare, complete with obnoxiously loud music that's not really ideal for a very young kid to see.

• Katie_met
    Katie_met Member Posts: 422

Silent Hill 2 if you've never played it. It's more atmospheric horror rather than jumpscare kind of horror, but the story is amazing, a real masterpiece.

• steponmeadiris
    steponmeadiris Member Posts: 225
    • Silent Hill. Mainly the 1st and 3rd games, as the 2nd game sucks imo.
    • Stories Untold. It's spooky, and the gameplay is unique and really fun.
    • CARRION. Kinda unsure if that counts as horror, but it's definitely gory.
    • Yuppie Psycho. Not that well-known, but probably my favourite game ever.
  • Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

I will also add Little Nightmares, can be very creepy as well. Though some parts of it can feel a little tedious I think..

Whoever said

That was me 😢 I am not some ‚whoever‘ am I?

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,669

People already mentioned great games, I am honestly not really a horror player, I do however enjoy Lovecraftian mythos and I'd mention games like Bloodborne (I am aware it's more of an action game, but the setting is horror), Conarium and The Sinking City.

I also agree with @Mooks, Little Nightmares can be very creepy, and maybe I'd mention Darq that has a similar atmosphere and Fran Bow that has horror elements (also Little Misfortune is an interesting one, made by the same developers).

Those are maybe not some purely horror games, or must play horror games, but I definitely recommend them if you are looking for something a little different.

Also thanks @steponmeadiris for reminding me about this game:

Stories Untold. It's spooky, and the gameplay is unique and really fun.

Actually loved that game.

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380
    edited October 2021

All of the first 3 silent hill games. If you have not played them, i am genuinely demanding you go download an emulator and experience the absolute genius of these titles.

Edit: While i am at it, please everybody here purchase and play lost in VIVO. That game was the only horror game i have ever played where i actually quit before finishing because it terrified me so much. Insanely scary game with a great underlying message about depression and eating disorders. Its a 10/10 recommendation from me.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

Silent Hill 1-4, SOMA, Dead Space and anything by Yames.

• Starr43
    Starr43 Member Posts: 873

The Suffering.

I’m still hoping for remake/remaster someday so I have to recommend it. Other than that there are tons of good suggestions here.

• Starr43
    Starr43 Member Posts: 873

TLOU is legitimately my favourite game of all time.

Days Gone is severely underrated IMO. Gameplay is a blast and honestly I enjoyed the story quite a bit. Enough to play it more than once… TLOU though.. lost count since 2013 and hit 999 in factions lol. Part 2 absolutely has replay value as well.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

Days Gone is an awesome game I too enjoyed it a lot. I'm planning on doing a run without the fast travel😀 just don't know when seems like it would take forever to beat it.

Hell yeah TLOU been playing from back then too when I upgrade to the PS4 factions became to sweaty for me if I do play factions it's a couple games or so. Part 1,2 I play them pretty regularly.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

I haven't played really any horror games, however recently I started the hd remake of Resident Evil and I'm enjoying it so I'm probably going to continue playing the Resident Evil games.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Silent hill 1

Little nightmares 1 and 2

Soma if you're into slow gameplay

I would say devotion but sadly that's not available anymore

And just as a bonus, the deltarune snowgrave route ;)