The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

After a year of original characters is there any consideration to add more licensed characters?

TigerKirby215
TigerKirby215 Member Posts: 604
edited December 2018 in General Discussions

The SAW(registered trademark) Chapter was released back on the 23rd of January this year. It has now been nearly a full year and every new character has been an original creation from Behavior. Kate Denson, Adam Francis, Jeff Johansen, Kenneth "Jeffrey Hawk" Chase the Clown, Rin Yamaoka the Spirit, and Frank / Julie / Susie / Joey the Legion have all been great additions to the game and I think the community has grown a great attachment to all of them.
But I have to wonder if there are any more considerations for liscensed characters from other media. Don't get me wrong I love all the new Killers we have obtained and the new Survivors are wonderful too, but nothing is more exciting than being Laurie Strode running away from Leatherface, or Detective David Tapp hiding from Michael Myers.

I'm not begging for any new characters here but I'd love to know if Behavior has some consideration for other liscensed DLCs. My hope is that (along with famous horror movies like Child's Play, Hellraiser, It, Alien, and Psycho) the developers will consider doing some more video game crossovers akin to Bill from Left 4 Dead. I've seen great suggestions on Reddit for Killers based on Hotline Miami, Party Hard, and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. And while I doubt it will ever happen I'd be overjoyed to have The Wendigo from Until Dawn, the Baker family from Resident Evil 7, or even something as obscure as the Scissorman from Clock Tower.
I don't want to discourage Behavior from making their own original content but I'd be lying if I said that offical liscensed characters attract a lot more attention than "Chinese sweatshop horror knockoffs." I know that I personally became a lot more interested in Dead by Daylight when I heard that Michael Myers was going to be a playable Killer than when "discount Silent Hill" was added to the game.

Comments

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

I'm not really keen on any more licensed killers simply because they are all left in the dumpster and weak.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    They got most of the big ones anyway. Jason is the last one but he's in limbo.
  • Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

I'd prefer original killers. If it makes you feel any better, I constantly see requests for a "Scream" killer. You can just pretend Legion is "Ghostface".

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

Oh, I guess I should include a reason why. A couple of reasons. 1) Licensed killers require spending real money to unlock. Original killers can be bought with shards. 2.) Licensed killers are a hassle to make new cosmetics for which is evident since no licensed killer has received a single new outfit 3.) Licensed killers have limited design space to fit into DBD. Their power might be cool in a movie, but have difficulty fitting into the game. (see Freddy)

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    They have one more chapter to finish the Roadmap. Who knows what happens after that, but I think a Licenced killer could be quite possible after thag
  • Sandt21
    Sandt21 Member Posts: 761
    God I hope we get more licensed killers. Yes original killers are quite awesome, and we should have more of them over licensed killers, but they don’t bring the hype anywhere near what licensed killers do. Especially ones that are downright legendary around horror circles. When Jason Voorhees is finally added to DbD (Yes, I said when, not if), the devs are gonna make money hand over fist.
  • GreenietheSlime
    GreenietheSlime Member Posts: 4

@Dreamnomad said:
    Oh, I guess I should include a reason why. A couple of reasons. 1) Licensed killers require spending real money to unlock. Original killers can be bought with shards. 2.) Licensed killers are a hassle to make new cosmetics for which is evident since no licensed killer has received a single new outfit 3.) Licensed killers have limited design space to fit into DBD. Their power might be cool in a movie, but have difficulty fitting into the game. (see Freddy)

Thank You!

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134

I have enjoyed their original killers more. I love Myers but the rest are just too fun and I hope for more.

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165

I honestly think we don't need anymore licensed killers or survivors, it's just going to lead to them getting mid to garbage tier perks anyways. I think the possible only one we could get is maybe CandyMan, but idk.

• Tru3Lemon
    Tru3Lemon Member Posts: 1,358

i will tell you the licence dlc that could be in this game and i will say also those that are not going to be in this game

1.-alien: not going to be in it reason: hes not human
    2.-child play aka chucky: not going to be reason devs said that they wont put a killer doll in this game (maybe it will be in it who knows)
    3.-psycho: maybe.....
    4.-candyman: i see him good in this game
    5.-silent hill: meh..
    6.-hotline miami: i mean the characters arent killers cant say spoiler if ppl didint play the game
    7.-wendigo: maybe
    8.-all resident evil i dont think so except if its like bill dlc then yes probably
    9.-alot ppl also want in this game jason and im going to say this he will NOT be in this game devs adress jason similar as the trapper but also jason have hes own game.

• Sandt21
    Tru3Lemon said:

i will tell you the licence dlc that could be in this game and i will say also those that are not going to be in this game

2.-child play aka chucky: not going to be reason devs said that they wont put a killer doll in this game (maybe it will be in it who knows)
    6.-hotline miami: i mean the characters arent killers cant say spoiler if ppl didint play the game
    8.-all resident evil i dont think so except if its like bill dlc then yes probably
    9.-alot ppl also want in this game jason and im going to say this he will NOT be in this game devs adress jason similar as the trapper but also jason have hes own game.

Actually, the Devs have said they’d like to have Jason and he will always have “a standing invitation.”
  • Dokta_Carter
    Dokta_Carter Member Posts: 614
    edited December 2018
    Tru3Lemon said:

But we have "Knockoff Silent Hill" already so... Licenced Silent Hill would and could,in my honest opinion, only be bigman pyramid head rushing fer ya... Oh dear god imagining that made me cringe
  • TigerKirby215

@Tru3Lemon said:

1. There's nothing stopping a non-human Killer from being added into the game. The Xenomorph still has a generally humanoid figure which means they can still use the regular body animations (well more like Hag's body animations.) I believe the issue with adding non-humans is adding quadrupeds which would need new animations and would probably need a lot of map adjusting to accomidate their forms.
    2. Well they also said there wouldn't be a Clown Killer and look how that turned out.
    3. Norman Bates would be fun as just a regular dude but honestly I don't know how he'd be anything more than a T1 Myers clone.
    4. I know nothing about Candyman and therefor can't comment on their viability in this game.
    5. Konami is a ######### with their IPs. Not going to happen.
    6. I mean they are they still kill people. :^) Huntress similarly isn't really a "killer" but she still slaughters people in-game.
    7. Would have to talk to the Until Dawn people. IDK if it would be on all platforms though and a platform exclusive Killer would suck.
    8. I think Resident Evil is possible but talking with Capcom is hard. The real problem is that Resi is much more of an action genre now as opposed to a horror genre. The Baker family would still be cool though.
    9. Jason won't happen because of copyright - that's why F13 isn't being worked on anymore.
  • lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

Just putting it out there, the copyright case for F13 has already been settled so that is not an issue.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

As long as it's from a decent movie / franchise i don't mind, i really want a non-human killer for once tho, just to amp up the creepy factor, the hag is close to that but i think they can do something even better.

• Crythor
    Crythor Member Posts: 296

I am personally againt more licenced killer . I like original killers more and people cant buy licenced killers with shards so i am against that too. If they bring out a good killer i give them money if not i get it with shards. Also locking more perks behind paywall/shrine rng is terrible.

• Tru3Lemon

licensed killers i see in this game its ghostface, babadook, maybe slenderman i dont know, the ring, evil dead.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

We need chucky.

Everyone goes crazy for Jason but Trapper already looks like him. Honestly, they can do a great job with chucky and make him the scariest killer out there.

I think that the next killer will be licensed but who knows.

• Kamikaze_Rose
    Kamikaze_Rose Member Posts: 247
    I just want The Hell Priest aka Pinhead. After that, I honestly don't care whether they ever do another licensed killer or not. 
  • RSB
    RSB Member Posts: 2,258

Don't destroy another icon killer, please...

• XxAtomicAlfiexX
    XxAtomicAlfiexX Member Posts: 395

I WANT JASON !!! friday the 13th is my favorite horror film series and my 2nd favorite horror film (i saying it by itself because im not sure how else to say it).

• Ajritoka
    Ajritoka Member Posts: 594
    The only reason I’d really like another licensed character, is so I don’t have to worry about collecting the thousands of cosmetics they would release for a new character. I already have enough on my plate trying to get everyone else’s cosmetics.
  • Tru3Lemon

@Delfador said:
    We need chucky.

Everyone goes crazy for Jason but Trapper already looks like him. Honestly, they can do a great job with chucky and make him the scariest killer out there.

they already said that killer dolls wont be in this game hes soo small that how he jump to windows or how he destroy pallets xd or how he grab a survivor

• Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,532
    edited December 2018

Hi, am I the only person who thinks there is an immense amount of mileage in adding Blake and Stevie Wayne from The Fog?
    As it is, DBD is set "In the Fog", the whole mist mechanic could be amped up to create a super spooky cloak under which the killer can move freely. As for Stevie, we have Jamie Lee Curtis in the game, why not another classic 80's icon, in Adrienne Barbeau!?

Seriously!!! Let's get behind this!!!

• TigerKirby215
    edited December 2018

@Tru3Lemon said:
    licensed killers i see in this game its ghostface, babadook, maybe slenderman i dont know, the ring, evil dead.

Doubt Ghostface will happen beyond possibly a skin for Legion. (Which I'd buy instantly btw) Babadook is a bit too niche and Evil Dead is kinda too campy for this game. (You can't make Ash a Survivor because he'd just kill all the Killers.) I don't know how they'd make The Ring into a Killer or what Survivor they'd include.
    And Slenderman... I'd prefer to keep away from pop culture. A Slenderman inspired killer I can get behind but nothing would make me cringe harder than having to clense "pages."

@Tru3Lemon said:

@Delfador said:
    We need chucky.

they already said that killer dolls wont be in this game hes soo small that how he jump to windows or how he destroy pallets xd or how he grab a survivor

Again: they also said there wouldn't be a Clown killer and look how that turned out.

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428
    Supernaut said:

Hi, am I the only person who thinks there is an immense amount of mileage in adding Blake and Stevie Wayne from The Fog?
    As it is, DBD is set "In the Fog", the whole mist mechanic could be amped up to create a super spooky cloak under which the killer can move freely. As for Stevie, we have Jamie Lee Curtis in the game, why not another classic 80's icon, in Adrienne Barbeau!?

Seriously!!! Let's get behind this!!!

Who?
       ⬆
    Thats the problem with certain licensed character ideas. They are not nearly iconic enough to be recognised.
  • yoimba
    yoimba Member Posts: 2

Jack Torrance from the Shining would be gold.

• NightmareReborn
    NightmareReborn Member Posts: 810

@Tru3Lemon said:

Babadook? I wonder how that would work...

• NightmareReborn
    NightmareReborn Member Posts: 810
    edited December 2018

I said this on another thread earlier today. Say what you want, but I would love to see Springtrap from the FNaF series. He just fits perfectly for many reasons.
    A) Back in the days of 2014-15, Five Nights at Freddy's was HUGE. I mean like gargantuan. It even had a major part in YouTube Rewind in 2015.
    B ) Five Night's at Freddy's is scheduled for a film adaptation sometime past 2020. I doubt if it wouldn't be at least considered then. One of the devs already said they wanted to see a FNaF character in the game.
    C) Springtrap/William Afton is PERFECT for a killer role in DbD. He killed dozens of innocent children by luring them away and then killing them. He would add new variety into the game because he is the first killer to partially non-human (with the other part being robot obviously). William Afton controls the suit, so its technically still human.

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367

I would like to see The Red Nun from Remothered as a killer.

• Ajritoka

I said this on another thread earlier today. Say what you want, but I would love to see Springtrap from the FNaF series. He just fits perfectly for many reasons.
    A) Back in the days of 2014-15, Five Nights at Freddy's was HUGE. I mean like gargantuan. It even had a major part in YouTube Rewind in 2015.
    B ) Five Night's at Freddy's is scheduled for a film adaptation sometime past 2020. I doubt if it wouldn't be at least considered then. One of the devs already said they wanted to see a FNaF character in the game.
    C) Springtrap/William Afton is PERFECT for a killer role in DbD. He killed dozens of innocent children by luring them away and then killing them. He would add new variety into the game because he is the first killer to partially non-human (with the other part being robot obviously). William Afton controls the suit, so its technically still human.

The Nightmare killed children, The Doctor has some mechanical alterations, and The Shape is literally not human.

Although, I would like to see William in the game.
  • Sandt21

The Nightmare killed children, The Doctor has some mechanical alterations, and The Shape is literally not human.

Going off the current canon, Meyers is nothing but human.
  • Justicar
    Justicar Member Posts: 319

Personally, I'd prefer a quarter or two of no new killers or survivors, but instead focus entirely on bug fixes, streamlining, and enhancing gameplay. I think that will be better for the game long term.

• Ajritoka
    Justicar said:

Personally, I'd prefer a quarter or two of no new killers or survivors, but instead focus entirely on bug fixes, streamlining, and enhancing gameplay. I think that will be better for the game long term.

^ This.
  • Dokta_Carter
    Dokta_Carter Member Posts: 614
    Sandt21 said:

Wasn't he orginally human, that slowly became consumed by darkness, thus "losing his humanity?"
  • Ajritoka
    Sandt21 said:

Wasn't he orginally human, that slowly became consumed by darkness, thus "losing his humanity?"
    Loomis states multiple times that Michael is not human, and simply pure evil, with the sole intent to kill. Even as a child, he had no emotions and even killed his sister for no apparent reason. His power is called Evil Within after all.
  • Ajritoka
    Sandt21 said:

Loomis states multiple times that Michael is not human, and simply pure evil, with the sole intent to kill. Even as a child, he had no emotions and even killed his sister for no apparent reason. His power is called Evil Within after all.
  • KILLZalotz
    KILLZalotz Member Posts: 4

I say pumpkin head would be a good addition....

This discussion has been closed.