Why SBMM Will Vary Based On Playstyle.

Options

SBMM is out and so far everyone's opinion on it is divided. YouTubers such as Otzvada and Dowsey have come out and expressed their personal opinions towards the new matchmaking however it's still divided on what people think. This is just an overview and explanation on why SBMM isn't working for some but still working for others, I am not trying to say your wrong if you enjoy MMR I am just trying to show that it has fundamental flaws which are ruining the DbD experience.

Well we now have an imbalance because for killers what's classed as "winning" is kills, gaining MMR as killer is easy for new players as a result, however for survivor it's escaping which if you look at old statistics from Rank Based Matchmaking (RBM) you realise that escaping is harder than getting kills. In RBM killers got a 3 to 4k every 2 games and survivors got an escape every 4 games. This provides a serious imbalance.

As well as this the things BHVR count as "winning" can be easily cheated (not literally cheated) into gaining high MMR. To gain high MMR as killer you just face camp and tunnel, easy 2k which boosts your MMR. To gain high MMR as survivor just hide all game till the generators are done or bring a key and go for hatch, this escape boots your MMR without any skill required. This all together means that Skill Based Matchmaking is not really based on skill, it's based on your play style. If your a survivor, you hide all game and escape your rewarded, but if your a survivor, you loop the killer for all the gens and die your punished. For killer if you play what survivors consider "scummy" you get rewarded, but if your a killer, you counter loops, get lots of hooks but don't get many kills you get punished.

Because of the new high MMR playstyles some meta perks now become more frequent in games. As a result of killers camping and tunnelling more you see more players using DS and Unbreakable and because survivors hide all game you see more use of aura revealing perks such as BBQ & Chili and Bitter Murmur. This further restricts the games accessibility and enjoyability because not everyone has access to all these perks and not everyone wants to use these perks and would rather meme and use more fun perks such as Head On.

Look I'm not bashing anyone who uses these perks or plays in these ways this is not any players fault this is purely BHVR, and they know this but don't really care as seen in their "What is a win" video. I just think I should go into more depth about why MMR isn't working for everyone rather than just saying "I have terrible games all the time I want this removed". We can't fix something unless we know the problem with it. I also know that the opinion on MMR is split with some people despising it and some people loving it however as I've just proven the playstyle you all choose is going to effect how much enjoyment you get out of MMR so it's going to vary. I'm sorry to go on a rant but I just had to get my opinion out because ever since MMR I've had less enjoyment playing DbD.

Comments

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,807
    Options

They said that hatch escapes result in a NULL result, other than that I can’t disagree with what you’ve said.

• LegionMainsRCute
    LegionMainsRCute Member Posts: 25
    Options

Still though if you leave your entire team to die on a map where the exit gates are spread out it's a clean escape isn't it? Look at Dowsey's Hardcore Survivor Season 1 and see how many clean escapes he gets by doing that, if you do that constantly and use map offerings you will get high MMR in no time at all.

• EqMonkVeeshan
    EqMonkVeeshan Member Posts: 416
    Options

the biggest takeaway is basically they said the leak about the MMR system was accurate there for. you got 5% of survivors at the highest tier of MMR and about 90% of killer players there. so its super out of balanced only 5% on each side should approach that area. so it leads a lot to think that killers now have it to easy for this MMR system to work properly. also leads to much longer killer lobbies because so many killers are queuing up in that MMR area.