Why are people so obsessed over this idea of the power role?

Shouldn't we try and reach a more balanced game not one side dominating the other. Why do you want to dominate every survivor you come across when playing killer or every killer you play against you need to beat and dominate. What's people's obsession over feeling power over others.

This game isn't and Shouldn't be a power fantasy and a mindset like this in my opinion is toxic.

Comments

• Don't people play video games for feeling of power

• KnotEnthusiast
    KnotEnthusiast Member Posts: 464

But people parrot it thinking it means they should be more powerful inherently, which is foolish. Its a common refrain by low skill players to whinge that the game is unbalanced because the side that is the "power role" has the ability to lose or get outplayed.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,380

The thing is the killer needs to be stronger than an individual survivor otherwise there is no way for a single killer to win against 4 survivors (assuming equal skill).

Trying to make so that a single survivor can perfectly match the killer is going to create a game where killers have little reason to actually play.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

Maybe for single player games but in pvp games where your facing other people and not computers feeling the need to be domineering towards other seesm bad

• Freddy96
    Freddy96 Member Posts: 767
    edited October 2021

Simply because some people wanted this game to satisfy their personal insecurities by impersonating the big bad guy that kills everyone and overpowers them. Turned out that would've been possible only when playing survivor (swf) so they're frustrated.

IMO there shouldn't be a power role at all. Both sides should have the exact same possibility of winning.

The ones that advocate for killers being the power role just want to shift the game unbalance of the game on the killer side instead of the survivor side.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

Yes but here both sides should be equal in terms of power but some people take it that they need to completely dominate the other making the other side seems as oppressed as possible, which I think is a bad mindset

• well i mean dominating cpu's isn't exactly what people want

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Power role just refers to the one (killer) being equal in strength to the 4 (survivor). Currently the 4 (survivor) DOMINATE the 1 in every way when played a certain way, making them the "power role"

Sadly this game is viewed as a 1v1v1v1v1 rather than a 4v1 so when a survivor dies they cry about how op a killer is while ignoring the other 3 t-bagging in the exit gate

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Because it is 1vs4?

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267
    edited October 2021

LOL people acting as if survivors crossing a gate in a video game is a "power role" XD With that, the killer IS the power role. Since the survivors can't fight back. It's matter of survivors having the ability to outplay a killer long enough to avoid getting downed.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184

Because they didn't play Deathgarden and see what happens when you make your game into a kill simulator.

• NinthPixel
    NinthPixel Member Posts: 60

The immersion is a bad guy stalking 4 survivors. The game of DBD often turns into a game of cheer, click and jog around the maniac with a knife.

I am perfectly fine if all 4 survivors escape, but let me get a couple hooks and be immersed into being a spooky bad guy. Not some lame hide and seek game with an out of place Halloween skin.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599

That's not what it means at all. The point of an asymmetrical game is there are more of one side, and a stronger other side.