Reported for Camping: Are Survivors Really This Entitled?

Just had this Nea say she was going to report me for camping because I ruined her fun. Well yeah, no ######### I ruined your fun. I killed you and took you out of the game. That's literally what I'm supposed to do.

It baffles me that survivors think they're entitled to fun, fair game where they always get free unhooks and easy escapes. They run BNPs with powerful perks like SB, SC, DS, IW and pallet loop me to infinity, but they're "just doing what it takes to survive." Whereas when it comes to a killer camping, slugging, tunneling, etc. there's suddenly a 10 page rulebook or code of conduct that we're supposed to abide by.

I don't give a damn about your fun. If you're in a game with me and you happen to have fun, that's great and I'm glad were able to enjoy the experience, but if not, you don't need to get all pissy at me because I played the game the way I wanted. So what if I Insidious Leatherface basement camped (I don't, but let's say I do), that's your problem, not mine. YOU'RE the one that has to adapt to my playstyle with this killer.

Comments

• Crabdawg
    Crabdawg Member Posts: 22
    It always makes me laugh when people say that as if Insidious doesn't exist. 
  • rollerskate
    rollerskate Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2018

you know how when you drop a 100% bp offering as killer, but you aren't able to use it because the survivors use scummy tactics to escape quickly & you aren't able to get many points at all?

it's kinda the same for a survivor when they get camped with a bp offering 😔😔

• BombDiggaT
    BombDiggaT Member Posts: 45

@Crabdawg said:
    It always makes me laugh when people say that as if Insidious doesn't exist.

I mentioned insidious. It's a weak and boring perk, in my opinion, but if some people want to use it and Leatherface basement camp then I say let them. People are constantly trying to dictate how others play, and I'm just sick of everyone bitching and moaning that I didn't play the way I wanted them to just so they could get free unhooks and easy escapes.

@rollerskate said:
    you know how when you drop a 100% bp offering as killer, but you aren't able to use it because the survivors use scummy tactics to escape quickly & you aren't able to get many points at all?

No, I don't know that feeling, because I don't give a ######### about amassing points. I care about killing survivors. Even so, if you take away the offering aspect your argument becomes nonexistent.

• Crabdawg
    I was agreeing with you.
  • BombDiggaT
    BombDiggaT Member Posts: 45

@Crabdawg said:
    I was agreeing with you.

Oh I see now. I didn't know exactly what you were saying.

• Crabdawg

@Crabdawg said:
    I was agreeing with you.

Oh I see now. I didn't know exactly what you were saying.

I should of worded it better then haha
  • mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891
    edited June 2018

@BombDiggaT said:
    No, I don't know that feeling, because I don't give a ######### about amassing points. I care about killing survivors. Even so, if you take away the offering aspect your argument becomes nonexistent.

So, you care about killing survivors because playing the game & completing objectives is fun to you, right?

Now think about what it'd be like if a survivor trapped you in Lery's corner or in a bugged pallet and everyone else kept playing the game & you weren't able to. You'd say that survivor was ruining your fun, because it keeps you from being able to participate.

Before you complain that trapping the killer is using an exploit: that's not what I'm saying. I'm giving you a walk-through on the concept of empathy.

• Cetren
    Cetren Member Posts: 985
    edited June 2018

@BombDiggaT said:

So, you care about killing survivors because playing the game & completing objectives is fun to you, right?

Now think about what it'd be like if a survivor trapped you in Lery's corner or in a bugged pallet and everyone else kept playing the game & you weren't able to. You'd say that survivor was ruining your fun, because it keeps you from being able to participate.

Before you complain that trapping the killer is using an exploit: that's not what I'm saying. I'm giving you a walk-through on the concept of empathy.

I think the overarching issue is that survivors have rules concerning their enjoyment every game that don't necessarily fully encompass or account for the people on the other team that also want varying measures of success and satisfaction which cannot be achieved under the pre-established notion that certain stages are ruled out as unfair, despite them being the only objectively reasonable way to win a game.
  • cepps87
    cepps87 Member Posts: 3

I laugh like the Doctor everytime survivors complain and I respond by saying "Go ######### on my wall" (close lobby)

• mintchapstick

@Cetren said:
    I think the overarching issue is that survivors have rules concerning their enjoyment every game that don't necessarily fully encompass or account for the people on the other team that also want varying measures of success and satisfaction which cannot be achieved under the pre-established notion that certain stages are ruled out as unfair, despite them being the only objectively reasonable way to win a game.

Yeah, that makes sense & I get that, because that's exactly what the other side is saying. Like, you can 100% flip that back on the OP:

• Killers have rules concerning their enjoyment that doesn't fully encompass or account for the people on the other team that also want varying measures of success and satisfaction that cannot be achieved, etc, etc, etc.

In other words:

• Cetren

@Cetren said:

Yeah, that makes sense & I get that, because that's exactly what the other side is saying. Like, you can 100% flip that back on the OP:

• Killers have rules concerning their enjoyment that doesn't fully encompass or account for the people on the other team that also want varying measures of success and satisfaction that cannot be achieved, etc, etc, etc.

In other words:

Name some that you hear in the aftergame chat frequently? Like, not in a way that they should or should not do this. Because most of the time when I hear killers complain it's not some made up rule but instead the state of the game or things within the game that could mechanically be changed, not some code of honor survivors are supposed to adhere to.
  • Zanfer
    Zanfer Member Posts: 647

@mintchapstick said:

@BombDiggaT said:

still that example has no ground under it cause it is an exploit. He wasn't talking about exploits....

• mintchapstick
    edited June 2018

@Cetren said:
    Name some that you hear in the aftergame chat frequently? Like, not in a way that they should or should not do this. Because most of the time when I hear killers complain it's not some made up rule but instead the state of the game or things within the game that could mechanically be changed, not some code of honor survivors are supposed to adhere to.

Multiple people freak the hell out on me for doing simple things like dissembling their totems. It isn't, 'the game has bad totem placement' it's 'you ######### you took down my totems, I hope your family gets murdered.' Like, yeah, sorry? I searched for them & I took them down because that's part of the game.

People complain habitually about people using perks that they don't like, and say that they're personally scummy pieces of garbage for using perks. Or juking. Or being good at playing stealthy. etc etc etc. I very rarely see people in-game complain about the game mechanics and usually it's a direct attack & a suggestion that players are bad people for using tools given to them.

Hence why I say, both sides do it.

@Zanfer said:
    still that example has no ground under it cause it is an exploit. He wasn't talking about exploits....

Y'all need a lesson in empathy, apparently.

• Zanfer

@mintchapstick said:

@Cetren said:

Multiple people freak the hell out on me for doing simple things like dissembling their totems. It isn't, 'the game has bad totem placement' it's 'you ######### you took down my totems, I hope your family gets murdered.' Like, yeah, sorry? I searched for them & I took them down because that's part of the game.

People complain habitually about people using perks that they don't like, and say that they're personally scummy pieces of garbage for using perks. Or juking. Or being good at playing stealthy. etc etc etc. I very rarely see people in-game complain about the game mechanics and usually it's a direct attack & a suggestion that players are bad people for using tools given to them.

@Zanfer said:

Use words. Ok so I "missed" your point. You were talking about people trapping the killer in a corner. Yeah it is a scummy thing and makes the killer not have fun like you said. There is a difference between exploiting the killers fun, while survivors complain on how a killer plays without exploits.

• mintchapstick

@Zanfer said:
    Use words. Ok so I "missed" your point. You were talking about people trapping the killer in a corner. Yeah it is a scummy thing and makes the killer not have fun like you said. There is a difference between exploiting the killers fun, while survivors complain on how a killer plays without exploits.

Ignore everything else about the situation. I'm not talking about game mechanics, I'm talking about the human people that are playing the game.

You were talking about people trapping the killer in a corner. Yeah it is a scummy thing and makes the killer not have fun like you said

Every time you sit in front of someone on the hook, you're degrading the experience for an actual, human person.
    Every time a purple flashlight SWF group blinds the killer over and over again, they're degrading the experience for a human person.
    Every time someone catches the killer in an exploit, they're degrading the experience for a human person. Every time a killer follows someone around for the entire match and ignores players running between them, they're degrading the experience for a human person.

That's my point. My point is that having an attitude of, "######### your fun, I do what I want to get mine" is ######### and unsportsmanlike.

My point was further that both sides do it, and it's ######### for both sides to have that attitude, and that literally everyone playing this game with that attitude needs to stop, take a breath, and remember that you aren't playing with AI and that you should work on your empathy skills & the way that you treat other people, especially if you want to have a community.

Or you (general you) can just be a dick and make choices that make people miserable and then wonder why people are miserable at you, and you can just continue to spiral into Miserable Dicktown until you find a new game to ruin for yourself & everyone who comes across you.

• Zanfer

@mintchapstick said:

@Zanfer said:

Ignore everything else about the situation. I'm not talking about game mechanics, I'm talking about the human people that are playing the game.

You were talking about people trapping the killer in a corner. Yeah it is a scummy thing and makes the killer not have fun like you said

Every time you sit in front of someone on the hook, you're degrading the experience for an actual, human person.
    Every time a purple flashlight SWF group blinds the killer over and over again, they're degrading the experience for a human person.
    Every time someone catches the killer in an exploit, they're degrading the experience for a human person. Every time a killer follows someone around for the entire match and ignores players running between them, they're degrading the experience for a human person.

That's my point. My point is that having an attitude of, "[BAD WORD] your fun, I do what I want to get mine" is ######### and unsportsmanlike.

My point was further that both sides do it, and it's ######### for both sides to have that attitude, and that literally everyone playing this game with that attitude needs to stop, take a breath, and remember that you aren't playing with AI and that you should work on your empathy skills & the way that you treat other people, especially if you want to have a community.

Or you (general you) can just be a dick and make choices that make people miserable and then wonder why people are miserable at you, and you can just continue to spiral into Miserable Dicktown until you find a new game to ruin for yourself & everyone who comes across you.

I already agree with you cause I myself play both roles well enough to know you need both sides to have a game. Your points are odd cause they are game mechanics, but if you don't use the game mechanics than why are they even in the game. Exploits are different, but I know you are talking about empathy towards human beings. This is a video game where you are expected to lose sometimes.

• mintchapstick

@Zanfer said:
    I already agree with you cause I myself play both roles well enough to know you need both sides to have a game. Your points are odd cause they are game mechanics, but if you don't use the game mechanics than why are they even in the game. Exploits are different, but I know you are talking about empathy towards human beings. This is a video game where you are expected to lose sometimes.

Yeah, it's literally just the empathy angle that I want to get across. I used the exploit as an example because it's the most direct way to explain to someone why someone would be upset with them making it so that they literally can't play the game. Does that make sense?

• Zanfer

@mintchapstick said:

@Zanfer said:

Yeah, it's literally just the empathy angle that I want to get across. I used the exploit as an example because it's the most direct way to explain to someone why someone would be upset with them making it so that they literally can't play the game. Does that make sense?

Indeed

• Cetren
    edited June 2018

@Cetren said:

@Zanfer said:

Once again, they're not saying you SHOULDN'T break their totems AFAIK. They're mad at a faulty system which put them at a disadvantage because totem spawns are sucky. They're upset their totem got taken out, not that you didn't abide by their rules. GAME fault vs. HUMAN fault. If they simply fixed the totem spawn issue, the number of complaints would reasonably drop. I'm not talking about someone making a complaint about something you did, that's not what the thread is about. People want and need to vent. I'm talking about the first three words in the title of this thread, "reported for camping." I have, only once or twice in thousands of hours, had a killer attempt to report me for something they thought was bannable. And in all instances, it wasn't even their fault, they're were >100 hour noobs. They just didn't know. They aren't trying to force me to play a certain way under thread of bans. There's a huge difference between complaining about a game mechanic that is broken, and legitimately trying to FORCE a player to play a certain way to make you happy. It's the difference from fix the game so the experience is more fair and abide by my rules or you will be punished.

I have all the empathy in the world for people who didn't like the game went. I have no empathy for people who try to fear monger or threaten in order to try and secure THEMSELVES (not empathetic) a better experience.
  • Kilrane
    Kilrane Member Posts: 89
    Somehow a thread that is about the expectations of behavior that Survivors have for Killers turned into a debate about a whataboutism.