Do you guys also realize that something is wrong with scratch marks?

Options
BenZ0
BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
edited October 2021 in General Discussions

Me and a friend realized that 3 weeks ago but it feels like it is getting worse.

It seems that the scratch marks sometimes appear a few seconds delayed. This causes me to lose the survivor if he runs around certain tiles or multiple corners cuz I see the scratch marks too late.

Comments

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,545
    Options

Sometimes they don’t appear at all for patches. Even though I have seen a surv running all the way. Just had a match on the Game yesterday and there were no scratchmarks on a stair at all.

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

Yeah I’ve been noticing some weirdness on Xbox X. Scratch marks with big gaps in between even though the survivor is running the whole time.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

The only times I can't seem to follow scratch marks is when survivors run on any kind of incline or decline. Every single time a survivor runs on stairs or the hill their scratch marks literally just disappear.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758
    edited October 2021
    Options

It's been weird for a long time so I'm not surprised whether this is some placebo or not.

Many inconsistent encounters I've experienced would be scratch marks on stair locations mostly.

It is not terrible as old Ormond's scratch marks covered with snowy floors but STILL they take up more range than they should.

• BaschFonRonsenburg
    BaschFonRonsenburg Member Posts: 307
    Options

Not sure if this is new or not maybe I never noticed it but scratch marks can still be visible when you are carrying the survivor that made them if you pick them up right away. IMO they should disappear immediately when they get downed.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Yes they are buggy for a while and inconsistent so I cant even tell what makes them not appear sometimes

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169
    Options

They've been shadow nerfed since 2019, then the Free Iron Will Bug happened, also in 2019, and is still happening today, tomorrow, forever.

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169
    Options

Scratch marks are less bright, they have delays and desyncs, they disapear fast sometimes because of desync too, they lack a clear indication of direction, they have gaps between them even if running in straight lines. These changes are from October/November 2019 when Oni came out.

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197
    Options

I wonder if this is connected to the intermittent chase music I've been having? It wouldn't surprise me if the game detected chases via fresh scratch marks and with them being intermittent the associated chases are considered intermittent?

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

I have had scratch marks disappear during a continuous chase where I was in LoS about 3 to 5 meters away for a few seconds. There is reasoning with the Scratched Mark God.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options
  • Mistakesweremade
    Mistakesweremade Member Posts: 229
    Options

Yeah me too, I think it is related to ping or something because I have noticed this happening more frequently the worse my ping is.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,253
    Options

Scratch marks are just delayed from the killers perspective they fade in they don't just appear

• Animal_Mother
    Animal_Mother Member Posts: 149
    Options

I've been noticing this a lot recently too. Sometimes, they don't leave scratch marks. Sometimes, the scratch marks are really delayed. I've wonder if the person is cheating to not leave scratch marks, but I assume it could be just a bug.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

As survivor I'll see my own scratch marks randomly, more often on the indoor maps. Been like this for awhile.

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968
    Options

Since pinhead's release I've noticed that on PS4 that the scratchmarks don't load as a survivor runs anymore, but seemingly batch load into the tile all at once after the survivor has passed through it.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    Options

On PS5 I have been getting intermittent scratch marks. Even if a survivor runs in a straight line the marks are there, gone and there again. It's worse when they go around an los blocker and they disappear. Lost some survivors because of this and they had no removal perks like dance with me or deception equipped and nothing like quick and quiet either.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Yes. It's been really difficult to track survivors recently because scratch marks have felt misleading.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442
    Options

There always was something wrong with scrathmarks, so its not a bug anymore but a "feature" at this point.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,796
    Options

I don't know if it's me but they appear wayyyyy more smaller than usual? If that makes sense

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

Scratchies have been inconsistent for like 6 months maybe more, so yes they have been pretty bad for a while.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

Just a shadow nerf. The delay got added first and then increased. then the gaps got added in another update.

I have had many instances where i will see a survivor running full sprint with bbq and teleport to them with range addons on nurse, only to find zero scratch marks. Its almost like they don't render them if you are not looking at them.

completing a gen also seems to just erase all scratch marks. I have had many games where they pop it in clear line of sight and i see them run away at the edges of the screen, but don't find any scratch marks in the area.

• v4lor
    v4lor Member Posts: 74
    Options

Scratch marks have gotten worse gradually over the years, starting before there was even a console version.

Did you know they used to appear on grass? One day DBD had an engine update and poof, they wouldn't show on grass anymore. No mention in the patch notes, no notice at all by the devs, just a huge nerf to one of the core aspects of tracking survivors. A lot of people didn't notice either, since sound actually worked at that point in DBD and was a reliable source of tracking instead of randomly not playing noise sometimes (footsteps, sounds of pain with no iron will, silent slug bug, survivors not making falling noises, etc)

Lately, scratch marks sometimes don't appear (not through using perks), sometimes they scatter everywhere *except* where the survivor ran. It's pretty atrocious, honestly.

I've learned to mostly ignore them at this point for the better tracking option; All you gotta do is follow the blood, CJ.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747
    Options

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought the survivor mightve used a perk to hide scratch marks but its inconsistent.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,600
    Options

Scratch marks are one of the most inconsistent things about this game, and act as a built-in second chance for survivors a lot of the time.

• Onykron
    Onykron Member Posts: 62
    Options

lets add it to the ever growing list of killer impacting bugs wich will never be adress since BHVR cant fix killer related issues without destroying the game in some way.

• CookieBaws
    CookieBaws Member Posts: 619
    Options

Same with blood pools, sometimes they just stop appearing for a moment.

• Anara
    Anara Member Posts: 1,297
    Options

I though it was just me but Im not alone, good to know, hope they fix it soon

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    Options

ye I know about the grass thing aswell, I was pissed. But you kinda get used to it, but you cant really get used to it when they dont even appear xD

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

If a survivor runs too tightly a corner or up a staircase/slope with stretched rez, it can bug the scratch marks to make them not appear.

So if that happens in your game, just leave / go afk, you're not going to win against a cheater