Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

would anyone care if there were no more crossovers if it meant no more NFTs / license endings?

deckyr
deckyr Member Posts: 795

honestly, like.

the stranger things license ending is just, frankly, ridiculous. NFTs are completely intolerable for anyone who cares about the environment. (this is not an NFT debate thread).

does bhvr think we really just hate the original content that much? last i checked, we love the original killers & survivors. most of my games are against original killers.

like, wow... it's pinhead, from, that one movie. cool. do we care more about it being That Guy from That Thing than we care about the actual gameplay of the character? am i just missing the vibe?

is Mikaela just dead on arrival because she's not from something else? or is she dead on arrival because of this NFT garbage? my bet is on the latter, for what it's worth.

maybe instead of bending over backwards and sacrificing the integrity of the game to get random pulls from random movies, you could just make the same mechanics using original characters until someone gives you a contract worth signing.

because honestly, stranger things being time-limited and pinhead requiring NFTs? i wouldn't have signed either of those.

Comments

• Exult
    Exult Member Posts: 101

I don't hate the original content. I love their designs. I'm sure most people do. Or, I'm optimistic that most people do. If it meant no NFTs then yeah I'd be fine if they just ceased licensed killers all together.

I'm with you completely.

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380

The original content tends to be much better than the licensed anyways. Blight, oni, plague, etc. Original content tends to be pretty hype, if it meant no more awful things like licensing complications and NFT's then i'd be all for it.

• MongolPSR
    MongolPSR Member Posts: 1,032

Burn all the licensed stuff if it keeps the game safe from this bullshit

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Or... can we just have licensed content without nfts? Lol.

• Impose
    Impose Member Posts: 400

if they actually balanced all the killers in this game to make them viable and fun at a decent level then it would literally last for years with no updates besides fun events and map updates.

As is half the killers in the game are just HORRIBLY designed and unfun. Legion, Myers, Nemesis for example.

Other killers are crazy fun and well designed. Blight, Oni, Ghostface.

Then a lot of the others are actually pretty decent designs but they're horrible because of map design or survivors being overall too powerful. Billy, Freddy, Dr.

Making all of the killers more viable would go a long way into making the game better.

• MongolPSR
    MongolPSR Member Posts: 1,032

I'm sorry sir but we only take the most extreme of options here

• Exult

It's less about that and more about emphasizing how much people dislike NFT. Clearly people welcome licensed killers when there isn't the caveat of their money being tossed in with dirty, laundered money.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

The fact that you are talking about deleting something I own and enjoy while you are probably not affected makes this quit easy for you.

Pinhead is a well designed character and is fun to play for me. I even received him as a gift from a friend. As such you are in fact talking about stripping a gift from me.

Do not get me wrong, I do not support NFTs. But I fail to see how a character I own in a game is a problem. This is like telling me my action figure should get burned because there is a smutty picture of that character on a website supported by the publisher...

And this would be the best way to do it.

After this outrage BHVR should search for a way to redeem themself and then go on without NFTs.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

As righteous as it would sound to say I came here for trapper and his goofy Jason rip off mask. I'd be lying.

Not even gonna hold you, I came here cause of Myers, Pig, and the rest of the classic movie gang. Theres no other game worth its salt in it that highlights those licenses. And to be frank, the SAW franchise games were pretty trash and made you play the role of the survivor in that movie....which honestly is the most uninteresting aspect of the SAW franchise. Had those games let you set up people in traps and run around kidnapping folks, it'd be a different discussion. But the sheer lack of games that allow you to be the bad guy in such a way is very few and far between. And the most successful game in that genre got shut down AKA Evolve Stage 2.

Other than that, I couldn't possibly look at any of these original killers without immediately thinking of their real movie counterparts. Trapper and his Jason/Friday the 13th spin. Hag and her Blair Witch flair. Nurse and her mini homage to Silent Hill. Hillbilly and his chainsaw vibe thats basically a knock off Leatherface Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The Trickster and his whole Suicide Circle villain vibe. Without those licensed characters being held up by their content outside of the game I doubt many people would even look at this game with the same amount of excitement. The power of film is nothing to be shortchanged.

Now if BHVR was the type of studio to bring out original killers but then at the same time bring out Indy films with those same characters....totally different story. But again, lore carries weight when portrayed in film.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,291

I'm not a horror buff to begin with, so the licenses really don't matter to me. But I'd welcome the deletion of Pinhead if it meant the cancellation of this NFT bullshit. Even though I really like his design and gameplay, it's not worth the NFT link.

The NFTs go, or I go.

• Exult
  • NoObzBoiYT
    NoObzBoiYT Member Posts: 198

What's the problem with NFTs. I want licensed killers

• Firellius

The problem with NFTs is that they take more energy than a household to produce.

It's screwing over the planet and, by extension, the human race, all for a quick buck in a pyramid scheme.

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

I've always said that original content is better than licensed content, so yes.

Burn it all down.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015
    edited October 2021

This isn't about licensed killers anymore, this is about our planet and the stupidity of a slight part of the human race. inb4 I get banned for calling climate change causers morons.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015

Sure, let's just stop with new licensed content, I wouldn't even mind at this point. I don't want DBD anywhere near NFTs.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

I mean, the other licensed chapters haven’t dealt with this BS. (Michael, Pig, Freddy)

So why would we get ahead of ourselves into thinking every chapter from here on out will have NFTs attached to them?

If anything my hope is that BHVR will stay the hell away from associating themselves with companies who use these practices.

• Gwinty

Please excuse me if I was too rude. Yes, I am taking this personal as I was hyped about this character and the gift from my friend meant quit a lot to me. Taking this away would impact me and make me feel bad.

So...would NFTs be acceptable for you if the system would use proof of stake?

• deckyr
    edited October 2021

nobody said "no more future crossover chapters because they will all contain NFTs".

what i am saying, is "no more bad contracts, even if it means not getting a licensed killer/survivors".

bad contracts are going to kill this game faster than any balance problem. and it would be nice if we, as a community, could tell bhvr not to take these bad contracts on our behalf. it just seems like they're sacrificing too much to bring these franchises into the game. i will never be able to see demogorgon, steve and nancy without thinking about terrible contracts. i will never be able to look at pinhead without thinking about terrible contracts. these chapters are essentially ruined for me, and the game on the whole is soured for it.

"one bad apple spoils the bunch".

that's what i made this thread for. i even bolded the "worth signing" part.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

yep same. I believe we have enough license content already, there is no reason to get more at this point.

• Firellius

It'd still be a pyramid scheme that's built on hurting the environment, so it'd still be awful, but at least it wouldn't be apocalyptically awful.

• Gwinty

Just wanted to clear this. I see the pyramide sheme, art theft and the hurt to the enviroment becase it wasts energy. However I see other things far more harmful to the enviroment (cars, holiday flights, oil production via fracking, burned rainforest for soja) that are more common and dangerous than a NFT based on proof of stake. And the pyramide sheme is only a problem for people who do not look into this things and...well, you need to put some effort into your own decisions... The point I do not see standing is money laundaring (that is done mostly in normal currency).

This is a good thing about this whole situation is that is rises the awareness about NFTs and blockchain and how that impacts the enviroment. Because to tell the truth, prior to this I only knew about cryptos and blockchains but not about NFTs...

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

I wouldn't mind if we had only original content. If removing licensed characters means no more NFT, I'm for it, as much as I love Silent Hill.

I'm ready to say bye to a license I love for the health of the game.

• Firellius

All the other things you mention: Cars, holiday flights, oil production, soy production, all of these things have tangible benefits that are weighed against their detriment. We do need to live, after all, which is why we need food production, why we need communication services, transport, and even relaxation.

NFTs have these drawbacks, but their 'benefit' is the pyramid scheme. NFTs hold absolutely zero value outside the NFT market. They do nothing. They mean nothing. They are nothing. Only within the scope of the pyramid scheme do they have any semblance of value.

It's the worst of both worlds. You get a pyramid scheme AND environmental damage.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

In this situation they may spend some time on the actual problems in the game.

But that wont happen kek

• Gwinty

It is kinda amusing that we only talk about how much we dislike this technology and only disagree about how bad it is. For me it is a annoyance that they try to implement a "solution" for a "problem" that never existed. Even without the enviromental issues NFTs have nothing to offer and only creat problems. Art theft being a major factor as well as the problem that unlike Bitcoin as an example they are not even limited. There is no need to use a blockchain for something that can be duplicated over and over.

I would argue that holiday flights are another example. They only offer the merit of bringing joy to people. I could argue that NFTs also bring joy to the people who like them. Thus both would have the same benefits while producing enviromental issues (cerosin is quit bad) same if you drive your car around the country just for fun. As such I would make the case that "fossile fueled transportation for fun" is on the same level as an NFT. You are right about the other things thou as soy is needed food while oil is just a product that is also required for things other than transportation.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

If licensed characters means NFTs Id rather not have licenses anymore, plus we would have the added benefits of not having to deal with maps like Hawkins or RPD, not having to deal with the license holders being unreasonable, tweaking and balancing would be easier, licenses retiring their characters (Stranger Things chapter) etc...

Licenses were great for a time, when they were a few and released like normal DLCs/Expansion content but I believe DBD has outgrown their usefulness and right now they bring more trouble than benefit for the players.

• _NIGHTMARE_
    _NIGHTMARE_ Member Posts: 727

I'd actually hope for BHVR to find a way around this without NFTs too.

Apologies if I wasn't concise enough - I was referring to a worst case scenario.

💜

• deckyr

this is not an NFT debate thread. please go set a tree on fire or whatever else you do to relax. we have already made up our minds on the topic.