Can someone give me the "Idiots Version" on why we're mad about NFTs?

Options

I'm not really sure I understand it.

Sounds like NFTs basically suck - I hear everyone on that. I'm not sure why I'd buy this one. Apparently if you do, there's a "chance" you get access to the chapter or something? OK, that's ridiculous. Anyone dumb enough to buy for that reason needs to be slapped.

So I won't buy it.

If I want the chapter, I'll buy the chapter. Not a stupid NFT. That said, my pulse isn't higher than 64 according to my Fitbit.

What am I missing so I can share in the outrage?

Comments

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539
    Options

If ppl are concerned about the environment then what do they think millions of DBD matches do in comparison to a handful of NFT purchases? Talk about misplaced outrage.

• Sabraiz
    Sabraiz Member Posts: 566
    edited October 2021
    Options

Honestly NFTs are just weird.

But from what I gather they are like a receipt that you "own" a digital piece of art.

And to do the cryptocurrency transactions involved in the trading, a lot of carbon dioxide emission is generated. Roughly equal to one person living for a month in the EU.

Post edited by Sabraiz on
  • Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 907
    Options

I'm just upset that management took a route that let their assets be used to support NFTs, which I do not support for environmental reasons.

You can say: "Aw, man, but they didn't know!"

And shucks, you might be right and this happened due to their own ignorance of what the license agreement they signed could entail. Still I tend to believe in a concept of corporate responsibility, and I also tend to extend that belief to acts borne of ignorance just as much as greed.

Though I do hope they didn't knowingly support an NFT just for a nab at some licensed content since they'd sink a bit further in my books then.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,146
    Options

Basically steam can ban dbd from it's platform because NFTs are against their rules and now that BHVR has teased an epic games partnership and the company affiliated with the NFT came out and said theres in game use coming down the pipeline in the future it basically says that if you play on steam as do I and many others , there's no confirmation on whether steam is gonna throw the ban hammer or not and BHVR shitting in their face with epic games on social media I wouldn't be surprised if they banned dbd and we on steam have to repurchase and start over on a new platform, but also NFT are harmful to the environment on top of all that

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

DBD matches provide some usefulness to the world in the form of entertainement, they are a form of leisure and people need leisure on their lifes. NFTs contribute nothing to society, they are just overpriced .jpg receipts that require a ton of energy to be generated and in the end anyone can "save image as" instead of having to resort to a blockchain. Plus Im willing to bet all those transactions consume much more energy than all DBD servers by a large margin.

On sidenote, I wonder what would happen if people start using NFT images ripped fom the web to print posters, tshirts etc and sell them, are NFTs recognized by any goverment? can you actually sue people saving the image from your NFT and using it without your consent? are NFTs legally binding in any way?.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

I think a single NFT purchase consumes more power than a day's worth of DBD matches, though I don't have the specifics.

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270
    Options
  • HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2021
    Options

Figured as much... I hope the tshirt selling webpages start ripping all the NFTs from the web and selling stuff, making the "owners" go mad since they cant enforce anything or demand compensation.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

1) Using a block-chain to certify a purchase is not exactly a pyramid scam.

2) this argument is the only valid argument I can find against NFT's. But it can be argued that it's only a small sliver of the damage we're already doing by just sitting in front of our devices eating up power off the grid in our air-conditioned rooms that are venting even more heat into the environment.

3) The technology is just a tool. Tools can be misused like anything else.

4) If they work for the developer, they're work for hire and thus their word no longer belongs to them anyway. This in and of itself is dumb, but it's how the world works. They are, however, entitled to their opinion and I will defend that opinion.

5) I have no remark on that as I haven't back-tracked that one to confirm or deny it.

• jabberdragon
    jabberdragon Member Posts: 49
    Options

Every time someone says "Well we're already doing a lot of damage to the environment just by existing so what's one more bad thing" in defense of NFTs, I just want that person to know that you are the reason why things are so bad in the first place.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

That's a critical thing to note about NFTs: The 'proof of ownership' people are buying when they acquire an NFT is entirely meaningless outside the NFT bubble. You could buy the NFT of an image and then have the actual legal rights be sold to someone else.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989
    Options

This isn't accurate. DBD itself does not make any exchanges for crypto or NFTs so no rules have technically been violated.

You get the NFT, I estimate that you get a steam dlc code. At no time has dbd been employed for blockchain tech.

• MarcoPoloYolo
    MarcoPoloYolo Member Posts: 508
    Options

DBD's Twitter is actively advertising something that's pretty much a scam (trying to collect "ownership" over something that's "scarce" yet easily mass produced for the small price of around $200), and an energy inefficient scam at that.

• Introvertedvet
    Introvertedvet Member Posts: 47
    Options

People in here worried about environmental damage. If they were so worried about damaging the environment would they be playing computer games on a computer thats sucks up so much energy and produces so much heat? Not to mention all the chemicals, plastics and metals used in the manufacture of their gaming rig. This is rich!

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,146
    Options

They're walking in a gray area though, and what about the other company saying content WITH in game use was coming down the pipeline in the future and this was after the dlc codes were announced so it wasn't tied to that and if they're telling the truth it would absolutely be a violation at that point because they're using them for more than a dlc code