I just can't do killer anymore

SBMM is such a joke. I made a previous post about this, but I rarely play killer as it is. Despite this I'm constantly being destroyed from survivors in SBMM (which highlights just how ridiculously bad the MMR is). And the sad truth is, whenever I look for help, all this community says is the typical "git gud", and "baby killer", which is so helpful. Playing as the killer has never felt more punishing and sweat inducing than in any game I've played in recent memory. Survivors should fear the killer, but all I keep encountering are well coordinated survivors body blocking, and getting the hell out of dodge when they know that I'm anywhere near thanks to SWF. SWF is so unbelievably broken in this game, and there is no perk the killer has that can equally counter that.

How can I possibly learn to get better at a game when the most helpful advice is, "just grin and bear it"? I shouldn't have to induce hours upon hours of grinding before the game eventually gets fun. I realize that there's a learning curve to every game, but I'm just not having fun anymore. The power role is most certainly not the killer anymore, and is it any wonder why so many DBD streamers are looking forward to VHS?

Comments

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

The nice thing about VHS is that it's kill or be killed. Not only that, but all the perks on offer is available right from the get-go. If there's a perk that you want, then you can go for it. No pointless RNG grinding like there is in DBD.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

I am looking forward to add VHS to my library, but I can guarantee you many of those streamers will still stick with DBD to some degree.

DBD is still a fun game to watch, and for some streamers it is the meat and potatoes of their content.

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294

Nah, Propnight is better :D

• Dino7281
    edited November 2021

Yeah, I used to be like over 90% killer main, but since SBMM, nerfs to my mains (Deathslinger and Wraith), Boon totem, I just usually do only challenges on killers.

Survivors are just more fun and way less stressful right now.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,893

Survivor has always been way less stressful, there just so much more downtime. With killer you are constantly pressing (unless the survivor team is really bad).

SWFs are definitely OP, but I don't feel like I run into them very often. The boon totem situation will need to be addressed, though. SBMM seems to be really hit or miss, though. I've gone against teams that wrecked me, but just as (or more) often ran into teams that were awful. Of course I have been using killers I rarely play to learn them, so that may have something to do with it.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970

Honestly mmr for me as killer is just pinning me against blatant noobs it's actually pretty nice

• Dino7281
    edited November 2021

Only way I could have fun was actually changing killers a lot. I always play with 1 killer, hit MMR where I don't wanna be, so change killer.

It's kinda funny to see how big difference you can get just by playing different killer.

Also lowering MMR is a thing, which I really don't blame anyone for using it.

• Sweet_Tour
    Sweet_Tour Member Posts: 558

Hello again Brother

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I am sorry you feel that way.

I play mostly Survivor these days as well. I put in way less effort, am way less stressed and I almost never get told to kill myself, which is a nice bonus.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I still get hate mail from survivors. I cannot escape it regardless of the role I play. We are like oil and water.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I was talking with my friend whilst playing very casually yesterday, here was our conversation.

Me: sigh

Him: You got your first "#########" message, didn'tyou?

Me: Yep.

Stay classy DBD players.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

I'm going to make an assumption here. You are swapping killers.

You should pick a killer and play a few games without swapping to another. It should only take a few games for your MMR to adjust for that killer.

If you keep swapping killers you will just encounter loss, loss, loss, loss and you won't see a noticable change in your MMR.

• Thusly_Boned

I learned early. I play on console and have my settings so I can only receive messages from friends, and I ignore friend requests that come in while playing DBD. It's a lonely but largely stress free life, lol.

• VicThor
    VicThor Member Posts: 347

Same here, never received personal messages for multiplayer before. Then I start to play DBD and all sudden my inbox was full of messages.

• Dennis_van_eijk
    Dennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,704

I made a poll about this topic as well to see how many people enjoy killer since sbmm.

But the same for me, ever since sbmm all i got were sweat fest matches.

Don't get me wrong as i don't mind to sweat, but sweating game after game after game is getting annoying as hell.

Trying new build or just a bit or something is just not a possibility anymore.

I used to play both sides, slightly more killer than survivor, but now i just switched to survivor for the time being.

• Thusly_Boned

Yeah, people just don't like losing, or feel like they need to save face by framing their shortcomings as the a result of someone else not playing a certain way. I am certainly not the greatest DBD player, and I feel like I play in a fair and equitable way (doing my best to consider others while trying to win), but people still came at me sideways.

I just decided that they can flame into the void; I don't have time for it.

• Dennis_van_eijk
    Dennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,704

Hahaha i just leave it open as i don't care if i get salty messages, i find that just hilarious when i get them.

Tho i play only survivor now for the time being, it has become very quiet.

Tho i had had 1 message from a salty killer saying F you and your F ing friends.

He was salty that he just faced really good survivors, i always play solo so this was fun to see that he thought i was in a swf 😅

Just to be clear, I'm not someone who plays toxic whatsoever.

As survivor no matter how someone else plays i never t bag, flashlight click, etc.

And as killer i always go for fresh hooks and try to get 12 hooks.

So when i get messages it's just funny because they never seem to accept their loss 😂

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

I just play survivor nowadays, mostly with friends and just play killer for the challenges. SBMM on top of all the validation and now the boons ruined my killer experience for me aswell, i feel like I'm just a clown for survivors when i don't bring strong addons/killer combo. I'd be happy with that if at least we were allowed to compare our performance with other killers, but mmr is private and there's no public data so...

• themoobs1984
    themoobs1984 Member Posts: 619

That's exactly what I did with UFC 4 and DbD. I don't get messages anymore from manbabies screaming that the killer tunneling them is toxic and to kill myself. It's great. I seriously suggest all console players turn your messages to friends only. All the hate and whining will instantly disappear forever.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758

I feel same. Killers' high MMR is the time you end playing killer.

• ThanksForDaily
    ThanksForDaily Member Posts: 1,304

Please, not the VHS again. This game will die in 2-3 weeks.

• Killer_NPC
    Killer_NPC Member Posts: 36

People think survivors are OP and then want to play VHS where survivors literaly hunt and kill the killer LMAO. Good luck guys...

• SweetTerror

Agreed. I find it more entertaining to watch players with thousands of hours under their belt play killer instead of myself playing killer. With DBD having no proper training mode, getting thrown against far more experienced players time and again doesn't make for a great learning tool.

• SweetTerror

That's fair. I do find myself playing survivor far more because it seems as though if there aren't enough high-ranking players currently online within your region, then you'll be facing off against people you have no business playing against. For people like myself that can prove problematic, because having to grind for hours upon hours against far more experienced players doesn't make for a good learning tool. Not suggesting that bots would be a better alternative, but at least it would allow casual players like myself to get a better understanding of a Killers power then being forced into sweat-inducing matches time and again.

• SweetTerror

Man you hit the nail on the head! There's nothing more defeating then being told to ######### at the end of a match. Nothing incentivizes me more to play something else.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

I can't blame you, playing killer is so miserable these days.

• SweetTerror

I have swapped between a few different Killers recently, but they're killers that I'm used to playing with. But since I rarely play killer to begin with, my rating should be fairly low, especially if it's on a Killer I've never touched before. But it doesn't seem to matter.

Perfect example, my very first match with Pinhead resulted in one of the most sweatiest, toxic games that I've ever had. Constant teabagging, pointing, flashlight clicking, it was miserable. At the end of the match that resulted in just one hook, I got messages like "EZ killer", "git gud", etc. As you can imagine I decided to switch back to killers that I was used to playing, but it didn't get any better. Simply put, being thrown into the deep end to learn how to swim is an incredibly frustrating learning tool.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

A killer that has no MMR defaults to an MMR a little under your highest rated killer so playing Pinhead for the first time would give you a harsh matchup.

Try this, I am confident it will work: Pick 1 killer and play 4 games - Don't sweat for the kills, just try to get as many hooks as you can. After these 4 games you should find that your sweat squads have turned into fair games.

• ThanksForDaily
    ThanksForDaily Member Posts: 1,304

No, its not. Killer used to be way more miserable and harder than this.

• alex511
    alex511 Applicant Posts: 56

Swf needs separate queue, this would solve so much problems, swf is not only bad for killers it's also bad for solo survs, nothing worse than being matched with swf because they will priorize their mates mostly. The thing is that to perform well vs a good discord swf you need to be an experienced killer at least +1k hours or you will just get stomped and humilated. You can not learn this from watching videos, you need game sense that only comes with experience so that you make the right quick decisions without thinking.

One point that is overlooked imo is that the experienced killers are the most important players for the game, they bring the fun for survivors but they are leaving and switching roles, you can see that by the many recent complaints about camping killers, good killers don't do that, a lot of people just play killer for challenges, without the rifts the situation would be far worse. Also nowadays even if you are a good killer you need to tunnel, it's forced, who tells you else has no idea, i can't even take the time to kick gens anymore as for how fast i have to do anything.

To op: You are not going to be a successfull killer soon, simple as that, so decide for yourself if you are willing to take that long dark road that is killer school, is it worth it? Probably. Focus on basic gameplay not perks, you need to master basic gameplay, then it doesn't matter much which killer you are using, i perform roughly the same with any killer.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

If SWF had a separate queue than times to load in lobbies would be much longer.

• alex511
    alex511 Applicant Posts: 56
    edited November 2021

I don't think so actually because if swf would only be allowed in a just for fun mode there will be enough killers, even i would queue there for warmup, training, trying builds etc., imo casual free for all mode, solo ranked and a beginner mode without perks, addons and tools is the way to go, there is so much to learn in this game, new players need a separate space where learning is actual fun instead of permanent frustration.

• SweetTerror

I appreciate the advice, I really do, however the downside about playing dead by daylight as killer is that not only are you at a great disadvantage should you be facing a SWF, but so many matches are heavily predicated on RNG, which sucks.

And you're right, you need to play consistently in order to get better, that can be said with any game, but because dead by daylight has no true training mode, practicing against people more highly-skilled then you can easily get people tilted and cause them to stop playing altogether. It's kind of like that argument with single-player games, where some people say, "Hey after 12 hours the game gets really good!". But who realistically wants to devote that much time into something before they start enjoying it? To each their own, but I'm not one of those people.

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

I just play for fun now. I have fun with builds/challenges I like and that's that. I wasn't a rank 1 killer before, and probably won't be now with MMR.

• pizzaduffyhp90
    pizzaduffyhp90 Member Posts: 901

I get playing killer can be hard especially playing against 4 man swf's constantly but, for me my advice would be just use 0 gen defense for a while and you'll end up in an MMR that maybe will be a nice area for you to play killer rather than constantly vsing the same swf's and perks over and over again.