Why are BHVR trying to make All Kill a big deal?

Options

Comments

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

I agree kpop is a massive industry. Problem is bhvr keep doing a terrible job trying to appeal to them

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,691
    edited November 2021
    Options

I'm okay with his knife throwing as a power - my big issue is that he's supposed to be talented with knife tricks and instead he just machine gun lobs them. The power could be more creative than straight ranged; he's got some addons that do this with the ricochet knives and shatter knives, but the power itself is incredibly straightforward and I'm of the firm idea that the variety should have been basekit.

Also, while I do love his mori - his whole shtick was supposed to be that he was a psychotic killer, torturing people slowly and agonizingly to extract sweet operas from their screams. That he was crazy enough to see this as high art, and pleas for mercy as hymns to his name. Instead, that's where he shows off his actual knife tricks, and it's... I don't know. Yeah, he was a narcissist and did things to leave his signature on the crime scenes, but a big part of what makes the Trickster a successful killer to me is that he plays into a more psychological kind of horror. The way he kills in-game could have reflected that, like the shocking brutality in Legion's mori, but while the effect he has in game is really showy and flamboyant... it's pretty cartoonish for a game like this and certainly doesn't evoke any fear or actual darkness.

Even if he had a separate mori for when he was low on/out of throwing knives, I would have been happy with this, but as it is, it feels like a missed opportunity to show what this guy's really about.

• alex511
    alex511 Applicant Posts: 56
    edited November 2021
    Options

It's hard to take a boygroup puppet for a horror figure, simple as that.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108
    Options

Jeff rift when?

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025
    Options

I mean, Trickster and Yun-Jin are like the Legion. They're not particularly good, they are just perfect for cosmetics. And if what they have now is what Korea's use, it's pretty easy to make outfits for them. Just give them a flashy chicken suit or whatever and it will be pure fashion.

(That was a joke btw)

But I think the reason why they have so many cosmatics, is because they're both just good characters to make cosmetics for. Just like Legion.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

If Meg was in this rift I would've included her - same with Nea and Claudette. The other characters that have way less cosmetics should get more love in that department instead of the same handful over and over.

• Sandt21
    Sandt21 Member Posts: 761
    Options

Its what they should have done from the start. When Riot Games wanted to promote some skins for league of legends, they took four of their characters and turned them into the k-pop group KDA, and made one of the most popular k-pop songs of all time, POP/STARS. Now THATS how you do self promotion.

The Trickster should have had his own music video that launched on the day that ALLKILL launched. Half of the video could have been him singing and dancing on stage, while the other half is him murdering his victims, all while some sick music plays in the background

• Phasmamain
    Options

Exactly. I have no issue with kpop in dbd but don’t half ass it

• alex511
    Options

It's just one char currently pushed desperately, just ignore it will go by.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

I think the intro was pretty well done for Trickster and brought something different.

It's just his power design that is a bit disappointing and underwhelming

• BabyCameron10
    BabyCameron10 Member Posts: 949
    Options

I don’t think anyone on console likes trickster

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

Or Oni and Spirit who litterally paint the walls with Trickster in regards to how a killer should look and play.

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 540
    Options

I don't really mind who turns up in a tome as long as it's someone new.

Oni would be my most preferred option because he's my favorite killer (but not my main because that would make too much sense)

Cosmetics wouldn't bother me much i'll always use the minatour personally.

I do like trickster though I generally prefer the so called weaker killers & tend to do well.

Play against him a lot both before & during the tome (I'm in uk) so he's popular on my servers at least.

Very rarely a night goes by without at least 1 trickster.

I thought on reveal i'd love yun jin too she'd never replace Meg as my main (nobody will) or Kate as my second but I thought she'd be a top 5 favorite survivor for me when I'm not playing Meg I like to play survivors in rotation using only their perks but that's about the only time I used her.

To answer the orginal question more directly I think they should make & continue to make a big deal out of every chapter & its characters thats just good business sense.

The order in which they do so is of course completely up for debate but everyone will get their chance.

Just a shame it wasn't a Halloween tome with new outfits for Myers & Laurie.

I know licensed tomes are harder to negotiate but it would have probably paid off in the end

• alex511
    edited November 2021
    Options

The Yamaokas are really cool characters, Oni is the best looking killer imo. I am currently leveling him and it even feels like survs are more intimidated as usual by his presence lol.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,895
    Options

Same reason why Spirit and Oni have a lot more skins compared to other killers. The only killer that outranks them, is Legion, and that's because Legion has 4 different characters(meaning legion has about 30 unique cosmetic items where the rest is genderbend to fit the rest of the cast).

Spirit has more skins than Trapper, and Trapper is the mascot of DBD that has been here for 5,5 years, while Spirit has been here only for 3.

That is because Spirit and Oni are very popular characters in Japan and sell like hotcakes, while they also sell decently compared to other killers in the store. Trickster sells a lot in south korea and to k-pop fans, let alone that his skins also do decently compared to other killers in the store.

Simple case of supplying the demand of customers. Nothing that is being made a big deal. If there is any killer, in terms of skins, on the roster that is being ignored, it's Huntress. She has the lowest ratio of skins compared to how long she has been available.

• Sweet_Tour
    Sweet_Tour Member Posts: 558
    Options

The devs like Trickster. They like Kpop that's why they made him. They don't think about us when they make things, they think about what they like. And we may happen to like it I.E. Licenses mainly.

Trickster is the apittamy of everything wrong with DBD. Lame design, lame power that is unbalanceable without making Him OP or Useless, he breaks the rules set in place for everyone else (No speaking, plague beaks it to but she speaks gibberish to everyone) that was the excuse for not hiring real voice actors. And now here we are he's still lame, unplayable on console, weird looking, and annoying to fight.

Pretty good job so far.

• Sweet_Tour
    Options

Don't encourage them to make more Huntress cosmetics. I don't want more Huntress players hitting me through walls.

• SMitchell8
    Options

I did always hope whoever made those characters made a third Yamoka. They are brilliant designs indeed. Yeah Oni is like that, especially when you can effortlessly 1 hit down with his kanabo.

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,481
    Options

We don't need a third Yamaoka. Spirit and Oni already have a very similar theme, doing it yet again is unnecessary and wouldn't be adding anything original.

There's so many untapped countries, mythologies and horror archetypes we could get representation from, instead of a third Japanese demon.

• SMitchell8
    Options

Spirit aint a demon, clues in the name. What kind of countries are you thinking of then? A blonde viking from Norway?

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

Yeah, all the advertisements and cosmetics for All Kill is kind of getting tiring and annoying. I'd like to see something different for a change.

• mrdead
    mrdead Member Posts: 51
    Options

I suspect DBD is bigger in Korea than we might think.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108
    Options

A survivor from the bloodline instead of a killer would be nice

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 635
    Options

Honestly this is what it feels like.

Some of the devs are probably massive 'stans' (did I do that right?), and this was merely a lame hollow excuse to meet one of their male Idols.

All just an excuse to keep 'consulting' that Kevin Woo.

• Sweet_Tour
    Options

Yeah that's it. Stan basically means "Obsessive and will defend with a fiery passion even if wrong" and the devs are Stan's of Kpop and they've admitted it multiple times.

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 884
    edited November 2021
    Options

Because the whole K-Pop thing is huge right now and Trickster is popular, not in terms of usage rate but a lot of people simp for him as far as i noticed on twitter, reddit and so on. A lot of the playbase are weebs, at least here in Europe. The chapter is also pretty special and outstanding compared to the others, while the Twins chapter felt pretty boring from the start. The Twins are one of the most unpopular characters since they have been released, Elodie isn't but she's also getting much more new outfits.

I don't like K-Pop or Trickster but if i would have to design outfits, i would have much more fun doing it for him than for the Twins. I really wish they would give Yun-Jin some more "normal" clothes, not this super bright stuff with super intense colors all the time.

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285
    Options

I've seen entire Instagram and Twitter accounts dedicated to Trickster. He's very popular. He's not the killer that I see the most but I definitely see him more than Oni, Slinger, Twins. Heck, nowadays I see more Tricksters than Nemesis or Pinhead.

• LeonxJiwoon
    LeonxJiwoon Member Posts: 455
    Options

What makes Trickster far better to me than every other killer is that he is full human, he hums and stuff and does not seem the entity alter him in any other way compared to some killers who are still human but behaves more like monsters or demented loonies . Its nice when people wanna promote their own work and I personally love both chars of all kill yun jin may not have all that decent perks but shes sweet lol and tricky fits my play style as a person whos a fan of mmos and play range/magic class. I wonder if tricky is most likely the youngest of the killers in the game or those legion brats.

• Phasmamain
    Options

I do actually enjoy yun Jin but trickster was the star and greatest failure of the chapter imo

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,787
    Options

That doesn't make him popular in the game. Game popularity is dictated by how much a character is utilized. I don't see many people here saying they see tons of Trickster.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,235
    Options

I play pretty much at the lowest tier of survivor MMR, and not very often, but when I do I do see quite a lot of Trickster. At moderately decent Killer MMR, though, I see a ton of Yun-Jin, she seems really popular.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    edited November 2021
    Options

If you don't play survivor much then that's not really indicative of anything. People who play a decent amount of survivor would be in a better position to give an idea of how often he's used. Killer MMR doesn't have any bearing on which survivors you see. They are all just skins that do the same thing with the same perks.

• jesterkind
    Options

Hey, fair enough, man, just figured it was relevant.

Yun-Jin just being a skin matters more, though. Clearly they wouldn't pick Yun-Jin if they didn't like her, since there's no benefit to picking her over any other survivor mechanically.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Options

Fair enough on Yun Jin. It must be a regional thing because I don't see her more than most of the other survivors when playing either side.

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285
    Options

Well, he isn't exactly a mid/high MMR killer, so people who play a lot won't see him much. There's really no way to know without official stats, but he definitely seems very popular.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,603
    Options

Because DBD is losing its broad appeal, so the devs figured they could appeal to and milk the LGBT community for publicity and ratings. It doesn't say anywhere that Trickster is LGBT, but you can see that's what he's being pushed as.

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 635
    Options

Thing is I consider myself a massive weeb lmao :)

I've watched most of the horror\psychological tagged anime on Crunchyroll\Funimation, stuff even my weeb friends haven't heard of lol :)

The chapter just sticks out like a sore thumb, the killer isn't cool and looks a bit duck like when he runs, power is pretty lame and definitely not a good killer.

Why not make the killer good if they want it to be popular?

Korea as well has some of the most amazing horror I've seen recently so its really weird to choose what they did for the game, unless there was an ulterior motive ie wanting to meet Kevin Woo :)

Some great K-Horror they could've taken influence from:

The Wailing - one of my all time favorite folk horrors, definitely recommend checking this out if you haven't!

Gonijam Haunted Asylum

I saw the Devil

Train to Busan\Peninsula

Host

A tale of 2 sisters

Thirst

Even Oldboy

But no, they wanted to add a popstar to their horror game, oh he... throws knives and sometimes laughs.

But he winks on the character select screen OMG meta!

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,605
    Options

Popularity and asian market. Maybe in EU and USA they are not that popular, but the japanese fanbase is big en DBD, you only have to go to Twtich.tv and see there are a lot of japanese streamers with a decent amount of viewers. Ok, the characters are not japanese, but they resemble a lot their "idol" culture, also, South Korea is a country with a very consolidated gaming culture, they hit two targets with one shot.

Also, at least un EU Trickster is not a popular killer, but I see a lot of survivors playing as Yun-Jin Lee, not to the level of Feng Ming, Nea or Claudette but I see a lot of them.

Twins doesn't get new skins or lore because almost nobody play them.

Also, with this Rift we can get the butterflies skin for Plague which is very cute and without paying premium, so I'm happy with this Rift, haha.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,603
    Options

I'm just being frank. It's observable. I see stuff like this from BHVR all the time.

I've never even heard of half these people, but they get into the fog whisperers and different events because they're BHVR'S token LGBT people, meanwhile people like Tru3 aren't upstanding enough for them.

• jesterkind
    Options

I think that's an astoundingly bad faith assertion. I've never heard of like 90% of the Fog Whisperers either, that doesn't mean they're being elevated as tokens. Maybe they're just good presenters, or popular in their own right, idk.

Trickster is clearly meant to appeal to a specific market, but that market is kpop fans, saying that he's "being pushed as" clearly LGBT because he's... what, kind of effeminate? is a really weird claim to make.

• Tekno_Badger
    Tekno_Badger Member Posts: 526
    Options

Because they care more about revenue than any of their playerbase, so they're targeting Asia

• jesterkind
    Options

...Wouldn't their Asian players be part of their playerbase?

• Tekno_Badger
    Tekno_Badger Member Posts: 526
    Options

I mean they're trying to get new players, and Asia is a huge market.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

Because Trickster is a pretty boy. I'd bet his cosmetics sell quite well, thus why they keep giving him more.