The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

These Boon squads are making me lose my mind

Ever since the new boons got introduced, I have been absolutely struggling to keep the pressure up as the survivors keep re-booning the same old totems and making the entire map their healing zone with speeds that I simply can not match in injuring survivors.

Just 1-2 survivors carrying the healing boon perk is enough to make the game extremely hard to win, the likes that have not been seen in the history of DBD. People are literally making YouTube videos showing people just how ridiculous the healing speed can be in its max potential, which is as fast as pallet-breaking animation. How am I supposed to compete with that?! People can literally heal themselves up in mid-chase like no one's business.

I don't want to be forced to tunnel. Over half of the Killers that I used to play and enjoy are now facing impossible matches because their powers are not enough to deal with the boon users. It's like BHVR didn't think about Killers at all when designing this new perk.

Out of all the killers I have tried to fight against the boon survivors, only hag has come out strong enough to compete, as she can lay down traps to surprise and down injured survivors before they can reach boon zone. Everyone else is at the mercy of Boon squads without a chance of a fair fight.

Anyone else struggling against Boon survivors?

Comments

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

Looks like hit and run wraith is dead; time to put my Coulrophobia build to rest and dust off my old Agitation Starstruck Wraith build.

• Sunbreaker7
    Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 651

Yeah, Plague also appears to do well against booners since her whole deal is preventing heal. I totally forgot to mention her but that's because I haven't been playing her as of late. Might have to main her until this whole Boon thing gets fixed.

• Jay_Whyask
    Jay_Whyask Member Posts: 566

💁‍♀️Can I interest you in a spot of Bloodhound? Perhaps some Forced Penance? A heaping table spoon of Thrill of the Hunt, Thanatophobia, and Devour Hope? 

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

I've been surprised people haven't been tinkering with forced penance

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005

Just do bones

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Thrill is Dead the Devs buried it with all other killer perks they nerfed into the ground.

• Jplanas98
    Jplanas98 Member Posts: 532

I've started maining plague somewhat because of this. She makes healing perks and medkits completely useless. So now, if they do bring boon totems only Shadow Step will be useful. Circle of Healing will only be useful if a survivor is downed in the aura radius.

• lavars
    lavars Member Posts: 312

Imagine you need to buy a killer (eventually with real money) just so you can play the game 😏

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,345

They removed the noise notification thrill used to give for a longer action speed penalty for interacting with totems.

I wouldn't say it's dead. Thrill has uses as slowdown with undying and ruin since if survivors just cleanse undying and ruin will take collectively 90% longer due to thrill. More if they hit thrill before ruin.

It's certainly less appealing than before, but I think Nemesis likes Thrill since it gives zombies a bigger window to interrupt survivors on totems.

• XombieRocker
    XombieRocker Member Posts: 324

No longer gives a notification when survivors start cleansing a hex. They gave a small buff to the perk's slow down effect in compensation.

• lavars
    lavars Member Posts: 312

Just check the Perks they have after the game, you can see if they have anything that can hide an Aura. Check their Items and stuff.

It's mainly to give you a peace of mind, as most cheaters are high MMR (they have an easy time to win) it depends on how high your MMR is. But cheaters will always exist, it was the reason why i stopped playing CS:GO even after a chance of getting into a small league team.

You can't do much anyway, and even they can't do much, in the end, everyone says they are fewer cheaters in CS:GO or they fixed the problem in DBD, they always will linger around.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,925

Yeah because Blood Favour and Retribution got totally nerfed this patch.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Boon totems hard counter 'attrition' killers like Wraith. Your best bet is to avoid hit and run type killers and instead play killers that can reliably pressure/down/have instadown capability. I still do okay with Demo, Doctor, Pig and Pinhead but my Hag and Wraith are really struggling.

I also now build for either instadowns (NOED/DH) or pressure (Plaything+Retribution).

Boon totems absolutely need a look. The major issue is that the intended counterplay (ie. snuffing) is 9 times out of 10 worse than just leaving the damn things up.

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968

Hex:Plaything clogs up totems for 90 seconds, and forces players without boons to break the spawns and those with them to take 24 seconds to keep the totem.

• hiken
    hiken Member Posts: 1,188

ive seen an increase in plags recently, makes sense...

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
  • Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551
    edited November 2021

I was using Trapper and these guys went for me like ravenous piranha as soon as they found out that fact. Low tier killer = food.

Thank God I had SBTFL and a backpack build for this match but I would have lost the match otherwise since they kept healing and coming back.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851

Now is a good time to use Plague- she completely negates boons healing prowess. Legion negates both the healing and no-tracks. Play with those two killers more, until this fascination with boons die down. I also believe they will get nerfed again.

Ideas for a build to deal: Sloppy Butcher, Haunted Grounds, Undying (you’ll be able to see them blessing it and you may have time to walk over and stop them. If not you’ll know exactly where the boon is to put it out), & Thrill of the Hunt. Throw these four on Legion and you may have yourself something viable.

• BadLooperQ
    BadLooperQ Member Posts: 277

I feel you. Circle of healing is not even the problem imo, but that one hiding Bloodmarks is so intrusive that you don't even feel it until everyone starts going Metal Gear Solid on your lol.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

But they removed the notification you get when they touch a Hex totem all it does now is increase the cleanse/bless time.....

• Junylar

"How is it fair that killers only get their hex once but survivors can reset it endlessly?"

Here we go again...

14 seconds vs 1 second

Sound that can be heard from Mars vs sound that can barely be heard when you are on top of the totem

Survivor can be killed while cleansing AND while blessing, killer is unstoppable and does everything without a risk for his life

Should we continue?

• Sweet_Tour
    Sweet_Tour Member Posts: 558

The way i see it, you can't boon totems or dead hard or click at me. If you're in the basement being face camped by a bubba. Bubba grindset

• Sweet_Tour
  • StarLost

Or my ultra-nasty Cenobite build :)

Man, I hope they don't nerf his addons next patch.

• Sweet_Tour

It probably will because it's kind of busted. Bubba is busted in a way that nerfing will kill the character completely.

• StarLost

Fang probably needs a nerf. I have no idea how that went live as is.

Box definitely doesn't, as you can play around it once you know how it works. The issue is that surprisingly few people are playing him (probably a combination of him being much less powerful, in theory, than a lot of new killers on release, and the NFT drama) - meaning that survivors don't know what's going on.

Pinhead is actually probably the most 'balanced' killer at present, Fang excepted. He inevitably lands squarely in the middle of every tier list too.

The only issue is that his side objective/hunt mechanic is probably not obvious to newer players, which makes me worried (they did Wraith dirty for this reason).

• Junylar
    • I've played quite a few games against boon users, and never had problems with snuffing them, or even ignoring them completely. Yes, sometimes you have to make a choice what to do: snuff or chase, but hey, 4k's are not there to be served to you upon a silver platter. It's like with totems for survivors: you either waste time on cleansing them or save the time and risk getting NOED. But killer mains think that "just do bones" should not work for them, because they are entitled to be free of making choices and managing their time, sure
    • I've never had problems finding boons since you can hear them from the opposite side of the map. Haven't encountered a singe unsnuffable spot yet, I heard they fixed them all
    • Once again, haven't had any problems with the sound: you can hear them from anywhere within their area of effect
    • Emmm... No? Restricted FOV doesn't hinder me finding totems, you have ears to find them
    • Nope, I've never defended "uncleansable boon spots"
  • StarLost
    • The issue is that it's a 'no right choice' scenario. On some killers, survivors being able to fully heal in seconds makes any sort of attrition play non-viable. It's punishing to leave it up, and punishing to try to snuff it. At the very least, it needs to go on cooldown.
    • What? Survivors don't, and shouldn't totem-hunt in expectation of NOED, unless someone brought Small Game (probably not even then). What smart survivors do (and should do) is note the perks that the killer is using, and if there's a blank spot - only then start preparing for NOED. NOED is only really a problem when combined with NWO, and usually just means they get 1/2 kills rather than 0/1. Just sacrifice the person hooked and leave. If you lost more than 1 person to a killer before gates running NOED and NWO, you would probably have lost if they had brought any other perks regardless.
    • Lolwut. No, you can't. You have to be pretty damn close to hear it. If you are hearing boon totems from across the map, I have...questions.
    • I've run into 2 today. One totally borked on DDS, one that I had to spend around 10 seconds angling myself weirdly on...I think it was RPD.
    • Their 'area of effect' is not 'the entire map'.
    • See above.
    • I remember now. You were complaining that they killswitched the uncleanse-able maps because something something hexes. I'll dig up the thread if you'd like.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

To counter circle of healing, just tunnel. That is easy.

The other one? Let me know when you figure it out.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

Run Calm Add-On Doctor on Dead Dawg with Distressing, Colourophobia, Sloppy Butcher, and your choice of M&A, Unnerving Presence, or Overwhelming Presence

You won't know with certainty that your build is getting value, but you can bet your ass they'll seething.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,150

Don't forget the relative new perk after the Franklin change that let's them recharge an item.

• GillyBeannn
    GillyBeannn Member Posts: 554

It's shadowstep. It hides survivors auras and scratch marks when you're in the boon radius. Shadowstep will counter aura readings no matter how far or close the killer is.

• eeveelouwho
    eeveelouwho Member Posts: 9

I literally said in my first post that the cleanse time needs to be longer. But the fact is that it's currently unbalanced— the fact that they can reignite it over and over on FOUR different totems is broken af and I cant believe people are trying to argue it isnt.

If all four survivors bring boons, they can activate them over and over and the killers just have to keep going back to it. No way. Should be a one and done snuff, or it should be like a built in undying where the first time you snuff it it can be relit, second time it breaks.

• yougotexposed
    yougotexposed Member Posts: 53

14 seconds is not long enough? That’s 14 seconds off gens and objectives. On top of that, unless they brought a medkit and healing perks it takes time to heal up. Providing you didn’t already find the survivor.

If you’re letting 4 survivors constantly boon totems whilst doing gens and getting unhooks, darling i’m sorry to break it to you but that’s on you….

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

Right . but you also forget that killers have to chase, protect gens, find and hook survivors. Now totems too? This is why people should play killer at high mmr. Just to see how good survivors play.

• yougotexposed

So what are your propositions to changing the current situation without screwing over the rest of the player base that aren’t as you call “high mmr”?

• eeveelouwho
    eeveelouwho Member Posts: 9

For the killer u goose lol. For the time the killer takes to cleanse/snuff a boon, whatever

• Unifall

Change boons to 1 time use. Ez fix. Nothing changes just makes the perks fair.

• yougotexposed

Are the snuffing times for killers gonna be changed to reflect the nerf? Considering they’ll be functioning the same way as hexes if that change is implemented.

• Unifall

Why would it? The problem is with totems they're are unlimited uses. All it takes is 1 boon totem to be somewhere in the map for survivors to take advantage of it. If the killer is going against good survivors theres no way a killer is going to prioritize boons. You need hooks and kills to win the game. Doing boons isn't going to help the killer win. If a survivor is doing boons and the killer focuses boons guess what? the time they spent snuffing out the boon could've been better used. The difference in survivors doing totems is they have no other objective besides healing, gens , and unhooking. Besides that they don't bother with cleansing totems. But I'm sure the boon totem nerf is coming soon. For me tho I've been focusing on survivor and less killer. Becuase of how unfair it is. But tell me how you justify boon totems and how they're fair. 14 seconds is nothing for a killer to work with.