Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Do you guys think the devs are survivor mains?

For the survivor side getting nearly everything they want they have to be survivor mains. I have never seen a patch with good changes that focus more on the killers ( Not a killer or survivor main btw). I always have this bad feeling every time when the devs release an update its either someone or something getting nerfed to the ground or getting buffed to the point its needs to be nerfed again.

Comments

• psionic
    psionic Member Posts: 670

They balance the game towards solo survivors, which doesn't include high MMR, SWF, etc......

• FellowKillerMain
    FellowKillerMain Member Posts: 858

They were doing "a pretty good job so far" up until recently. Lately the game seems to be balanced with reckless abandon. At least when they were trying there was some semblance of balance. Now, they've gone full self-gratification and are simply making the role stronger that makes them money. So, they do favor a side, the survivors, but only because they make them money. If you watch the paulie esther/king interview with MCote, you will find that sentiment sprinkled throughout MCotes responses.

• Jplanas98
    Jplanas98 Member Posts: 532

Part of me wants to say yes just because they've said in the past they balance the game around having fun for survivors while trying to make the game challenging for killers. But realistically, the decisions they make are due to the fact that the survivor playerbase is higher than the killer playerbase, so by making decisions that favor survivors, it causes players to return and creates new players, both of which will potentially end up buying the overpriced cosmetics. That's all it comes down to. Greed.

• botrax
    botrax Member Posts: 633

They just dont know how to play. Not every dev are going to be good at their own game. We need to remember that compagnie kinda got bad dev but they have amazing marketing employer. They could bring a lot of horror icon in their game and for now they have the monopole of the genre so they can do whatever they want

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 924

Almo (game designer) and MCote (game director) are both killer mains, they have streamed their matches frequently. Former gameplay devs Horvath and McLean mostly played killer. Pretty sure Peanits mostly plays killer, he did so on stream anyway. Not_Queen used to mostly play killer, I think?

I don't think I know a single person at BHVR that's actually a survivor main. Not that it would matter, to believe the decisions they make as a hundred-million-dollar company with hundreds of employees are informed and let alone dictated by them playing or preferring one role or another in the game is childishly naive. And even regardless, just look at the patch notes. They buffed 3-blink Nurse with their last update. All but destroyed keys. Left Alchemist Ring, Mother-Daughter Ring and Redhead's Pinky Finger untouched. They created Dried Cherry Blossom. No "survivor main" in their right mind would do any of that. And that's just one update out of hundreds over the last years that have consistently brought with them significant changes to benefit killer gameplay.

Live balance is actually in a fairly good spot. Yeah some killer characters fall a bit short, some even a bit too short, but others are in a great spot, and a few actually overshoot the mark of being balanced. The game has only grown and is more popular now than it has ever been, certainly in terms of player numbers. For the many things BHVR fails to do, they surely are also doing a fair few things right. And if anything the attitude of players to complain about the game a lot also goes to show that those players are notably passionate about the game and find something in it that they just can't let go, otherwise they'd just stop playing and not spend so much time and energy conversating, discussing and ranting about the game here and elsewhere.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

They might just be really bad at killer. At low mmr, the game is just as broken, just the opposite direction.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

I don't see the devs as survivor mains. Just people who are far too eager to balance 100% around average players and leave anyone spends anytime getting good at the game out to dry.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

bold of you to assume they play their own game

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

No.

I think it's a lot simpler than that.

There are a lot more survivor players, and it's way easier to make/sell cosmetics for survivors than for killers.

Thus, it makes more sense economically to focus on the happiness of survivor players.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442

Oh i wish they were survivor mains cause that would imply playing their own game which isn't the case lol

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

They don't play their own game enough to main one side

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,096

I assume that they are. I've seen one play killer a total of 2 times. The one time, he was using dream pallet Freddy and saying that he needed a nerf ESPECIALLY to his pallets, despite saying he didn't even know why Freddy needed a nerf. The other time, he saw someone right next to him trying to unhook a guy, and he's got Iridescent Head Huntress but instead of throwing it at that guy, he backs up almost to the other side of the map and waits for the unhook before he throws it so he can (maybe) hook trade. So this is my response to what the devs are thinking: ?!?!?

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193

I think they just suck at survivor

• lavars
    lavars Member Posts: 312

Every time i see a dev-stream i see them play survivor, but i don't care for it as they want to be treated like every other streamer, but 'eh

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

This. They're developers... for us this is just a game, for them it's their job. They have the means to look at it from a higher, less limited point of view and all the intentions to appease everyone since in their eyes we're not killers or survivors, but customers.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

No. They are driven by what makes the most cash though. Their pr department does stink of a survivor main the way they write. "enjoy it while you can, killer mains" being the last example.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Somewhat correct.

There's no issue with calling out the fact that the Devs seemingly do not understand how high-MMR gameplay works, but my issue is when we starting labeling people as "X" because we don't like what they do.

• M1MASTER
    M1MASTER Member Posts: 352

2019 was probably the best time ever for killers. After that it's been mostly nerfs starting with the Nurse one and the devs becoming obsessed with making every killer feel clunky and "more fun to play against".

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

No, they’re very inconsistent in balance decisions

• SAégis
    SAégis Member Posts: 99

they just have 0 idea on what they are doing or...no they KNOW but purposly ignore cuz survivor is what give them money.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

What worries me is that if they are just focusing on survivors because they make them the most money then DbD will fail them because all the Killer players will leave and the wait times fir survivors will get longer and longer and longer.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

I'll believe it when I see it, there has been so many "this will totally cause a mass exodus and kill the game in Just Two More Weeks guys, just watch!" that turned out to be as successful predictions as the vintage "in 2000 we'll all have flying cars and robot housekeepers!" predictions.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Yes but it is slowly starting to happen.....I have friends who are survivor mains saying how long it takes to find a match....besides I'm not one of those doomsayers I'm just worried is all

• stvnhthr
    stvnhthr Member Posts: 777
    edited November 2021

I don't think they play the game. It is their work, so their relationship to the game is different than ours. I play to escape work, if they play they would see everything wrong and just be creating more work for themselves.

• DbDCasual
    DbDCasual Member Posts: 90

I don't think they play the game at all.

• Stryker
    Stryker Member Posts: 220

yes and no

Behaviour doesn't know what they're doing on a lot of thing, thats right, but they surely know what is best for their wallets, thats why the game is survivors sided, not becuase they like that role, but because survivors are the majority of dbd players and that's where most of the incoming currency cames.

• Vampwire
    Vampwire Member Posts: 709

I don't get why the first reaction to a controversial change is to point the finger and say "the devs are ____!"

Many of the things they have changed recently are actually really good. They fixed Spirit and Deathslinger while giving weaker killers (Trapper, Wraith, Plague, and a couple others) buffs. If they were survivor sided, then we'd still have old DS. And I don't mean the one that didn't deactivated after being unhooked. I mean the one that stunned you for picking up the survivor. Pallets and flashlights wouldn't require timing still. Infinites would still be prominent in every map.

The game has come really far, it's just easier to focus on what's wrong atm and be upset about that then look back on all the stupid ######### that existed before. And I'm not saying that BHVR shouldn't be held accountable for the games current state just because it used to be worse. But they also should be given credit for trying.

Acting like the game favors one side over the other solely because the devs like that side is childish. If you're upset then address the issue. Don't point fingers and use playground politics to justify how you feel.