Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why do so many people believe they have high mmr

i feel like 99% of the people who claim to have high mmr just hit red rank like 3 times and all of a sudden think they have max mmr and are versing death squads every game when its really just not true. its pretty funny that people will be on this forum talking about how they are high mmr and then say something stupid like flashlights are op

Comments

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

I remember on the last SBMM test weekend, I was getting paired against all rank 1 survivors who were God awful potatoes. Legit bot tier. These max rank survivors got carried by the pip system and then when the algorithms changed, they were clearly in the wrong league.(that version of sbmm was clearly trash canned)

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

I can visually see a matchmaking difference in lobby between my fun killers and the ones I try with. Not saying I'm at the top, but there is a clear difference. In game it is also clear when survivors know what they are doing or are just casually competent.

• Zachcjjj
    Zachcjjj Member Posts: 528

id semi agree it depends on your region like i play oce and there's not all that many hackers even at really high mmr there is a couple tho

• Zachcjjj

usually people that take the game way to serious and are still not very good i guess

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

Because generally speaking, the MMR system of this game is joke and if you're playing killer consistently getting to high MMR isn't really hard to do. It's slightly more difficult for survivor, but the only things counted are kills and escapes. The cap is 1900 so it isn't like its a high point value to achieve.

• BadLooperQ
    BadLooperQ Member Posts: 277

At least I know that I'm low MMR Just by the amount of BS I've seen on my games on solo q. It's a whole New world actually, where killers feel overpowered.

• Zachcjjj

the only way ive been able to tell im max mmr is as surv when im versing the best people in my region/ globally all the time as killer tho its a little harder because ill go from versing full legacy comp teams that give me a super fun hard game to some random potatoes that dont look behind them

• mrmain21
    mrmain21 Member Posts: 48
    edited November 2021

The MMR is trash. Basically everyone in the game is over 1900 MMR already or close so it does nothing. Just ask the hacker community who have this information and they will even tell you like every lobby after 50hrs of gameplay is over 1900 MMR. Watch any big streamer play and you will see them paired with people who have less than 100hrs or close vs their 3000hrs or whatever it may be.

• I know theres no way to tell but if I can consistently get 3-4ks on most killers then I can only assume my MMR is, at the very least, above average

• Zachcjjj

i would agree depending on how much mmr you gain a match because if its a tiny bit maybe you just arent at that high mmr yet? but i do see why it could be confusing asf because the devs are so unclear

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Pretty sure that they average team mmr for survivors and killers are subject to anyone just to keep wait time to a minimum.

Can't say I find skilled swf fun. In most matches gens are overly quick and 1v1 is boring as he'll when your just forced to bust pallets until they make a mistake. Though could be the fact I don't like any of the killer that can function on their level or they can straight ignore my favorite perk.

• Zachcjjj

i think mmr is way worse at high queue time points of the day but when there is a big pool of people it works decently well tbh

• botrax
    botrax Member Posts: 633
  • dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I know I’m not top MMR, I’m terrible at hitting jukers and aiming with Deathslinger and things like that so even though I’m generally successful in terms of positioning myself where I need to be and finding survivors and such my tactical misses hurt me for sure against good runners.

As far as why people think they’re better than they are, though, that’s pretty common. A study in the ‘80s for instance had over 90% of US driver responding that they believed they were “above average” drivers. But obviously that’s mathematically impossible, many of those people must statistically be in the lower half of drivers in terms of safety, etc. If more than 10% of players think they’re in the top 10% of the playerbase then that would be a similar misconception.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,224

It's why I really think the decision to hide MMR is misguided. Players already greatly over-estimated their skill level. The formula has already more or less been confirmed by the devs. There's zero reason to really hide it other than to hide the fact that it doesn't work all that well.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited November 2021

That's why it makes no sense to hide MMR other than preventing people from knowing it's not working well.

While not exactly a reliable way of telling if you're high MMR, I typically find that you're around max MMR when the play time of people in your lobbies is at least 1.5-2k+ hours each.

• Very true. I probably just have to keep working on it

• hiken
    hiken Member Posts: 1,188

tbh gen rushing in this game doesnt require much skill, lots of survivors even when they are bad at looping can do gens at high mmr speed and if u are not very good with that killer you may lose even against potatoes...

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

A good indication of high mmr is when all the survivors are efficient loopers and do the objective fast as possible. They also don't 3 gen, counter camping, all have ds and bt and know when to body block. Most of the efficient teams are swf with comms so it makes sense.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Because it's the logical conclusion in my case.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Yep. A lot of people seem to think they are amazing and are at the highest MMR possible. They don't want to accept that they might not be as good as they think they are.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

It's really hard to tell.

I seem to oscillate wildly between crazy good 3-4man SWFs who roflstomp me with like 3 hooks max, or almost complete beginners without a full perk loadout.

Some nights are much more consistent.

Tonight has been bananas.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

I know that I used to be high MMR for a lot of killers, especially Pyramid and Nurse. When it wasn't a hacker it was a tournament squad with a ######### ton of hours (I checked steam profiles :) ). However now thankfully my killer seems to be fine.

Survivor, however- oh good lord I'm stuck in Ruin Undying Tinkerer hell and can't ever escape.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,896

idk how about... clone builds, God toolboxes/medkits, map offerings, really well organized teams 8 games in a row, only 1 weak link in a few games. Man I wonder if I'm high mmr or not...

• nostrada96ass
    nostrada96ass Member Posts: 257

maybe im not at high mmr with survivors

because theres lots of wm1 happens and i don't escaping matches

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568

I was wondering about it myself. A lot of threads begins with "I'm so tired being high mmr fix your game pls".

Sometimes I think there is no MMR and we still playing by old ranking system. As killer I win several games with 4k and then I lose several games horribly. Almost no inbetween results. Pretty same situation for survivor.

• ImBrakingBike
    ImBrakingBike Member Posts: 454

lol for real.

I remember when the SBMM was the main topic here there were soooo many people complaining about the teammates lol. Not gonna lie, I've had that kind of match where my teammates can't even hit a skill check, but I've also had matches where I derp like a noob and only get out because of the other players doing most of the things. I find it somehow balanced tbh.

I think that's how it goes for most people, but I guess no one would come here to talk about how bad they played and how lucky they were to be matched to better-skilled players(?

Also, maybe the average or casual player doesn't even know the forum exists. Like they play the game, win or lose and just move on to the next match. Some probably don't even care about the ranking system at all.

• 비헤브
    비헤브 Member Posts: 44

The biggest victims of MMR are players below the Red Rank.

• legacycolt
    legacycolt Member Posts: 1,684

I play with a lot of Hackers + I escape a lot so I’m assuming my MMR is high.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

Well, flashlights ARE OP.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Agreed, I think I've faced like 2-3 hackers total in the last 3 or 4 years. We either don't have a lot of hackers down here, or we're better at hiding it.

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140
    edited November 2021

If you win more than you lose it's safe to assume you have high MMR, but anyways MMR should be public so we can know but for some reason a lot of people are against it are people that claim to have high mmr

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

MMR is based off kills and escapes only according the own devs. My kill rate is above 75%, so it's safe to assume I'm at least on high MMR (maybe not top, but close).

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

As killer it's not that hard to work out.

It's incredibly unlikely to get into high grades without a significant number of 3-4ks just based on how the emblem system works. You can't get enough hits for malicious, hooks for malicious and devout and kills for devout to rank up if you aren't killing people. You can't "de-grade" but you're as statistically likely to depip on the lowest point of a grade as you are at any other pip, so outside of extreme outliers, you're unlikely to actually lose anywhere near as many games as you win if you're grading up normally. From what we know about MMR, there's not actually a huge range, and even if there is, you're probably just matched with broader and broader ranges at extremes or you'd never find a match.

So basically, if you're hitting red ranks, you're getting close to +4000MMR a month at least.

Survivor is much harder to tell because you can perform really well and die and you can be absolutely useless and live, so there's not a great degree of determining where anyone is or should be.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Im not top mmr because the moment i get a whiff of the no fun zone i will play extra casually.

• Zachcjjj

the only reason i dont think mmr should be public is it just incentivises people to play as boring as possible on both sides to make the number go up

• Zachcjjj

yeah its a really bad system im pretty sure its incredibly easy to get max mmr as killer due to the fact you only need 1 kill to raise your mmr. Survivor is maybe a little harder if youre playing solo or something but even then escaping isnt all that hard

• PleassBuiltInNoed
    PleassBuiltInNoed Member Posts: 618

I think its mostly because of perks they verse. If you see survivor team run full meta perks you feel like you have high mmr because it's just next to impossible to do anything them with majority of killers. Then if as survivor you see full meta killer build on good killer, it's exactly the same thing. Too oppressive perk builds for both sides just make it feel like you can't do anything regardless of how well both sides played.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

That issue imo hasnt been solved SWF still gets carried in SBMMR because all you need to higher your score is to escape.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

100% dead serious. Flashlights are the only Survivor item in the game that can regress Killer objective progression by negating a hook (outside of a firecracker or flash bang, which is effectively the same thing). And it only takes 3 seconds of holding M2 to do it, if that.

• 비헤브
    비헤브 Member Posts: 44

If MMR is maintained until the end, the future of this game is already decided. Even now, in our country, we are against MMR and we are deleting the game. This has been verified in our community where thousands of people use it.