How to not let players messages get to me?

Options

Alright this post will probably come off as stupid, but is there any way to not let messages from other players get to me? I'm aware I can make my profile private meaning people can't message me, but that's basically a last resort to me as I like getting ggs which is as common as those bad messages. Probably doesn't help I've got mental health issues, but that's besides the point. Is there any good way to help me calm down rather than immediately getting pissed off? Also sorry if this should go into a different section of the forums instead of general discussions, you would think I'd know this at almost 2k posts but I guess not.

Comments

• selflessnea
    selflessnea Member Posts: 565
    Options

Just laugh it off. Maybe give some banter back.

• aknitus
    aknitus Member Posts: 124
    Options

Switching to a different game helps me with this.

• Leatherface1990
    Leatherface1990 Member Posts: 718
    Options

Keep playing this awesomely developed game by the best developers on the planet.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

I've also struggled with not getting pissed off and replying back when people send me nasty messages.

I did make my comments private, since I don't care about getting "ggs" or whatever.

If you think at the end of the day those rude messages are only coming from random people on the internet that you probably wont even meet ever again, it makes them look more insignificant and meaningless.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,782
    Options

Unfortunately this game specifically isnt the issue, but rather toxicity in general on any game.

I have however been enjoying offline games a bit, although its kinda dissapointing as I like the competitiveness to online games.

• Leatherface1990
    Leatherface1990 Member Posts: 718
    Options

It's the best.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    Options

Might try that in future, not sure if itll lead to success or not but oh well.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    Options
  • aknitus
    aknitus Member Posts: 124
    Options

Just like War and Fury go hand in hand, so does competitiveness and toxicity. 🙂

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,223
    Options

Play survivor.

In all seriousness dont take anything personally, most people forgot about their last match 10 seconds after they leave.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

This is a good one.

Sometimes I get so heated about a match, but when I'm on a new one 10 seconds later I completely forget about it and have moved on.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,031
    Options

I usually send them back a LOL or a thumbs up emoji or something pending the exact nature of their message. They either never respond or they go nutter butters and that's super entertaining.

• Anniehere
    Anniehere Member Posts: 1,257
    Options

Keep your profile private. In this game I also feel pretty lonely, you can't really trust random people to tell you nice things.

When your chat is closed, the only thing you will see is just silly gestures in-game.

Such behavior is easier to wave and forget. Words are something completely different and you should always keep yourself away from being exposed to them.

I'm sorry you feel down because of these people..

• ShyPirate
    ShyPirate Member Posts: 365
    Options

Yes, something like this. If I get a message along the lines of "hook camping tunneling trash" I send back "Thanks! It was fun playing with you too!"

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,873
    Options

Ignore it?

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,341
    Options

Y'know, sometimes it just gets to you, no matter what. There's been a fair few games that had me absolutely livid, followed by the audacity of the survivor that more often than not wasn't even the one harassing me in-game.

Best advice I can give you, as others said, is to make your profile friends-only, and just put the game down if it's getting that bad. Sadly, online expletive-faces will always be around, and, quite frankly, are a necessary evil when you want to maintain even the slightest of slivers of privacy online. Although not even that's sacred with the hacker stories going around.

• TheDarkTyrant
    TheDarkTyrant Member Posts: 2,074
    Options

I like messing with them. Call me trash and I'll just say some random stuff that makes no sense to confuse them. Some of their reactions are pretty funny.

• Clowning
    Clowning Member Posts: 886
    Options

Remind yourself that you're far too important, and so are those close to you, to be wasting even a single thought on morons that you'll never meet again and want nothing to do with, they don't decide your value, you and your reaction does.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,091
    Options

Making my profile private was the best decision. I may miss out on ggs BUT knowing someone that's toxic can't message me and instead has to keep it to themself brings me more joy than any gg ever could.

BHVR should make it so players get notified for thumbs up. Then players that only leave chat/messages open for gg can close those down and only use thumbs up for nice gg.

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551
    edited November 2021
    Options

Press Continue and queue up into the next match? Bro close your eyes don't read it lol

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,405
    Options

Turn it off.

It was hard for me to do, because I used to have such great experiences and met some wonderful people, but it was for the best.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,060
    Options

Turn it off if you're on console but no matter how you play you will always have someone complaining about something.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

I mean, don’t we all have mental health issues? I spent some time on the top floor of the hospital myself if you know what I mean.

as far as the messages go, ######### em. Ppl will try to ruin a good thing no matter how you look at it. Just take the positive and breathe it in.

side note: when you refuse to give up your boots and you ask them why they want them, they really just want the boot strings mostly. Do not retort with you’d strip the strings out of the blinds instead of using your laces. 1) you’ll be confined for a bit 2.) The blinds will be replaced with pull down shade things. 3.)paper clips and receptacles can make a great spark for that smuggled in cigarette before morning shower.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

Ask yourself their value to you. It is probably somewhere close to zero, yes? Well there you go, that literally useless person who could barely articulate their thoughts will disappear from yours faster than you can ask yourself, "seriously, what is wrong with people?"

• Ussu
    Ussu Member Posts: 177
    Options

I understand completely. I find ggs very satisfying and toxic rantings very horrifying. I have anxiety issues and apparently ptsd according to my therapist, so those toxic and abusive messages are very difficult to deal with, and it's way easier said than done when told to ignore them or just don't look at them. I t h ink we both know it's more like a train wreck. You don't wanna look at it but you just can't stop yourself.

The only thing that helped me so far was advice from my therapist to take it slow, one moment at a time, don't beat yourself up when you fall short of the goal you set on how you want to react, and take a deep breath. You know, the breathing exercises to calm down and clear your mind. Over time you will get to a point where that helps more and more. Also, distracting yourself might help, such as stopping and looking around you to count every single blue colored item you can see. You can also try going to do something else calming for a bit then come back to game. At the end of the day remember this is just a game and salty players be salty but there's not much they can do so long as you're following the rules/tos.... except for the ddos apparently... but that seems to be more an issue for high ranks and ttv.

• throwaway79465468797
    throwaway79465468797 Member Posts: 682
    edited November 2021
    Options

Well I'm no therapist but the way I learned is by better processing your emotions with questions. Like when you know you're getting angry but youre not angry at the game or something you did... so you ask yourself why? Am I angry because of this person? Will that matter later in life? Does this affect my physical health?

If you can catch yourself getting angry then you have just enough time to process it. Otherwise you're better off venting your stress or destressing in general. Watching a movie, exercising, stress balls... that kinda stuff. Above all else do your best not to entice negativity with more negativity. In other words dont feed the trolls.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    Options

Small little update, privated my account, may be until my mental health is in a better state, may be permanent.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,155
    Options

Yeah honestly if you want to just avoid messages of any kind, privacy settings + not acknowledging the endgame chat is the best way to go aobut it

These days if I come across players who are trying to get a rise out of me for whatever reason, I just say gg and click continue. Don't let them occupy any space in my mind and move on

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815
    Options

Recognize that people like that are limp-dick crybabies. They want you to play gently with them because you hurt their widdle feewings. Mommy never taught them about sportsmanship because she didn't love them enough.

You'll never get approval from #########, and you shouldn't seek it. Kill them however you want, if they don't like the game, they can quit.

Survivors are not your peers, killers are.