Is there any reason to pick Slinger over Huntress now?

Options

I used to play Deathslinger all the time pre nerf. The ability to sneak up on survivors and quick scope them was so much fun.

after the nerf though I found myself playing more and more Huntress to a point where she’s now one of my favourite killers to play, and the more I play her the more I realise just how much better than Slinger she is, the only thing he had going for him over her was

• Quickscoping
  • ”Stealth” I.e being able to sneak up on survivors more effectively

That’s now all gone, whereas Huntress can still

• Down over pallets
  • Has near unlimited range
  • Has better attack recovery e.g she can M2 into M2 or M2 into M1 faster than Slinger can ‘shoot, reel in, hit, reload, repeat’

So my question is, is there now any reason at all to pick Deathslinger over Huntress? And if not then I think the devs seriously need to consider reverting some of the nerfs because right now seeing anyone play Slinger anymore is rarer than a solar eclipse

Comments

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294
    edited November 2021
    Options

Unless you like his hat or ######### up leg, then no...

He is just clumsy, worse, less fun, less unique Huntress with limitations that she doesn't have.

• lovemeplz
    lovemeplz Member Posts: 84
    Options

The removal of quickscoping certainly kill the killer. I think right now what people need is addon to reduce the aiming speed

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,853
    Options

If you want to punish yourself then yeah.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252
    Options

gun cool

• throwaway79465468797
    Options

Not much reason to play many killers over Huntress right now.. at least not at high MMR

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968
    Options

The hitbox for Deathslinger's spear is much smaller than the Huntress' hatchet. So in that sense, if you are an expert in both killers then there will be shots you can physically get with the speargun that you won't be able to with the hatchets.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,072
    Options

There's not even a reason to pick Slinger over Trickster

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,573
    Options

I'd still pick huntress over slinger anyday of the week...

...######### the slinger nerfs,

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096
    Options

For me personally: I find him better to play around loops by pre-aiming, I can choose to give deep wound to someone and go after another to waste some of their time, I can hit shots that I can't normally hit with Huntress, and most of all I find his gun more fun to play with.

As you said though, since his basekit stealth gameplay was removed, I find Monitor and Abuse to be mandatory on him.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

Even before his nerfs, I don't see how Deathslinger is even close to the same level as Huntress. Sorry if that sounds harsh I just don't think the two are even comparable if I'm being completely honest.

A good Huntress is just insanely strong, easily top A tier. Deathslinger has always felt like B or lower, I think it's the fact that Huntress can more reliably end chases faster. Sometimes with Slinger it varies but all that being said, now he's REALLY even worse than he's ever been.

Idk I just don't see how he's a projectile killer since his gun doesn't actually injure people it just gives him a means to draw them in and get the first hit whereas with Huntress you straight-up chunk health states with each shot.

Also I think Huntress has better add-ons overall vs Deathslinger. Just adding more wood to the fire

• Remedicist
    Options

For me personally: I find him better to play around loops by pre-aiming, I can choose to give deep wound to someone and go after another to waste some of their time, I can hit shots that I can't normally hit with Huntress, and most of all I find his gun more fun to play with.

As you said though, since his basekit stealth gameplay was removed, I find Monitor and Abuse to be mandatory on him.

I don't think Deathslinger overall is better than Huntress, but for me he is more fun to use.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108
    Options

He has a top hat

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

no.

• Fobbo
    Fobbo Member Posts: 452
    Options

If you really like playing him then yes. If you dont then no

• elpoh
    elpoh Member Posts: 222
    edited November 2021
    Options

being a cowboy.... i guess...

but no, huntress is just better in any way....

HUNTRESS VS DEATHSLINGER

unfair proyectile hitbox & fast camera aiming VS super small proyectile hitbox & slow camera aiming

microscopic movement speed penalty after shots VS extremely long movement speed penalty followed by weapong wipe animation followed by need to recharge with another extremely long movement speed penalty

able to shot 4-7 times before need to recharge VS need to recharge after every single shot

addons to increase the proyectile charge / speed / cooldown VS only recharge

always damage after hitting a survivor VS need to pull them, risk of being bodybocked and impossible to perform in dropped pallets

strong ultrarare addons VS ######### ultrarare with the same problems as the base power (and don't even work with a lunge, you have to be smelling the survivor shampoo to work)

• Dino7281
    edited November 2021
    Options

Problem is that it got way harder to make those shots because of longer ADS. So right now it is just negative, because you are more likely to miss.

• Dino7281
    Options

He was my main, but why should I bother, when I don't enjoy playing him anymore?

Even Trickster is better and more fun... Trickster...

• Dino7281
    Options

It's kinda sad. Hey this perk can be too good against bad players, alright let force everyone to use it!

Also mending tactic got worse because of CoH.

• Crowman
    Options

I wouldn't say it got harder. Trick shots that you could do as Deathslinger before are literally impossible now, because there's no way you'll ever line up a shot through a hole in a wall with the delay you have to shoot.

• Remedicist
    Options

I agree, CoH disrupts Slinger a lot currently. Not every Slinger used Monitor before as well and it was simply a nice perk on him since it enhanced what the game made him into: a stealthy ranged hunter. Now in order to play as he is intended, a specific perk is needed. It was a completely unneeded change.

The balance team has the problem of changing more than is needed. The best example I can give is when they overnerfed Freddy. Freddy's action penalty add-ons were problematic, but now he is left with a lackluster power and add-ons that do nothing to enhance his gameplay. And I still prefer og Freddy so both my mains being nerfed sucks.

I personally think the ads changes were okay as it gives survivors some counterplay (although the values could be reduced a bit) and it is more of a muscle memory thing to learn, but they did not give him much to compensate for the change. I think he should keep his 24m terror radius, move at 4.0m/s when aiming, change his ads movement speed addons into spear speed add-ons, and increase the values of his add-ons as they do not do a whole lot currently.

I read somewhere in another discussion that he should move at 115% when he has not reloaded. An interesting idea, but I think that would be more of an add-on change idea.

• Crowman
    Options

Quickscope did not need to be removed. Deathslinger already gave survivors counterplay with the whole reeling and chain breaking mechanic. Now Deathslinger is a killer with a power that has double counterplay on top of it being extremely punishing when you miss.

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968
    Options

I agree that the ADS delay is a little TOO much, it feels disjointed moving in and out. I honestly feel if they lessen it just a fraction on both sides that it would reach a nice medium, especially with the 'shot ready' ring.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

Chase music?

• Dino7281
    Options

I mean, it wouldn't really be broken in any way if he was just always 115%. He has limited range and can't down over pallets. That's already less than Plague, PH.

• Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285
    Options

Yes, but now that Otz revealed he's canonically bald, not even that is a reason anymore.

• Dino7281
    Options

I would let him quick-scope, but keep nerf to fake ADS, so Deathslinger is forced to commit on his shots.

It was possible to react to it even before, because of travel time and super small hitbox, but most Deathslingers would just fake it and they didn't really fix that. They fix it only because noone can be bothered to play him anymore. It's just not fun.

• Remedicist
    Options

True, I would like to try that out. It would be better than leaving him the way he currently is.

• Dino7281
    edited November 2021
    Options

It wouldn't be enough reason for me to start playing him tho, but he would be better for sure.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    Options

You aren't wrong. Deathslinger has always been overall a worse ranged killer than Huntress. The thing is though that Old Deathslinger wasn't just a ranged killer. In those other categories, he was arguably better than the other killers who were already there.

M&A Slinger was a very good stealth killer... and most of the other stealth killers aren't the greatest. Mostly because if their stealth plays fail, they just have to brute force everything with standard M1 gameplay which usually isn't fast enough. Deathslinger doesn't have that problem, so he was probably the best stealth killer in the game.

Non M&A Slinger could actually be built to abuse his Deep Wounds with Sloppy and 3 mid chase info perks to be a split pressure killer like Plague and Legion. Plague and Legion are also (usually) in the boat of needing to get M1 gameplay down to actually get people on the floor. Because Deathslinger has his Redeemer to get downs as well, he's arguably a better split pressure killer than Legion or pre buff Plague.

Neither of these play styles are possible after his Terror Radius got changed to 32m. Stealth doesn't work because he isn't stealthy anymore. Split pressure gives too much warning that he's trying to switch targets. Now both of these may have also died when CoH came out, but... the Terror Radius nerf basically deleted them.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747
    Options

Not really id pick huntress over slinger anytime of the day. Slinger is the worst ranged killers imo. He was nerfed to the ground kinda like Billy, no one wants to touch him.

• Impose
    Impose Member Posts: 400
    Options

There wasn't really a reason BEFORE his nerf to pick him over Huntress. He's just even worse to play now rofl