Why rank is broken

Options

I'd like to give several examples between SWF and Solo survivor. I personally feel like rank at the moment is unbelievably broken. It's just so easy to rank up when you're in a SWF vs Solo.

Now before I begin with comments saying "why do you care about rank?" I care about rank because it's supposed to place you in your "skill cap" supposedly. Lower ranks, average, high or top ranks really should stick with their skill cap because the fact that one side can completely dominate the other doesn't make it fun. I understand that sometimes you'll lose your games but it just kinda ruins it when it happens often.

SOLO SURVIVOR:

• Depends majorly on the hatch if the match goes poorly
  • You WILL encounter toxic survivors that will actually go against you believe it or not. Rare, but still possible. (Toxic by body blocking you into an area, helping killer to kill you.)
  • Hatch stand off against survivor. I've had a few games where there was two people left and this person kept jumping over things (fast vaulting) so the killer could try to kill me for the hatch.
  • You absolutely have no idea what your teammates are doing. This is how the game was meant to be without voice chat. It makes it very difficult, and you actually have to be careful with your actions + being more self aware.
  • Match takes a lot longer depending how my other teammates are. Sometimes people disconnect at the very beginning for no reason (or as soon as they got downed the first time)

SWF SURVIVOR(S):

• Get lots of more BPs depending if it was lots of hook saves, being very altruistic, constant flashlight saves, constant pallet saves, you name it.
  • Can warn their friends/teammates whenever.
  • Can tell their friends killer's add ons, and perks.
  • Gen rushing is more of a problem. So if the killer is chasing someone, 2 people can be working on 2 different gens and 1 person goes for the save.
  • It's just so much more easier to get more BPs because of how altruistic they are. (As long as they're not TOO altruistic which results in their death)
  • Boosted survivors.

It takes me forever to rank up as a solo survivor (literally more than 4-5+ games sometimes). I noticed this because when I played SWF with my boyfriend, or sister; I notice that after 2-3 games I get a lot more points and I'm not even sure why. I get more points in the majority of the categories too not just altruism.

I've also ended up in matches where I was rank 11 with a bunch of red ranks and a red rank killer who moried me. Not fun at all.

I've had games where lower ranked killers (rank 17-20) played in my rank and ended up getting destroyed. It made me feel bad tbh. This sometimes happens but it's still sad honestly.

I'm not even sure if this is a lobby issue where lower rank killers can't find survivors who are newbies or just lower ranked as well so instead the game just gives them whatever or straight up 4-man SWF.

Like I understand that this game is unbalanced but does your ranking system also have to be unbalanced and broken? How laughable. Rank shouldn't even exist if it's going to work like that.

Comments

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    Options

SWFs should be pitted against killers several ranks higher to counter some of their advantages and to prevent survivors ranking up too far. Or maybe people need a seperate SWF rank.

• Timo425
    Timo425 Member Posts: 20
    Options

My main problem with the ranking is that at any rank, even at rank 1, the skill of survivors vary wildly. One match I can kill all survivors with 4 gens still left playing fair, another match the survivors moonwalk out of the gate and i got only 1 hook (not sacrifice, hook) in total.
    Maybe if playing in red ranks would give you some bonus rewards but getting there would be a lot more difficult both for killers and survivors, then the ranking would make more sense.

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142
    Options

The ranking system is broken because its not a rank based on skill, its a rank based on how much you play the game in the month before rank reset. Its too easy to rank up (even as a solo survivor and killer) and even easier to derank.

• AntiJelly
    AntiJelly Member Posts: 1,155
    Options

Rank isn't broken, it acts "as intended". The problem is that it just blatantly sucks. As survivor, you're rewarded for being a jack of all trades in EVERY match, which sometimes isn't possible with gen jockeys/people who get chased all game. According to the ranking system, a good survivor can do 2-3 generators, several hook saves and heals, several minutes of chase, and survive the entire trial un-downed. This simply isn't possible, and the ranking system has to be changed again or else players will continue to be pitted against each other with insanely varying skill levels.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
    Options

@lasombra1979 said:
    The ranking system is broken because its not a rank based on skill, its a rank based on how much you play the game in the month before rank reset. Its too easy to rank up (even as a solo survivor and killer) and even easier to derank.

Exactly. Since rank is the only play option and getting a safety pip is a joke and getting at least 1 pip is very easy most people will make it to high ranks with little time and effort. Yes there is a difference between a rank 1 player and a rank 20 player but its not because of the numbered rank that player is but because most rank 1 players have been playing DBD for longer than most rank 20 players (mind you rank reset constantly skews them back together). Experience is being too highly valued over skill with this ranking system. I'm not sure what the player base looks like but either we need to have a casual mode separated from rank or rank needs to become more difficult to achieve. Both of these methods also carry their own difficulties.

If we add a casual mode then DBD's player base may not be high enough to sustain a healthy rank system making rank unplayable with wait times. On the contrary if we make the ranking system more skill based and more difficult to climb then we end up in a situation where people will become ever more toxic. For the later option think of Overwatch and how horrible people are to their teammates. Since it is a team game and you are dependent on each other (to an extent) people will become ever more flamed at one another. I think with a more "skill" based system DBD would reach new levels of toxicity.

I would personally prefer rank to simply be removed entirely as it currently holds little value. I feel with no rank number/icon showing on your account and creating a false sense of accomplishment more people might just chill and enjoy the game. Sadly humans are hardwired to be competitive and reach for rewards and success and the current system is creating a false sense of both and pushing people to get upset far too easily.