Who will vote for DBD for the "Labor of Love" Award?

Shiartu
Shiartu Member Posts: 45
edited December 2021 in General Discussions

I saw that BHVR really want people to vote on them, on steam, for the "Labor of Love"-award. But do they really think they deserve that themselves. I have played DbD for many years now, and most of my steam-friends is added because of DbD. The avg hour per 14 day, on DbD was among my friends from 60-120 hours. And now not a single on of them is over 25 hours, and a lot have stopped playing.

Its sad that the game has come to this state, but asking the community to give them that award. I don't see it comming. What is your take on this. Do BHVR love the game, or just the money?

Comments

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

I voted last year (I think it was) but I'm not going to this year. Pretty unhappy with the state of things and some of the decisions Bhvr has made for this game.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Not me just because I'm lazy.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,610

I did. Making poor decisions isn't indicative of not caring about their game, and it's still getting plenty of attention and care from the devs, so they're at least legitimate nominees for the award.

Dead By Daylight is a labour of love, and there's a strong argument for that being a contributing factor to its ongoing issues.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

I'm willing to give it to BHVR, if they prove themselves.

But in my eyes, I don't see DLC as a labor, or as something loving. That's you trying to make a sale, and Sales are all BHVR really goes for.

Now, if we get more patches like that last one McLean was involved in, sure I'll think about it.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

You're not going to get a lot of positive responses here lol.

This is the place people come to complain and there is a lot to complain about now.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

They put out paid dlc,cosmetic, and battle passes if anything its a love of money. They need to be held accountable for repeated bed decisions. If a drunk keeps getting in his car to home to his kids does that make it ok for them to make bad decisions even with good intentions?

• jesterkind

I don't quite get that argument. They do put out paid DLCs, but those DLCs clearly have a lot of work put into them, they're not lazy cash grabs.

Also, their bad decisions are about video game balancing, don't cheapen the very real damage drunk driving does with that comparison.

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798

I will, cause it has improved immensely since I started playing 4 years ago.

• Maverick_74F
    Maverick_74F Member Posts: 159

As much as I play this game absolutely not. They don't listen to their community that well and get lazy doing events. Hell if they won the reward to celebrate we would probably get 50k blood points so we can get half a blood web done. Personally I gave mine to sea of thieves. This game really turned its self around after launch and there's so much to do I've put over 30 days in it.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

I'm glad they make nice dlc that cost money when there's bugs and huge gameplay and security issues. Just because they make the bad decisions look nice doesn't change them from been bad.

How does what behavior effect drunk drivers?

I was using a situations of bad decisions making drunk driving is something everyone can understand as bad decision make i didn't have idea of a universally understood bad decisions.

My point stands just because they have good intentions and make it look pretty doesn't change the fact that they repeatedly make bad decisions.

• Waterfall
    Waterfall Member Posts: 202

No I don’t see any labor of love in this game.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

So looks like ..

No -15

Maybe - 1

Yes - 2

If I counted right

• JeanCharpentier
    JeanCharpentier Member Posts: 370

I will specifically vote for the long dark. Devs put way much more love into this game than BHVR did on DbD. Sorry BHVR but the community is totally unhappy atm.

• Shiartu
    Shiartu Member Posts: 45

Well at least im not surprised. Lets see what happens when VHS comes out, if they lose some of thier playerbase... Maybe then it will balance out, when its mostly new players playing DbD

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047

Yes.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I'd say the end result of that labor definitely has to count for something. it could be your pride and joy, magnum opus, etc. etc., but if the end result is no good, then it's not going to stack up well compared to something that is someone else's pride and joy, magnum opus, etc. etc. while also having results to match that dedication.

• jesterkind

Sure.

But since it's still a labour of love, and since I don't think the end result is nearly as bad as the majority of this thread, that doesn't really change much.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I sure as hell won't

• jesterkind

I'm deathly curious to know what people think "labour of love" actually means. It seems like everyone expects some implied baseline of quality from something described that way, which is really weird to me.

• xili84
    xili84 Member Posts: 130

Not me, thanks for asking :)

The one positive thing they did for me personally was Artist. But I already know it is only a matter of time before the "She is overperforming, we are nerfing pig" argument comes out. So even on that my joy is extremely tempered, as I look at their history of decision making.

If they wanted to win that award, for me they would have had to make that 'joke patch' a real patch. That would be a good start for gaining the love of the community back.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,157

Only if by "Labor of Love" they mean "Labor of Love of Money" or "Labor of Love of Testing Breaking Point of Playerbase."

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,520

Ah no. No Man's Sky again for me this year; real events, new content, all free!

• DragonJester
    DragonJester Member Posts: 24

Compared to every other indie game on the market? Absolutely not. The vast majority of the community is not happy with the game, and this goes beyond the community being somewhat whiny. Simple problems are ignored, large community outcries are responded to tactlessly, and it's not a coincidence that the appearance of any other game in this genre has tons of people looking for greener pastures.

Whatever love is or was here, I definitely don't feel it. And for a company that was said to be one of the best to work at, it doesn't really seem to be translating to their product which is REALLY disappointing.

This game feels like someone got lucky with something catching on and ran with it as best they could for as long as they could, but we're way past that point right now.

• jesterkind

I really don't know why so many people are resistant to the idea that BHVR obviously care a lot about their darling, and they're just somewhat bad at balancing + ongoing development. Does it make it easier to swallow to think they're greedy corporate scumbags who don't care about the game or something?

• TAG

Why is that weird? You seem to be the only person who doesn't have some expectation of quality. Even the one other person in this thread who said yes is speaking about the quality of the game.

• jesterkind

Because that's not what that phrase means? Either there's the literal definition- something undertaken out of passion without being paid- that doesn't apply to this context, or there's the definition supplied by Steam; developers who continually update and care for their game in an active capacity.

That doesn't imply quality anywhere. I don't think the game is as dramatically busted as others, but even if it were, that doesn't technically apply here. What's being measured is how much developers care for their game, and I think it's incredibly obvious that BHVR care deeply- they're just inconsistently competent at actually applying that to the game's quality.

• TAG

The implication is that a product of a labor of love will generally have a quality that matches that labor of love. Hence, the expectation that a labor of love will stand out in that regard, even if it can be a little rough around the edges in places.

TBH, I don't really believe that what BHVR is doing is necessarily a sign of caring deeply. No more than any other game that continuously pumps out content. Like, what makes BHVR's efforts toward the game more a "labor of love" than other games?

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Nobody is going to deny that their are problems with the game but to say the vast majority of the community being unhappy with the game is not entirely correct.

These forums are but a fraction of the community, they don't reprisent the whole community. If the vast mayority was unhappy the vast mayority would stop playing it. And that's not what's happening.

• jesterkind

If you don't believe the quality warrants voting for it as a winner, then by all means, don't vote for it to win, but people keep responding to me as though they aren't a legitimate nominee and as though they're corporate scumbags pumping out lazy, uncaring cash grabs, which is what I'm disputing.

As for what I'm basing it on, I'm basing it on how much work and care is put into the content they produce. Maybe less so the events, those are getting a little sloppy, but each DLC clearly has a lot of work put into it, far more than any cash grab. That's not to say there aren't problems with them, nor that they're even really needed, but they clearly aren't a product of not caring about what you're pumping out.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,463

I definitely will not.

• DragonJester

Yea, please go check where they put out the word asking for votes on any platform. Twitter, reddit, their own discord, their own forum, even Steam. Everyone laughed.

• DragonJester

You missed the part where I mentioned their terrible reactions to the community outside of the game. So you'll need to inform me on where you think this love is that the rest of us are so blind to.

If you stopped trying to paint differing opinions to make yourself feel like you have an optimistic high ground, this would be a much simpler discussion.

• jesterkind

What terrible reactions are you referring to, exactly? I've seen a few examples before, but they've never been particularly compelling as even incorrect, let alone reason to start slinging around comments about not caring or what have you.

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446

Themselves

• FilthyLegionMain
    FilthyLegionMain Member Posts: 1,148

BHVR got me to play Fortnite again because of their weird decisions.

FECKING. FORTNITE.

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

Not a chance.

Stagnation. Minimal content development. Constant bugs, some of which never get fixed. Outdated and amateurish balancing and design philosophy. Failure to acknowledge or address core design issues. Broken game on console for years. Greed. Lack of respect for playerbase. The list goes on.

I still play the game, albeit not too often, but that’s only because there’s no viable alternative and it has great potential. Once VHS is out I’ll be spending most of my gaming time there. I’ll still check back occasionally as DBD is unique, no matter how flawed.