Has anyone made Hex: Pentimento useful?

Veinslay
Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959
edited December 2021 in General Discussions

I've been playing with this perk like all weekend and I don't think I've gotten any value out of it. It seems terrible! I've been running it with Ruin/Undying/Devour and Thrill/Devour/Undying. I'm able to get up to 2 stacks of the perk activated, no problem. The problem is that unless the survivors have amnesia and forgot where they cleansed a totem, they just go cleanse it immediately. It's just a way to waste time for the survivors which is not useful because your time is infinitely more valuable. I've tried being strategic about utilizing it to get the most of the 1st stack benefit which is typically after the survivors find out Devour is in play. They aren't on gens during that time anyway, they're off looking for hexes. I guess it's okay for getting regression during that time, but you have to go kick gens when you should be finding and downing survivors before Devour is gone. It seems like you can only get really good value against solo queuers and you don't even need this perk to beat solo queue. It does nothing against SWF. Terrible perk!

Comments

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513

yes.

if you run plaything and devour/thrill with it, you're almost guaranteed use.

I recommend waiting until all five totems (or as many as possible) are down before rekindling.

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968

I've been having a lot of success pairing it with retribution/plaything personally.

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

What would make the perk more useful is if it would almost slot machine the hex perk onto another random slot on the map

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063
    edited December 2021

I think that'd be too powerful. It'd be like old Ruin/Undying without even taking the other effects into account. Pentimento's effects and potential 5x placement are balanced on the premise that they're easier to remove than a typical hex totem. The core issue with the perk isn't that at least one survivor already knows where the totem is, it's that survivors no longer have to cleanse hex totems and were already discouraged from cleansing dulls when boons entered the mix and the opportunity to use this perk isn't even reliable.

Anyway, Plaything is the key to Pentimento. It's one perk for four hex totems and it generally forces each survivor to cleanse their own totem, so one Mikaela with a boon can't waste all your hexes. The nature of Plaything involves a lot of time spent off gens anyway so it compounds the slowdown Pentimento brings.

Five stacks is often a pipe dream, even with another hex in the mix, but Plaything will let you keep one stack up for a while.

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551
    edited December 2021

Gen went into a complete halt as soon as pentimento came into play Lol.

I am conflicted on Plaything. The down side is that you actually have to down the survivor AND THEN wait for him to cleanse a totem. That could mean several generators having progress. Some survivors just doesn't care to find the totem and start pumping generator regardless. So pentimento on M1 killer is high risk high reward and I had more success running Ruin instead. It is pretty strong on Mobility characters though where you can give constant pressure to the survivor plaything is doable

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Personally the only situation I can see where survivors wouldn't boon hexes instead of breaking them would be with Thrill of the Hunt.

At that point, you're running Pentimento, Thrill of the Hunt, and probably another hex like Plaything JUST to get a 30% slow on gen progress. You could basically run any other stalling perk and get more value, and when you do that you have 2 extra perk slots available. The whole build also relies on the fact that you don't lose Thrill early, in which case you may as well have just brough 1 perk to the match.

Most smart survivors that see Plaything at the moment are either going to boon the totems that it makes, break them and then come back in 10 seconds to break the Pentimento totem as they know exactly where it is, or just realise that oblivious isn't the biggest deal and play through it, because chances are the rest of your perks aren't threatening because you're geared up to try to make a bad perk work.

• Shenlong1904
    Shenlong1904 Member Posts: 293

Yes, as a survivor i have been breaking as many totems as i can for this perk. Got a killer to 5 stacks 4 times already, died all of those but well, not everyone appreciates honest work.

• Awkweird
    Awkweird Member Posts: 30

All that needs to be changed is snuffing out a boon breaks the totem. Then Pentimento would be a fair counter. I say fair because the survivors will still know exactly where it is.

• Veinslay

Not sure if serious, but when I play solo survivor, I run totem builds and cleanse every totem on the map to stop boons from going up because I think they're bs and terrible for the game

• Shenlong1904
    Shenlong1904 Member Posts: 293

Yeah I did that when mikaela released and now im doing it so killers can get that pentimento value

• chimera3
    chimera3 Member Posts: 70

So we just throwing games now and bragging about it on forums? Why is it when a healthy feature finally gets implemented people ruin it? This community man…..

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 963

I've been trying it without any other hex perk. The problem about this is that some games it does little, some games it does a lot, and some others it does nothing.

The best maps for it are the ones where totems are harder to see, like The Game and Midwich. Hell, even the survivor who first cleansed the totem might get confused about where it was and take long to find the totem on The Game. By the way, I just got a 4K on that map thanks to this perk.

The problem is, since I'm using no other Hex, there is little incentive for survivors to cleanse totems, so I only got a really good value of it on 3 matches so far. I try to wait until there are at least 3 broken ones to start lighting them back up, but sometimes not even the first appears. If one survivor has a Boon perk, they will hardly ever cleanse. If all the survivors have boons... well, no totem will ever be broken this match.

When there is only one, though, a possible strategy would be to kill Mikaela first, since she is usually the one with the Boon. That should make the others think there's no remaining reason not to cleanse. The problem, of course, is that this might take long... even if you try to tunnel Mikaela, BT and DS might get in your way.

• xEmoGirlxAlexisx
    xEmoGirlxAlexisx Member Posts: 598

Boon = Healthy ?

Yeah a Feature where Survivor can always Instant heals themself , makes some Killers like Twins and some good Killer Perks useless , has Really no counterplay because Survivors always can bring it back and makes Survivor even more Stronger is very Healthy for the Game

Boons are broken and Never should have happend

• dallasmedicbag
    dallasmedicbag Member Posts: 571

guessing you're doing this just to die and stay in low mmr eh? good thing i won't ever have you as a teammate then. believe me, the killer would think of you as a moron than appreciating you ;p

• GhostMaceNotCrusty
    GhostMaceNotCrusty Member Posts: 716

Pentimento + Plaything + thrill of the hunt on any one shot killer. I tend to use this on michael and either I get pentimento value or lots of free downs.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

You say “Boons” but the only problematic Boon so far is Circle of Healing. The Boon system in general is fine, it’s just Circle of Healing needs to be slowed down.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

You need to waste 2 slots for pentimento and it can be destroyed instantly since survivors know where the hex will be. Better off taking corrupt and Deadlock in its place.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I would really like to run it with plaything. Haven't got Pinhead though so I can't..

• chimera3
    chimera3 Member Posts: 70

Huh? The heal isn’t instant. There’s always been healing perks in the game plus there’s more than just the healing boon. PLEASE enlighten me how Shadow step and the new boon are “OP”? And you can IDK go up to the totem and……put it out? And what perks does it make useless? Sloppy? The slow down is still applied. Im gonna need a stronger argument than this.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

I played against a Spirit who ran Undying, with Thrill of the Hunt & Hex: Pentimento and actually managed to get all 5 totems active and blocked. She 4k'd us, but we got the gens done effortlessly and I wouldn't say the perk was the reason she killed us all.

I was stunned to see she got the perk fully active, but it was also very easy for her to light all 5 totems once they were all broken.

I'm pretty sure the meta with that perk is to wait till all the totems are broken

• Veinslay
    edited December 2021

It's not throwing. I'm still doing generators, saving people, trying to stay alive in chase. Survivor is incredibly chill and easy. There's all day to do the objectives. You get a lot of points for totems. Boons are just bs