Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Does anyone think the fact that Plague negates so many perks, builds, etc is poor design?

I'm not saying Plague is OP and I know you can technically still sometimes heal against her, but there are about 14 perks that are either entirely healing centered (Self Care, Solidarity, Bite the Bullet) or healing is a major factor in their use (Aftercare, Blood Pact, Desperate Measures) and she makes all of them nearly useless. That's out of 101 perks total, so more than 1 in 10. Not to mention medkits, arguably the strongest item in the game.

Maybe I'm just salty because I love healing based builds and medkits, but it's so frustrating to set out to play as a healer and come across Plague. The design of her power encourages you to stick to the meta.

Comments

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,476

She negates it in a way, how ever if the team is mass cleansing those healing perks actually come in real handy

• dallasmedicbag
    dallasmedicbag Member Posts: 571

michael jackson didnt teach you nothin? moonwalk baby

and yes, everytime i run a healing build (with overcome), i get a plague. its like im gettin streamsniped or somethin when i aint even streamin 😤

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Yep, Plague’s is one of the most broken (pun intended) designed powers in the game. It’s especially fun with her new infecting gens for over a minute build. No other killer can force you to play the game injured (no point cleansing, you just get infected again repairing gens or do nothing all game). Negating a host of perks and items.

So it’ll be a five minute wait/kill me right away Vommy Mommy until she gets a rework.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

That's the thing Killers once they get a match can't switch out Killers. So even if someone was Stream Snipping you it wouldn't matter because they are locked into their Killer.

• GoshJosh

Maybe BHVR can get better designers in the meantime! 🤷🏼‍♂️

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Healing perks can still help pick up slugs

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063
    edited December 2021

Eh. She counters more things than most killers, but you can bring a stealth build and run into Doctor, a vault speed build and get any ranged/semi-ranged killer... or DS/UB/BT and get a killer that never tunnels or slugs, a hook denial build when the killer mass slugs, etc. Doctor and Calm Spirit, Spirit and Iron Will, Iron Maiden and every locker perk there is. I don't think hard countering is that unusual in this game and I can't imagine how to change this aspect of Plague without completely destroying her.

Plague was pretty rare to find in the wild before CoH became a thing and her current prevalence is a sign that healing capabilities are currently busted.

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,703

Sure she negates healing builds, but thats really not the big of a deal when her base kit also provides you with one of the easiest heals in the game. She scatters the map with objects that let you heal yourself all the way back to healthy in about 8 seconds, and you get to know the exact location of all of them if you're infected even a little bit.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

Well that's just her thing and she was designed to do that she counters heals like nurse counter loops its like legion damming you to an endless ment and heal cycle

• Maliken
    Maliken Member Posts: 166

It's no worse than survivors being able to negate certain killer's powers with their flashlight.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Blight/Spirit/Nurse don't "counter" distance gaining perks because they still have to travel a further distance to get you and most of each survivor's goal is to waste as much of the killer's time as possible so the others can repair/heal/unhook. Also if you can travel more distance faster you're more likely to get to the next pallet or window. Only Nurse counters that, which was already mentioned earlier.

Yes, stealth killers annoy me when I'm running perks that need a TR to activate like Stake Out or Pebble. But that's like two perks and hardly a build lol.

Aren't there plenty of people complaining that anti looping killers force shift + W gameplay?

It's weird to complain about a killer almost completely negating my favorite aspect of playing survivor? Ok then. Isn't 99% of this forum complaining? Lol

I can always stop complaining and run DS/DH/BT or a gen rushing build if that makes you happy 🤷‍♀️

• GoshJosh

Flashlights have limited charges, killer powers are infinite use with cool downs or reloads.

• brokedownpalace
    edited December 2021

Edit: Nvm

Post edited by brokedownpalace on
  • Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

Most still stick to the meta combos, so it's not like it matters. Anyway SWF negates so many survivor, and killer perks as well, not saying It should not be a thing. As I play with my friends to from time to time. But point being so many perks get negated overall by many factors, but that does not mean they should change anything. Anyway run what you want bro, you paid for the game so you can use whatever you want 🌚

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

Play what you want. Complain about what you want.

Just don't be the guy who throws his team's chances out the window and ruins everyone's fun because somebody else wants to play the Killer they bought.

• brokedownpalace

Oh yeah, I definitely don't blame the killer. I like Plague (playing as her anyway) so I'm excited she got some fine tuning. Just ranting. Going forward I'm just not gonna run a healing build

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

"No other killer can force you play the game injured"

Legion?

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

Stealth killers do this same thing with info perks

thats just the nature of dbd.

• CrowVortex
    CrowVortex Member Posts: 961

Kinda like how boon builds screw over Twins. 🤷‍♂️

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798

No, other killers do the same and it has its downsides to her power

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

On the contrary, I think that the level of game changing design we need more of.

• The_BiggCheeze
    The_BiggCheeze Member Posts: 457

This entire game is poor design.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2021

Plague is very well designed.

I'll expand more on that. She's interesting and adds a brand new dynamic to the game while having quite a lot of counterplay. By providing secondary objectives, she changes up gameplay and that makes it more fun both as and against.

• GoshJosh

You’re not forced to, it may just be the best decision to. You quite literally do not have an option to not be injured or infected with Plague, unless you plan on not repairing generators and getting out somehow.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

Imo almost all killers have way to negate perks and others that benefit them. Like survivors can use calm spirit to negate doctors power or clowns. Iron will counter spirit etc. Plague punishes survivors who don't cleanse. So it makes sense that her power is based around cleansing not healing.

• brokedownpalace
    edited December 2021

I'm not gonna respond to the umpteenth comment informing me that [blank] "negates" [blank]. Especially since a lot of them are weak examples and are not an entire game mechanic and don't have 14 and counting perks centered around them.

But some of you made good points and I appreciate it. My healing build days are over.

• mrmain21
    mrmain21 Member Posts: 48

Cant really be upset, COH completely counters hit and run, which is good to have a counter for, so killers need counters to the healing meta which is fair.

However I would still personally like to see buffs to certain killer perks to counter other survivor strategies. Maybe even make brutal strength alot faster, might be easier than balancing maps if they just more counterclaim in another way.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,530

I think this is really cool design. Imagine having the idea of a vomiting killer and actually bringing it into the game :-)

For my part that is great creativity. Also the idea of a pinball killer...

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

My points is if we apply the logic of 'killer power should not outright counter mechani/perks dealing with x' we would need to heavily nerf most of the killer cast.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

No. It's fine for killers to negate specfic survivor strategies. It's only problematic if a killer negates every option a survivor has.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

I don’t have a problem with it. That’s part of her power and that’s what Broken is - taking away your option to heal (at least by normal means). And there are plenty of survivor perks that do the same thing, eg. spine chill against stealth killers.

Btw, it’s not like healing perks have zero opportunity to help against her - you can still pick up slugs faster or heal normally from corrupt purge if she got it from you cleansing and you weren’t reinfected.

Personally I think Plague is one of the most unique and well-designed killers the game has.

• Maliken
    Maliken Member Posts: 166

Yeah, because disarming a Hag trap or Artist crows by flashing them for a nanosecond consumes so much charge. Also cooldowns and reloads cost time, which is a very finite resource for killers.

• PleassBuiltInNoed
    PleassBuiltInNoed Member Posts: 618

It's kinda the same like iron will completely countering spirit for example.

Many perks in this game just completely counter some other perks/powers and vice versa.

That is why survivor meta builds and killer meta builds are still the same. You use perks that have the least chance to be useless just because someone decided to use a certain build or a killer.

• SomberNokk
    SomberNokk Member Posts: 732

A large chunk of her power is almost entirely based on how the survivors play. Without cleansing shes an M1 with an extra step. I see her as a push and pull from both sides which is fine imo.

• PleassBuiltInNoed
    PleassBuiltInNoed Member Posts: 618

Trial lasts for limited time as well. Think about how much killers time can one flashlight waste, especially if you are Hag or now even the Artist

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697
  • danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,096

It's annoying but it's not OP. If she became like A or S tier and everyone was using her and enough people were complaining about her, I could see her being nerfed though, whether she deserved it or not.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

That does actually bring up a good point. How many Plagues do you actually see? I see more Plagues than Twins and that's about it

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,233

This dude went against a plague using thanataphobia & prayer tablet I bet