The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

If chases are the only fun, skillful thing, why is tunnelling unfun?

Been trying to make sense of this contradictory viewpoint for a while now. The only fun part of the game for survivors is interaction with the killers and being chased, and anti-loop powers or mobility powers that make it hard to play around loops are therefore bad... but a short game where you're only being chased and then you get sacrificed is also unfun?

If chases are the only fun part of the game, how is a short game where you're tunnelled not fun? How can people then complain it doesn't let them play the game?

Comments

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 954

In most scenarios, the tunneling doesn't allow for a survivor to be prepared, and they just get 1-hit and back on the hook. Hardly a chase.

That's one reason why the boost from BT or DS are used, because it allows the chase to actually continue assuming someone is being tunneled.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

So, in the very narrow sense of being immediately tunnelled off of unhook it's sort of an argument--it's definitely a different argument if chases are only fun when they have the potential to be long, winnable ones.

Doesn't explain it when it gets extended to the much broader "focusing on hooking this one person" sense of tunnelling.

• Feyd
    Feyd Member Posts: 428

Or a game where they have any control at all. Since what you're proposing is a game where death is certain and if you can guarantee a down within a minute every time, there will never be 5 gens complete unless the killer screws around.

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815

Because survivors want to win without the skills to earn it.

A little DBD trivia: a survivor just off hook is no more vulnerable than any other wounded survivor. They're not even necessarily closer to death hook, the rescuer might be closer. They really just want killers to go after the fully-healed because that's a terrible strategy.

• Feyd

Or because the person you just reamed would like to play too instead of bending over for you again.

Empathy. The reason it's a survivor perk is because killer players lack it. That's why they play the side that has no friends.

• BubbaDredge

Hey, did you know that survivors just off the hook are no more vulnerable than any other wounded survivor?

• Feyd

Being animation locked during the unhook so you can instantly hit them as it ends certainly makes them significantly more vulnerable. There's a reason BT and DS are meta. Cause you jerks won't stop camping and tunneling people off of the hook. Killers that aren't trash get to play against people with less perks, since those are useless.

• eleventbh
    eleventbh Member Posts: 374

I agree with the point you're making, but not for this situation. I'm going to agree with the replies above you because the question of discussion is implying survivors get a chance when they are farmed, or face camped. Tunneling in my experience happens immediately off hook when the rescuer doesn't have BT. That's not even a chase. The killer isn't outplaying anyone here, it's not about who has control, the rescuer is just screwing the tunneled person over and getting hit immediately off hook isn't fun gameplay for the killer or survivor.

• BubbaDredge

OOh, you're showing your empathy by insulting thousands of strangers. Show me more examples of what a good person you are.

Not my ######### job to help you play, I'm on the other team. This is a game YOU AGREED TO PLAY the person running from a killer. If you're looking for empathy, play a game with no killers.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,287

Its only a guaranteed down within a minute if you and your team play poorly, or if it's against a top tier Nurse. Otherwise, its not a guarantee down and survivors have plenty of tools to help them get a rescue and get into a good chase. It just becomes more difficult, which most players here, killers and survivors, seem to be averse to.

• BabuDweet
    BabuDweet Member Posts: 556

If you genuinely dont understand it from common sense then you're just that much of a killer main with a clouded viewpoint on tunnelling.

Don't call me a survivor main with a bias cause I play so much killer too, I just don't play like a dick(tunnelling in circumstances is understandable but not overall)

Then again you're the person who argued with me about 'what is fair' so I'm not shocked you don't get the tunnelling point.

• PBsamichShoe
    PBsamichShoe Member Posts: 314

IDK you should play some KYF and have your buddy tunnel you for like 10 matches in a row. Come and report back to us on your thoughts as to why its not fun.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,287

Getting downed and hooked in a dead zone or not having BT is a player problem not a tunneling problem. And yes, the killer is outplaying the survivors by taking advantage of their misplays and poor choices. It may be easy to do a lot of the times, but it is still out playing them.

There are lots of things that isn't fun for both sides. If the devs addressed everything that everyone complained about, the game wouldn't be Dbd anymore, and it would probably get stale and die.

Fact of the matter is, survivors hate tunneling because the chase isn't on their terms, it is as simple as that.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266
    edited December 2021

A chase is fun for survivor when they have a fair chance in chase. Tunneling is just straight up downing the freshly unhook, there is no chase in it.

• eleventbh
    eleventbh Member Posts: 374

I guess I don't define it as a chase to me. I don't run dead hard or sprint burst so if I happen to get tunneled it's usually right off of hook, before I can press a button. You're right about killers outplaying though, I didn't see it that way until you pointed it out.

• RainehDaze

I don't enjoy survivor under any circumstances, I don't think I'd draw any useful conclusions on what other people do or do not enjoy and why. I certainly don't get the people that think being chased is fun to start with.

• RainehDaze

I've also seen people use tunnelling in the broader sense of focusing down one person first, even without outright tunnelling off hook, and treat it the same. Which is pretty much the same as any other chase (ostensibly), whether or not they start from an injured state.

• BubbaDredge

That's called "Moving the goalposts". Tunneling doesn't mean camping and hitting the unhooked during animation, it means going after the unhooked. In order to continue arguing you had to change the meaning of tunneling.

Also, if using an animation lock is wrong, how come survivors do it constantly? I guess you never use your flashlight during an animation, because of all your empathy? Do you cry yourself to sleep at night thinking about all the points you took away from killers?

Try acting like a grownup, it's a game. If you don't like it, nobody's paying you to play.

• PBsamichShoe

One of the main factors that contributes to perceived player toxicity in dbd is role identification. That means playing mainly one side as opposed to the other. If you want to understand one side then you need to play the other side. Simple.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

It's just salt cause survivors don't get to full reset. I expect the killer to take advantage of the opportunity, it makes more sense than ignoring for a fresh chase.

• PBsamichShoe

Chases are fun in little bursts. The sound that plays when you vault something is really satisfying. It makes you feel like a parkour master lol

• RainehDaze

To understand the people who say that being in chases are fun, I'd need to be someone that thinks being in chases is fun. Seeing as I've never played any game, computer or real life, where I actually enjoyed the act of being chased by someone else, I'm going to have to ask other people's opinions on that part. 😅

• PBsamichShoe

I find that hard to believe. This whole thread smells like bait.

• themoobs1984
    themoobs1984 Member Posts: 619

It's not. That's just an excuse people use. Nothing fun about chases, especially when they get caught. What they mean to say is chases are fun when they never get caught and get to teabag and flashlight at the gates.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 820

It is unfun to the person being tunnelled because although the most fun part of the game is the chases, there does still need to be some balance between up and down time in order to enjoy the game overall. At least, for most people, anyway.

It is unfun for the rest of the survivors because they are just sat holding M1, bored out of their minds, wishing the game didn't have to be this way.

It is unfun for the killer because killers who tunnel are dead inside and don't enjoy anything anyway.

• themoobs1984
    themoobs1984 Member Posts: 619

I enjoy playing survivor. I really do but I have only gotten to play killer lately due to work times. By the time I get off work the survivor ques are so long and the killer ques are near instant.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Because there isn't really an opportunity where you (the person being tunneled) can gain a victory from it.

DBD is now in a state where if a Killer wants you dead, there isn't anything you can do about it. The rest of your team can escape, but you will die.

The fun aspect of the chase is the opportunity to outplay and the opportunity for victory.

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513

I think the issue is more about being tunneled off the hook and not getting to play after you've been downed once.

This is my opinion:

Camping - fine in small doses as long as they aren't BMing for no reason.

Tunnelling: fine, as long as I still get to play and I don't get farmed by my teammates. Not having even hook distribution is fine.

Both: I guess I don't get to play this round... :/

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245

Conversely; since flashlights are the only item that survivors bring that require any skill - why do a lot of killers get tilted by them? Blinding the killer can be fun and helpful, but if you read these forums - a lot of killers think they are toxic and should be nerfed/changed. I mean there are "Blind the killer" challenges - I have yet to see a "Down the same survivor immediately off the hook" challenge though.

• RainehDaze

Because the part that annoys most people is when the flashlights aren't used for blinding?

And yes, that should be changed, unless you want to declare that people with photosensitivity shouldn't get to play the game because... unnecessary flashlight clicking?

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

The thing with that is flashlights are a popular item for bully squads so I think there's left over feeling from that. On top of that the macro serves no really purpose other then to anyone the killer. Imo they are fine in most cases and should be what other item strive to be.