Why do all obstacle hitboxes suck?

Options

There's a million different examples of stuff across all maps that have ridiculous hitboxes. These usually allow the survivors to get around them with ease, but not the killer. The killer either gets stuck or their attack gets auto-aimed to the ridiculous hitbox. Want some examples?

The harvesters on the farm maps. What has become of them? It used to be easy for killer to jump onto the hay bale without having to attack. Now they're forced to attack or else they get suctioned into the hole. There's also random metal on the edge near that window so you can't use it as a short cut to catch up to the survivors.

The junk pile loops on Autohaven. There's barrels, sometimes a car, sometimes a trucks, sometimes other junk, but what they all have in common is unpredictable hitboxes. You think it would be easy to just go around them or slide along them, but it's not. Survivors can go smoothly along the crevices and not get stuck, but the killer does the same and gets stuck.

Trees. Oh my god, the trees. They can sometimes have super tiny hitboxes that you can just swing around, and sometimes their hitbox is like twice the size of the tree itself. The big one in the middle of Shelter Woods is the biggest offender for me. Now the twigs stacks from the new map join in.

Ormand is notorious for having awful hitboxes on obstacles. Blight has no collision on those snow piles, and yet I'm pretty sure those same snow piles will auto-aim rob a hit from you. Then there's the rock loops on this map and other maps that let you go around smoothly once, but you get stuck the second time around and that causes you to lose distance. That snow vehicle and raised shack have some serious garbage hitboxes too.

Dead Dawg is so bad for this. The tipped cart right outside the saloon is so infuriating to go around tightly. That barrel near the window upstairs has screwed me over so many times. There's a slight incline on the sides of killer shack and I have no clue why. All they do is make you get stuck when trying to run the corners tight. The big rock loops and the small ones near the gallows are also unpredictable with their hitboxes.

Lockers have ridiculous hitboxes too, probably because a lot of them stick out from the loops they're attached to since the remasters. The ones on the jungle gyms and killer shacks on Yamaoka and farm maps are insane. They just block you whereas the survivors slide past.

Think about how crucial it is for these obstacles to have accurate hitboxes for killer powers like Huntress's, Demogorgon's, Deathslinger's, Blight's, Twins, etc. Because these obstacles have insanely broken hitboxes, you never know if using your power or even just regular hits are gonna work. You have to hope that the survivors are lagging or cutting loops inefficiently or else you're never gonna hit them. Even the smallest of loops become completely safe because of these ridiculous hitboxes.

Comments

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    Options

Best part about trees is that they can spawn as part of a tile with a gap between them and, say, the rest of the tile that is big enough for a Survivor but not a Killer. Result: Bloodlust 3 is the only option.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,660
    Options

They lead to fat shaming and awkward loop pathing. It's the same with big rocks spawning next to shack on maps like Yamaoka, which I saw a few updates ago.

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838
    Options

Because everything is either a box or a pill-shape.

And when it comes to hitboxes; the devs erred on the side of Survivors and made every object's hitbox larger than the object so there's 0 chances for hatches/shots/etc to go THROUGH said items. Basically, they would give a grain of sand the hitbox of a Buick to ensure Survivors could hide without feeling cheated.

• Moplington
    Moplington Applicant Posts: 30
    Options

Yeah the collisions can be absolute hell I always collide with random objects when playing Billy even though I am nowhere near anything.