Camping: when is it ok?

Options

Well, I just had a surprisingly discouraging match today, and it was mostly from the extraordinarily hostile attacks of two of the players after the match.

So, I'm mostly a survivor, not that great a killer, so I'm starting out here. Rank 18, not that awesome, on the PC, and rank 15 on the PS4. Anyway, I'm trying to get better with the huntress' hatchet, and I'm slowly improving; its a lot easier with mouse and keyboard than controller....

Anyway, as I said, not so terribly hot, so when the gates get powered up, if I get a survivor on the hook I tend to soft camp / patrol it. Usually the survivors will try to come in and save them rather than exit, and I use that as an opportunity to get more, along with NOED.

hasnt always worked, but sometimes it has. I figure it only makes sense: if I'm playing survivor and a killer is camping someone, I just go do other things, work on gens, open gates, whatever. Punish the killer for camping by doing other jobs.

Anyway, once or twice I've been attacked for camping, and I point out MOST of the time I patrol; go kick a gen, come back, go check another gen, come back. Sometimes I catch them rescuing the survivor, sometimes they get away.

And what, I'm supposed to just LET them save the survivor? I don't get the attitude. But I've only been attacked a few times, and mostly softly, such as "great camping dude," to which I point out I patrolled / soft camped.... unless the gates were powered up.

This time, however, three of the players came at me. One was gentle about it and said "sucked you camped my friend, but otherwise GG." The one who I originally "camped" exited. I got a second one, however, and THAT one and the fourth, a twitch streamer too, came at me with all guns blazing, calling me all kinds of vile names and constantly cussing at me, belittling me, etc.

Frankly, I was more than willing to discuss the game, but I think they were SWF, or maybe two groups of SWF; they were very often together all four of them working on a single gen, or three of them where possible, etc. I could almost never find them, because they were all in one spot where I was checking others. They denied it, but the aforementioned person above said it sucked I camped her friend, and the other two, one was talking about the twitch streamer size of followers.

And in between the base insults, there were comments of "code of honor" and such. Like, its ok they SWF, they coordinate, they even rushed to rescue a hooked person earlier and complained about my camping her too, when they rushed in to save her!

Sigh... I dont know, am I wrong? When I played solo survivor, I used to get mad for getting camped, esp face camped or tunneled, and I watch twitch streamers like hybridpanda and tydetime run off right away after hooking someone. I generally do that early game, but keep an eye out for rescue teams to head back.

So, I'm a little frustrated at having been attacked in such a vile manner, and I dont know, I suppose I'd've expected better behavior from a twitch streamer, should have known better I guess.

But I guess this is a very long winded way of asking, just when IS it appropriate to camp, and when isn't it? They seemed to act that even with the gates powered and even with them rushing in to save someone, I shouldn't have been doing that. Was I in the wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Morfedel
    Morfedel Member Posts: 230
    Options

@Khroalthemadbomber said:
    0_o so you're leaving the survivor on the hook to go on a decent distance patrol, return after a little bit to see if anyone's stopped by, and repeating the process until either the hooked survivor is dead, rescued, or you find someone else?

That's not camping, that's the survivors being morons for not rescuing when you are obviously nowhere around...

My jaw has dropped on more than one occasion where I hook someone like 2-3 minutes into a match and they almost die on hook while I'm on the other side of the map...

I've said it on multiple occasions: while tunneling and camping killers can be an issue, the thing that's most likely to keep you from pipping up in rank are your allies.

The last two hooks were not really large patrols that time. but in my defense, the first time they were coming in hot, as in trying to rescue them with me nearby, seeing them. Its kinda hard to explain, but basically, I did do some soft camping the first time. I normally don't, but I had noticed the previous times I found them they were often together on a generator, and took off in different directions, yet would end up on another generator all of them at once.

I suspected they were SWF, so I stuck nearby to see if they call came in to rescue... and they did. All of them. They managed to get away despite that, although I got two hooks before everyone escaped. Next time around, was at the end of the game. I never really found them again until right before they got the last generator powered.

I hooked one, soft camped her because, well, generators were powered and her hook was very close to one of the exits. All it would take was a rescue and a sprint to the door and I'd lose them both. So I DID soft camp them, but I always thought at the end of the match like that is a different story than at the beginning.

Regardless they rescued her, I caught up to and rehooked her, chased the other three and managed to down one right before he got to the exit transition point, and took him to a hook.

hook placement was really bad for me this time around. One location had like one hook in the entire area.

Anyway, so I camped the first because of how they were playing. I'd seen it before and I suspected they were coordinated in some fashion, because no matter where I went, IF I found them most of the time they were in a group. I didn't find them often.

And that was just the first time. As I said, I never really found them again until the very end, when I rehooked and got two sacrifices.

I'm beginning to think camping is more legitimate than I used to think, because if the survivors are stupid enough to run in and save someone being camped, they deserve what they get.

I didn't used to think like that, until I have now had around 6 games where survivors swarmed me when I was trying to hook someone. like the ENTIRE group, I'd spend the entire match trying to defend a single hook as they swarmed me. Sometimes the tactic succeeded and they;'d get away after I got a couple hooks, other times I managed to down the entire team.

It always made me scratch my head wondering what the hell they were doing, maybe point farming? But it turned me sour very quickly and made me start to appreciate camping after all.

As a survivor, I've been the sole survivor of a match where the rest of the team would rush in to save someone from a camper, and I'd exit via the hatch because I was the only one who didnt swarm the hook.

So... yeah, there are a few times I've done hard camping. I've NEVER face camped. But I've done hard camping if I thought the rest of the team was going to swarm the hook, but usually I'd either patrol or just run check the other gens flat out. This match was a little different due to the circumstances, but it really was irritating. I came close to a 3k, got a 2k, and was going to GG them and discuss how terrible the hook placement was when two of them TORE into me with amazingly foul language and insults.

So... I dunno. I wondered if it was me or them. Hence the reason for this thread.

• Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073
    Options
    It honestly depends on the circumstances. Right up in the hooked person's face for no real reason holds no purpose beyond doing so to flashlight clicking d-striking pricks. At that point it's just cathartic lol.

But if you hook someone and see scratch marks nearby, see no one on BBQ, spot a foot or a hand dart around a corner, there's an open gate RIGHT THERE, or someone is LITERALLY attempting to loop you near the hooked person, it's not camping it's defending.

All those people that bitched about BBQ being overpowered and in need of more defense to fight it are now having to deal with the fact that YES the killer can no longer see the other three of you inside that locker or with Distortion, but now the killer has no reason to leave since the three of you might be right there for the instant save. In doing so light camping has now been encouraged.
  • yes
    yes Member Posts: 361
    Options

I absolutely HATE it whenever a survivor is about to be killed on the hook but they're saved at the last moment. It makes me frustrated. I HATE last-second saves.

• Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073
    Options
    yes said:

I absolutely HATE it whenever a survivor is about to be killed on the hook but they're saved at the last moment. It makes me frustrated. I HATE last-second saves.

I don't mind them if it's the first person hooked and their teammates have literally done nothing the entire time. It's like come on! Get him for crying out loud!
  • BloodyNights
    BloodyNights Member Posts: 526
    Options

I only camp if I honestly think they deserve to be camped. Not for just playing well, but usually if they are just purposefully trying to be toxic. Like this Dwight who body blocked a teammate to eat a chainsaw, and saved other survivors without even letting me get a chance to walk away ten feet.

Personally it depends on how comfortable you are and how much you want to win. It's pretty frustrating for survivors to die, or even reach tier 2 on their first hooking. And also extremely frustrating being taken off the hook only to immediately be hunted down right afterwards. It is the most effective way to win as killer. Giving just enough wiggle room for them to be saved, but also not giving them enough space to get away.

Personally unless I'm just having a really bad game I tend to just completely leave the person on the hook all together, and go check on other gens for them to get saved, and come back afterwards hoping to catch the person who saved them. Especially during double blood points when everyone is trying to farm. But keep in mind that's just me being nice. Keyword nice. If you don't want to be nice to them that's perfectly fine. You are the killer and are trying to win.

And if the gates are powered you deff don't need to be kind to them filthy degenerate survivors who finished them gens. Face camp them and let them die, that's what they get! lol and if they get mad woop te doo. You did what you had to, to secure that kill.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,225
    Options

Just to be the obligatory toxic killer main in this thread:
    Camp like you want, survivors are doing the same. Or have you ever heard of survivors letting go of generators to find another one below 50%?

Survivors shouldn't be expecting to be saved, the moment they're downed/ hooked they were supposedly already as good as dead. It's arguably funny or sad to see how the community's mentality has changed the design choices of this game.

• yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832
    Options

it's ok to camp when you wanna camp who gives a crap about what survivors want

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134
    Options

Camping is always ok.

• GraviteaUK
    GraviteaUK Member Posts: 464
    Options

When is it ok to camp?

Whenever the killer feels like it.

• Luc_ius
    Luc_ius Member Posts: 155
    Options

I unhooked many survivors even with a camping killer, so there is always a chance.
    Once I received some angry message from a dead survivor that I put Hag traps around him. Sure, I will put them far away next time so he can feel comfortable, doesn't matter it's what Hag is about :D.

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142
    Options

I as a killer am not responsible for the fun of the survivors. I will use any tactic that is within the rules of the game to achieve my goal of killing, whether that be tunneling, camping, moris, and any perk I feel will assist me.

This is a PvP game. Your goal is to sacrifice the survivors. Of course some will get their feelings hurt when you achieve your goal, because that means they did not achieve theirs.

That said, you did not camp, you patrolled. Patrolling is a good tactic when the gates are powered. Simple as that. Let them whine over it.

• XxAtomicAlfiexX
    XxAtomicAlfiexX Member Posts: 395
    Options

if i have less then 2 kills and the last gen is done i camp.

• CzarZero
    CzarZero Member Posts: 6
    Options

No matter what you do, you're going to get salt from survivors who are just upset they didn't "win".

So just play how you see fit, even if the tactics you use are considered unsportsmanlike in Chapter 3, Section 6, Paragraph 4 of the "Dead By Daylight Community Rulebook"

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161
    Options
    Camping isn't against the rules, but it isn't fun for either and it's quite boring. If you're having troubles learning parts of the game such as tracking, I would suggest asking a nice friend for help so that you can practice. Half of the people you see in those ranks are smurfs and the other half are the ones I play with when I haven't played for a while lol. I swear, those ranks are a giant mixed bag. 

I'll say Huntress doesn't really need NOED when you get better at her. She's one of the best for a reason. You'll get past those ranks, too. As for the question at hand, camping is expected (imo) when they're in basement, the gates are open, or killer downs first after 3 gens pop. It's respectful when they don't, but I expect it. I think it's also understandable when a person is toxic or if the killer is being swarmed. If you see all three, the only reason to leave is to activate MYC or gain a stack on devour.

I get annoyed when they camp with no gens and with a d/c at start, though good survivors are going to capitalize on you camping. It's more fun to go searching and initiate a chase to catch your next imo. I often get more annoyed with my team than the killer. 
  • fluffybunny
    Options

Just to be the obligatory toxic killer main in this thread:
    Camp like you want, survivors are doing the same. Or have you ever heard of survivors letting go of generators to find another one below 50%?

Survivors shouldn't be expecting to be saved, the moment they're downed/ hooked they were supposedly already as good as dead. It's arguably funny or sad to see how the community's mentality has changed the design choices of this game.

It's actually more like looping than doing gens and I know quite a few who won't loop cause they know killers don't like it. 
  • fluffybunny
    Options

I only camp if I honestly think they deserve to be camped. Not for just playing well, but usually if they are just purposefully trying to be toxic. Like this Dwight who body blocked a teammate to eat a chainsaw, and saved other survivors without even letting me get a chance to walk away ten feet.

Personally it depends on how comfortable you are and how much you want to win. It's pretty frustrating for survivors to die, or even reach tier 2 on their first hooking. And also extremely frustrating being taken off the hook only to immediately be hunted down right afterwards. It is the most effective way to win as killer. Giving just enough wiggle room for them to be saved, but also not giving them enough space to get away.

Personally unless I'm just having a really bad game I tend to just completely leave the person on the hook all together, and go check on other gens for them to get saved, and come back afterwards hoping to catch the person who saved them. Especially during double blood points when everyone is trying to farm. But keep in mind that's just me being nice. Keyword nice. If you don't want to be nice to them that's perfectly fine. You are the killer and are trying to win.

And if the gates are powered you deff don't need to be kind to them filthy degenerate survivors who finished them gens. Face camp them and let them die, that's what they get! lol and if they get mad woop te doo. You did what you had to, to secure that kill.

Same, I want everyone to get the chance to get points. I'm a nice killer. -3- I'll also chase after the farmer if someone farms someone. As survivor, if I see a killer camping someone and they didn't play like that all game, I'll often assume the survivor did something and ask in the end chat. 
  • Spicybarbecue
    Spicybarbecue Member Posts: 183
    Options

camping is fine when survivors are gen rushing..only counter play you have.

face camping is only ever ok against swf, who in fairness should expect to be face camped

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780
    Options

In my opinion, I think camping is okay if the exit gates are powered.
    I don't do it myself unless I have a daily, but I really don't mind getting camped in the end. It is kinda fair game at that point.
    I do advice against it fully committing to camping all the time. There have been times where a killer could have gotten me downed easily, but decided to go back to camping, losing out on another down.

• Morfedel
    Options

@fluffybunny said:
    Camping isn't against the rules, but it isn't fun for either and it's quite boring. If you're having troubles learning parts of the game such as tracking, I would suggest asking a nice friend for help so that you can practice. Half of the people you see in those ranks are smurfs and the other half are the ones I play with when I haven't played for a while lol. I swear, those ranks are a giant mixed bag. 

I'll say Huntress doesn't really need NOED when you get better at her. She's one of the best for a reason. You'll get past those ranks, too. As for the question at hand, camping is expected (imo) when they're in basement, the gates are open, or killer downs first after 3 gens pop. It's respectful when they don't, but I expect it. I think it's also understandable when a person is toxic or if the killer is being swarmed. If you see all three, the only reason to leave is to activate MYC or gain a stack on devour.

I get annoyed when they camp with no gens and with a d/c at start, though good survivors are going to capitalize on you camping. It's more fun to go searching and initiate a chase to catch your next imo. I often get more annoyed with my team than the killer. 

You reflected my thoughts exactly. I suck at huntress though, I'm terrible with the hatchets. I'm slowly getting better though.... I do a lot better with trapper, wraith, and, sadly, even clown which I just played for the first time today! I really like huntress though, so hoping I will start to master those hatchet throws before too much longer.

• Theluckyboi
    Theluckyboi Member Posts: 1,113
    Options

I only camp survivors when they are complete morons, teabaggers, toxic flashlights, decisives, sabos.

it is not a common practice from me, i hate standing next to a survivor doing nothing and waiting for someone to come, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

• fluffybunny
    Options
    Morfedel said:

@fluffybunny said:

You reflected my thoughts exactly. I suck at huntress though, I'm terrible with the hatchets. I'm slowly getting better though.... I do a lot better with trapper, wraith, and, sadly, even clown which I just played for the first time today! I really like huntress though, so hoping I will start to master those hatchet throws before too much longer.

You'll get there. Just continue to do your best.  C: Huntress hatchets can be quite hard to get down, but practice make perfect. I'd offer to help you practice, but i'm without computer and have no idea if we'd be close enough that it wouldn't lag too much. 
  • fluffybunny
    Options

I only camp survivors when they are complete morons, teabaggers, toxic flashlights, decisives, sabos.

it is not a common practice from me, i hate standing next to a survivor doing nothing and waiting for someone to come, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

I sabo for fun sometimes. It's always funny when the killer gets mad at you for something that fails most of the time. I also said hello to a pig with teabags before, though it was more of the kind you give fellow survivors. She's small and I forgot.
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134
    Options

Criteria for camping:
    -if exit gates are open
    -if 1 gen remains
    -if 2 gens remain
    -if 3 gens remain
    -if 4 gens remain
    -if more than 1 survivor remains
    -if at least 1 or more of the above is true

• Mrrgle_the_Mediocre
    Mrrgle_the_Mediocre Member Posts: 346
    Options

I'll turn on my C A M P I N G M O D E when the last generator is powered and I hook someone/someone is on the hook. People become extra altruistic for some reason when exit gates are powered and it's easier to save and just make a mad dash away. So it's really only effective at that point, I'd say.

• TwistedRusty
    TwistedRusty Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Its okay when you didn't get to hook one survivor or kill at least one survivor by the time 3 generators were done. That or it is okay when all generators are done and you got someone.
  • RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    Options
    I camp only when I feel like it. I don't mind what the survivors have to say about it, they are prey! 
  • Komotez
    Komotez Member Posts: 14
    Options

Do literally anything you want, as long as you aren't hacking or exploiting (like body blocking survivors in the basement forever). You are the killer, it's your job to kill and you can do so in any way you see fit.

Sure some methods 'ruin the fun' for others, but you shouldn't feel pressured into abiding by any rules other than the rules set by the devs in the game itself.

Don't feel sorry for survivors, they get plenty of second chances (3 hooks to kill, unbreakable, no mither, self care, deliverance, decisive strike, insta-heal medkits, adrenaline, flashlight saves, pallet saves, sabo squadding, hatch standoffs, body blocking etc)

So in short, camping is ok whenever you say it's ok. There'll be plenty of people who'll try to guilt trip you into playing the way they want you to play, but just ignore them and ask yourself : "Did I buy this game to please other people? Or to have fun?"

• Justicar
    Justicar Member Posts: 319
    Options

I generally don't camp unless the exit gates are powered. My goal is for everyone to get as many points as possible and have as much fun as possible.

That being said, camping is okay anytime a killer wants to do it. Survivors hate it (and I get it, being camped sucks, especially if you die on the first or second hook), but sacrificing you to Spider-chan the Entity is the killer's primary goal.

• Crizpen
    Crizpen Member Posts: 129
    Options

@Morfedel said:
    But I guess this is a very long winded way of asking, just when IS it appropriate to camp, and when isn't it? They seemed to act that even with the gates powered and even with them rushing in to save someone, I shouldn't have been doing that. Was I in the wrong?

Thanks in advance.

It's okay whenever it's to your tactical advantage.

For example, if you have a three gen trifecta, and hook a survivor in the center of it. It's absolutely okay for you to proxy camp them while you maintain map control.

If the doors are powered and you down and hook a survivor, it's usually to your advantage to camp the area than it would be to run to the opposite side of the map. That's just common sense.

If it's to your tactical advantage, you should do it. It isn't your job to make sure the survivors survive. In fact, your job is the opposite of that. It isn't your job to make sure every survivor has a good time. Each match is a competition, and if they can't or don't have fun in that competition, it's their problem, not yours. You are a killer, not a happy-fun-time-party-thrower.

It isn't okay to camp a survivor when it is to your own disadvantage. For example, face camping the first survivor you catch, early in the match. You're only hurting yourself if you face camp in that situation, and that's just stupid.

As for when it's okay according to the rules: camping isn't against the rules. Neither is tunneling. Survivors created the rule that killers should allow them to make safe hook rescues, but that's like playing Battleship and your opponent telling you that you can't attack the A column. Derp.

You will be accused of camping and tunneling, if you do or not. It's just what poor sports do when they lose. So, "gg" it and keep going.

• The_Trapper
    The_Trapper Member Posts: 186
    Options

Camping is always okay, it's annoying but it has serious disadvantages. If the other survivors know you're camping; they can repair gens before you die on the hook. That's 3 gens done at once, with only 2 left and 3 survivors still playing.

Survivors have invented their own rulebook which killers should obey or face verbal abuse, it's laughable.

Did a survivor just unhook another survivor right in front of you? The rulebook states you MUST go for the survivor who performed the save, not the injured one.

Do you see the saved survivor running away? You better not go after him! You, the killer, MUST go looking for somebody else.

Just hooked someone? Sprint to the other side of the map!

Have you acquired a mori? If you use it, you suck!

If camping really was "unfair", insidious would not be a perk.

Survivors cry about camping but it's just as annoying as gen rush, survivors can do more about camping than killers can about gen rush.

If all the generators are done and you haven't killed anyone, apparently we are entitled to camp. Yeah, to hell with that. You do what you wanna do as the killer.

At the end of the day, it's their fault for getting hooked.

Your job as killer is to kill, there's no guide to what you should do. Do it well enough and you will still earn your pip.

It is a lot like tunnelling, if a survivor sees a generator on 90% and 0%, which one does he go to repair?

When I play killer, i'm not trying to make it fun for survivors, i'm trying to make it fun for me and I don't need to camp or use NOED to do that.

• LegitAdventurer
    LegitAdventurer Member Posts: 505
    Options
    All the time. Camping is a killer strategy. Survivors need to get over it lol
  • LegitAdventurer
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The equivalent to this is "when is doing gens okay?" Or "when is dropping a pallet okay?" Sounds silly, right? Lol
  • Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

camping is okay whenever you want.

dont let these "play fair rules" get to you. they are all made up by the survivors and you wont get punished for not following them.
    seriously, especially camping has been nerfed SO MANY TIMES NOW, it does not even pay off, as long as the survivors dont sit around the hook like idiots and be overaltruistic. and the reason why i marked that is, because its in the survivors hands, weather camping pays off or not, however they all love to act like they would stand o chance against that evil bubba protecting his new jake face.

just camp them and see how it turns out for you.
    is it fun? - no.
    is it effective? - mostly yes.
    is it forbidden / an exploid of the game mechanics? - no. if it were, then looping would also be, due to the fact that pallets and windows are supposed to break LoS with the killer and give you time to hide and not run around them until the exits are opened.

• Mullato
    Mullato Member Posts: 104
    Options
    I don't get why LF gets so much hate. 

Whenever I see wraith I know I should of brought my smores. Because he is literally finna pitch a tent in my face.
  • LegitAdventurer
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Per example: i played a match the other day SWF with me and one of my friends, we had two randoms. The killer had an ebony mori, so in theory could kill everyone after a single hook. He played Myers and was camping, really hard. Does this work? It can. But honestly camping is a huge waste of time. Even monitoring the hook is a waste of time imo.

During this one hook, we ended up getting almost all of the gens done and saving him just before he died on hook. Since he had a mori and was camping there was no reason to go save the guy till very last minute. The killer ended that match with only 2 hooks and 1 mori. We all escaped because he legit camped the whole game. Never checked gens, never left to check the doors. It was a very easy game for survivors. I felt bad that the guy basically got farmed and Mori'd but nothing you can do in a situation like that, even with borrowed time.

Especially now that they nerfed it for whatever reason.
  • Morfedel
    Options

@LegitAdventurer said:
    Per example: i played a match the other day SWF with me and one of my friends, we had two randoms. The killer had an ebony mori, so in theory could kill everyone after a single hook. He played Myers and was camping, really hard. Does this work? It can. But honestly camping is a huge waste of time. Even monitoring the hook is a waste of time imo.

During this one hook, we ended up getting almost all of the gens done and saving him just before he died on hook. Since he had a mori and was camping there was no reason to go save the guy till very last minute. The killer ended that match with only 2 hooks and 1 mori. We all escaped because he legit camped the whole game. Never checked gens, never left to check the doors. It was a very easy game for survivors. I felt bad that the guy basically got farmed and Mori'd but nothing you can do in a situation like that, even with borrowed time.

The problem is, sometimes camping works. Sometimes the survivors come swarming and you can start dropping them like flies.

And when playing against a full SWF group that know what they are doing, and using voice, the moment you leave they know it and can tell their friends to come save them, or whatever. Against SWF its a catch 22 for the killer.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Camping is ok when you decide you want to do it. All players are free to play and use whatever tactic they want as long as it's given the ok by the devs :)
  • grtf47
    grtf47 Member Posts: 371
    Options
    In my opinion, it is okay to “camp” whenever you want. I do whatever I want and I won’t let a group of swf tell em what to do. Don’t let people make you do things by cursing you out or pressuring you. Have fun because life is too short to worry about if camping in a video game is okay. 
  • Demoth
    Demoth Member Posts: 49
    Options

I don't camp because I find it boring, and having played enough survivor, I know how frustrating it is to die because a killer is ######### at chases and just wants one kill before they lose.

That said, if other survivors are buzzing around the hook... yeah, I'm not going to leave. If gens aren't being done and I have the option to remove a survivor from the game, I'll take it. I'll chase, but if I'm clearly being baited away with a killer who isn't good at chases, I'll double back to down the person doing the rescue.

I try my best not to re-down survivors who are clearly being sandbagged, unless they were being an ######### during the match (teabagging or flashlight macro spamming).

• LegitAdventurer
    Options
    Morfedel said:

@LegitAdventurer said:

The problem is, sometimes camping works. Sometimes the survivors come swarming and you can start dropping them like flies.

And when playing against a full SWF group that know what they are doing, and using voice, the moment you leave they know it and can tell their friends to come save them, or whatever. Against SWF its a catch 22 for the killer.

This game I referenced was not really an SWF match. It was just me and one other buddy with two randoms. So there was no "hes camping" communication happening. We all just all let him hang as long as we could, knowing he had a Mori, and quickly learning the killer was camping. its usually not very hard to find out when a killer is camping, yano? Just gen rush the ######### out of him, easy counter.
  • Morfedel
    Options

@LegitAdventurer said:
    This game I referenced was not really an SWF match. It was just me and one other buddy with two randoms. So there was no "hes camping" communication happening. We all just all let him hang as long as we could, knowing he had a Mori, and quickly learning the killer was camping. its usually not very hard to find out when a killer is camping, yano? Just gen rush the [BAD WORD] out of him, easy counter.

I understand that, but, as an example, I was running the Huntress in Coldwind farms a little earlier today. One of my worst match ups, because survivors lose me easily in the damned corn, AND I'm terrible with the hatchet. Been playing her practicing to get her better, but god, that was not the map I wanted to do it on.

I did manage to get a couple hooks, with a LOT of effort, but wasn't able to really nail anyone down. Finally, I got someone in the basement, right as they finished the last generator.

I camped. There was a line of sight along a corn row right to the basement's stairs. I waited a minute, pretty certain they would come try to rescue her. And sure enough, I followed someone in and hooked her too. Then I did it again, and a third came.

That second and third person could have escaped, but they went in for the save and, because I was camping, I got 3k where I would have had 1k.

The Altruism of the survivors sometimes gets them in more trouble. Of course, I only camped when there was only one generator left and it popped... I don't camp on the first hook unless I'm having a bad game and it took me forever to get that, or if I see (or highly suspect) team Altruism is going to rush in to save them. In fact, that's happened so much lately I've started patrolling around the hooked and then heading out to one generator and back, and almost like clockwork as I'm coming back someone gets the save, and sometimes I get the hook back or hook the survivor, other times they escape.

So... well, yeah, camping DOES work sometimes. A lot of survivors don't stick it out to work on generators like they should.

• AtomicCPU3
    AtomicCPU3 Member Posts: 28
    Options

@Morfedel said:
    Well, I just had a surprisingly discouraging match today, and it was mostly from the extraordinarily hostile attacks of two of the players after the match.

So, I'm mostly a survivor, not that great a killer, so I'm starting out here. Rank 18, not that awesome, on the PC, and rank 15 on the PS4. Anyway, I'm trying to get better with the huntress' hatchet, and I'm slowly improving; its a lot easier with mouse and keyboard than controller....

Anyway, as I said, not so terribly hot, so when the gates get powered up, if I get a survivor on the hook I tend to soft camp / patrol it. Usually the survivors will try to come in and save them rather than exit, and I use that as an opportunity to get more, along with NOED.

hasnt always worked, but sometimes it has. I figure it only makes sense: if I'm playing survivor and a killer is camping someone, I just go do other things, work on gens, open gates, whatever. Punish the killer for camping by doing other jobs.

Anyway, once or twice I've been attacked for camping, and I point out MOST of the time I patrol; go kick a gen, come back, go check another gen, come back. Sometimes I catch them rescuing the survivor, sometimes they get away.

And what, I'm supposed to just LET them save the survivor? I don't get the attitude. But I've only been attacked a few times, and mostly softly, such as "great camping dude," to which I point out I patrolled / soft camped.... unless the gates were powered up.

This time, however, three of the players came at me. One was gentle about it and said "sucked you camped my friend, but otherwise GG." The one who I originally "camped" exited. I got a second one, however, and THAT one and the fourth, a twitch streamer too, came at me with all guns blazing, calling me all kinds of vile names and constantly cussing at me, belittling me, etc.

Frankly, I was more than willing to discuss the game, but I think they were SWF, or maybe two groups of SWF; they were very often together all four of them working on a single gen, or three of them where possible, etc. I could almost never find them, because they were all in one spot where I was checking others. They denied it, but the aforementioned person above said it sucked I camped her friend, and the other two, one was talking about the twitch streamer size of followers.

And in between the base insults, there were comments of "code of honor" and such. Like, its ok they SWF, they coordinate, they even rushed to rescue a hooked person earlier and complained about my camping her too, when they rushed in to save her!

Sigh... I dont know, am I wrong? When I played solo survivor, I used to get mad for getting camped, esp face camped or tunneled, and I watch twitch streamers like hybridpanda and tydetime run off right away after hooking someone. I generally do that early game, but keep an eye out for rescue teams to head back.

So, I'm a little frustrated at having been attacked in such a vile manner, and I dont know, I suppose I'd've expected better behavior from a twitch streamer, should have known better I guess.

Thanks in advance.

yes join us brother, let the hate flow through you

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

@AtomicCPU3 said:

@Morfedel said:

Thanks in advance.

:wink:

• Morfedel
    Options

@Master said:

@AtomicCPU3 said:

:wink:

LOL

• SiftHeadsDude
    SiftHeadsDude Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Ah, this is such a tricky topic. Way I see it, camping/tunneling is understandable when there has been about 2 gens done and you aren’t doing so good. You gotta start killing them off at some point, and camping/tunneling can be proven effective. It’ll waste the time of the survivors and sometimes get you another down at no cost if they’re foolish or overly altruistic. The thing is, it’s also pretty easy to counter with either borrowed time, or outright doing gens. And you’ll see that if you play “fair” and dnt camp or tunnel, you’ll lose practically every game unless the survivors are outright bad or noobish. I feel most people have a problem with camping because of 3 reasons. 1, they’re toxic survivors and want points, 2, being camped effectively means you’re done for, and now you probably won’t get much for your time, and 3, it’s just frustrating to deal with (but again, it’s fair when the game isn’t going your way). I honestly bet if they reworked the survivor bloodpoints system, camping wouldn’t be as effective or as “upsetting” because survivors wouldn’t try so hard to go for unsafe saves. 
  • Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650
    Options

Camping is okay at any time. It isn't nice, but the premise of camping is that someone was caught... and if they are camping hard, 2-3 gens should get popped.

So it's 1 life for 3 gens. At least 2.

That's a good tradeoff, but it does suck for whoever was camped.

• Hideous
    Hideous Member Posts: 9
    Options

I just had a match where i got camped to death and I quit out over extreme frustration which doesn't happen to me. I abhor quitting out but i just didn't care anymore. Now I get that killers are going to camp, I get that survivors are going to complain about it. Both sides always complain about EVERYTHING the other side does because most people ONLY care about winning and nothing else. It's crazy how literally every killer says the game is survivor sided and every survivor thinks the game is killer sided -both sides are full of #########. Sorry survivors but camping and tunneling is part of the game the devs do not care. Sorry killers but SWF is fair. To all the survivors complaining, try playing as killer, it ain't easy. Survivors have to understand that their powers have to be diluted in comparison to the killer because there is only one of them and 4 of you. The problem is the devs. Going back to what i said in the beginning, I quit out over frustration, why? It wasn't the killer camping to death per se. It was that i waited forever trying to queue into a match, finally find one. I start a gen, someone gets hooked, I go for the save and get doused with knives (The Trickster, lmao) hooked, then BAM, facecamp. So i put my controller down and stared off into space because no one was coming for me after that. I snapped out of it when i hit death phase and then i just quit out. Oh boy i should have taken one for the team, right? I mean firstly i spent almost 15 minutes from queueing up to quitting and about 3 min of that was me holding my controller actually doing stuff. Let's say i didn't quit out, what was I going to get for my wasted game time & sacrifice? About 500bp and a depip. Whoa, stop the presses that is Super worthwhile! This isn't the killers fault, they're doing what they can. Having camping is not bad it can be a very good gameplay mechanic but the devs need to stop ignoring it & actually make some kind of gameplay mechanic around it, build a reward system or SOMETHING. But damn they just semi endorse it, kinda acknowledge its part of the game and thats it. #########' LAZY. I basically have to sit out the entire time it takes me to die because the killer is using it as a strategy and thats supposed to be fun? This IS a video game. Its supposed to be tense and scary and fun. Not eye rolling every time you're in a match and hear bubba rev his chainsaw. The devs need to realize the individual players experience. If i get camped, ok, but for ######### sake let there be some kind of mechanic at play that triggers when the killer stays by me this long, or some kind of reward so it doesn't feel like a giant ######### up waste of my life. Let it be SOMETHING

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    Options

Camping is always okay, it's just not always a good idea. The devs have clearly stated that it isn't against the rules and is even a valid tactic. If you camp the entire game, you're morally in the clear - just don't expect to win.

If the exit gates are powered and you have NOED, camping is definitely a good idea. I've turned 1K into 4K countless times because the survivors were arrogant enough to attempt a rescue under those conditions.

Just keep in mind that survivors in this game are extremely entitled. Their "code of honor" consists of rules for the other side only; they can still play as dirty as they please and feel fine about themselves. Feel free to ignore it.

Some of them just want to win and throw a tantrum whenever they don't. Feel free to give them a taste of their own medicine in the endgame chat if they start it, but avoid swearing and overt insults (these are against the rules) and stick to subliminal trolling and sarcasm ("you guys really need to practice more", "well, maybe you wouldn't have been tunneled if you weren't so easy to kill", etc.). Pointing out that they broke the rules by calling you names and telling them you're filing a report usually works, also (I don't usually actually file a report, though, but that's just me).

Personally, I don't camp unless the exit gates or powered or some survivor or group of survivors really pissed me off somehow. Extreme BMing, going for a flashlight save every time I pick someone up to the point where I have no hooks into the endgame, and especially anyone who switched to a flashlight or (formerly) a key at the last second in lobby (that ######### gets you killed in any of my games - I'll eat a de-pip and basically throw the overall match just to punish you).