Were you into horror before dbd?

Options
TheHunter2529
TheHunter2529 Member Posts: 42

Were you into horror before dbd? 82 votes

No
15%
ChordycepsAvilgusRoboMojoPepsidotCheeseAntonNoOneKnowsNovaHuge_BushGuiltiiTheHunter2529TrickstaaaaaThatOneDemoPlayer[Deleted User]Smoe 13 votes
Kind of
14%
Seiko300VolantConch1719TapeKnotAven_FallenSkeletalEliteInsaneCoasterWarcrafter4TatariuUnknowninsanitykekprodDeadByStreetlightBothSidesEnjoyer 12 votes
Yes
69%
GibberishSlaughterhouse3GcarrarabrokedownpalaceDimekBabyCameron10TragicSolitudeJawsIsTheNextKillerRullisimusstang62TaigaDr_LoomisShapedGeneralVCornpopers_Evan[Deleted User]Scary_Punk_GhostValikThePoliceSakurra 57 votes

Comments

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options
    Yes

The whole reason why I got interested in DBD in the first place was because it was like you were surviving in a horror movie.

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
    Options
    No

I've always been kind of a wimp when it came to horror. DBD has helped a little but I still avoid horror movies nonetheless, lol.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,906
    Options
    Yes

Heavily so. Horror (especially the psychological variety) has been an obsession of mine, so games, movies, stories and podcasts have all become heavily ingrained.

My first memory was as a little kid, and I'm not sure I should be watching it, but it had a vampire female cop with blue skin and a green female vampire in an Elvira-style outfit. The clothing was close to the nsfw category and I am not sure why my parents had it on, nor do I know what the Hell I watched. I was playing a board game called "Cry Havoc" at the time. All I know was I was very young.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,093
    Options
    Yes

It's the reason I gave DBD a shot.

• Hex_Salt
    Hex_Salt Member Posts: 443
    Options
    Yes

I enjoyed the horror aspect at first, the atmosphere of DBD the full works. Only horror aspect of DBD now is how poor a way the game is

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Kind of

DBD caught me at the cusp of horror interest, 2015 - 2016, Wes Craven's Scream with it's meta approach to the Slasher genre got me interested in slashers as a whole- Scream being my favorite because it seemed eerily and unnervingly realistic: two mentally disturbed and unstable teenagers sort-of-but-not-really being inspired by horror films go on a murder spree. I found the concept and the story scary, the murder mystery intriguing, and the commentary on topics like genre and violent media fascinating. I would eventually learn to appreciate the films like Halloween, F13, and more, that Scream was commenting on in the first place.

Dead by Daylight came out and I think that really pushed me to embrace that interest and that fascination, and to be a part of and interact with a community that enjoys that kind of media. As an homage to slashers from people that genuinely enjoys them- I was glad to be taken on the ride.

Before all this I hated horror, was not a fan of it at all lol. Paranormal stuff still isn't really my thing- I wouldn't say it's not scary but I'm just not down with the concept. A little bit boring / uninteresting, it's hard to pin it down why I don't like it- maybe that changes with the upcoming Ringu chapter which will get me to take a look into the ring- dunno.

• GarlicRice
    GarlicRice Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Yes

Yes, when DBD came out I was too busy playing Dying Light (zombie/parkour game), and then later on I heard about F13 and assumed it would destroy DBD. So I never gave DBD a chance, never even thought to try it out. It wasn't until my friends started playing the game in 2021 and the introduction of the Resident Evil chapter that made me join the game. I'm a huge Resident Evil fan so that definitely got me into the game and I've been addicted since.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,659
    edited January 2022
    Options
    No

I answered no... but now I remember I did have a few hundred hours in L4D2 on the Xbox 360 and PC. But other than that I played no other horror game and haven't watched any horror movies.

L4D2 for me wasn't frightening at all though so I don't know whether to count it as a "horror" game. The 4v4 versus was actually really fun and still is. My favourite game mode was TAAAAAAAAAAANNNKKKK!!!!! though but hardly anyone played it :)

• TheHunter2529
    TheHunter2529 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    No

That's really strange. I also clicked no but I used to play L4D. I guess I didn't consider it because it also wasn't scary to me. After playing dbd for a while though, I started watching horror movies as well as kill counts on yt.

• Gcarrara
    Gcarrara Member Posts: 2,263
    Options
    Yes

Definitely. Horror movies and most of all horror games always created that "adrenaline rush" in me. It's something that i cannot experience elsewhere (luckily of course... Surely i'm not looking forward to find myself in these tense situations irl if i can avoid it).

• Cornpopers_Evan
    Cornpopers_Evan Member Posts: 2,428
    Options
    Yes

I've always loved horror. I still remember watching things like "Creature From the Black Lagoon" when I was super young... I might've also watched Freddy vs Jason when I was about 6 but, let's not tell anyone that ok? ;)

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274
    Options
    Yes

The Thing by John Carpenter is still my favorite movie of all time.