Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Are Killer mains Actually dropping out?

TWiXT
TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
edited January 2022 in General Discussions

People on these forums and Reddit are often seen complaining that killer mains are giving up and dropping out, which is increasing queue times, apparently ever since SBMM was released, and even more after the Hour of the Witch (boons) Update.

Personally, I don't really think that's the case, because honestly I believe the reason for longer queues has more to due with how the SBMM system is matching up players, and not for lack of players. Still, this game has been bleeding players on the steam charts since August, totaling about 18,000+ dropping off between August and the end of December last year, and lowering the average players online from 51k to around 40k per day for just this last month.

What I would be interested in seeing more than anything, is if the complaints that killers are dropping out is substantiated or not. Anyone else want to see a statistic sheet that shows the Avg Killer vs. Avg Survivor population vs. Overall player avg ever since SBMM was released? It would also be nice to see how many players switched roles over that same period of time as well, but that might be asking too much.

I'm betting the statistic will show that, No, killers aren't dropping out anymore than survivors, and that it's only the general population of players that are lowering due to either the seasonal average or if any recent updates have had a negative impact on the game experience overall.

Hopefully the devs already have a few statistic sheets like that, are already working on solutions to stop this bleed asap, and get the games population health back up to where it was.

Either way, It's a statistic I'd love to see to put an end to all of these complaints once and for all. Even more than that, the devs giving us that statistic through their transparency of the issue, would also reassure us, the players, that the devs know where the problems lie and are working hard to fix it.

Would Anyone else be interested in this?

Post edited by TWiXT on

Comments

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,853

Well I personally added to the killer player pool since I don't want to wait 10 minutes for games. But even then I can't do it some days and I just put up with the stupidly long survivor queues. The queues are the worst they have been for years for me and the only reason would be not enough killers as matchmaking is all over the place as if MMR doesn't exist

• TWiXT
    edited January 2022

It could also show a shortage of killers in your server that are around the same SBMM ranking as you. Streamers themselves have noticed that the higher the SBMM rating they reach, the longer their queue times are getting because of the fewer the players are available at their level.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

I actually started out in high MMR cuz it had data on me from before SBMM where I could 4K every game as Clown, so when I finally came back every survivor was kicking my ass but I've slowly gotten less rusty and when I lose a game I know it was because something I did, not because of survivor BS.

• ThanksForDaily
    ThanksForDaily Member Posts: 1,304
    edited January 2022
  • starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

Personally I don't"quit" I take really really long breaks.

When I quit a game I don't return.

• TWiXT
    edited January 2022

I already replied this to @Tsulan above, but Like I said there, SBMM tries hard to match players of similar skill level, and if there's a shortage of them at your current skill level, then it's gonna increase your queue times while it searches for the next best alternative that is closest to your level and available to play. Killers do have shorter queue times than survivors but that's because the amount of players on the survivor side typically outnumber the killers by around 28% as of the last statistic I saw on that, I want to say... before Trickster(?) came out... maybe earlier, I'm not sure. Either way, fewer players in one role means more waiting time for the other, and naturally with survivors outnumbering killers, those kinds of wait times can be expected, especially in the evening hours.

Add in how SBMM matches players, and you get a pretty good idea of why queue times seem to be increasing, hell even streamers have noted that the higher they get in SBMM ranking, the longer their wait times, so I feel that's more likely the case, rather than killers actually dropping out.

Edit: note that I said "SBMM Tries" not indicating that it actually succeeds most of the time, just that it makes an attempt to judge where we are "skill-wise" and match us up accordingly.

Post edited by TWiXT on
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

People have the tendency to play the power role.

Anyway, with the amount of survivors that have a long queues, all having the same mmr rating sounds... weird.

• TWiXT

I can understand that sentiment, and you have my sympathy... the 2nd half of last year has been pretty rough for the game overall, starting with the colossal screw up with the RE chapter release. It's not been very kind on us, but I am happy that they buffed the hell out of my Go-To girl (plague) right before they released the boons, making her a 1 killer hard counter for them, and so it hasn't been as bad for my play experience as others.

Still, the game is losing players, and I hope the devs do something about it asap. I'm also not as "astounded" as you about the devs doubling down on SBMM, mainly because it took them a year and a half of development, and a whole lot of time and money. They really want to see it work to improve the overall game experience, and are hoping they didn't waste their efforts on it, which is understandable. The only problem with that mentality, is that they also aren't doing much about it fast enough to appease their player base. This is something I believe they've realized and are working hard on fixing.

• TWiXT
    edited January 2022

I don't think it's "weird" to believe that the majority of players (survivors) are ranking up in SBMM faster than the minority (Killers), and are finding themselves at a level where there are plenty of players like them, but only a fraction of their oppositions population can compete. This is also why we get the random discrepancies in player skill levels, wherein a relatively new killer, or one that's low-mid range in skill, will get paired with an SWF high SBMM Bully squad decked out with all meta builds and items. SBMM is searching for killers of that teams level, and if none are available, it looks for players in the next ranking down, and repeats until it finds someone. Though these instances are more rare than they were before SBMM came out, they still happen due to the new match making algorithms.

It's Frustrating I know, but also makes sense. Add in the time of day, and you get a clearer perspective as well, since there are overall less players on both sides in the evening hours vs. mid day, and their skill levels vary greatly since SBMM is basically pairing them with "Whoever's Available". A Streamer (Tru3) recently did an experiment to see if there was a difference in skill between those he's matched up with in the mid day vs. evening, and the results were pretty concrete to say the least.

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

I play less in general overall. But I play killer a lot more now when I do actually play.

• cantelope
    cantelope Applicant Posts: 343

I feel like they are on my server. I used to be able to get survivor matches after work in about 1-2 minutes tops, it now takes about 5-10 once I get home.

Whether or not they are quitting elsewhere or are all using VPN to change servers I have no clue. All I know is I used to play some survivor and wait till after 6pm to play killer. Now I can really only play survivor on the weekend unless I'm willing to wait.

• legrosporc69
    legrosporc69 Applicant Posts: 250

I think its not the sbmm that push the killer away but the CoH being a problem and removing the fun playstyle of killer. You can see a massive drop of player in october just when boon got release and you can see when they nerf DS to the way it is now you have an increase in the player base. So im a strong believer that its not the sbmm that push people away but the lack balance.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

I used to play 6 or 7 rounds a night as killer and much more on weekends but I might once or twice now and that’s for both sides.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

That is only a scare tactic. Survivors are dropping way more than killers. Game is simply not fun for the survivor side because of lack of options. The truth is, if you are not on a team that are like gods, the killer will win. That doesn't fun to me.

• Sluzzy

That could be a server matchmaking problem. Even if there was a lack of killers it doesn't mean it is a weak role.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

You get people who constantly claim that they somehow have instant survivor queues yet long killer queues. I have no clue if they are lying, or if it's just something to do with region or something.

• TWiXT

well, I've been trying to, but really I think it would be better just to get some actual statistics from the devs on the matter, especially concerning whether or not killers are actually dropping off or changing sides more than survivors. I think that would ease people's minds over it if we all knew where the game stands as far as the drop rate is going, and whether or not SBMM is to blame, or any of the other changes made through the updates these past few months.

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

I’m sure some of the posts are out of frustration but people do quit games all the time and it’s clear that many killers are unhappy.

• Fnatic47
    Fnatic47 Member Posts: 396
  • Sluzzy

"so please stop trying to derail this conversation with your biased diatribe, and either actually get on board or get out."

Not getting on board with the "killer is weak and powerless". It could be getting old hearing how weak killers are when in fact they are overpowered in regular matches. I will say this again in a respectable manner: "Killers are not supposed to win every single game"

If killer mains played well, they would win an overwhelming majority of the time. It's been proven countless times.

• TWiXT

I'm not saying that the killers aren't unhappy with what's been going on with the game these past few months, but I would like to see statistics that support or defeat the claim that killers are dropping out in droves, so that we all know where the devs are focusing their attention to fix the issue. Wouldn't you?

• TWiXT

There isn't a new one that I know of, do you know of one released in the last dev updates that I missed? Either way, whether we have one or not, I'd still like to see it.

This hasn't been about how strong or weak either side claims to be, and has always been about whether or not the claims on these forums and reddit, regarding the killers drop rate, are true. All I'm interested in is getting those statistics from the devs, so that we all will have a better understanding of why people have been dropping the game these past few months and if there is any disparity between the roles.

Don't try to make this about whether "Killers are not supposed to win every game" or not. The whole reason I brought up the kill rate statistics, was to prove that 50% of the survivors are ranking up in SBMM faster than the killers, which is likely causing SBMM to have a harder time finding killers of similar level in the higher SBMM tiers, resulting in longer queue times for half of the survivor player base.

Again, get on board with the conversation, stop trying to derail it from the topic to express your own hatred towards the killer role, and play your infamous "victim" card, or get out. Respectfully, it's not funny anymore, so please knock it off.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

It does, but I'd like to know what region this is where people have instant survivor queues. I've seen some state it's at all hours, and that just doesn't make much sense.

My survivor queues at the "good hours for survivor queues" are also noticably longer than they were 6 months ago. Went from 5 second waits at 4 am to near a minute.