The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Are Killer mains Actually dropping out?

Comments

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited January 2022

Yes, I saw the Stream as well, and they pretty much put to bed a lot of my assumptions and complaints about SBMM being the cause for the player dropout rate, and it definitely is better than the old "Victory Cube", however, what irritated me the most was their response to this question:

@Madjura - "What is the Killer/Survivor distribution?"

Internally, this is known as the "Role Ratio"- the ratio between killers and survivors. In a perfect world, this should be 4:1, but the truth is that this fluctuates throughout the day quite often. Time of day, reigon, platform, day of the week, and seasonally all are important factors. So no specific ratio can be given, because by the time Patrick has finished talking (and I've finished writing, and you've read it) it will be wrong.

This is an excerpt from @GoodBoyKaru 's Summary of the stream, with the answer they roughly gave for it. The Problem I have with this "Sweeping it under the rug" style answer is that they treated it as if they were going to check it for the day/hour of the stream, and completely ignored the possibility of presenting us with a chart that shows the average "role ratio" per month for the past 3 or 6 months. That was something they very easily could have done, and is almost exactly what this whole post was aimed at getting ahold of, but I believe they purposely didn't do it because they don't want anyone seeing it, which adds more credence to the idea that Killers are in fact dropping out of the game more than survivors, especially over the past few months.

It was like they were covering up their Silence on the issue with a lame excuse for why it couldn't be done right then and there, while ignoring giving us what we wanted to know, and hoping we wouldn't notice or press the matter further. That really rubbed me the wrong way.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Wait, why are you using Jolt on Demogorgon? How dare you use an M1 Perk when Shred exists

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

I’m pretty mediocre with the shred but it’s a good back up for ruin since I don’t have many other killer perks lmao yeah Ik I’m lame. Sometimes I get an awesome shred hit and then other times when I completely wiff on the hit. Jolt should damage a gen with an m2 hit

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Jolt should definitely activate on M2's, in addition I'd say it either needs it cooldown removed or a higher amount of regression

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660
  • Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited January 2022

Personally, I have not played since last year.

I roam the forums on occasion.

And I really do not feel like I am missing out on that much. And I do not feel a good reason to come back and play the game at all if I am being honest.

I don't hate the game, but it just got tiring. I have been enjoying playing other games, even LoL somehow.

I do miss DBD from time to time, but that DBD is not this current one so. Tough love.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    edited January 2022

If BHVR was confident that they had the data that killers are not leaving the game, I think they would have responded to that question very differently. I think they would have shared the data or at least said something generic like “killer player numbers have not been dropping” if they could show the normal % of players in the queue pool was even close to healthy. They didn’t because we can all see it very obviously in the queue times - the game has fundamental balance flaws that make playing killer unfun at higher levels and against SWF.

• medo11
    medo11 Member Posts: 2

i actually just registered to upvote this post. I was one of those that got it free on epic, but i liked it at the beginning , so much that i even spent real money on a killer and played enough to unlock another one ingame (ok those Christmas gifts helped 😀). But lately the game became unplayable for me for the same reasons mentioned here. Matchmaking is all over the place, and i since im semi decent with one of the killers i cant even try out any of the other ones because i get matched with "pros" players that are clearly so much over my lvl its not fun for me, and since the matches last like 10 minutes tops not for them either i guess. And why are most of the people playing survivors so toxic? I just uninstalled the game, shame but i don't need to feel this lousy after like 4 of 5 matches i play.

• medo11
    medo11 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2022

double post sorry

• Ravenlord4711
    Ravenlord4711 Member Posts: 115

Im a killer main and most the killers i knew have quit the game. i was actually the last as I havnt played since boons were out a month.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695
    edited January 2022

I did find it interesting that in the Q&A they didn't want to say much about how different the killer to survivor ratio is. I firmly believe that there are far fewer killer players than ever before. People are tired of sweating their asses off, and SBMM has increased that experience ten fold. Very recently Otz was training a brand new player on how to play killer, and within just 4 games they were competing against players with thousands of hours under their belt. This is what new players have to look forward to. The sweat is all too real, and players are tired of it.

Post edited by SweetTerror on
  • drpynz
    drpynz Member Posts: 247

Killer main here. Before Boons I played around 50 hours a week and played survivor maybe 30 minutes a week. After . This past i have played around 6 hours and half of that as a survivor. In my situation I have definitely lost interest in playing killer. There isn't any type of reward but future nerfs. I am understanding BT is going to be in the base survivor kit at some point.

• ASCE_
    ASCE_ Applicant Posts: 8

I wasn't having fun with the game anymore. I played for months straight for hours a day. It's just not fun anymore because I'm really burned out. I don't want to try and keep playing a game when it feels like a chore. Maybe if this game is still alive by the time I'm not burned out anymore, I'll play again.

I been focused on playing other games now, like apex. Plus Im also waiting for vhs still lol.

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

I was a killer main, not playing anymore till they remove sbmm.

It won't happen? I'll play other games, like i already do

• Prex91
    Prex91 Member Posts: 764

When corrupt base kit? When perk tiers removed so can play builds I want without grind problems? Hower devotion 10 (mainly kille... Soloq for Tome challenges). I usually play for rift pass, events or daily. Circle of healing and heal meta is unfun, gen rush with op builds is boring. Gens fly, you make a couple of hooks and they finish them, Healing faster then you make pressure, so you have to camp and tunnel to pressure them and beg mistakes for kills. I am playing less dbd, not have the motivation of a New game. I am finishing more single player games and play / farm gems for cards on master duel.

• ZelosWilder
    ZelosWilder Member Posts: 6

They aren't dropping at all, they just want to make it seem like that to validate their inumerous complaints.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599

I made a big comment on another thread, but essentially you're right. The longer survivor que times is not solely because Killer is leaving.

• MMR Is easy to raise as Killer, and difficult to raise for Survivor. So Killer's remain at high MMR, and Survivors remain medium to low unless they are in an above average SWF.
    • A lot of Killers are switching from Killer to Survivor.
    • Players are leaving the game. Mostly Solo survivors and Killers.

Though I think the first point is the biggest cause, which is why they are bringing in the decaying MMR, so when Killers take a break from Killer to play Survivor, or take a break from the game - they will stick around longer to play more Killer games before taking another break. Right now a Killer would take a break from Killer, play one to a few games, and then immediately go on break again. The updates are not helping.

• SilentShepherd
    SilentShepherd Member Posts: 527
    edited January 2022

I bought DBD to be a Killer main. I was a Killer main and I quit in November. I do not play Killer at all anymore. In fact, I get annoyed when they keep giving me a screen full of Killer Rituals. I delete them as soon as I can, 1 by 1.

In fact, I took a long break from DBD and when I came back, I am 100% survivor only.

If you can't beat em, join em. I'm having more fun as a Survivor only player. I've gotten good at looping too.

0% interest in ever going back to killer because of the developers. They'd have to remove flashlights from the game, and do something about Survive with Friends in ranked. I want a SOLO ONLY queue.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

Pretty sure yeah, I quit dbd for a bit, haven't played for like a month or so, came for 6 matches during the 1.5x bp, left as soon as I saw the outcome of the matches or I should say the quality of the matches.

I invested about 2.5k hours on killer just to drop it like that but currently the game is not fun for either side.

• ZelosWilder

More like a fanfic you made up from my post, lol. Threatening to quit is just the obvious move to try and force your demands, you don't need a group of killers "conspiring" for that. 🤪

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838

Keep attempting to troll. Someday, someone will fall for it.

I mean, no one smarter than you, so you will have to try REALLY hard to find someone dumber. But keep trying, kiddo! I believe in you!

• ZelosWilder

Just sharing my fair thoughts, I would say it's quite abnormal how you pull the trolling card to anyone who doesn't take the killer side. But since you get so easily offended, let's leave it at that.

• SilentShepherd
    SilentShepherd Member Posts: 527

I did quit. I no longer play killer since November. I specifically bought DBD to play Killer Main.

I am now a 100% Survivor main. I delete any daily ritual that is tied to killers.

• Ricardo170373
    Ricardo170373 Member Posts: 683
    edited January 2022

This is my personal stats for killers matches, since 12/17/21 My kill rate is 72, its good but, i play everytime against COH, DH, BT, Unbreakable,DS, etc... and like a Otz said, if you dont try tunnel or soft camp, you dont kill people, if you try play with "fair play" ( i mean.. hooking 8 times or more) you dont kill surviors, just you are counting hooks until finally you be in the exig gates where survivors be waiting for you with their tbags and click clicks. In high MMR people play like a championship and its not fun and 80% people bulling you on high MMR, its so boring and i dont undestand why doing that, if you cout 11 hooks or tunnel or camp, you recieve bully anyway.

• 3kh = 3 kills and hatch
  • Khelendrose2020
    Khelendrose2020 Member Posts: 207

Been a killer main for 4 years. I dropped out due to MMR. I used to play upwards of 20 to 30 hours a week. I play 1 hour every 3 weeks now. Can't stomach so much sweat.

I personally know 17 other killer mains who dropped out die to MMR. Of the 17, only 3 play periodically. The others have not played for at least 7 weeks.

Yeah, MMR is killing the killer experience. Look at overall game numbers on Steam alone. They are sinking.

• CyberDragoon656
    CyberDragoon656 Member Posts: 960

That's cause if everything was balanced and fixed there shouldn't be a problem region and time of day and mmr everyone knows that system is the shits and will just slap anyone that they can in a match since this game is not a skills based game and is un balanced as hell now.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

When I slap on meme perks and run into 4x DH, 2x BT, 1x leader, 2x we'll make it, 2x CoH, 5 perks of whatever the survivors want yeah it makes me have zero desire to play the game.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

Oh, I also forgot: During the period of time where DbD lost 22,000 players:

• There was a Halloween event, with its own unique tome
    • TWO killers and TWO survivors released
    • The game was released for free on Epic Game Store, flooding the cross-queue with a slew of new players to reduce queue times

Whole lot of "please keep playing" things getting deployed and still 40% (of Steam players) left.

Perhaps trying to "balance for the sake of balance" lost sight of what actually made the game fun to play?

• DarthNipple
    DarthNipple Member Posts: 22

I say as an experienced DBD player of 2 hectres:

I think although they can be very stupid, they have potential and are quite competent in most cases. I think dropping out will slow there potential and they should continue to learn and gain new experiences.

I am a nursery drop out and have never gone a higher education than this, and from experience I have been held back for 32 years now that I am turning 21. I now have 5 kids, 1 kid and three Grandmother's that look after me while I look after them (We are Italian and all live together (4 generations in the 1 house). Since retiring from nursery I now have become a full time Hispanic and love enchilada or two (if my bowels or okay even 3 at weekend! ).

Anyways that is my take on dropping out of educations.

Kind Regards,

Nanny McFee,

Not Director:

MacAfee Security.

• BigChapAlien21
    BigChapAlien21 Member Posts: 250
    edited January 2022

I'm sure someone has said this but while I enjoy Killer more than Survivor I am hesitant to play the role because of how all or nothing the experience feels right now. Playing Killer more consistently would help but today my matches went like

Game with 1k because I had to camp for it.

Game with 4k

Game with 1k because I had to tunnel for it

Game with 1k again, Springwood

Game with 4k (1 DC, 3 kills)

Game with 3k (1 DC, 2 kill, 1 hatch escape)

Game with 2k (2 DC, I let the other two Survivors go)

It just feels like every game is either going to be a stomp in my favor or me sweating my recently re-buffed ass off to get a kill at all. Any stomp after the initial whupping feels like a pity win.

I just do not feel like I am playing at consistent levels. Just be bounded back and forth between survivors who ate considerably weaker than me and survivors who are considerably better than me. If I didn't let the last two go it would have been another 3k guaranteed and potential 4k.

I enjoy when I make good plays with Pyramid Head but it really feels like eventually I'll just be punished for it, even if the system isn't intended to be like that.

Edit: this isn't to say I couldn't just continue to get better and climb to new heights but the difficulty spikes rn for any sort of improvement feels too harsh

• Ricardo170373
    Ricardo170373 Member Posts: 683

3kh = 3 kills and hatch - i play on PS4- after midnight in South America - crossplay on

This is my personal stats for killers matches, since 12/17/21 My kill rate is 72, its good but, i play everytime against COH, DH, BT, Unbreakable,DS, etc... and like a Otz said, if you dont try tunnel or soft camp, you dont kill people, if you try play with "fair play" ( i mean.. hooking 8 times or more) you dont kill surviors, just you are counting hooks until finally you be in the exig gates where survivors be waiting for you with their tbags and click clicks. In high MMR people play like a championship and its not fun and 80% people bulling you on high MMR, its so boring and i dont undestand that, if you cout 11 hooks or tunnel or camp, you recieve bully anyway

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Yeah, do not listen to him. It exists. I used to be a part of it myself but they kicked me out for leaking top secret killer main agendas. It was just a minor infraction based on the killer rule book, but now that I am no longer part of that shadow organization, I do not care what happens to me. There is a large group on this forums and we decide what to complain about behind the scenes to change the game in our vision. First we came for Circle of Healing and now with that out of the way, we will come down on Dead Hard. Watch as it happens just as I said. Take that Consortium of Killers. Bet you regret kicking the #1 NA Bubba.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

They also said that kills and escapes wouldn't be what determined your SBMM score so, it's not like they haven't lied to us in the past.

• gilgamer

Actually killers rank up much faster in SBMM there are just a lot less of them, when sbmm hit higher skilled killers had pretty long queue times and through datamining they found that there were significantly was a significantly higher amount of killers at the MMR softcap (cap at which the matchmaking stops caring not the actual MMR cap which doesn't exist to my knowledge) then survivors but after a few days the majority of players that were in queue were already at that cap.

So it was pretty much the same situation as with the color grades where the majority of players were at red ranks which made it not really matter much.

That said they keep changing that MMR soft cap so who knows what they are right now but based on what I've seen with SBMM not actually being a good measure of skill and the heavy inconsistencies between matches tells me that even if the numbers have changed the problem hasn't.

• gilgamer

You can also see an 18% dip in players in August when the sbmm came out so I think there might be a slight correlation.