The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The Solo Queue Experience

NeonAlien
NeonAlien Member Posts: 328
edited January 2022 in General Discussions

TW: rant

I've been playing this game for a long time, most of it with 1 friend and solo. Solo has never been a well-rounded thing, but I feel like, in the last few weeks, it has become even more nightmarish. I'm not trying to bash anyone and really love this game and many of the survivors and killers I meet are awesome, but also, survivors and killers alike can be SO goddamn annoying, it's slowly getting to me. I always have bond and kindred on me so I've got a pretty good idea of what's going on most of the time. It's a blessing and a curse. The past few weeks, I've had a copious amount of games in a row where:

a survivor gets downed within the first minute, then kills themselves on the first hook asap or dc's (basically leaving a barely started match with just 3 survs, fun!)

a survivor is afk half of the match / the whole match (more or less same as the above, but the killer can slug / hook them and waste time of other survs for a teammate who doesn't give a #########)

1-3 survivors hiding for an eternity without doing anything useful despite no killer being around

1-3 survivors just being absolutely incompetent to the point where I'm wondering if they've ever played this game before (looking at their ranks, they did though)

I'm just baffled. Why do they not do gens? Why do they not go for the unhook? Why are they hiding and crawling on the edge of the map when the killer is chasing someone else far away? Do these people not want to play the game? What's the point in loading into a game and then not even trying to play it as intended?

And then combine all that above with killers so sweaty they could fill a footballfield-sized pool. It's an absolute #########-show and I can only do so much as 1 of a 4-man-team. Being slugged has become my biggest pet peeve. Just laying around for what feels like ages, oftentimes with NO intention of the killer to hook me because they're too busy watching out for someone who may or may not be near to heal me up. Killers downing me and bringing me into the basement, to put me on the FLOOR and then just... leave. Killers trying to get as many survivors to round up around a slugged survivor and kill them all off while those same survivors didn't even touch one (1) gen all game and play run and gun with the killer instead. Like I understand and respect slugging as a tactic but it's become far too common for killers to slug and leave to defend a gen on the other side of the map or just hang out in the slugees vicinity while letting no one get to them. This is not an exaggeration, I spend WAY too much time being slugged for no good reason. It's ridiculous. I'd be better off just dc'ing, seeing the game goes nowhere anyway, and the penalty being shorter than waiting for a change of heart or bleeding out.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could just hop into another match as soon as I figure out all my teammates are useless and the killer is on overdrive, but instead of getting a merciful hook, I get slugged and slugged and slugged. Like, come on, at least grant me a quick death so I can requeue and hope I won't get another baby squad.

This post contributes nothing of course. I just need to vent. I'm so tired of bad teammates. I'm tired of laying on the floor. I'm tired of the overly invested killers and underperforming teammates combo. When you have even halfway decent mates and a decent killer, this game is so much fun, and I don't mind the occasional baby survivor or sweaty killer, I just don't want to bother with them simultaneously 10 games in a row. Is that too much to ask... I'm just so tired.

Comments

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920
    edited January 2022

Solo queue is pretty miserable for me. I usually run into killers running at least two slow down perks, and I almost always have at least one teammate who has no intention of playing. Just now, I'm playing as Mikaela, had a boon up right after the first gen got done, and I watched my Feng teammate literally refuse to play the entire rest of the game because she was injured, and I followed her through the boon area where she did not heal herself. I had a game a week ago with a Nancy who, I am not kidding, she did not touch a gen the entire game. I had a game on the Game where a Jeff crouched, terrified, on the lower level long enough that I did a gen and a half, entirely alone, and there was never a terror radius near us the entire time. And sadly, I have almost 2000 hours in this game, almost entirely as a solo survivor. It's no wonder I take months long breaks from this game now. Eventually I'll walk away entirely. Honestly my teammates do far more damage than the killers ever do, as much as it would hurt their feelings to know.

Oh and I find that killers will not hook you if you make it obvious you want out. It's a weird power trip. You have to pretend that they got you fair and square and then hope you can ######### before someone unhooks you.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442
    edited January 2022

Nemesis zombies AI its smarter than the team i get in soloQ sometimes.. i feel you.

SBMM did nothing more than ruin the game. Because escaping doesn't mean skill, its purely luck. You need a good team to escape, otherwise no matter what you do its impossible, other than having again also luck if you find the hatch.

And even if you die in 20 matches an escape only 5 you don't get worse killers, you still get killers that are much better than the team you get as survivor. So SBMM its not only worse than the old MM but also it doesn't work correctly.

The old MM was much better. I was matched with people of my skill with it (most of times) it also had its flaws, but compared to SBMM it was 10 times better. I wish they revert this crap someday and realize that it's one of the things that is slowly killing the game.

• NeonAlien

Oh god, I feel you. When they get injured, or hear just a fraction of a heartbeat, it's like the world is ending for the rest of the game. They won't to #########, just sit in a corner and ??? Don't even know what they're trying to do. I usually run up to them, heal them if needed and make the "follow me" motion to try and get them to play the game. But it's very annoying when it happens every other game.

I also think that bad teammates are way worse to "go against" than a very good killer. You easily lose against bad killers with bad enough teammates. I don't mind losing, but not this way. It's infuriating, really.

Games where I do (not kidding) 4-5 gens - Yep, actually not that uncommon.

And that may very well be, I've got the feeling that when I'm offering myself to the killer, they either: go easy on me and let me do whatever ?? or slug. Few just hook me. I really should try to make it feel "real" for them... Thanks for the insight.

• meatisadelicacy

I feel that. I'm at the point where if I don't single handedly do three gens on top of making saves and being chased, we don't have a chance. I don't even mind dying to a good killer. Not to be arrogant, but it's honestly rare. Most of the time I die, it's because teammates just will not play.

• NeonAlien

True, escaping (or winning) means absolutely nothing in this game. I'd rather have games than are fun and challenging with good teammates and not escaping than accidentally finding the hatch after my 3 mates were done playing dead fish. Ugh.

• NeonAlien

Sadly, this is also my reality of this game. I do everything I can to carry my team, sometimes it even works, but it's exhausting when no one else is there to have your back and the killer is power tripping to the moon. Idk. I just wish people who don't do anything in a match would just... not play.

• Irisora

Its definitely hard to escape as a soloQ because as you said you have to repair at least 3 gens, unhook and loop the killer. Pretty much everything lol

Trying builds i even made one for only repairing with Kate for soloQ with "Build to Last+Fast track+Stake out+Resilience" and a green toolbox. Its not bad.. but even if you manage to repair 2 or 3 and even 4, you need your team to finish all gens, and if they are complete potatoes... not much can be done.

So im starting to give a good look to "Left behind" and "Wake up" because i tend to be most of the times the last survivor alive. But i wish i had not do use those perks. I want a better and working matchmaking, not this joke.

• NeonAlien

I really recommend kindred. I can feel the change in the air once my team has a visual of what the others are doing. Suddenly, they are more focused and work better as a team. Not always of course, but it really helps a lot (also it's always nice to see if a killer is camping and if anyone is going for the save, or which gens are worked on or abandoned because of a chase). But tbf I'm a sucker for context and overview. I run bond + kindred for that, and borrowed time + we'll make it to make the saves as quick and painless as possible. I'm happy when someone brings CoH. I don't even bother with other perks anymore, which is sad but it feels bad not having the overview of what the others are doing / not doing and not having BT just feels awful. Left behind is a nice perk to have though, in these trying times...

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

No going to lie, I rage quit for the first time in DBD after a team just failed me at literally every turn. I had to take a break and play a different game. I was so triggered, ha ha ha... Screw my "teammates."

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

Usually I get 1 medicore to good teammate, one noob and one that’s usless. The killers I get are good to so it’s not really balanced at all

• Irisora

Yep kindred its not bad but other than that i usually don't equip support perks because if your team don't know how to loop they will get downed fast anyway. I'm confident with just never hook farming and if the killer its coming for the hook i just tank the hit, i don't find BT really a must unless the killer make a campfire near the hook and start making marshmallows 😂

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500

When SBMM got introduced, my SoloQ games went from sometimes bad/sometimes good to almost always bad. A 40-45% escape rate plummeted to 5-10%. After the Artist got added I went on a hiatus and now that I'm back, suddenly every single SoloQ lobby is full of survivors who are doing gens. Even if they go down to a non-instadown killer in 20 seconds, we almost always get a 3 man out and I've gotten a 85-90% escape rate. I have absolutely no idea what's going on anymore.

• Irisora

My average soloQ experience 🤣

The devs really need to do something about the matchmaking, its awful.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

I had a bill today with 2 perks (left behind and lightweight) and finished with 3k points I saw him crouching in the corner. I tried to get the huntress to kill him but she killed me instead. Why do I play with people like this. The game is survivor sided, but if you get the worst teammates, the game becomes killer sided at least to me

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

That is adorable. Poor baby Bill was just so afraid of the mean old Huntress. He didn't mean any harm by it.

• meatisadelicacy

Yeah if someone is too scared to play the game, they should play killer. It really ruins the experience when the game is balanced with the expectation that it's a 4v1 and 1-2 people just are not playing. It rarely, rarely is. Especially right now with the event, it's a huge help to the killer. Every killer is running 1-2 slowdown perks as usual, and all three teammates are looking for envelopes.