Was the Spirit nerf justified?

Options
glitchboi
glitchboi Member Posts: 5,958

Oh boy, controversial thread #10177539631! Well, not like this thread will probably get much attention since it's like 11 PM here.

The Spirit nerf was quite controversial. Some people believe she is weaker now, some believe she is still strong, some believe she is just as strong, some believe the nerf was too little or too much, and some think the nerf was unjustified to begin with.

What are your thoughts?

Was the Spirit nerf justified? 51 votes

The nerf was absolutely justified. (Yes)
78%
White_OwlFallenRanger0Seiko300OnryosTapeRentalsMiriamGTapeKnotInnCognitoMrPenguinTaigaUistreeloxygenMrsGhostfaceCornpopers_EvanRoboMojoTunnelVisionSebaOutbreakValikTatariuFFirebrandddugman 40 votes
The nerf was unjustified, she was fine as she was. (No)
9%
Gibberishpizzaduffyhp90GlamourousLeviathanProudRinMainshinobu149 5 votes
Spirit needed a nerf, but not this big of a nerf. (Middle)
9%
Rullisimusstang62GeneralVThe_Grim_Reaper99PSP 5 votes
Other
1%
Bennett_They1Them 1 vote

Comments

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

The Spirit, among other DbD killers, has a very 'wonky' power that is tough to balance because it relies on multiple factors to remain strong - while those same factors can make her far too oppressive for survivors.

As she was before, she dominated the meta - she's been taken down a notch now, which is great, but there's more work to be done.

In my opinion, she's still strong - but she's in a place where tweaking her numbers will not balance her. She needs a little bit of a side-grade to move her mechanics out from where they are. Hopefully Behavior will find an eloquent solution that will allow her to remain as a strong killer without making her so incredibly oppressive in the meta.

• glitchboi
    Options

Yeahhh I definitely should have posted this during the day because this thread barely got any traction.

• pizzaduffyhp90
    pizzaduffyhp90 Member Posts: 901
    Options
    The nerf was unjustified, she was fine as she was. (No)

I do prefer the old Spirit was more fun to play as and to go against. she was my actually my favorite killer to vs cause I loved the whole guessing game she had and now that's not really there anymore since you can hear her in phase.

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
    Options

People sometimes still comment on polls I made many weeks ago. Given time, you'll get a good deal more votes.

• Cornpopers_Evan
    Cornpopers_Evan Member Posts: 2,428
    Options

I do, without a doubt, think the nerf was justified. That said though, personally, I think she's still a VERY strong killer and probably still even in the top 3 and no, at this point, I don't think we should see that dust change being put in, now THAT would be overkill imo.

• glitchboi
    Options
  • Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

Yes. Her standing still mind game was a little stupid.

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
    Options

I understand, but unfortunately the polls section isn't quite as popular as general discussions. Patience is a necessity here, lol.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,853
    Options

Standing still did need to go. Directional audio also makes her much more fun to play than before imo.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    Options

How do you avoid a pursuer who is incredibly fast, impossible to detect, and leaves behind a decoy so you don't even know when they've entered that state?

Your only option is guess and pray, which doesn't make for interesting gameplay.

• GarlicRice
    GarlicRice Member Posts: 118
    Options

Yes, she had no counterplay really beforehand. She's still strong to me and I don't think she's as bad as some people like to cry and pretend she is. People act like she's completely destroyed now when she really isn't.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,357
    Options

Controversial for who? No skill Spirit players? Most of the player base wanted her changed.

She's still strong too. Just not as braindead as before.

• glitchboi
    Options

Judging by the amount of people I've seen saying Spirit was fine as she was, I thought there were more people who thought she was genuinely fine as she was.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    Options

She's still quite strong, but at least survivors can do something more than toss a coin.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,548
    edited January 2022
    Options

Stand-still mindgames were stupid and needed to go. The "kick up dust while phasing" change would have been overkill, but since they ended up not going through with that overall they did a really good job with her changes. A few of her addons could still use some work, but her basekit is mostly perfect now - I say mostly only because I still dislike how much IW counters her.