Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

I'm I supposed to keep getting Rank 1's in every match ?

I barely have 48 hours in game Silver 3 killer hardly but every match I keep getting paired with Rank 1's and red ranks like 2 and 3 red ranks all the time they rush gens quickly and loop me forever , why a 48 hours new player supposed to play against players with 2000 hours+ that can do everything perfectly it's not fair

Comments

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Grade only reflects time played not level of skill.

• AlkaloidssOP
    AlkaloidssOP Member Posts: 254

The matchmaking of this game is terrible. So you'll propably need to lose some matches to get worse players again.

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

It is the new normal the old rank system was definately better but it also had its problems they really need to somewhat mix this system and the old system so players like you dont get these unfair match ups. It basically just means your doing well as a killer but honestly your better off for it as your skill will increase faster since the challenge is harder. Take it as a sign of respect your doing too well as a killer lol that bronze was probably what was throwing off the match up

• BadZilla
    BadZilla Member Posts: 467

Just finished another match with 2 red ranks it's insane they're good at rescuing others and looping I can't do nothing , it was fair a bit when I was bronze I get equal skill players but now I keep getting SWF and sweaty rank 1s that will tbag every second they can I just can't beat someone that played the game 2000 hours when I still have no idea about 60% of it's tricks lol everyone is escaping I just start a game 2 gens instantly pop up as I get in a chase with a rank 1 get a hit then try to patrol another gen since I can catch him , 2 more gens are done then they all gather to troll me before they open the door and escape they don't miss any skill checks too and use sweaty perks

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Grade reflects time, time reflects skill in 99% of situation.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933
    edited February 2022

Since no one apparently has time to explain what's going on, what they mean with "grade reflects the amount of time played" is that matchmaking supposedly works with a hidden skill value that players cannot see, that changes based on your performance while playing (kills/escapes as far as we know).

The ranking system you see was used in the old matchmaking. Now it is only used for season rewards, which are blood points. The higher your grade on the 13th of every month, the higher your reward. Then it resets back to ash 4, so it does in a certain way show your skill (the faster you get to rank 1) but it is so easy to pip up while playing certain killers or with a certain survivor gameplay that it does also reflect simply how much you played the game.

Also, your hidden value for the matchmaking is supposedly unique for each killer (the more you play a killer and the better you perform with them, the better survivors you will find), while the rank is shared

HOWEVER the matchmaking extremely sucks and if one of the two parties has been in queue for enough time it will just place them against any opponent available regardless of skill (hey, you're getting stomped or you're against babies, but you're playing right? 🙂)

• lonesomekill
    lonesomekill Applicant Posts: 246

No its not fair. A messed up system. It gets worse. I never get more than 1 kill and somehow im levelled in the 80s. 4 out of 5 games i get 0 kills. You will get equal players sometimes. Just gotta keep your chin up. At least your wait time for a game should be faster as killer. Good luck

• fulltonon

Tbh SBMM simply doesn't work for killers because how it works, it's only for good survivors to stack with good survivors, not to have good opponent.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

If you just start playing then yes.

Apparently matchmaking makes new players verse players with hundreds of hours so they learn what kind of matchmaking this game has in the fastest way possible

• Wesu
    Wesu Member Posts: 57

And all the way down here in the thread is the first time the correct answer has been given. There is a severe imbalance of killer players to survivor players, with a shortage of killers. The matchmaking system works, but it takes into consideration both skill level AND how long a group of survivors has been waiting for an appropriate match. This manifests in 5 to 10 minute queues for high-ranked survivors, and fledgling killers such as yourself being matched with players way above your skill level who have been waiting for a long time.

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500

New players start with a rating of 900. The soft cap is 1900. The matchmaking is willing to work with a 400 gap. So if you just gotten to 1501 rating, you can verse the absolute best that have played the game for 10k+ hours. Flawless system, all praise Patrick for his genius insight!

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,886

Earlier tonight I got matched up against a team players that had to have been completely new to the game, and I have 1500+ hours in. I play on console so I couldn't see their hours, but none of them seem to have any idea what PH's power was, and spent the whole match grouped up trying to immerse, playing terrified. I could easily have ended the game in 5 minutes or less.

I went super easy on them, letting them play a bit, and let one go, but that's not the experience brand new players should be having. Or me, for that matter. No fun for anyone. And matches like these are not uncommon.

And as for grade, at this point I am not sure it's not a better indicator of skill than MMR. Time in game is positively correlated to skill, and since SBMM seems to be throwing crap at the wall, grade may actually mean more, which is not great.

• c0gnu5
    c0gnu5 Member Posts: 70

To be fair, rank means nothing, I suggest you ignore it all together. I have around 160 hours, maybe 1/3 of it as a killer, yesterday I finally got to silver and survivors in iri are not that rare for me.

Maybe you just shouldn't expect to win as a Ghostface against fully stacked survivors with boons and strong items

• KajdanKi
    KajdanKi Member Posts: 219

you can pip up losing matches a survivor thus getting grades.

You only need to do gens, totems and with bit of luck from the rest of the team you can actually survive

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

It's the fact that the Emblem system isn't tied to MMR

Which is why you get BP on the 13th

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

Lose Noed, it may be inflating your MMR with kills at end game.

• fulltonon

"Maybe you just shouldn't expect to win as a Ghostface"

I think this is the correct answer, too.

• Mr_K
  • KajdanKi
    KajdanKi Member Posts: 219

I wouldnt generally look at the grades.

Many people do iri grade and then they lower their mmr just to have fun with newbies to destroy them. Since grade is never lost and we dont have actual ranking, why not, right?

So the most important is how one is taking this game. Seriously? Casually? Sweaty? or simply trolling?

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Well, actually it’s mostly play time since once you go up a grade you lock that Grade in and can’t lose pips below that. So no matter how good or bad you are, if you play enough you’ll eventually have two or three two pip games in a row and level up just from that alone. The criteria for getting a pip does get slightly harder the higher your grade is but not to the extent that it prevents you from leveling up after a few solid matches in a row.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

There are a couple of reasons mismatches happen which make them unavoidable even assuming your MMR is accurate.

• When someone dodges a lobby the game looks for the next available player to fill the gap because it doesn’t want four people in a lobby waiting for a fifth. So every time a lobby dodge happens it has a much higher chance of being a mismatch. (Therefore, if you honestly want to have a positive impact on the game as a whole, don’t lobby dodge, you’re just setting up the next player for a possible mismatch.)
    • Survivors play in swfs in about half of all matches, and odds are good of having a high rated player playing with low rated friends or family. Matchmaking won’t be as reliable in that case since the system is probably just doing an average of the ratings to set a goal for where the killer should be.
    • Players with outlier high ratings may not have close matches in the lobby pool at a given moment, and if they wait too long then the game just puts them in the next available match so they can at least play the game. So if you have a high rated swf squad they’re more likely to get a mismatch against an average or newer player after a long wait in queue if there just doesn’t happen to be a similarly highly rated killer waiting for a match.

Also good job on getting Silver 3 as a new player, at this rate you could be red grade and get a big bloodpoint bonus in a couple of weeks when the reset happens. 🙂

• BadZilla

I just started recently using it since high ranked players are toxic they ignore totems and gen rush so it's the only way to get a sacrifice against red ranks

• BadZilla

Sadly my queue times are insane like 5 mins to 10 mins usually to get a killer match

• BadZilla

Well as a wraith main it's not that different , my skill with GF is pretty decent I always get 4k kills and 3 kills with silver and bronze players and gold too but anything higher I just can't do anything

• BadZilla

His play style is fun and other killers I have are quiet boring I enjoy mostly GF

• BadZilla

Thank you :) , I'd definitely use more bloodpoints you never get enough

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

NO, I understand. Completely. But it may cause your MMR to rise by getting kills because of it. Where not getting those kills would lower it and be a more accurate representation of where you should be.

Although, it's hard to know for sure with the ratio of survivors to killers, you may still get red ranks.

• BadZilla

50% of times I used it they cleaned it quickly I had no value and barely used it like in 10 total matches or so , I rarely use it so it's not really the reason I'm getting kills I had to tunnel some times against high skill red ranks to get at least a kill sometimes because they will flash save and group in front of hooks or sabotage them and they will run behind someone injured to save them and tbag every second of it

• tester
    tester Member Posts: 792

Don't worry. As a grade 1 killer, I've get your brown/silver grade survivors all the time and matches are over with 1 or 2 gens done. So it all averages out... Don't you know, according to BHVR, it's the average that matters 🤣

• BadZilla

lol yep I'm dealing with your survivors and you're dealing with mine pretty balanced

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

Your MMR starts too high and there's too wide of an acceptable gap since there aren't enough killers.

As you're new and are probably tempted to get kills by any means possible you might be tempted to camp and use NOED. Don't.

The reason why I say this is because getting kills will increase your MMR which gets you harder games. Before you move on to harder games, you need to learn chasing, map awareness, keeping track of gens and when to drop chase. If you camp, tunnel, and use NOED you won't learn these skills as fast.

I'm not saying never do those things but, if you do those things as a new player they're effective enough that they'll put you up against survivors that you have no chance against since you skipped over learning game mechanics. It's a design flaw in my opinion. Learn the proper time and place to use them before you do. It's short term pain for long term gain.

You will get tbagged and mocked even when you're playing nice, especially as a new killer, but try to focus on the good games; not the dbags who just try to make people miserable.

Anyway, that's what helped me. Good luck and I hope that helps you out.

• AgentTalon
    AgentTalon Member Posts: 331

Good lord is that for real? A swing of 400 points in a system with only 1900 total? Wow, I would think they would swing 150 max or less. I understand that would make matchmaking take forever but still, 400 is just busted IMO.

• BadZilla

everything you said is very accurate and yes it is a flawed system just playing to win will screw you quickly it's terrible to play in a way that won't let you win since that's the goal just randomly chasing and patrolling is not effective at all and makes it easier for survivors to win and as a new player I need more blood points and shards and winning is the only practical way to speed it up

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

If you want more BP a game with 8 hooks and 0K will give you more than a game with 4 hooks and 4K. Level Leatherface if you have him to get BBQ and Chili and then run that in a match. If you hook everyone once you're looking at about 50K per game. Also, with more escapes your games will get easier and you'll make more BP even if most of the survivors escape.

• BadZilla
    edited February 2022

As you can see in my original post pic I'm using BBQ in almost all my builds but it's not consistent in showing survivor auras it's only helpful gaining more BP but what breaks me mentally when I usually hook everyone 2 times and then I down and hook 2 just 1 red rank saves everyone and they escape since the gates are open and everyone using DS and borrowed time and Unbreakable and they can crawl towards the exit gates it's overwhelming to play against 4 good players as a new killer :/

• BadZilla

First match today and 3 red ranks with a difficult map but I managed to win somehow

• TurtleSushiTV
    TurtleSushiTV Member Posts: 156

Just keep playing more buddy, You'll get there. Nothing beats experience and play time

• BadZilla

Everyone plays to have fun and go against equal skill players not to get bullied for 1000 hours from 5000 hour pros till you get that experience instead of gaining it slowly ranking up not playing against rank 1's each game when you just started the game

• TurtleSushiTV

that's the only choice we have unfortunately. It doesn't seem MMR isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

• TurtleSushiTV

again as stated previously they are not Ranks anymore they are Grades

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277
  • Mr_K

You can't degrade. You can lose 20 times in a row, win 5, lose 20, and repeat until you're grade 1.