Is the new MMR worse than the old system?

Adaez
Adaez Member Posts: 1,239

This MMR makes no sense,1 game I go againts really good survivors,then the next really bad ones,there is no inbetwen,what is this MMR supposed to show?

Comments

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,209

Honestly, it depends on the time of day you play and the amount of players searching in your MMR range. It seems to completely lose its mind when a lot of people are on and queue times increase. When it starts putting 50 hr players with 3000 hr players, yeah, it's worse.

But it's actually quite good when the population is more even and it tries to make good matches. It's a massive improvement over old ranked matchmaking when it tries to fulfill the skill-based requirement instead of freaking out over queue times.

• legrosporc69
    legrosporc69 Applicant Posts: 250

In the middle of the day that when you can have the best experience as a player you have enough people for you to get a good teamate and oppenant.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I'm on the higher end of MMR and commonly get iri red survivors despite playing like, 4 times a month. Instant killer queue times though which I think is a part of it. I can beat them if I try or have the right build/killer setup but most of the time I'm just goofing off so whatever.

• LastShoe
    LastShoe Member Posts: 1,183

Well... if you want a simple answer, it depends how you look at it.

The full answer goes as follows:

There is a higher ranking diversity, i don't know what are the limits of the mmr, but even if hard cap is 2000 it's already 100 times better than 20 emblems

But, the way you get your rating is worse because it's based only on the kills/escapes.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

It's about the same, maybe a little worse.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Emblem/rank based matchmaking was actually not even working as it was intended as there have always been rainbow ranks… and even if it did work.. it didn’t match based on skill level AT ALL. It was pretty much random. And heavily complain about by the community, even more than MMR is now. With enough time investment everyone could easily rank up. It was just different how much time investment was needed but in the end every kind of player/skill level was in red ranks anyways.

that doesn’t mean MMR is working great right now. But it at least tries to do something.

and can be further improved/adjusted based on statistics and feedback.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,137

SBMM is definitely worse than the old system.

I just got out of a match with two teammates who spent most of their time creeping around the edge. It took forever to pop the final gen because every time the killer got near the one would creep away (the other one never touched a gen), which ended up with me going on a hook because letting go of the gen on Switch still leads to a grab. And did the one pop the gen that was a hair off while I was being put on the hook? No. My dead-on-hook friend had to run over and do it, at which point the gen had been kicked and regressed. The killer nearly got them, I almost died on the hook. We barely managed to escape, while the other two strolled out the exit gate because of the work we put in.

And if me and my friend had died, we would get worse teammates next match, which means working harder to make up for all the things the other survivors don't do and certainly dying for it. Doesn't matter how bad the killer is when no one else works on gens or takes aggro. Meanwhile, the two who did nothing get better teammates they can piggy-back on. Yeah, this system makes sense.

That happens in way too many of my matches. I wish I had bots as teammates, the bots at least do gens.

• kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 616

For creating matches, no. Not because matches are fairer and skill is being measured properly, but because with SBMM I don't have to wait 30 minutes for a match.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,058

It does make less sense.

I mean, I went against Otz a few days ago. And we can all agree that he has a high MMR, he will be at max MMR, there is no doubt.

One or two days afterwards, I went against Killers who were REALLY struggling. And not only with that Killer (it would be possible to be experienced, but new to the specific Killer), the general Killer gameplay felt off.

And such a jump in such a short amount of time... Does not really make sense.

• King_Rendal
    King_Rendal Member Posts: 18

I think MMR was much better than the old rank system for about the first month of its implementation. However, I think some serious flaws with the numbers or some matchmaking logic have clogged it up and now it's basically the same as old rank- just completely random.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    edited February 2022

The old system would have been better if they didn't dumb down pip requirements the lower rank you were.

I did a test to see how far i could derank as killer if i just 2 hooked everyone or slugged them all out of the game and i could not go past rank 9 without going full afk and earning no bp.

There would have been less bad players mixed in at red ranks and a better spread if they kept getting pips as hard as it was to hold rank 1 across the board, and the game would have been healthier as the old system promoted interacting with the killer and saving team mates.

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270

My answer

• KrazyKatFTW
    KrazyKatFTW Member Posts: 203

Yes , I liked the previous MM system better, i could find my comfort zone in purple and green ranks and mostly get good games, you could get a rough idea of the level of opponents you were playing.

In the old matchmaking every now and again i would get games where i felt like a god, i finally made it , i was one of the better DBD players and then be humbled in the end screen when i seen i was actually going against very low ranks......I needed that humbling, it helped me gage my the level of my own gameplay, i dont want to feel like a god beating up on new players which is what the new SBMM system give me for the most part.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,149

Before, it was all over the place. Now it is more faor, but certainly as time goes on we see the cracks in the system, due to the focus on escapes vs. deaths. It needs changing, but from my perspective it's better than before.

• Marihel
    Marihel Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2022

The old system was terrible, in my experience. I would hit red ranks all the time with ~100h, and have matches that were an absolute joke. I've actually stopped playing after 300h or so, because it just was THAT bad.

I was not good in chases, at all, I could only do gens and the game thought I was as good as a rank 1 killer with 900h+ or more hours. I would always stop playing every time I hit red ranks for months on end. It used to get so bad I would have rank 15 teammates with less than my playtime against such killers too, resulting in streaks of losses lasting days on end.

Ranking up was way too easy, the skill gap between red ranks survivors compared to killers was huge.

Now, as bad as some matches go, the game is actually playable. Some are still losses from the start, but I cannot expect the system to be 100% accurate. Regardless, the SBMM has actually improved my experience.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

If 20% of the people in queue are killers it works.

If it's less than 20% queued for the killer role the old system was better.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Worse. I got variety in the old system. Not too much at the end of the month, when everybody was red rank, but some. Now, it's just the same cookie cutter builds, the same cookie cutter strategies. Which just makes me wonder why the devs claim the game is casual, then push this.

• Pulsar

I played against Zubat and then against an Xbox Killer with 35 hours in the literal next match a month ago.

I am not as good as Zubat when I play Survivor, but I'm also not a 35 hour Survivor either.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955
    edited February 2022

no, Way better than the old system, i have yet to see a single complaint that couldnt also be attributed to the ranked based matchmaking.

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446

Though the emblem system is not perfect, it actually rewarded players for doing things and those players will be more likely to pip and que with each other. Unironically, it's better than this dumb mmr system that we have now. Never have I qued up with 50 hour survivors until after mmr and it still continues to happen.

My friends and I are pretty done stomping baby killers as well. I used to get really good survivors in maybe 15-20% of my games. Now it's a miracle if I get 1 a week or even a month.

• pizzaduffyhp90
    pizzaduffyhp90 Member Posts: 901

Yes way worse than the old one. As SBMM always is.

• Adaez
    Adaez Member Posts: 1,239
  • Pulsar

Yes, essentially.

It's currently balanced towards finding a match more so than finding a fair match and considering that Survivor queues are still 10+ minutes, I don't like to think about that being changed.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

Depending on the time of the day (which affects the ratio of killer survivor players in the queue). It can range from as bad as the old system to a lot better. So overall it is a better system. Just don't play during times when the survivor queue times are high. Also if a survivor player leaves the lobby I usually leave as well to search for a new lobby. According to the devs, in these cases the system is looking for a quick replacement instead of a good replacement, and I don't want a team with a quick replacement in it.

• Carrow
    Carrow Member Posts: 500
    edited February 2022

Worse. It was supposed to address lower level play, but it didn't do such a thing, it now pairs up people with 8 hours with killers that have 8000 hours. If you watch any big name streamer, you'll see that survivor mains who escape most of their matches go up against killers that you can literally spin around in the open 5 times, and killer mains are brutally massacring little baby survivors with maybe one looper that understands the basics just isn't good at it. It's an abysmal failure that would get you an F grade if you handed it in as your semester project in university.

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270

I mean my survivor search times actually take longer now no joke last night I waited 25 minutes to find a match solo que

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Way worse even when it works. Which is not the case right now

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

You could have the world's best MMR system, if there are too many survivors queueing and not enough killers you get long wait times.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,320

Much much worse

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

Previous one was one thousand times better

• Gigante
    Gigante Member Posts: 134
    edited February 2022

This system is HORRIBLE

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425

When its working no, when its not its the same as before. So considering at least sometimes its better than the old system, I can't call it worse.

Still bad tho.

• lkalin91
    lkalin91 Member Posts: 150

As flawed as it was, pip system was better at filtering out newbies and ppl who know a thing about the game. Too many times I get paired with ppl who barely have double digit hours, it's painful to see them crouch at every sound and sight ( also kind of adorable ngl )