What do you think of Scourge Hooks and Boons?

Options
Aurelle
Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Since Scourge Hooks and Boons are still kind of a new mechanic, what do you think about them?

Personally I like Scourge Hook perks as they reward the killer for hooking survivors. Boons are ok as far as how they work, but some of the effects could be adjusted to be more balanced (COH).

Comments

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

Scourge hooks are too RNG for me and I do not really care about hooks beyond farming bloodpoints.

Boons are pretty sick. I enjoy them.

• Vlarian
    Vlarian Member Posts: 162
    Options

Scourge hooks are very good. They (usually) have a strong effect, but sometimes may not occur because of RNG, or distance, but the killer simply taking longer to hook itself makes scourge's balanced. Boons on the other hand are also balanced, except for CoH. They need to completely re-do the perk . The effect is too strong and no matter how many nerfs it gets, it's the concept of the perk that's strong.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,998
    Options

Enjoy them both.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,616
    Options

Boons are super fragile since the base system of how they work pretty much necessitates that the perks themselves can't be that strong or they'd be straight up unfair. SS probably does this best while Exponential and Dark Theory are overall weak. COH needs to be nerfed again or reworked.

Scourge hooks I mostly like although I wish they couldn't all spawn on the same side of the map. But I guess that's the tradeoff for it/they're meant to be RNG. Gift of Pain needs a buff, Pain Resonance is fine, and Floods of Rage is most likely going to be fine.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    Options

Scourge Hook RNG needs to be a bit less potato--there's already risk in carrying someone to a more distant hook (and taking the time to do so), you don't need perks that can do nothing because the bulk of the game happened to take place on the wrong side of the map. Also, Pinhead's is pretty mediocre.

Boons still need some sort of actual counterplay or to take into account highly vertical maps. And CoH still needs changes.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,808
    Options

Both are fine, save for CoH. I do think basement hooks should be scourge hooks as well.

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660
    Options

Both are cool. There’s only one good scourge hook the new one sucks. A lot of people say that the 3 boons (exponential, shadow step, and dark something) are “balanced” but it’s really because they aren’t good and super situational. Why would anyone bring them in solo que. Circle of healing is the only good one. All it needs is a cool down of 60 or 70 seconds something like that. I like pain resonance and circle of healing

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660
    Options
  • BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    edited February 2022
    Options

I love both mechanics, however I think both still need some slight tweaks.

If a boon is getting snuffed the survivor who previously blessed it will have a 60 sec cooldown on that perk(s). A different survivor can still boon that same totem, its just to prevent that the same guy comes back and starts blessing it again the second the killer leaves.

And I think that once you sacrifice a survivor on a scourged hook, a new one should become scourged. That wouldnt just prevent that you cuck your own perk but also opens up a new way of strategy to that perk cuz you can "move" a scourged hook from a ######### area if you get the chance.

But speaking of the base idea I love both of them, great idea and well made from the devs.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,649
    Options

One is completely ranged based and also breaks if a survivor dies on it the other can be place unlimited amount of times at one of 5 locations of there choice. Tell me why killers can make there own scourge hooks.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,600
    Options

There's a surprising amount of people in this discussion who actually know how to spell "scourge" hook.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

I think they are both kinda meh ideas.

Scourge hooks are kinda underwhelming and heavily RNG dependent they have their uses but its not meta changing.

Boons are just survivor undying with up to 4x the effect rolled into it which is a stupid design. Also its not really meta changing because everyone just runs the same 1v1 perks still and then adds in COH.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

I dislike both of them.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

Boons need a universal cooldown after they've been snuffed (and COH needs to be disassembled at subatomic levels). Scourge Hooks imho are great and encourage more strategic hooking - do you get value from the perks now and have higher downtime, risking a survivor die on the hook and no value can be gained, or do you save that for later and minimise your downtime now to go defend that gen? I love it.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

I'm pretty neutral about Scourge Hooks. I'm not a fan of ferrying survivors around hoping I can reach one, and so far the only one I'd value enough to bring is Pain Resonance. Even then it's just a different version of Pop.

Boons are, in my opinion, the worst addition to the game in the last few years. They dominate the game, dictate how the killer must play, and CoH outclasses every other healing perk they've added sincethe start, so you're literally playing the game wrong if you bring one of the others instead. It should be an option for healing, not the correct option.

Boons in general are just a terrible decision. Survivors already have so many perks over the killer that there is no need for perks which also grant extra perks to everyone on the team. Their time-dynamic was poorly calculated, and even BHVR realises at this point that they're exceptionally strong, that's why we got ones like the one in the ring chapter, because they realise if they put anything worth a damn on a boon, it breaks the game, so it has to be such a low value that it isn't worth bringing in the first place. There's really no middle ground for good boons.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

Scourge should apply to all hooks. There are games where you can't even use your perk because the game put them in the far corners of the map away from everything. Even better when they are all on one side of the map and the survivors just never go near it for the entire game.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

Scourge hook is RNG mechanics and boons are guaranteed free team wide buff for free, as always.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

I mean if scourge hook applies to all hooks, it has no reason to be scourge hook.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933
    edited February 2022
    Options

I don't really like either of the mechanics to be honest. I don't strongly dislike them either though. Guess I'm mostly neutral about them

• ThePolice
    ThePolice Member Posts: 801
    Options

Love them both, except the killer should always be able to hear a boon if in the range and obv COH is op

scourge hooks need the effect of basement hooks ALSO counting as scourge hooks, and have them respawn if broken by a dead surv

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513
    Options

for mechanics added along side each other, they aren't even close in terms of strength.

CoH needs some more nerfs, but the others aren't too bad.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

I like both of them.

• NOEDENJOYER
    NOEDENJOYER Member Posts: 237
    Options

I like the mechanics of both.

My only problem with a Scourge Hook is that you can't manually choose where to put the four of them.

Boons are great, love them. The only problem is that COH is the single most oppressive survivor perk atm that soils the entire mechanic.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

Scourge hooks are mostly ok, but I think Pain Resonance needs to be dialed back a ton. It's way too powerful on a good player.

Same thing with boons. Mostly ok in concept, but I think they're an issue in edge cases when they're optimized. They're pretty busted on multi-level maps because their effective range doubles.

They cause 4ks as much as they lead to escapes because many survivors think exit gates are powered with boon totems instead of generators. So there's honestly a frustration component to them on both sides, solo queue and killer.

I don't think either Scourge Hooks or Boons are designed with high MMR players in mind, which to me is a bit of an issue in the mechanic design and numbers behind some of the perks.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,952
    Options

Scourge hook kinda saved killer gameplay for me. Sure, they can be a bit RNG dependend, but most of the time you can somehow get to one. And Pain Resonance allows you a much more fluid playstyle, ie hook somebody and pressure a gen, while also giving you a new objective (get to that gen over there and possibly the survivor who screamed), doubling as some anti-tunneling that is actually fun as the killer.

I am just a bit miffed about Gift of Pain. Coming from Pinhead it could be so cool, but its the most underwhelming of the three scourge hooks.

I would want Gift of Pain to be permanent and to stack. So if you get hooked twice you got a 18% penalty and would actually FEEL the pain. But for the killer it might be actually good to spread the pain around. That the mediocre 9% of the base perk go away after getting hit again never felt right, to me, either. Such a weird perk.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

Scourge hooks need to have a minimum distance between them, I got two on the top level of Eyrie’s the other day, never even had to go up there during the trial.

Boons are a neat mechanic, but if they’re going to get nerfed, it should just be a reasonable cool down before they can be placed again.

• AGM
    AGM Member Posts: 806
    Options

Scourge Hooks are great, but Pain Resonance could use a slight nerf (to make it 12 or 13% regression), and the other perks could use a slight buff.

Boons are great, but CoH could still use another nerf (to make it 66% increased heal speed). Shadow Step is fine, Exponential needs a buff or tertiary effect, and Dark Theory is still a question mark (but I'm leaning towards underpowered).

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Scourge Hooks are great, no complaints at all about them from me! 🙂 They encourage you to take a little extra risk carrying someone a farther distance in exchange for a better benefit.

I general like Boons in principle as a killer. I think they add an interesting element to the game. Circle of Healing is probably still somewhat overpowered but the others aren’t. And even though I’m a killer main I like the idea of having little side objectives for me to think about like the Boons and breakable walls, it makes the game more fun for me keeping an eye out for those things.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,785
    Options

Love the scourge hooks. Killers only get value from them if they get hooks so any benefit they get from them is very much earned.

Boons, particularly COH, still need some nerfing.

• gammatsunami
    gammatsunami Member Posts: 545
    Options

all hooks should be scourge hooks or atleast basement. And COH needs a rework

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

I enjoy the Scourge mechanic. Spices things up.

Boons, on the other hand, are a patch job that need a solid counter. I just don't understand the devs thinking that 'undying needs to be nerfed as its too difficult for survivors to find five totems,' yet on the other hand 'lets give survivors infinite boons that the killer can only stomp, not break.'

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,077
    Options

Scourge hooks are the best new addition we've gotten. Only minor issue is the rng for selecting hooks can completely ignore an entire side of the map.

Boons are fundamentally problematic perks as long as the devs insist of not letting the killer being able to destroy them. It'll just lead to every boon perk having low numbers or niche effects that no one will run them instead of being more like survivor hexes.

• Belzher
    Belzher Member Posts: 432
    Options

I like the idea of both but the execution (and the numbers) is weirdly executed by the company right now. They need to change some things related to balance.