Boons, should be destroyable?

Options
Petforces
Petforces Member Posts: 42

SHOULD BOONS BE DESTROYABLE. I SEE SOME PEOPLE SAY NO, CAUSE IT WOULD MAKE THEM "WORTHLESS" BUT IS THAT NOT JUST THE SAME AS A HEX PERK? IF THE KILLER TAKES A HEX PERK, YOU CAN DESTROY IT, SO WHATS THE DIFFERENCE. IF IM PLAYING SURVIVOR OR KILLERS ALL I SEE IS BOON: CIRCLE OF HEALING, AND I FEEL THE KILLER REALLY HAS NO COUNTER PLAY TO IT. SO MAYBE EITHER LET THEM BE DESTROYABLE OR MAKE HEX PERKS WORK LIKE BOONS, AND THEN THE KILLER AND SURVIVOR CAN JUST TAKE TURNS HEXING AND BOONING.

(SOMEHOW EVERYTHING GOT SWITCHED TO CAPS, AND IM NOT RETYPING IT ALL LOL)

Boons, should be destroyable? 94 votes

YES
48%
CetrenWalterBlackKaanaMiriamGMementoMori_Massacreanarchy753JawsIsTheNextKillerpizzaduffyhp90List_of_concernsBloodartistmusstang62MrPenguinAhoyWolfGeneralVGlamourousLeviathanKeiraaThe_Grim_Reaper99Robotfangirl67ValikElcopollo 46 votes
NO
17%
OnryosTapeRentalsSkeletalElitemaximo99acPepsidotTatariudugmanReverseVelocityMileena_KahnGuiltiiTheHunter2529Nathan13jesterkindbrentoItsJesseFFSElleGreenSammy22 16 votes
COH, JUST NEEDS MAJOR NERFS
17%
Seiko300VolantConch1719FeryGENMazoobitenoresaxlandromatglitchboiNoOneKnowsNovaGannTMPSPBubbaDredgeThatOneDemoPlayerGarlicRice[Deleted User]DyingWish92BothSidesEnjoyer 16 votes
MAKE HEX'S WORK LIKE BOONS, AND THEY CAN JUST TAKE TURNS FIGHTING OVER TOTEMS.
17%
LaMupfelbrokedownpalacekaterinaraeMattie_MayhemOGFilthyLegionMainThePoliceHex_LlamaThat_One_FriendNico_0GazgemauchD4M4VR1CKRipleyStarrseedPyramidHeadsSlaveGamerzilla2018MoraFlex 16 votes

Comments

• Petforces
    Options
    YES

My problem with COH, is It give self care to the TEAM, which Claudette has a perk that just does that to her. And it speeds up healing, which there is a perk that does that. So its 2 perks in 1, and for the whole team. and cannot be stopped except by "doing bones" that they just put right back up. And this is a part I don't think to many people think about, it also severely hurts all Hex totems, since now all survivors are just running around booning all totems.

The only other thought I had was make it longer to Boon and resurrect them. Like make it 28 seconds, double the time of destroying them?

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,118
    Options
    NO

I am once again reminding everyone that CoH is not the only boon perk, and any nerfs one thinks of to try and bring CoH in line must consider how that nerf would affect the other boon perks.

Since CoH is so strong mostly because it ignores the way boons normally work (requiring the killer to be nearby), nerfing boons as a concept isn't going to do all that much to fix CoH and it'll ruin the other three. You have to fix the perk, not the mechanic.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,782
    Options

If they can be permanently broken then make their effects map wide. Otherwise they'd be useless.

CoH just needs to have the self care ability removed while reverting to the 100% heal speed boost.

• Crit
    Crit Member Posts: 42
    Options
    YES

Saying no is just being a #########

• Petforces
    Options
    YES

I agree though, The other boons are not the problem ATM, but more could be. But man COH needs something more drastic done to it. Maybe just pick 1 of its effect, Either self care (I would still not like this) or keep just the team healing faster. Or as I have seen suggested, maybe a cooldown. After someone heals with this boon it deactivated for 60 seconds.

• TheHunter2529
    TheHunter2529 Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2022
    Options
    NO

To be honest, I'm a killer main and now that COH has had a nerf already I think it's fine. Having the ability to put up your boons 1 time as a survivor would make all the boon perks useless and nobody would bring it.

Post edited by TheHunter2529 on
  • Petforces
    Options
    YES

Boons, should probable be global, if they can be destroyed, to balance it out.

I was just thinking though. COH also premotes tunneling in a way. If you know, that an injured person has a 100% chance to just run off and be healed in 10 seconds, Why would you not chase that person down?

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,636
    Options
    NO

Boons just need a minute cooldown after the killer snuffs the totem.

• Ripley
    Ripley Member Posts: 866
    Options

I chose last option as I think it could make the game more fun.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options
    YES

There should be a limited amount of times a boom can be relit or lit, and when those are gone the Boon is destroyed for good.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2022
    Options

Again, absolutely agree ^

The idea that you can balance Boon totems exactly like you balance Hex: Totems is absolutely ridiculous on a multitude of levels. Not only would you be gutting the boons which are reasonably balanced right now (Shadow Step, Exponential, I hear Dark Theory isn't too crazy right now in PTB but we'll see when that goes live, etc.), but you're also treating Boons disproportionately to Hex: Totems.

Think about how Boons are balanced. They were created with multiple Visual and Audio cues in mind so as to PURPOSEFULLY make them easier to discover during a match, as opposed to their darker, hidden, and sinister Hex counterparts. Boon totems are meant to be bright, and attract attention, and the hope that they bring can be snuffed out but relit again. So not only does this idea not work balance wise but it fundamentally contrasts the thematic intentions of the perk.

Not only that, but Boons also have a limited range, whether or not that range is too large or just right is up to plenty debate but the fact of the matter is they are LIMITED.

If boons are going to be treated exactly like hex's I FULLY EXPECT them to be treated like Hex's in EVERY RESPECT. That means zero audio cues, zero visual cues, and zero range limitations. If you aren't willing to commit to your own ideology in this way, then I would say such rhetoric absolutely mistreats boons and only seeks to nerf them into the ground purely out of an intense and thoughtless bias; rather than engage with the mechanic on an intellectually equal playing field as a valid and interesting mechanic.

COH is unbalanced, I absolutely agree. But this is NOT a reference point to say "all boons are therefore unbalanced" that line of logic just doesn't hold up under any kind of actual scrutiny. You cannot possibly convince me that Boon: Exponential is a powerful, much less broken and overpowered perk, and yet you somehow need to justify this in order to push the idea that all boons including exponential should be one-time activation perks.

A widespread change like this does not work because boons do not have suffer from widespread problems, which is what necessitates such a broad brushstrokes change. COH is the ONLY perk anyone ever remotely complains about, and there are PLENTY of solutions to solve that issue that also maintain the integrity of what boons as a whole are meant to be as unique mechanics in their own right.

• GarlicRice
    GarlicRice Member Posts: 118
    Options

No, because a hex covers the entire map like NOED, or Ruin affecting all gens. Boon totems only cover the specific area they are set up in.

I do think the boons need more nerfs though or something like a token system.

. Have to do something to gain tokens (maybe like you have to do altruistic actions for COH tokens or something)

. Only so many tokens per match (that way people wouldn't be able to constantly relight a totem once the killer snuffs it out. They would have to use their tokens wisely.

• Petforces
    Options
  • AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,015
    Options

Mclean said that boons are an alternative objective for survivors that can hinder or help. Its healthy for the game, the issue is circle of healing might be too oppressive. Its not as oppressive as before but there can still be work added.

I personally believe the totem snuff speed should be a little faster, and killers can also see the blue subtle flame effects just like survivors.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274
    Options
    YES

I personally believe that boons not have their own 'blessing' action - but will automatically bless the first totem that you 'cleanse' - which prevents it from breaking. When the totem is snuffed by the killer, it is destroyed and turned into bones - as usual.

For this, the totem must not be made visible to all survivors. It must have greatly reduced audio and perhaps a complete change to the sound it emanates within its shortened range.

I fully believe that survivors should hold powerful perks that, like hex perks, can be destroyed as a gambling addition to the game.

That CoH perk can be super strong and grant multiple health states to the team, but one the killer takes the time to find and snuff it - it's gone. Survivors will have to be more deliberate with their placement and timing to maximize their benefit.

In addition, making it so that boon totems automatically apply blessing on the first complete cleansing will allow the perks to best synergize with other perks that increase cleansing speed.

There is no killer main that would feel bad if someone went a boon build so long as they could snuff out that totem if they should find it without a loud audio sound.

• Valik
    Options
    YES

The gains that NOED or RUIN bring, while having potential, are nowhere near the potential of CoH specifically. Especially when used across 4 survivors.

Killers have 1 perk slot, survivors have 4. There is no map in the game that will not be covered if all survivors have active boon totems at the same time.

In addition - each killer has about a 40% of their perk being adjacent to a survivor spawn point at the start of a match. Especially at high ranks, many hex perks are cleansed before they can be of any effectual use, this is the gamble. Survivors, however, can pick and choose when and where their blessings are placed - which can be costly to killers to an extreme degree. If you place the boon on the third floor of the library in RPD, the killer simply cannot afford to travel the distance to snuff it - especially if you re-boon it once more. By choosing where and when with discretion - survivors harbor an extreme benefit that can all but guarantee value - unlike Hex totems which are at a profound risk at all times of the game.

• Valik
    Options
    YES

Very true.

But I will remind you that multiple people will run the perk. If you make the boons global - you will run into issues of their perceived benefits becoming redundant. If someone wants to bless a totem at that point, it would be a waste. In addition - it would become all the more difficult for killers to extrapolate the location of the totem through map awareness.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,357
    edited February 2022
    Options
    YES

There's not 3 other killers looking around the map to find the boons while you're in chase like survivors have for hexes, nor are there perks to help find totems on the killer side. A killer can search the map at roughly 1/4 the speed the survivors can and during that time they will be doing nothing else. Meanwhile survivors can split between chase, gens, and totem search. Killers were already on a time crunch before boons let alone after. Survivors have numbers and time on their side.

Its an asym game, the survivor perks should be weaker than a killer perk, not on the same level. Boons should not be as strong as hexes. For 1/16 perk slots you effect the entire team, meanwhile the killer uses 1/4th.

Post edited by MrPenguin on
  • Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2022
    Options

Exactly. That is what makes "treating boons like Hex's" so dumb, my point was to illustrate how foolish the idea was and you just reiterated that point perfectly. Boons shouldn't be treated like Hex's in any respect whatsoever.

• Petforces
    Options
    YES

Feel's bad as Legion lol.

• ThePolice
    ThePolice Member Posts: 801
    Options

Can’t, bones come back

• tesla
    tesla Member Posts: 446
    Options
    YES

It would not make it worthless, they can find another totem and very rarely the killer will have time to break 5 totems (which would be enough usage anyway).

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options
    NO

The only issue I have with Boons currently is positioning yourself to snuff them is sometimes a bit fiddly. Occasionally the totem is squished between a couple of objects and you have to get yourself just-so to be able to look at it the right way to get the prompt to snuff it out.

Beyond that though the general system is fine. CoH is overpowered, though maybe a bit less so than before its nerf (hard to tell since there’s no data publicly available). The other Boons so far range from ok to kind of meh.

Also I think the devs are missing out right now on exploring the design space of killer perks that interact with Boons and totems. For instance, perks that

• Let you hear a Boon noise much further away and/or see a totem’s aura if you’re in a short range of it.
    • Block all totems for X seconds when you snuff a Boon
    • Give a killer tokens that build up stackable bonuses to movement speed and action speed every time they snuff a Boon
    • Shows the killer the aura or killer instinct of the survivor who placed a Boon for a while, or shows all survivor auras for a somewhat shorter time
    • Allows a killer to interact with any dull or hex totem to block it for X seconds

That’s just off the top of my head, the main thing is there’s probably a bunch of perks that could be fun for killers to try that make snuffing Boons or interacting with totems a bit more interesting for them.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,093
    Options
    YES

I think it'd be fine if killers destroy boon totems BUT with perks like Pentimento killers shouldn't be able to then rebuild it - killer destroying it should be considered the same as 2nd cleanse by survivor.

• Petforces
    Options
    YES

It's got to be one of the most used perks, I see it every game.

• List_of_concerns
    List_of_concerns Member Posts: 182
    Options
    YES

The fix is pretty simple. Just make them function exactly like Hex Totems.

1. Make Boon Totems breakable
    2. Make Boon Totem effects global (map wide)
    3. Remove the audio from Boon Totems (so they are just as easy/difficult to find as Hex Totems)
  • MrPenguin
    edited March 2022
    Options
    YES

Survivor perks shouldn't be as strong as killer perks. The killer can't have 4 ruins and 4 undying and 4 people to split the work between. Boons should not be equal to hexes.

• List_of_concerns
    edited March 2022
    Options
    YES

I mean... isn't the current sentiment that Boons are actually BETTER than Hex Perks? At least those changes would actually bring them in line with each other.

Also, the break would be as fast as the snuff and even the slow Killers move much faster than survivors. It's not like you can't learn totem spawns.

And, one more again... lmao. It may be 4 players searching for the Hex, but only one of them can actually break it.

• MrPenguin
    edited March 2022
    Options
    YES

yes they are better, thats part of the problem. Sure that action would be technically better, but we should be aiming to solve the issue not just slightly improve it. CoH got nerfed, is it better? Yes. Is it still a problem? Also yes.

Moving 10-15% faster doesnt make up for up to 4 survivors searching, which would be 400% (100 x 4 survivors). Even just 2 is 200%, way faster than a killer.

Sure 1 can break it while 2 get on gens and the other is running the killer, if the killer searches for the hex thats literally all their side is doing.

Boons should be weaker than hexes, not equal or better.

Post edited by MrPenguin on
  • List_of_concerns
    Options
    YES

We're on the same side of the argument. I agree that B:CoH can be a little problematic (especially when it's combined w/ other healing items/perks.

I'm just trying to be reasonable and suggest some functionality that already exists, and it better than the way it currently functions. Copy/paste is kind of how they roll for 9 months out of the year.

If it makes you feel any better, I just bring Botany Knowledge and a brown med-kit. It's a faster heal and I don't have to walk across the map for 90s to be in range of the stupid thing.

• MrPenguin
    Options
    YES

Alright that's understandable. It just sucks we have to settle for copy/paste to even maybe potentially see something a little better :(