Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Practice Mode, Framerate/Resolution, and MMR: from a brand new player perspective

Is there a way to practice the killers other than actual games? I figured a game that requires lots of practice and muscle memory would have one. I dont have any friends that play so I cant do custom games. I want to practice billy beacuse i dont understand the hit box on his chainsaw charge. The tutorial has bots but you can only be the trapper.

MMR: My first game was against two Iridescent players (I-1 TTV streamer and an I-3) rest were golds. I'm ash 4, and my first five or so games I played against highly skilled players. It seems to be working now after I did really badly. I even won 3 games in a row but I have a suspicion they were letting me win. Also some of the survivors appear to glitch out and constantly crouch up and down. It really breaks the immersion of the game.

Framerate- How do you adjust the framerate? my monitor is 144hz and I'm getting 60fps.

Resolution- how do you adjust the resolution? I also have a 4k 60hz monitor and when I use it the game clearly is not in 4k. All i see in the settings is a really simplified slider for performance vs quality.

I got this game yesteryday and played all night, having tons of fun so far on PC.

Comments

• TrickyNoobAsh4
    TrickyNoobAsh4 Member Posts: 25

@Pulsar thanks for the response. I figured with this game being 6 years old and constantly updated they would have added the features by now.

Oh well must be a small dev team or they just dont have the time from working on new events and chapters. cheers.

• JoByDaylight
    JoByDaylight Member Posts: 707

Welcome to the community. Hope you get to enjoy the game :)

What you are asking for have been repeatedly asked about for years but it is not something the developers will have ready in the foreseeable future.

As for the practice part. Playing games (a lot of them) is the only way to improve. You can also watch tutorials online which helped me a lot in the beginning.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,609

No

Don't sweat it, it's not working properly. When the queue is too long, anybody can verse anybody. About the "glitching" : survivors crouching up and down repeatedly is usually them BMing. (If it's only once or twice, it can mean anything. This includes "hello" and "thanks".) The really bad thing in my opinion is that they can turn faster they can move (like almost instant 180, I will not get into the details as of why) and it looks unreal.

The game uses the resolution and refresh rate of your desktop.

Enjoy it while you can. Check Otzdarva, Tru3talent, Ohtofu, CoconutRTS, Zubatlel, PainReliever, Int3r4ct, ... to get more insight. Some of them have detailed tutorials.

• TrickyNoobAsh4
    edited February 2022

@drsoontm gotcha, I think its becuase I have two monitors hooked up. Thats good to know I can probably fix that now. (one is 4k 60 the other is 1080p 144)

So far the game is pretty fun and addicting, and my que times are almost INSTANT. I only payed 20$ for this game and It is definitly worth that probably more.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Yes, you would think that. Especially considering this game isn't...graphically intense.

They are a fairly large team now, nobody's really sure why simply QoL features aren't being implemented more often.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Killer queue times will remain instant for the foreseeable future. There are far too few Killers.

Survivor queues are upwards of 10 minutes for me and my friends.

Likewise, there will come a point where you'll want DLC. Buy it on sale or use the free in-game currency. The game with all DLC is over 150 USD, iirc.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Is there a way to practice the killers other than actual games?

• Unfortunately not. The mobile version of Dead by Daylight lets you play custom games against the bots, and is free to play, so if you have a tablet you can try the killers out there if you want against the bots just to see how they work or to explore the maps, etc. Just keep in mind the controls are very different on the mobile version (I find the mobile controls on killer very difficult to use in a chase personally) so you wouldn't be gaining any muscle memory and so forth. But it's still an option if you want to fiddle around without going against humans.

MMR: My first game was against two Iridescent players (I-1 TTV streamer and an I-3) rest were golds.

• Yeah, when you first create an account it rates you in the hidden MMR as an average player or maybe a little below average. I think they do it that way because the game has no idea if you're actually a brand new player or just someone making a new account for whatever reason? 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, like you said, once you've lost a couple of games you should see easier opponents on average. However, note that regardless of your MMR, if a player leaves a game lobby before the match starts, it will just grab whoever is available at the moment to fill the gap so it doesn't have the remaining four players waiting in the lobby forever for a match. Which means even if you're a new player with a really low MMR, if you happen to be waiting for a game when that happens you could end up getting into a match against higher level players. (So it's not that it's giving you the wrong hidden rating, it's that it's pretty much ignoring the rating altogether in that scenario to not have long waits in the lobby.)

Framerate- Resolution

• Not my expertise but it looks like if you use NVIDIA Geforce that Dead by Daylight uses your default resolution. (Snapshot from my PC showing 3840 x 2160)

• Real_RUBB3R
    Real_RUBB3R Member Posts: 98

As far as I know, the way you set your framerate above 60 is by going to AppData>Local>DeadByDaylight>Saved>Config>WindowsNoEditor and open the file "GameUserSettings". Look for a line that says "FrameRateLimit" and it should be set to 0.000000. Just change the 0 before the decimal to whatever you want as your highest framerate. After this, look for a line that says "bUseVSync" and set it to False, it should be set to True. There's also "ResolutionSizeX/Y" but I don't know if you should tinker with that at all, the res of my monitor is 1920x1080 but my file has it set to 1792x952 for some reason. Something you should also probably do after making these changes is going into the properties of the file, and tick the "Read-only" box, that should prevent the game from automatically setting the cap back to 60 if you're having issues with that.

• TrickyNoobAsh4

@dugman Wow, really appreciate the info. honestly i wasnt expecting anyone to respond to this. And i have a great first impression of the community! Yeah i use g force so i should be able to fix the resolution and frame by unlpugging one of my monitors that im not playing. Theres probably a better way but that should do the trick.

after playing several games my matches have been a lot more easy/fair for being a totally new player. Being new, i only had 2 or 3 perks. So most games like league of legends for example lets you buy xp boosts so you can catch up to the other players. I dont think this game has that.

I hate phone games so I probably wont do that. Thats very odd that the phone version has bots and the actual game doesnt? MY theory is that the devs dont want players hand testing the game for bugs to exploit. But damn it would be so nice to experiment with the game mechanics and test the width of all the hitboxes. Espesically since with it being first person it can sometimes feel hard to gauge the range of the attacks (or how close or far away I actually am). Like i wanted to test the things like if you start up the attack will it still hit if you turn around.. and how wide the chainsaw is and if making a sharp turn for a down is possible.

• TrickyNoobAsh4

@Pulsar

Yeah I was thinking about buying the 70$ version but i dont think I want to take the time to learn all the characters.illl keep an eye out for sales and I'll just buy the ones I want. I picked billy bc he was listed as easy but his chainsaw is really hard to control, but a simple mechanic. I was watching otzdarva and felt a little overwhelmed about all the "meta" add ons and perks. Im just gonna enjoy tthe game for what it is now.

• TrickyNoobAsh4

@Real_RUBB3R thanks for getting that information for me conviently. and thanks for taking time to help a new guy out! 😁

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Regarding the mobile game having bots and PC not, the mobile version was developed from the ground up by its own development team long after the PC game was out. So presumably they were able to plan ahead for things like bots which the PC version apparently isn’t set up to implement as neatly.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,761

If you feel like you want to buy older characters, wait for a new chapter to be released (or just Anniversary in general). There's a lot of sales on this game, particularly older content, so to get the best value for money if you wait for new chapters then you'll likely be able to purchase them on like a 50% discount.