The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What's less enjoyable/more frustrating?

NoOneKnowsNova
NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,785

Simple short question. Between killer and solo survivor, which of these is more frustrating to play, or in other words, which would you prefer not to play between the two.

What's less enjoyable/more frustrating? 63 votes

Killer is less enjoyable/more frustrating
60%
GibberishSeiko300WalterBlackKaanaF60_31ReikoMoriAetherByteskaterinaraemusstang62MrPenguinAhoyWolfGlamourousLeviathanValikTatariuBassTramChurchofPigsteponmeadirisKateDunsonCheeseAntonHex_Llama 38 votes
Solo survivor is less enjoyable/more frustrating
39%
CetrenTapeKnotAven_FallenList_of_concernsoxygenanonymous31337bm33dugmanNoOneKnowsNovaDoritoHeadHerachi_SakuraGuiltiiPSPD4M4VR1CKTricksters_WifeGarlicRice[Deleted User]DRSPHILAdeKlaw_04Xendritch 25 votes

Comments

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

Nothing in DBD is frustrating/upsetting for me. I have equal good fun with solo survivor, SWF, and killer.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

I was once a killer main.

Solo que as survivor isn't all that bad. Sure you get sandbagged or body blocked - maybe a player DCs or a killer tunnels. But that happens from time to time. Regardless of it all, even on bad maps and poor matchups - I still always feel a relative sense of control. When the killer is chasing someone else, I have the power to pick the generators or what objectives to pursue. Survivors have access to powerful perks and items that often allow them to secure an advantageous position over the killer - and even with complete strangers, it is often that these are used effectively enough to make the match worth while.

As a killer, I often feel helpless. Survivors make the same power plays with meta perks - or bring the odd off-meta build that still works as they are supported by a team. While chasing and mind games are fun at times, it never fails to feel as though the deck is stacked against you. Survivors always have an out, always have second chances, always have the upper hand - it is your responsibility to play flawlessly enough to steal their momentum and arrest it for yourself. This, at its core, is not a fun mentality, and degrades one's mood after a short while - in my experiences.

You may 'win' as a survivor by escaping, or holding the killer as your team persists and survives. You may even 'lose' as the killer prevents your plays and obliterates your team. But regardless, there's always the semblance of control and power in the hands of survivors that makes the gameplay more worthwhile. The game is yours to squander.

You may 'lose' as a killer by having more than a couple of survivors make it out of the trial. You may even 'win' as a killer by attaining more than 2 sacrifices, or killing every single survivor in the match. But regardless of how well or unwell you play the part - you enter the game at a severe disadvantage, and the only power that you have in the game is what you can forcefully take from the other players. The game doesn't belong to you, and the developers are keen on reminding you of this aspect. If you are not fast enough, smart enough, careful enough, or efficient enough - you cannot hope to take the power of the trial away from the other players.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Killer is more frustrating to me.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,269

Generally, I find both enjoyable - but as a killer i always feel like its more up to me who i get matched with. I go for chill and kill, just wanna have a good time, do some chasing and hooking. nothing sweaty - and idgaf about MMR. That happens to put me exactly where I want to be: playing whatever killer with whatever perks; just do what I feel like and out of 10 matches there is one super boring one with super baby survivors and one gen-rushed or otherwise out-of-my-league match. The others are a chill kind of balanced resulting on average in 2k.

With survivor on the other hand.... if you do the same thing (not go meta and/or swf) it will not land you in some kind of sweet spot. If you don't have some kind of lucky streak with matchmaking you end up in a lobby you dont belong in more often than not. Be that because the team-killer balance is way off or because you are way above/below the teams average resulting in you being screwed one way or the other and having little to no fun in many matches in a row.

gotta add tho that I'm far from high rank and all that "sweaty" play idea. Not what i enjoy, not what I play. I play to have fun and I generally enjoy the surv gameplay more - but as killer its easier for me to actually have fun. So...tie, I guess?

• BassTram
    BassTram Member Posts: 195

MMR has made it very difficult to enjoy killer. I either have to play with all the meta perks, strong killers and be super sweaty or try to mix it up and have some fun but know that I'll get destroyed...

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I've never really liked playing survivor. There's a lot of downtime on gens and hooks and on the ground and I don't like the third person perspective as much. Plus all the survivors are the same character but with different perks, killers have way more variety. And I play the game solo and the killer is the one that's built for solo play more than the survivor side is.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Killer is way more stressful than Survivor, but Survivor is more boring

• Tricksters_Wife
    Tricksters_Wife Member Posts: 545

One-trick Trickster main here! I'm currently in high MMR with ≈1k hours and I have a blast playing Trickster. It's fun playing and performing well with a non-meta killer such as him.

Tbh he's the reason why I now lean more as a killer main. I'm always having fun with him. Even in those few matching I'm falling way behind, it encourages me to continue trying hard to get back ahead of the game, which happens a good portion of the time :)

Solo survivor is just boring to me for the most part, or not really engaging like playing killer is. Survivor is only truly fun when I'm playing with my SWF.

• shinobu149
    shinobu149 Member Posts: 142

Survovirs are getting mire toxic and doesnt care there is another person on the other side they make me just wanna leave the game everything is handed to them

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,047

Easy choice.

If I play Killer, I know the person who is responsible for messing up. It is me.

As Solo Survivor, I can have 3 people not knowing anything and I dont have any control over them. And nothing will fix it (even if the Devs will come up with additional information in the UI aka "Who is getting chased?" and "Who is working on Gens?", this does not mean that players will actually react accordingly...).

In fact, I dont play Solo Survivor anymore. I only play SWF with a Friend, if I am alone and I want to play DBD, I play Killer.

• Kaana
    Kaana Member Posts: 50

Lately it feels like playing killer is very frustrating since I keep getting stuck against subtle cheaters that have like a faster running speed then other survivors, can instant unhook or phase through walls when I lose line of sight. I've got like 2 pages worth of clips and reports submitted already from this week alone but it feels like their numbers never drop. (╯=▃= )╯︵┻━┻

• List_of_concerns
    List_of_concerns Member Posts: 182

I feel like this is MY MOMENT as a 4500hr+ solo queue player. (I've SWF less than 100 trials. Of those trials, approximately half of them were played without external communication.)

Killer mains, I'll give you Dead Hard. It's busted af and is capable of hard carrying a team, especially if you don't play w/ one shot mechanics. Dealing with that in almost every single trial has to take a toll on your mental well-being.

With that being said, solo queue can be and often is absolute pandemonium. If you think Killer is "less enjoyable/more frustrating" than solo queue survivor, I fear for your sanity and your safety. Truly, I do.

We've all experienced a loss. As Killer, you typically lose due to micro plays (chase/second chance PERKS). In solo queue, it doesn't matter if they've got the meta PERKS equipped or not. These folks can throw the match regardless, and there are no gameplay mechanics that alleviate the HOPELESSNESS of a survivor player dying early, quitting, disconnecting, kilting themselves on first hook, etc. What do all of these things have in common? THEY ARE NOT PERKS. THEY ARE DECISIONS. Decisions are macro plays.

Also, if you're experiencing a dry-spell (string of back-to-back losses) on Killer, you can just bring some busted af add-ons and a black ward and fix that shtuff right way.

YOU CAN'T DO THE SAME THING IN SOLO QUEUE AS SURVIVOR. IF THE OTHER SURVIVORS WANT TO THROW, YOUR TRIAL IS GOING IN THE TRASH.

For the non-believers: Equip Bond, Kindred, and Open-Handed. Behold the less than desirable gameplay of others. Question reality. Break things. Now, return to this post.

This not an episode of "Change My Mind" either. This is the cold hard truth, and it hurts.

Try to remember this when you decide to bring some busted add-ons or camp as The Cannibal: We solo players have it infinitely worse than you do. Now, kindly leave me to my suffering.

• List_of_concerns
    List_of_concerns Member Posts: 182

What the actual... ?

"i mean 90% of my games are 4k and i've almost never had a game with 0 or 1 kills cant think of one the last 3 months atleast."

Yeah... must be really frustrating winning 90% of the time. Let's compare that to my ~33% escape rate in solo queue. Yup... WOW. Just wow.

• ItsJesseFFS
    ItsJesseFFS Member Posts: 100

Survivor in general is frustrating. Can be stressful even if you're playing with friends, especially when you + all your friends are casual players. And not the least bit competitive.