This killer meta is so boring

I know what 90% of the killers will have: bbq, pain resonance and dead man's switch. Every game is the same, see a downed one, stop working on the gen cause pain resonance, if you know you are safe continue without triggering dead man's if not leave the gen, rinse and repeat. There's a counter to it and not always its a successful build, it's a strong one but if you know what you're doing its easily countered.

The thing is, I'm not even complaining it's strong or unfair it's just SO BORING and repetitive cause its game after game :/

SURPRISE ME KILLERS

Comments

• MissBehavingX
    MissBehavingX Member Posts: 493

I rather have a ruin-undying killer that will make me go around looking for totems than just sit and wait at the gens.

I could say the same about survivors there are SO MANY perks that you would consider meta, there's more variety in survivors than killers nowadays. I would've agreed a few months ago, but now most killers run that basic build

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

i have lots of fun with bbq, agitation, starstruck pain res as well as lethal pursuer, bbq, no way out and NOED. Yeah ok, BBQ might be old hat, but it's just too useful for me to take off. I can't help it.

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited March 2022

also, if you're still leveling killers/survivors in the game, that bonus BP is fantastic! Hell, Most of the time I equip it, I don't even care about the information side, just as long as I get all 4 stacks of that delicious BBQ&C bonus BP!

• MissBehavingX

again if you would've told me that a few months ago i would've agreed, but i see way more variety in the perks i see from my random teammates than the killers these days

• MissBehavingX

bbq is a given and i dont even mind killers using it, at least bbq will make u either go for a locker or run one direction and then the opposite or something, the other 2 you just sit and wait at the gen

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,207

I really dislike the current killer meta. Not the direction the game should be going IMO. I get that the skill gap between the top and mid to low end is a problem, but a strong auto-pilot/training wheels meta is A: not fun to face and B: completely busted in the hands of a skilled killer. I had two games in a row tonight that I 4k'd at 5 gens with Agitation/Pain Resonance.

The synergy between Pain Res/DMS is problematic because the only counterplay is to not do a gen for a brief period. That can't be the intended design. I get off a gen for 10 seconds, watch it blow up (which the killer sees), and then get chased off to proc DMS. This is braindead gameplay.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Too bad you feel that way.... I really do mean it

I don't run "meta" perks (Maybe corrupt)

And I also get flamed for being "trash" for playing how I play (not camping unless 3-4 Gens are done and no Tunneling)... so thank the other Survivors for it being this way

Also it's in the base mechanics... Gen Regression being so low (so why kick Gens)... Gen tapping being a thing...

A Perkless/ Itemless 4 Survivor SWF is stronger then a Perkless/ without addons Killer

But if all 4 Survivors are running the same build then doesn't that shorten the Survivor "meta"?

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,438

I agree this combo shouldn't waste so much time as the killer imput on it is really minimal and it gets massive value, so im all for a DMS nerf as I personally think PR is in a good spot atm.

However this applies to both sides imo deadhard can buy time freely without any significant input, as both dms and dh feel equally bad to play as you lose time not because of a misplay but because someone just decided to press a button so ill want to see them both changed imo.

Altho I have more ideas on how to nerf DMS than dh as I have no idea how to change it without making it useless.

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited March 2022

I only counter this argument with a simple question... What choice do they have?

"A few months ago"? Even then there wasn't much a killer could do to slow down the survivors gen progression speeds, and now it's even worse. The bottom line I'm getting at is that While I'd LOVE to make a full ATTACK POWER build that forces survivors to abandon objectives in order to keep up with their losses, the truth is that they have gained far more "2nd chance" and "Gen Speed" advantages over the killers ability to counter them other than to slow down the survivors primary objective. Basically, Killers are FORCED into this position, but funny enough, survivors aren't... they just choose their meta because it's almost always guaranteed a win. I can't lie, Hex Pain Resonance was a GOD SEND For killers, but even while choosing their "Slow Down" meta doesn't guarantee a win, at least it gives them a decent chance at one.

TBF, If a survivor team came in with full non-meta builds against me now, I'd most definitely lose... because I've been conditioned to expect what they normally bring in. In a way, I feel that this is also the sole reason I do so well as Plague... Because survivors these days just don't know how to effectively play against her, especially when they rely on CoH, seriously, I'm having a ball against survivors as Plague now more than I ever did before! That's not me bragging as much as it's just acknowledging how funny things have changed so much in her favor, due to the most recent survivor buffs.

Post edited by TWiXT on
  • Kangaroohugs
    Kangaroohugs Member Posts: 38

I quite like running Autodidact, Small Game, Epathetic Connection, and Botany Knowledge as a survivor. It gets fun though when your teammates yell at you for not having BT, because they are being hooked camped/tunneled.. so they either die on hook or you just leave. Then you have the killers that laugh at you because you didn't bring Dead Hard @_@

Not defending survivors, just saying if we don't run those perks- we get a lot of flak from killers and survivors alike. Or I have :/ Maybe I just get the sad lonely hour people.

• MissBehavingX

I mostly solo survive, i dont use exhaustion perks, at all, the only OP perk I run is maybe iron will cause I main Jane and her moaning is so loud!

Using those 2 perks as a slow down meta is so boring, there are other perks they can use to slow down gens, Pop is OP I love that perk when I play killer

• MissBehavingX

I completely disagree with this, they ultra nerfed toolboxes and they got rid of the gen progression while hitting a skillcheck. Killers have far more options to slow down gens than survivors do at making them progress faster.

They also got rid of insta heal while almost all killers have an addon to down survivors with one hit, one killer has the option to kill healthy survivors in such an easy way. There's other killer perks for slowing down gens that arent as boring as that meta, pop is such a great perk that i always use when i play killer, they buffed thanato as well, corrupt is also good, there are so many

• Adaez
    Adaez Member Posts: 1,239

Because survivor meta of coh,dead hard,ds is not boring at all.

Both sides just use what's best,its always gonna be like that

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882

My new favorite build for survivor is Empathic Connection, Solidarity, Leader, and Aftercare.

As for the killer meta, it's fine so far for me. I wouldn't say it's boring as it's pretty much in all of my games, but expected at this point just like it's expected to see the same meta on the survivor side. I think pain resonance is in a good spot and is a healthy regression perk. Dead Man's Switch I'm iffy on because it's viable now and I like that it's being used. I wouldn't want to nerf it since it has good psynergy with other perks, but I dunno. I'm okay with it.

• MissBehavingX

I rarely see DS anymore since the nerf, i do agree that COH is used a lot

I personally dont use exhausting perks so can't say much about DH

• Dionysus42
    Dionysus42 Member Posts: 427

I never run boons or DH as survivor because I only play fair.

• jarjargist21
    jarjargist21 Member Posts: 444
    edited March 2022

Ok, what perks do you use as survivor?

• ThisLittleWiggy
    ThisLittleWiggy Member Posts: 14

So is the survivor meta.

When killers do try to "surprise" survivors with different perks, they get steam rolled by 4 Dead Hards, Iron Will, Borrowed Time, and Decisive Strikes, etc.

Or they play Nurse or Blight. Which would you rather?

Want something new? Be the change you want to see.

• Kangaroohugs
    Kangaroohugs Member Posts: 38

Twice now in the past week- before that not so often. Nit picky?

Also, I won't unhook you in the killers face. *shrug*

• ThanksForDaily
    ThanksForDaily Member Posts: 1,304

BBQ isn't even meta on high MMR.

4 gen autopilot slowdowns and Black Ward for the dream.

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

Both sides have insanely boring metas.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415

Replace BBQ, Resonance & DMS in your post with DH, DS, BT, etc. and you’d have 50+ upvotes by now instead of 0.

DBD isn’t killer sided, only the forums

...facts

just don’t let the game make you boring and repetitive in real life😉

• N8dog
    N8dog Member Posts: 541

my build is and almost always is spine chill, Lithe, self care, botany knowledge. I think it's a strong build that assist with many mechanics. Nothing in the game satisfies me more than turning an unsafe, dropped pallet into a powerful tool of destruction and forcing a killer to destroy it because they don't want to keep losing me.

• Okonar_
    Okonar_ Member Posts: 499

I started dbd in 2019, and what I saw survivors use back then was pretty much the same thing people use these days, DH, UB, BT, DS and now circle of healing. So yea, boring and repetitive :/. I do agree dead mans switch is one of the most brainless perks for killer tho, I personally don't like using gen defense spam builds, but with most killers you need at least 1 or 2 perks to defend the gens. And BBQ is pretty much because the bloodpoint grind is ridiculous, can't rly blame people for that lol

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Boring and OP. It needs a nerf because most teams can't overcome it. Survivors shouldn't auto-lose because of perks.

• ThanksForDaily
    ThanksForDaily Member Posts: 1,304

Tell them sluzzy. Running 4 slowdowns and they don't have to move a finger to make them work. Autopilot, perks work for them.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

There was a match where I repaired a gen three times and it still didn't get completed. Pain Resonance, PGTW, Dead Man's Switch.

I would only consider that fair if I as a survivor could use Sprint Burst into Lithe, and finally a Dead Hard.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

Maybe look up a guide how to counter dead mans switch and pain resonance, you do it wrong atleast from what you are writing here.

• Sludge
    Sludge Member Posts: 768

PR should be all hooks I can't stand the RNG

• Sludge
  • Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

yeah having to go up against a bunch of stacked gameslowdown perks is hella boring.

but you know what else is super boring?

the killer not having it and all gens being completed in a matter of minutes and the game ending after maybe 3 hooks.

in the end, stacking slowdowns rn is really just an attempt by the killer to band aid fix the horrid gamedesign thats actively working against them.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546

Sometimes I switch Ruin and Undying out for DMS and Pain Res because I'm that quirky and unique

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

This one here gets it. As a survivor you might loath a build like this, because it might be very strong against your group and the killer might win with 4 gens remaining, but you don't know what happened the four matches of that killer before he faced you. These days I pretty much have 4-5 miserable games against god loopers, gen rushers, flashlight bullies and imersive masterminds that pop one gen after the next one like clockwork, while I struggle to get a couple of hooks. I once had a perfect survivor game open the exit gates at a couple of seconds below 4min; tool boxes and skillcheck progress might have been nerfed, yet a lot of groups play so perfectly that there is no breathing room for errors on the killers side: either play it perfectly with a dash of tunneling, or get laughed out of the gates by the bloodthristy mob.

• SweetbutaPsycho
    SweetbutaPsycho Member Posts: 251

Killer meta is boring and the same? Sometimes I follow a survivor that Im in strike distance to for 5-10 seconds cause I cant imagine that they dont have DH. Killers will run whatever they feel necessary to fit their gamestyle tbh. With the way the game is atm I guess most killers just run this build to buy themselves some time to actually play. Most of the time when u engage in a chase which is actually the fun part as a killer u hook someone and the next second 2 or 3 gens pop. And u supposed to repeat that 11 more times. So I can understand why most ppl run this build tbh.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911

How can you be mad about a build that extends the game. Do people just like speed running dbd games or do they actually want to play a 10+ minute game of dbd. Sbmm has killed the montoesque meme build for anyone who dosent have 2000+ hrs in this game.

• Sludge

Nobody actually likes playing DBD that's why they all want 5 minute genrush

• MissBehavingX

Lol, if u had read the whole text you would've read its easy to counter, not saying teams cant overcome it, if you're smart its easy to counter, its just boring

• killer_hugs
    killer_hugs Member Posts: 28

i've been running onryo with bbq + make your choice + nurses calling and corrupt intervention. took me to rank 1 with all games being double pip or close to it. she has so much map presence that with the right addons (bloody fingernails) you can guarantee the first hit on projection and if you can't down them soon just project to another gen, hit, project to another gen, hit, and eventually you'll catch them healing with nurses calling which i think is the best addon with her because literally nowhere on the map is safe when she's projecting everywhere and staying stealthy when she's not.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

I mean, the survivor meta is not that fun either

• Brhoom
    Brhoom Member Posts: 241
    edited March 2022

Nothing will beat the Ruin/pre-nerf Undying/Tinkerer meta

Killer mains pretended (and some still do here) that it was fair and balanced to have to search the entire ######### map for every totem.

Why was it worse???

Killers got so used to Ruin being on during the entire match that whenever it was cleansed early (aka after 3 or more hooks) they started to play extremely toxic by hard tunneling someone or camping. Even at 4 gens they would suddenly play like they are losing and are just being forced to hard tunnel.

It went from facing a killer that hard tunneled someone every 3 matches to every single match whenever Ruin and Undying were cleansed.

Simply, the devs tried to fix the excuse that is still used to this day on this forum (I tunnel because gens go too fast) only for killers to tunnel harder and more consistently.

• MissBehavingX

They can use other good perks instead of running the cookie cutter killer 101 perks, bbq is fine, but they could be mixing it with pop, call of brine, corrupt intervention, undying/ruin, even doing gens together with meciless storm, theres always that damn survivor that wont hit the skillchecks and mess the gen up, i hate doing group gens when that perk is up. Im missing more perks but its just an example of how they can not run only those 2 ALL THE TIME :/

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

The survivor meta is also boring because it's always the same perks: Dead Hard, Circle Of Healing, Borrowed Time, Decisive Strike, etc.

I've seen more killers bring a variety of perks, meanwhile survivors still run the same 4 perks every match.