Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

After all these years, survivors don't learn

MissBehavingX
MissBehavingX Member Posts: 493
edited April 2022 in General Discussions

I'm gonna talk about mostly teams that have solo queuers because this might not be a thing with SWF.

I cant believe that after all these years, and seeing profiles with thousands of hours, survivors still don't know how to do gens strategically.

Like i've said in many threads im mainly a solo Q survivor, and the amount of accidental 3 gens I see is concerning. I'm rarely paired with people that will leave corner gens alone and focus on middle gens, or on doing one gen that is right next to another, or getting rid of one or two of 3 gens that are on the same side of the map.

Every time I spawn in a corner with a teammate, and if there's a gen, they will run and do it, or if they are "safe" on one side of the map they will finish all the gens on that side, leaving the opposite side vulnerable for a 3 gen.

When I get maps that are "divided into two" (I forgot the name of the specific McMillan and Autohaven's maps that have one middle gen sometimes and the other 3 on each side) they will focus on one side if the killer is active on the opposite side (and if the killer is smart at letting them 3 gen) they won't split, and a 3 gen is inevitable..

I wish solo-Q wasn't the nightmare it is right now, the bad MMR and no comms is challenging sometimes. Sadge.

Comments

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Yeah, I hate the hourglass shaped maps.. mostly due to fellow survivors. Also unfun as killer with smart survivors though. Absolutely crazy people still don’t understand the concept of doing gens properly as you’ve stated.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177

That's why I always do my very best to hit a middle gen as one of the first gens. Once in a while it still ends up backfiring if the gens on one side get done (3 genning us anyway) but at least getting a middle one done right away greatly reduces the chance of that happening. It's the sorrows of solo though :(

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

I dread getting suffocation pit while in solo Q

For some reason my teammates are allergic to the other side of the map

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

I am doing the first gen I see, then I pick them. But most of the time the killer has corrupt anyway.

I don't like wasting time. I also rarely end up in a 3 gen situation. In fact I don't remember the last time it happened.

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599

Since Survivors ignore punishment so often with perks and other conditions, they don't have any reason to learn or become more skilled at the game.

• MissBehavingX

this is exactly what I do, if i get one of those 2 maps, i run and look for the middle gen, that way i can somewhat influence the outcome and hope for one survivor to be at least on the other side and the rest on the opposite.

Yeah solo Q-ing is harsh man :(

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,860

I’m like you- I’m very mindful of gen placement. So much in fact, I like to think I am the sole reason my team doesn’t 3 gen. When it does happen, it’s usually if I’m the first one found by the killer and was able to run him for 2 1/2 gens. By the time I get off of hook, then maybe healed- that third gen is done. Now we may have a potential problem. A lot of times I try to signal to my teammates not to finish the second to last gen they’re on cuz they’ll 3 gen us, and even message the ones who I can, but it NEVER works. They finish it any way. Nowadays if it happens, I don’t stress it all. It has to happen to you on occasion. I take pride in knowing I personally prevent a lot of 3 gens. I pay attention to where all gens are getting done.

The two maps you speak of are Azarov’s Resting Place & Suffocation Pit. I made SURE I learned & remembered their names years ago lol.

‘Another great reason not to do the first gen you see is because most killers will bee line to that gen first. It’s usually the farthest one. That’s what I do as killer, and I mostly find at least one person on that gen. I prefer not to get chased first due to the camping/tunneling strat, so that first gen is a hard pass unless I spawn with 3 ppl and someone has Prove Thyself.

• MissBehavingX

Thanks for the maps info, i will make sure not to forget them!

I felt so identified by your comment lol im glad i'm not the only one.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

A 3 gen is a 3 gen. It doesn't matter if there is still 5 to do or there are only 3 left if the killer is focusing on that particular area you are already playing the 3 gen game.

Do people not get this? Do they really think its always the other guys fault for taking the free points on gens the killer refuses to patrol?

• KingSiege45
    KingSiege45 Member Posts: 138

I dont think its a learning things as it is a connivant thing. I don't think people honestly want to feel like they need to go out of their way just to prevent a 3 gen because would you rather do the gen you spawned by or go out of your way, towards the center of the map or far end and work on another gen. Plus if a killer want a 3 gen they can force or at least force you to try and break the 3 gen which more than likely will take alot of time and resources to do so.

• GoshJosh

I would say 90% or more occurrences of a three gen are a result of survivor mistakes and not on the killer being proactive to defend a three gen. Even if the killer is doing that, smart survivors realize what is happening and will pressure those gens at all cost until at least one is done (before four others are of course).

• KerJuice

There’s a reason why he refuses to patrol them- he’s trying to create a 3 gen situation. Us as survivors can prevent that. You just need to be mindful of gen placement, be familiar with the maps, and do your best to keep track of what gens your teammates are on, and which ones they have completed. It’s a strat that I take pride in executing.

You don’t do the corner gens first- especially if you spawn at them. I’ll only test them for Ruin. No Ruin? My strat is to run the map counterclockwise to the next nearest gen. (For some reason my chances of running into the killer are low- unless Lethal Pursuer is active). Depending on the map, I may or may not do that gen. Ideally you want to do the middle gen/middle left & right gens first if they can be worked on safely. Then work on the two gens left and right of the main building if they have one. Do this correctly and now the killer has to patrol the main building, and the bottom two gens. That’s very difficult unless they have map control like Sadako, Freddy, Artist, Demo, etc.

‘Not every map is setup up the same, but a lot are. For those that are unique, I have adjusted strats for them, but they’re the same idea with minor tweaks.

Np bro. I know the solo Que struggle- 3 genned is one of many! 🤣

• MissBehavingX

bruh, I do EVERY SINGLE thing you just mentioned! LOL feels so creepy yet warms my heart to know I'm not alone in the fog lol

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I used to think 3 genning was a big deal and tried to force it when I was playing killer. If 4 survivors are still alive you've lost those generators. You may keep them off for like 2 or 3 minutes but they'll start getting turbo aggressive.

Now if it's 2 survivors or something yeah. They're toast.

• MissBehavingX

Yeah, if its still a 4 survivor situation if they are smart they will just rotate gens (we are talking about solo queueing exclusively) but even if there are 4 left and one or 2 of them are just hiding because of the terror radius and only 2 work on gens, there's a chance the killer will get some kills

• Zozzy

But.. the killer is already hard patrolling the 3 gen.. you are already playing the 3 gen game and trying to win the attrition war. Wouldn't it be better to smash gens while conserving pallets and hook states around the target area before bothering to play the killers game?

I know it happens unintentionally in solo q. I had one earlier today and they ended up disconnecting because the gens were all in sight of each other and i killed the booner earlier on. But i have had people rage in the end game at other survivors when i was just 3 genning from the start of the match like they did something wrong.

• KerJuice

3 genning from the start is a rare strat i dont really run into these days. If I saw that, i would just keep challenging you buy doing one of the outer gens that has the safest breakaway & loops. I would anticipate the inevitable and as a result, have somewhat of a head start on that gen for the 3 gen. Then hopefully my teammates will start doing the furthest gen from mine and the tug of war begins. But again, 3 genning from the start is very rare for me to encounter, so I wouldn’t sweat it. I imagine the same for a lot of players. They DEFINITELY don’t do that at high MMR. You don’t see your favorite streamer running that strat from the start nor encounter it from the start. If it happens, it’s usually after 2 or 3 gens are done. But then that still falls on the survivors for letting it happen. Lery’s is unique because it has one iteration where 4 gens are right next to each other. Bad RNG if survivors get that one. I saw it with Detective’s Hunch a couple of times and couldn’t believe how close they were to each other. There may be 1 or 2 more map iterations like this that escape me at the moment. Those, you’re screwed on.

• Zozzy

Lol.. nothing happens at high mmr. Its boring and predictable but nothing can be done about it.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,297

I’ve had some success with shaking my head at a teammate and motioning them to follow me to another gen. About 50% of them realize what I’m doing when we get to the gen I have targeted.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 820

Teams that can't coordinate effectively, don't coordinate effectively.

• DriplordDrew
    DriplordDrew Member Posts: 246

I see this happen more in the solo q the SWF groups and it has to do with if one survivor is looping this side I will do gens here not thinking about the issue of 3 Gen. Talking helps cause we can say omg we are about to 3 gen.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

This is really it. Killers aren't even required to play the whole map and wise killers try to avoid it whenever possible, unless they're running S tier stuff.

Ironically, the thread title is still correct, but not for the reasons OP thought.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

Lol. I still have games where there are 4 gens left, one guy on a hook and two slugs and some dude will just be working on a gen.

There are a lot of idiots with no awareness that play this game.

• GoshJosh

I mean, who’s the idiot here to allow the killer to get that much early pressure in the first place?

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,695
  • fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Unlearned survivors are only thing that makes this game balanced, aka "2k/2e golden ratio"

• MissBehavingX

I had 2 games like that last night, we were 3 left, I was on hook and the obsession was being chased so he knew the other survivor was busy and he still didn't leave the gen he was working on to save me, killer got the obsession, the gen never got finished (he literally was working on the gen from 0%) and when he tried to rescue he got caught fun times :)

• malloymk

The guy that's still smart enough to see people slugged and go, you know I should probably go for the unhook or to pick up those slugs.

Sometimes killers catch people out of position or in dead zones and create pressure. That doesn't always have anything to do with survivors playing dumb. Hanging on an early gen while the killer is just handing the game over on a silver platter.

• GoshJosh

A hooked and two downed survivors sounds like critical errors on the first three, not the last guy. Probably decided they’ll wait out the hatch, the game is basically over for three of the survivors.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Atleast 99 a corner gen and make the killer come out of there way to kick it.

• malloymk

Ahh yes, wait out the hatch by alerting the killer where they are by completing a meaningless gen.

Sure thing.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Super efficient survivor play is kinda dull too though.

It usually results in little to no interaction with the killer at all.

I'd rather lose 10 exciting games than win 10 boring gen simulator ones.

But it's getting formulaic, split up on gens, finish middle and 3 opposite corners. Smash out last one and leave, rinse repeat. Get 1 hook save and maybe a totem, no healing points because of super self healing. Now do it 50 times. ugh.

The random nature of solo queue is the only thing adding variety to the game anymore yet people hate on it and it baffles me.

• MissBehavingX

what are u on about? lol Being efficient with gens has NOTHING to do with boring games, just cause someone is mindful of gen placement doesnt mean they dont move their butts off the gens, they still go rescue, get chased, get hooked and killed like any other player, the only difference is that they know which gens are being done and which should be pop in order to try and prevent a 3gen that is all.

Even if I try to do middle gens, that same strategy always puts me in higher risk, because the killer can have more visibility of me and the gen can be heard and I get chased quite often. I try to rescue teammates and heal them and if it was me just being immersive rotating gens i would have a wayyyy higher escape ratio lol

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815

It's true. I've won a ton of games because of a 3-gen, and I've never planned one, it's always just survivors doing all the farthest gens.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,966

Honestly atleast 3 gen doc really isn't a thing anymore

• Moonman157
    Moonman157 Member Posts: 102

Ya it is very annoying, luckily a lot of killers are bad too and will chase that person working on that gen and will kill their chance of getting a three gen.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

I'm on about how games play out.

Its not that hard to be really efficient as survivor. Its not a terrbile thing if some pug group 3 gen themselve as its often a more interactive game than the typical highly efficient one.

You're bemoaning that survivors still don't know how to efficiently finish gens without 3 genning themselves and yeah its true, but its not necessarily a bad thing overall.

A game where some of my teamates or myself drop the ball, is often the most interactive and exciting to play as there is typically more interaction with the killer and a higher threat off death. All the things that make DBD exciting.

A well played efficient survivor team game often plays out the same way, smash out the gens and leave killer get 2-3 hooks max.

Every now and then you'll get an experienced killer who can spread pressure well and direct a chase rather than just chasing you but they are few and far between. Interactive games often involve survivors making mistakes otherwise it business as usual smash out gen, rinse and repeat.