Underrated Perks That People Should Use More: What Are Your Picks?

StarLost
StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
edited April 2022 in General Discussions

You know - perks that are really, really good but don't see enough usage.

On killer, mine would be Discordance. It's basically almost all the upsides of Lethal, but works all game and can even interact with killer powers (zombies!). So good on killers that benefit from finding multiple people regularly.

A close second would be the combination of Plaything+Pentimento, especially on killers with traps or secondary objectives. Survivors hate being Oblivious, and Penti is much better than people give it credit for.

Survivor, would probably have to be Boil Over, even now. Wow, as a killer - this can completely negate scourged hooks and give me absolute fits on indoor maps.

The second choice would have to be Shadowstep. There are times where it's as scary as a good COH, and can completely break my build.

Post edited by StarLost on

Comments

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

Desperate measures allows you to have a nice heal boost and go for cheeky speedy unhooks

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,168

For survivor: Renewal

Getting it to activate can be a real pain sometimes and against some killers like plague it's a dead perk but outside of that, not having to worry about being healed off the hook is such a good feeling. It can also help with tunnelling somewhat since if you can last 20 seconds in chase you'll get healed by it

For killer: Agitation

It saves you so much time and it's such a feel-good perk

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,180

Bond (is Bond unpopular? I don't pay attention...)

Knowing where your team is can be a huge difference maker (especially in solo queue). Let's you know where to go and sometimes more importantly, where NOT to go if the killer is on your butt.

• StarLost

Agitation and I had an affair a bit back, and it's a really great perk - just a hard one to find a spot for sometimes, unless I'm also running Starstruck.

Bond is a very solid perk, but I tend to run Kindred baseline so it occasionally feels like a bit of a waster. Not a bad choice at all though.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735
    edited April 2022

Kindred. I don't know why so few Solo Q survivors running this. It's so sad. It helps your team a lot and it helps you even more. Also I love seeing camping killers (mainly bubba haha) so people can do gens and the killer have no idea we can see them camping.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,180
  • StarLost
    edited April 2022

WOO would be my second choice. I once thought that it was only for beginners, but I see it occasionally even watching very high MMR streamers play. It's just such a safe, comfortable perk to run.

The problem with Kindred is that multiple is a complete waste - so using it sometimes feels like a bit of a dice roll.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Whispers.... Cause it has no counters let's me know if there are Survivors around (for the most part)... and I don't see that many Killers use it

• Mazoobi
    Mazoobi Member Posts: 1,565

Head On!

Although it can definitely be at no value in some matches, it can be so dynamic in others! I've saved so many of my friends in a bad area by telling them to loop around the locker real quick & vice versa.

It's also fun getting some killers paranoid to the point where they would try to avoid lockers that I purposely run by even though no one was in there!

I wish it could get some small buffs, but it's a nice perk overall <3

• StarLost

Apply directly to the forehead!

Eh...I see it occasionally and it usually works once, then I anticipate it. Once you know it's in play, it's pretty useless. It is an extremely fun perk though.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

Head on used to be very buggy definitely improved over the years

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I like (but don't see often unless I use it) Soul Guard, Desperate Measures, and Wake Up because I can never remember where the exit doors are. Visionary too because I can never remember where the generators are. I'd say Windows but you see that occasionally. I can't be bothered to memorize the locations of things.

Killer side I'll just randomly use perks like Furtive Chase and Nemesis with Rancor. I'm much more willing to try new things on my Trapper.

• StarLost

Visionary is fantastic for avoiding 3gen situations.

Soul Guard is great, but a lot of people have gradually moved away from hexes.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,474

I watched a streamer use WoO with Open-Handed and it was pretty much just constant knowledge of where the killer was. You'd see a pallet fall and then disappear, as a survivor dropped it and killer destroyed it.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

Saboteur.

Sure its niche and rarely useful, but those times it is can completely flip the game on its head from a runaway loss to a killer playing catchup

• StarLost

...Huh. I like Kindred with Open Handed, but never considered it with WOO.

The thing about sabos is that you have to time them just right, otherwise I'll drop and probably down you too. These days I'm actually quite happy to see a sabo-happy player, because even if it works once, all it takes is a single mistake and you've lost the game.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

doesn't need to be timed right if you're the looped of the team. Sabotage to get killers attention andead them on a goose chase as someone else picks them up and someone else on gens

• StarLost

It sounds good in theory. But here's how it tends to play out.

Situation 1: I see you coming in to sabo. I drop and get a free hit, then chase. Maybe you can loop me, but it's unlikely to be forever - and now you've had one person slugged, one person occupied and probably soon to be hooked. I'm ahead of the game.

Situation 2: I either see or anticipate the sabo, you sabo one hook but I have another hook nearby. Now you've wasted time and I still got the hook.

Situation 3: You sneak in, time it perfectly and I lose the survivor, or at the very least don't get a scourged hook. Good job.

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

Killer perks

Discordance

Honestly the most underrated gen info/detection perk. I use this on Plague mostly but yeah. This is basically a counter to Prove Thyself and a good way to punish survivors for grouping up on gens / finding multiple survivors.

Fearmonger

Seriously if you're sick of exhaustion perks and your playstyle primarily involves gen defense this is an amazing perk.

Survivor perks

Any Means Necessary

The range on this is practically map-wide. With a little attention you can use this knowledge of dropped pallets to your advantage and know where to avoid if said pallets get broken. It's like it has certain elements of Windows of Opportunity and Alert but combined and with the ability to RESET a pallet if the killer decides to not break one. Seriously this is such an underrated perk it's one of my favorites.

Situational Awareness

If you like sticking to gens and crave info this perk is just amazing. I love to combo it with Prove Thyself so that my gen becomes a beacon for other players to come to and work on it with me for Prove Thyself value. Beware however as it is completely countered by Fearmonger LOL

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Yeah, it's great if a teammate has it.

Huge aura reading range.

• StarLost

Yeah Discordance is finding it's way into more and more builds for me now. It's just so consistent - survivors always group up on the first gen, making it a mini LP, and once you get down to 2-3 gens, it can really turn the match around. Just so, so good.

Fearmonger...eh. Usually when they are close to the gen, they are at full health so you don't generally see the exhaustion perks until later. What it does seem to cause is people being left on hooks for too long.

• pyramidheadmain6233
    pyramidheadmain6233 Member Posts: 121

Spies from the Shadows

• StarLost

Bleh.

Spies and Whispers...for every situation where they've given me a chase, there's another where they've sent me off chasing ghosts.

Especially in multi-floor maps.

• CheeseAnton
    CheeseAnton Member Posts: 882

For The People

Legit game changer in a lot of scenarios and is always fun to pull great plays with, an Instant Heal for another has saved me so many games when I save someone from death hook and they eventually repay the favor by us by as a team member contributing to gens or being another looper buying the team time or in a rare scenario them pulling off a pallet/flashlight save so neither of us get hooked. It also has niche uses for putting Rancor onto me in a safe spot, or if exposed the ability to instantly heal another to get Dead Hard/Resilience/Iron Will/etc.

• jellymaine
    jellymaine Member Posts: 10

Kindred is so great in solo queue. If someone is hooked, I can see whether someone is going to unhook them so I don't have to leave my gen. It's also fantastic when the killer is camping. I got camped and my teammates could all see the killer's aura standing there, so they just smashed out gens and he only got one kill.

• Darth_Cader
    Darth_Cader Member Posts: 128

Flip Flop, No Mither, Tenacity, Unbreakable. In that combo

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Killer:

Long ago, my choice would've been Play With Your Food.

It had amazing synergy with Twins, as Victor wouldn't lose you PWYF Stacks, so you could keep them for an extremely long time and would render Charlotte's weakness of being an M1 Killer pretty useless.

Now, it'd probably be Call Of Brine.

It's generally an amazing Perk. It's strong, consistent and has great synergy with Pop Goes The Weasel and even less meta Perks like Dragon's Grip.

Survivor:

I love Rookie Spirit.

I don't know why, but I just can't stop loving the info it grants you. It's not that strong, but it feels good

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

Why I don't see Prove Thyself as often as I see Borrowed Time and Dead Hard I'll never know - it's so profoundly powerful, I cannot overstate it enough.

On the killer side, Save The Best For Last is incredibly useful - but I almost never see it on other killers when I play against them!

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,940

On Survivor side?

Pretty much every Survivor Perk is underrated, and you see it once you stop relying on the Meta Perks.

There are some useless ones, but the majority of Perks have their uses. For example, Bite the Bullet saved my ass so many times. Running of to a corner and just starting to heal made the Killer lose me a few times.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    edited April 2022

Eruption - Paired with Pop its an amazing combo that can carry you pretty hard and save you alot of time and gens that wouldve pop with other perk combos.

Breakout - There are a decent amount of situations (roughly once in 2-3 games) where you can save 1 person with that perk. Dont even need sabo just the perk itsself can make a difference, especially in basement situations.

Also: Hangsmans trick for real its better then BBQ I am not joking. You have a constant reliable aura reading across the map mostly on each pick up. There is no counterplay to it, its amazing on most Killers, especially aggressive Killers like Blight, Oni, Nurse etc.

• puncher
    puncher Member Posts: 118

Stake Out and Better Together.

Stake Out helps do gens faster.

Better Together is another great perk for doing gens.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,295

For killer, I think Lethal Pursuer. That early start can make all the difference.

For survivor: Fixated. One of the best stealth perks in the game.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,165

Tenacity. So often survivor teammates crawl instead of recovering so teammates can't run by and pop them up. If they ran tenacity they could do both.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246
    edited April 2022

I really like Stake Out and Fast Track. They get a underrated a lot because people look at the percentage modifiers and think "1 percent is nothing" or "3 percent is nothing". But those things add up. When you have some Stake Out and Fast Track tokens, you are suddenly able to shave 10 seconds or more off of a solo gen.

You know how much time Prove Thyself saves on a 2 person gen? 7 seconds. 47 base vs 40 seconds w/ Prove.

I'm not trying to say Stake Out/Fast Track are the best perks in the world. They're very conditional. But I think they're massively undervalued because you increase solo repair efficiency beyond what Prove Thyself typically can provide, and this allows you maintain optimal map spacing as a survivor.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246
  • StarLost

You'll see it frequently in 3 and 4man SWFs. In solo queue, it's not great.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

We'll make it. Nice speedy heals without having to dick about with totems, also a nice indirect anti-tunnel perk if they aren't also being camped. Situationally a nice anti-slug perk too

Downside: solo teammates seem terrified of this perk and will opt to immediately sprint burst back into the killer's face instead

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

Open handed + kindred can be amazing for solo queue especially on smaller maps.

One of my favourite non meta builds is open handed, kindred, bond and windows of opportunity. You pretty much know where everyone is at all times, know where the killer is when someone is hooked, and can loop them around the entire map. Highly recommend you try it if you’re bored with the current meta.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,487

Detectives Hunch

• ManyAchievables
    ManyAchievables Member Posts: 667

Counterforce.

This perk ######### rocks solely because of this one time where I popped a Spirit's NOED in her face just before she hit me.

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513

Insidious - on legion (without using it to camp)

nobody expects insidious legion.

• CrowVortex
    CrowVortex Member Posts: 961

I love Pentimento and plaything on my Artist, oblivious or suffer gen slow down.

Make your choice is resurfacing for me again while playing sadako , people don't expect it for some reason on her.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,367

Lucky Break and Dark Devotion

• Smolshark
    Smolshark Member Posts: 19

Spine chill is op and the best perk in the game. It works even when blindness and oblivious are in effect. Also lithe is great for new folks or ppl not good at looping.

• PeaceNGrease
    PeaceNGrease Member Posts: 673

Every time I run discordance on Nemisis I regret it, the zombies don't seem to ever be useful enough or happen to be in the worst position to respond..

My favorite non-meta perk is probably STBFL, it's just so good on most m1 killers, but even better on most M2 and anti-loop as well, and it's one of the perks you just feel the value of immediately once you start gaining stacks.

• Belzher
    Belzher Member Posts: 466

Windows of Opportunity and Kindred specially if you play solo!