Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

You should NOT lose any pips if you get facecamped to death.

Comments

• MetaBuildSurvivor
    MetaBuildSurvivor Member Posts: 61

The current "ranking" is absolutely useless. If you play enough you will get your 1 million bp, no matter how garbage you are at the game. You cannot derank or rank down to a previous tier. Once you gain a new tier or rank they are locked until you earn a higher rank or tier. Your red badge doesn't show you how skilled a player is, or anyhting at any point.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    edited April 2022

So what’s considered facecamping? 5m from the hook? 10m? 15m? 50m? You get my point. Somebody has to pick an arbitrary number to define what “facecamping” is, and nobody is going to agree what that number should be.

Post edited by MrPeanutbutter on
  • Sylhiri
    Sylhiri Member Posts: 178

You should get something, technically you are keeping the killer busy while your team does the objective.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

I'm surprised you even care. The pips are meaningless, the MMR system is meaningless.

• JaviiMii
    JaviiMii Member Posts: 286
    edited April 2022

doesn't the killer get points detucted for staying "close to the hook" - whatever that means exactly? how about using that along with the "gens while being chased" mechanic - just for the altruistic category. While you're sticking around, sacrificing yourself and your time, you get x altruistic points for every point your teamies get. If your teamies do nothing all game until you die or you ######### on hook asap you still depip but if at least two of your teamies do enough of something useful (while the third potentially tries to unhook you and spends their time Running across the map just to realise there is no saving you) you'll have enough altruistic points to zero pip (assuming that you yourself did something useful before being (face)camped).

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

You have an entire map to work with at the beginning. Run the killer half as long as I can, as a garbage survivor, and you will pip even if you get face camped.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

I wish this was the case, but yesterday I did exactly this.

Got chased as I started a gen, and ran a Myers for maybe 3.5 gens. Eventually got BL'd to death and he camped me out. I depipped.

• VoidOfMe
    VoidOfMe Member Posts: 416

PIP = Climb rank

High rank = More points

What's not to understand about that?

• Bladeisbest
    Bladeisbest Member Posts: 308

When downing all Survivors who are overly confident within 6 or 7 minutes of the game starting and you 1 hook them...you also lose a pip.... I got them all... I played the role and I won.. Quite efficiently I might add... Why TF did I DE-PIP????

• Kurri
    Kurri Member Posts: 1,599

While we are at it, I should get immediate iri grade 1 if I complete 1 generator in a match. It's my right as a survivor after all for all that hard work I put into getting there.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

I....I don't care about BP? I have all the perks I want and a stockpile of addons and items that cover my needs. Climbing in rank is not rewarding, it's just an indicator of how often you play the game.

• scenekiller
    scenekiller Member Posts: 890

Way to use illogical nonsense to outright dismiss an actual issue just because “muh survivors!!”

Really shows your bias lol

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

Forget facecamping, depipping should just be removed outright.

It made sense when ranks were used for matchmaking. Now it doesn't.

• VoidOfMe
    VoidOfMe Member Posts: 416

But... But some people do, you do realise there are like 50 characters in game to upgrade, right? BP are really important lol

"I have all the perks I want"

I I I I I I I I I I I

• Ghostofsnow
    Ghostofsnow Member Posts: 160

could honestly give 'distraction' points since the one survivor is still effectively holding the killers attention while also being a good sport not trying to be sacrificed as soon as possible.

all it would take for face camping to not be nearly as polarizing or effective is make it so survivors can see eachother when ones on hook (like kindered but no aura read or tell on killers). the only reason its effective half the time is solo que disorganization and altruism being a fault. it just makes a feedback loop the way it is currently which can be just lousy compared to que times for some players

• kizuati
    kizuati Member Posts: 1,386

Incorrect. You can drop from Silver 4 to Silver 4 with no pips.

You cannot drop any further than you current grade.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430
    edited April 2022

While I respect your opinion, there is something to be said about the current state of camping. If feels like the pip wasn’t earned even if you were one of the ones who held M1 on a generator and escaped.

Someone had to pay the price of basically switching survivor role to “sacrificial lamb” role.

Understandably you guys have already stated that there is something in the works to address it. So I don’t want to lean of further discussion about how bad it is.

I just think this shouldn’t be the Dead by Daylight experience nor the one that BHVR should aim for. Usually pipping makes players feel like they’ve earned something even if a match went a certain way.

At this point everybody knows the drill (stay on gens while killer camps) doesn’t mean that they aren’t any less disappointed in how it works to not reward them because they had no chance at playing the game.

• Advorsus
    Advorsus Member Posts: 1,033

I just have a problem with a skill based system being the deciding factor for a system that's supposed to equal time played. That makes no sense. I've seen a lot of people play this game non stop for 2 weeks straight and they have nothing to show for it. They started at iri 4, they're decent survivors or killers, but with the randomness that can happen from match to match they might pip a couple matches, and then either safety or depip the following matches. Even though they played pretty well, they just died in the end. They play in a swf too, refuse to play solos. Everyone runs DS and BT, still the same result. Because in order to get to that iri 1 you have to play pretty well consistently, which means escaping or 4king more than just that 50% average. Because if you escape half the time and get tunneled out the other half, it's going to just cancel out both sides and you're left in the same position. But that's what behavior wants in matchmaking right? Average of two kills/escapes, or winning around 50%. It just simply doesn't make sense.

So you end up playing, but not getting rewarded for playing which is what grades is supposed to do. I get that it's easy to say well if you just play enough it'll happen. But that's not the case all the time. Sometimes you can play a ton but due to the mix of good matches and bad matches, you get nowhere. Your time invested into the game goes unrewarded.

When it was transitioned from judging skill to being time played, the skill based system should've been Reworked into something that actually calculated time played, and there's tons of existing systems out there to choose from that could be applied to DBD.

Heck a simple point bar where you get points for actions in game that fills up as you play. When it's full you go up a grade. The more you do the more points you get, the faster it goes up. If you join and do nothing you get nothing. Or even doing like other games where if you're afk for 5 minutes you auto disconnect. Maybe give a base amount to players but the only way to get it is to actually interact with an objective. Or make it to where if you have crows over your head you get no points until you move again. So people can't just join and afk to gain points. All of these options would make more sense than, grades=time played if you play well enough CONSISTENTLY

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

I think the mistake was giving blood point rewards for rank.

People were nuts about em before now they are extra nuts about em.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,467

honestly I think that the way the system is set up now you shouldn't loose pips period.

they only go toward grade and grades only give you blood points. Since you can't drop below a grade you reach the whole idea of losing pips is antiquated. grades have nothing to do with matchmaking anymore so

• Basement_Bubba420
    Basement_Bubba420 Member Posts: 397

Brain dead take. No one is talking about trophies.

Doesn't matter how good you are at looping or what perks you bring. If the killer wants to facecamp you youre going down and getting face camped. Skill can't avoid this.

You know why you don't see this argument? It's because its nonsense just like your original one is.

• Persephone_
    Persephone_ Member Posts: 157

Actually, 6 or 7 minutes into a game is quite a long time, especially in the current meta, which sees matches being over a lot quicker than it may have been the case when we saw more hit & run playstyles.

Regardless of time, this is most certainly not the same situation. As killer it is absolutely in your hands, especially if you are dominating early on in a game. Nobody is forcing you to four-man-slug and one-hook everyone. You actually have to go out of your way to do so. If this happens and I end up with a group clearly below my skill level or overly altruistic survivors I tend to slug 2-3 and let the others go for the save.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

Facecamping was a thing before swivel hooks. Before that killers could stand face to face with you to block unhooks.

After swivel hooks, survivor mains began calling anything camping "facecamping" if they even look at you from 30 meters away.

No such thing as facecamping in this game anymore.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

Honestly, this is why I'm leaving this game.

So, losing a pip, in a game with a tremendous grind, making the rewards harder to come by, while engaging in perhaps the least fun playstyle, you support?

As if that match wasn't unfun enough, let's insult them with a depip.

• StarLost

No, there absolutely is - and you can't semantics it into non-existence :).

If the killer is in a certain proximity to hooked survivors and doesn't leave - that's literally what facecamping is.

• DrDeepwound

Incorrect. Facecamping was literally face to face camping.

What you call facecamping was called proxy camping before facecamping was nerfed by swivel hooks.

You are the one who seems to not know what facecamping really is. You even use "proximity" in description of what you consider facecamping.

• StarLost

Ah, semantics :)

The meaning of words naturally evolve over time. This may have been what facecamping meant 4 years ago (I'm not sure, I watch some older videos and it doesn't seem all that different, but okay - let's assume you are correct). However, that meaning has shifted over time.

Unless you can show me some sort of official DbD dictionary - the DbD lexicon is derived from common consensus. And the common consensus on 'facecamping' is that it's essentially my definition here.

Proxy camping, on the other hand, seems to refer to a situation where a killer doesn't sit in front of a hooked survivor, but instead patrols the area, cuts off passages of entry etc.

Looking at the devs' discussion of facecamping, this also appears to be the definition they are using. Otherwise they wouldn't be talking about how to fix it.

So...what makes you think your definition is more accurate than mine, considering that it's also the meaning the devs are assigning here?

• DrDeepwound

"So...what makes you think your definition is more accurate than mine,"

Because "face" camping meant exactly that, and your definition is wrong, for reasons just as I said. Because people like you started calling anything facecamping.

Those of us who were here before they added swivel hooks know what "FACE"camping really is.

• DrDeepwound

For those who are curious: Swivel hooks were added in 2017 to stop killers from facecamping. Before that patch, killers could literally go face to face with you on the hook and no one could unhook, THAT is what facecamping is/was. After that, they started calling everything facecamping.

• DrDeepwound
    edited April 2022

I understand, and I am not fighting anyone. That guy above came at me like I was wrong, when in fact, I am 100% correct in the actual definition of "FACEcamping" the word face was added to camping to distinguish it from hard camping, or proxy camping.

only reason I posted more was becuase I was called out as if I was wrong,... just saying.

• DriplordDrew
    DriplordDrew Member Posts: 246

Yeah that is trash lol I feel like killers who are good enough to do this should pip I get your not maxing out chase but like if they are a full team of potatoes as this would suggest you shouldn't be punished 😂.

Amazingly stated and honestly love the idea of a meter that fills though I would rather not have it visible through out the match because I would end up fixating on it. Honestly the old rank system made sense before MMR but now its a BP farm and should not be treated the same. At least you can't de-rank cause that was pain when you could go from Iri 1 to 5 or lower because of bad matches but at least there was no BPs at risk. The grind is real and if you want all characters maxed your nuts (says someone done p3 and getting all perks on almost all survivors so far).

I call facecamping when you face to face with me. I legit had no idea about Swivel hooks I understand that facecamping was used to stop players from getting the save. Proxy camping is more annoying to me because they are either proxy camping to 1) tunnel or 2) go for the savior or 3) all of the above. Honestly I find the current grade system frustrating because both sides just seem to be so angry about their pips.

• StarLost

You...didn't answer my question.

My definition seems to be the one used by the community and the devs at this point in time.

Why do you think your definition is more accurate?

• Bladeisbest
    Bladeisbest Member Posts: 308

That is just stupid. The more efficient you are as Killer against ANY team, you should be rewarded more...not less..regardless. I get it though.. This is the "confined" and very "limited" system that BHVR has made to judge us with.

• Sylhiri
    Sylhiri Member Posts: 178

If facecamping isn't a thing anymore, what do you call a killer watching you on the hook, swinging at you until you either die or they get a trade?

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,096

Bruh.

• Hammie
    Hammie Member Posts: 39

In my opinion Killers in a 5m radius of the hook (or a little bigger maybe) should just not get a pip if they are there for too long. If someone wants to facecamp the first person they down in a match, there is not much you can do about it (since looping a killer for 5 gens is unrealistic) but it rewards the killer with a pip if they get 1-2 people. A few other ways to handle this is blocking the usage of primary and secondary fire if too close around a hook for a long period of time without being in chase with another survivor (and have a little cooldown once they do enter a chase so he cant instantly use it.) or just have them get less bloodpoints for it. Facecamping is already a bad strat, but it also removes the fun of most people you play against.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,596

You won't go down from Silver 1 to Silver 4 either. You keep every grade you reached until reset, doesn't matter how many depips you collect. So you can loose at most 4 pips back to back, then you will have reached your current grade with zero pips and dont drop further.

• Advorsus
    Advorsus Member Posts: 1,033

I agree, I don't want it shown during the match, just having the score events like now, maybe tweak them for the new system. But just a bar at the end of each match that keeps progressing match to match. Once it's filled, go up a grade, simple. And keeping the emblem system to show how well you did during the match. You do well, you get a bit more points, but everyone gets something for actually playing, even if they're tunneled or camped out. And the biggest part, you can't lose progress throughout the match. So you don't feel like you're losing the rewards you earned in other matches. I think people would sweat a bit less too if they didn't have to worry about killing all 4 survivors or leaving survivors to die so that they can escape and pip.

• realflashboss
    realflashboss Member Posts: 328

So basically accept that there is a fair chance you can queue for 5+ mins for a game and may spend the same amount of time doing nothing but dying on hook.

Brilliant game design. If it happens 1 time, youre good, if it happened 3 or 4 times in a row and youre new you'd probably drop the game. And tbh thats not beyond the realms of possibility.

• Flimflam
    Flimflam Member Posts: 103
  • spaz
    spaz Member Posts: 29

Brain dead reading skills.

I didnt say it would nullify face camping altogether which is what you are insinuating in your comment.

I said everyone gets face camped and that getting better at looping would help at staying alive, that in no way is the same as telling someone they can avoid face camping 100%.

Learn to read before you try to argue with someone.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,278

I agree with this ^

Camping is a bad strategy for the killer, except when playing Bubba vs a team of lemmings.

• t0007319
    t0007319 Member Posts: 176

There you have it folks, just don’t get camped in solo q, easy peasy

• Basement_Bubba420
    Basement_Bubba420 Member Posts: 397

More brain dead reading skills.

I didn't say you said it would nullify facecamping all together and I didn't insinuate it.

You mentioned how you could bring perks and loop which counter facecamping, except, if the killer wants to facecamp you, that doesn't work. So you were just wrong and your advice was just bad.

There is no counter for an individual player against facecamping.

Saying that staying alive is a counter for avoiding facecamping is such a stupid thing to say. That's the end result.

Learn to think before you try and respond to people with these crazy takes.

• PNgamer
    PNgamer Member Posts: 1,415

You are often hard camped and morid ? Oh man, what did you do that they always have it in for you ? xD

• Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259

Unpopular opinion: you shouldn't have let yourself get caught. There is a bunch of pallets on the map, perks to prolong chases, and you have 3 other teammates where if all else fails you can pass the killer to. Next time don't get caught first.

Side note: You are seeing camping a lot because it is becoming more effective or people are reaching the point where they are frustrated enough to camp. If there wasn't so much toxicity in 85 percent of matches there might be less camping. But I forgot this is a game and God forbid some people play it for fun

• Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259

Not continuing the toxicity, more of fighting back against it. The toxicity on the survivor side is much more prevalent and I can almost assure you that is the motivator behind a lot of killer toxicity. In this case where I'm having no fun with the killer role I am fighting fire with fire