Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Should Spine Chill react to killers when they're undetectable, or survivors are oblivious?

JamnJelly
JamnJelly Member Posts: 139
edited April 2022 in Polls

And why?

I'm noticing a lot of people saying no, but not much of why others are opposed to that.

Should Spine Chill react to killers when they're undetectable, or survivors are oblivious? 66 votes

Yes
33%
White_OwlChordycepsMrPenguinTaigahumanbeing1704PeeVeePeeGodValikYatolArchAbhorbm33dugmanIlliterateGenocidedarkcloudlinkReverseVelocityMrsJukesTrickstaaaaaCodeDBVlarianErendriel_00Twyla 22 votes
No
53%
GibberishSeiko300BlueberryKaanaSchinderellaMat_SellaF60_31SacrilegeGGanarchy753RaptorrotasLeonardo1itapizzaduffyhp90musstang62ElikDDomina422RoboMojotenoresaxThe_Grim_Reaper99EmealAwkward_Fiend 35 votes
Only certain killers
3%
KillmasterNathan13 2 votes
Other
10%
OnryosTapeRentalsAetherBytesElcopolloHex_Ignoredsizzlingmario4UlaBothSidesEnjoyer 7 votes
Post edited by JamnJelly on

Comments

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    No

I'm absolutely the exact same way, Spine Chill is a mainstay perk in most of my builds when I'm playing survivor, but I absolutely recognize it is some of the most ridiculous nonsense for a perk. It provides an insane amount of accurate information, neuters stealth killers, is one of less than 5 something perks out of 100+ that affects both gen. repair and window vaulting (among like 15 different interactions), and it operates completely passively without any input on the part of the survivor and doesn't have a cooldown.

Add a coordinated SWF on top of all that and you've got a recipe for disaster that absolutely kills any sense of anticipation or surprise in a match.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267
    edited April 2022
    Yes

Spine chill is not necessarily OP. I use it mainly to tune out of the game when I play survivor. Sometimes I just like to tune out in the background to listen to the T.V, or a video. It's a casual perk to allow me to focus on other things since it's boring to sit there and focus on a gen. If the perk where to get nerfed again, I wouldn't play as much honestly. It's a must have perk for me when I'm playing survivor. And I'm not really a person that likes "jump scares", I'm more of the faint heart per say.

• JamnJelly

But this game is designed as a horror asymmetrical, it's not supposed to be something you should just be able to ignore. I wouldn't say it's OP, but it neuters killers designed to play stealthily.

It's a very passive perk, yes. That's what makes it good, you can know if the killers coming. But that doesn't mean you should be able to just tune out, do you disagree?

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028
    Other

An oblivious survivor should not be warned by spine chill, but it should still trigger on undetectable

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 768
    Other

I can kinda get behind it not activating against Undetectable, as it does feel like complete BS from killer side gameplaywise.

But everything else (like Oblivious) should not stop it from working. Because otherwise what's the point of it even existing then? You get 10% to vaulting in a regular chase unless killer can moonwalk, is Ghostface, is Freddy or has Oblivious/Undetectable perk/addon? Sounds like a pretty non-existent value, to be honest. Not to mention that solely faster vaulting doesn't go in hand with the Spine Chill's theme, which is supposed to give you almost supernatural feeling that danger is coming (kinda like Spider Sense that Spider-Man has).

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,706
    Other

It should still work against oblivious.

While I don't particularly like how hard it neuters stealth killers, taking that away from it would obviously make the perk far weaker, so I’m not sure of the best way to fix it.

• JamnJelly

I feel like undetectable makes more sense. There's more options for oblivious to occur than undetectable. Plus then it doesn't hard counter stealth builds completely.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028
    Other

A spine chill in horror is used to denote that something is about to go wrong, a premonition of sorts. A killer who is very well hidden would still trigger spine chill, but if a survivor is completely oblivious they wouldn't notice the warning.

• JamnJelly

Undetectable means you're not detectable though. As it stands rn spine chill doesn't really tell you something is about to happen. I've had it trigger and the killer is looking *roughly* in my direction.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713
    Yes

The whole point of Spine Chill is to help give you a warning when a killer is possibly coming toward you. If it didn't work against Undetectable killers it would be much less useful than I think it's intended to be.

That said I never really understood why Spine Chill also gives survivors vault speed boosts. It feels like the perk is probably good enough without that benefit and the speed boost doesn't really make a ton of sense thematically. Just my opinion though. 🤷‍♂️

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959
    No

JuSt WaLk BaCkWaRdS To ThE GeN

• JamnJelly

It's okay to completely neuter stealth killers in most cases then?

• dugman
    Yes

I do ok against Spine Chill with stealth killers actually, I just don't look directly at the spot I'm going and it works pretty well.

• dugman
    Yes

More like sideways. And yeah, that's what I do and it works.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274
    Yes

I think it's more than fine as an anti-Undetectable perk, and a reliable means to tell when the killer is approaching in spire of Obliviousness.

However, I think the perk should have its speed removed - and Blindness should be buffed.

Blindness seals your preternatural connections away and prevents you from extra natural abilities such as aura reading.

Spine Chill is fine as is. But Blindness should cause perks like this to become deactivated, as it relies on the same supernatural sensibilities.

Get rid of the speed, make it effected by Blindness.

Suddenly Fearmonger and Third Seal are more attractive picks in the mid-game :)

• JamnJelly
    edited April 2022

Interesting point. Blindness has been kinda forgotten until recently it would seem.

There's just currently nothing you can do as killer to not cause it to activate outside of walking caddycorner toward the player.

I don't like that some players can use it to just "zone out" from the game.

• catkillsmouse
    catkillsmouse Member Posts: 244
    No

I feel like Spine Chill is insanely useful. More so then Dead Hard DS Unbreakable bcoh. Like I know where you are Mr.Killer but you'll never find me.

Maybe it's time some perks have a punishment system for using them or come with downsides.

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274
    Yes

Fair enough!

Honestly, it was more of a 'oh, drat' when I was lower MMR. Now that I'm much higher in the ranks - I never see any interesting perks like Spine Chill, so my opinion may be sadly outdated or disconnected. :(

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513
    edited April 2022
    No

It should still work for premonition, but not spine chill.

That way spine chill isn't a direct upgrade to premonition.

edit: also, devoted stealth killers shouldn't have lullabies. (looking at you, Onryo and Wraith.)

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    No

It completely destroys killers that are already considered weak. It shouldn’t work on Undetectable or Oblivious.

• JamnJelly

I play primarily stealth builds when I can. It was a thought I had, considering I see it about once a game. It's definitely not a bad perk to run, although I do like how someone brought up that it can outshine premonition.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited April 2022
    Yes

Without it, Spine Chill would become a lot less useful, it would probably be used only in vault builds. It's currently the only counter-perk to killers without the terror radius, and still it's easily countered by not having tunnel vision on your objective. The only exception to this are Myers and Ghostface: if anything I would make it so stalking deactivates Spine Chill.

• JamnJelly

In the case of stalking, I believe you'd pick up on it blinking so you would recognize you're being stalked.

The point of most no terror radius killers/builds is to be able to get the jump on survivors. It's basically a better premonition as it stands rn.