What's stopping you from using different perks?

I see threads about how boring things have become or how you "need" meta perks to win all the time. If it's truly that boring to play with the same perks all the time, then why not use different one? Get creative, get random, challenge yourself and use bad Perks, do something! If you win, awesome you did it! If you lose, no big deal, you are playing for fun or you finally have a challenge.

If none of what I've said seems appealing then maybe it's time to move on, but I encourage people to think about it at least.

Comments

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

I usually use non meta perks, I don't really care about dbd as much as I did before, now I just play for fun chases with billy.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,164
    edited April 2022

I use non-meta perks (well I use BBQ & Chilli but no one really considers that meta cause it's so powerful, it's meta because the grind is so awful)

I also pretty routinely get my ass kicked :D

Is there a correlation? Possibly. I might also not be very good. Or probably both!

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,940

I feel handicapped without borrowed time either than that my loadout is 3 random perks

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Some spikes don't want to have to choose between optimal gameplay and fun gameplay. I think that's a valid concern.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,992

As survivor; if I play without BT, I'm inevitably going to end up in situations where I get my teammates killed or let them die. There's too much camping/tunneling not to have a shield against it.

As killer, I do switch up my builds somewhat, but I need either Ruin, Pop, or Pain Resonance to keep gens in check, and I'm addicted to BBQ for both the bloodpoints and the convenient timing that it gives you info. The other two slots are more up for grabs, but I like Corrupt and Plaything.

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,689

Bbq - points is why.

Pop/Surge - I've played this game without slowdown. It is the most infuriating experience unless you play a killer that can get very quick downs, and even then, maps can make you still use them.

Blood Echo - Dead Hard. That's why.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,676

On survivor I basically never use more than two meta perks at a time and try to create some interesting builds with perks that aren't used as often.

• TurboTOne
    TurboTOne Member Posts: 347

because i need kindred to know whats going on in SoloQ.

I take BT because i would be a hypocrit for saying i hate People unhooking me without BT

I take Windows because i have terrible Map Awareness

And then there is this One Perk Slot that is reserved for any Perk i need for a Challenge.

I like to run No Perk though. Its just so nice to escape a Game without the help of any Perk but just your raw skill.

• Rokjer
    Rokjer Member Posts: 169
    edited April 2022

I play a lot with Blast Mine, although it is not very useful. It just amuses me to manage to trap the killer with that.

Otherwise, with the current meta being way too camp/tunnel, I feel compelled to bring DS and BT to successfully play more than two minutes. And I need WoO for chase.

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794

I've spent 5 years playing the game with a minimum of meta perks just to try and keep things fun for everybody and build positivity, but starting this past weekend the level of intensity from SBMM finally made me revise that - and I'm not happy with the results.

Trying to play killer with M1 characters like Legion or Sadako becomes an exercise in frustration because every game I get slapped with survivors bringing 4 DHs, strong items, and slamming me with 2nd chance perks. It makes me desperate to see survivors running literally anything else

But then I play survivor and half my games are against Nurses with absurdly powerful builds where if you don't bring DH you just die immediately.

Clearly everyone is playing as 'sweaty' as possible because that's the only way to stay competitive, but it's now making me feel like a dupe for trying to be the odd man out, which is especially enraging when survivors clobber my weak killers by giving themselves massive advantages and then tbag me at the exit gates.

After 3000 hours in the game I'm getting super fed up and am seriously considering quitting for good. Don't worry though... Even if I leave there are still *loooooads* of other killer mains still playing the game.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

I love to try different builds as killer (Moonwalking/stealth Hag is one of my favorites).

As survivor I kind of have to run DS/Unbreakable/Deliverance because of the amount of tunnelling/slugging killers and bad farming teammates.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146

Since I have just installed it on PC, none of my characters are levelled at all so I have no choice but to use different perks until their levelled lol.

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 809

From killer POV: When I play a killer that's not a top tier Nurse/Blight/etc, I can't play without full slowdown build or the game will end before i'll walk up to 1 gen.

As for my survivor games, i'm completely handicapped without BT. Every other perk can be an absolute clown meme fiesta and the games will just fly by, cuz playing survivor is so easy

• RenRen
    RenRen Member Posts: 1,443

I do switch up my build on survivor occasionally but I always bring DS. As for killer I only switch up 1 perk while rest are bbq, no way out, and corrupt. I want to use more interesting builds but I don't like losing over and over especially when it wasn't even a fun match.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Insecurity

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

I don't use meta perk other then spine chill.

• conqueror_worm__
    conqueror_worm__ Member Posts: 96

I main survivor, I always make sure I have BT and Kindred on, I tend to switch between the other perks and just try things out, I've been using the pebble perk just lately (diversion or deception or something like that) and its been great fun

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

Because no one likes to lose everytime they stray from what works. That's never fun.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

As a survivor: Nothing, I reframe from using meta perks because they cover up for a lack of skill

As a killer: we're forced to run meta perks because of we don't, the game ends in less than 3 minutes

• Jivetalkin13
    Jivetalkin13 Member Posts: 747

Okay. That means you can get to the next game faster, what's wrong with that?

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

What do you mean "What's wrong with that"?

What are you suppose to learn in 3 minutes when you maybe spent 30s barley learning anything?

• cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 407

What's stopping me? Tunnelling and camping killers and the extremely boring gameplay of hanging on a hook or bleeding on the ground until dead. The perks I use directly work towards keeping me and my teammates from suffering in this state.

I honestly could careless about escaping, I just want to be actively participating in the game. So many times, I've given a camping bubba and extra sacrifice when I try to get the camped survivor off the hook during endgame collapse. When/if I fail, I lose 5k bloodpoints, but when I succeed it is glorious. When I fail I lose MMR and my future matches will be easier, when I escape my MMR will rise and I will get more challenging. Either outcome doesn't matter so why sweat it at all.

And in case your wondering, the build is Iron Will, Bond, Borrowed Time, and Sprint Burst.

• Jivetalkin13
    Jivetalkin13 Member Posts: 747

Games are only as fun as you make them. You can get no kills or no hooks and still figure out how to have fun. If you are getting pissed off at how fast a game is going, so what? The next one could be better. If it isn't, the next one. If you've truly lost hope that you won't have fun, shut the game off.

All this assuming you are bored of the Perks you're running and aren't having fun anymore. The words above are for anyone that might feel that way. Not specifically you.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184
  • Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

Other perks aren't just "Not that strong" they're also unfun and kinda flat.

I bet you forgot that Lightweight was a perk, right? Not only does it do nothing good - it's not even flashy!

Bad but enjoyable perks like Deception and Flip Flop can even pay off at times.

But, C'mon Sole Survivor? No Mither? Red Herring? Why would I run these things? Boring as heck and are going to get me sent back to cue faster than not.

Unnerving Presence? Unrelenting? Monstrous Shrine? Geesh - save me the time and disconnect me. I don't even care if I win, but at least give me a blanket if you're trying to bore me to sleep with my own killer gameplay.