lgbtism either can't be illness or phobic

Options
124»

Comments

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,087
    Options

I'm mainly here just for the entertainment value at this point.

But you can still talk about something and not care.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939
    edited May 2022
    Options

Dude, what are you arguing? I'm personally happy with David. Love his new shirt. + shades.

But it was implied he was heterosexual. A developer specifically wrote a very detailed post that they decided to make David gay because out of all the existing (free) survivors, it seemed the best fit. Which meant he was never originally intended to be gay or perhaps, like most survivors, he was at the most ambiguous with heterosexual implications (I think this might be your point? Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe you're saying the fact that many survivors lore being ambiguous and having no confirmed sexual orientation means no revisions happened?). Regardless, they added to his lore and took it in a different direction. Fantastic (for me).

My point is, all of this is very dependent on people's interpretation of David. It's OK to have different interpretations. For some, him having a g/f heavily influenced their assumptions. Thus. some might find it a bit of a revision to an existing character, and in that way, see it as 'forced inclusion"; and that does not make them in any way homophobic. They're just processing it. And there's a discussion to be had. As I said earlier in the thread, for BHVR it was a Catch 22. If they made a new survivor that was DLC then they would be accused of cashing in on the rainbow and chasing after the gay $$.

If these players suddenly said; " Well screw this! I'm never playing David again! IEW.". That's different and granted, I might side-eye somewhat. My whole point, is that everyone criticizing the release of this is not automatically a bigoted twat.

• CluelessWanderer
    edited May 2022
    Options

You're not worth my time.

@Mooks is, because he's a good guy and actually discusses things respectfully even if it's a disagreement.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,370
    Options

Okay but by the definition of a retcon it wasn't one. A retcon would imply he was confirmed straight and then suddenly the devs said "Nope he's gay now." It was never confirmed what his sexuality was and now it's been 'revealed' that he's gay.

• Mint_
    Mint_ Member Posts: 52
    Options

David King is a fictional character. If we need to add more depth to an already irrelevant subject, might as well do it for representation right?

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,561
    Options

I never said anything of the likes that somebody or you specifically were a bigoted twat or homophobic or anything.

yes my point was only that he was always left ambiguous, and him being revealed as gay isn’t a retcon it the actual literal sense. Or any addition of lore through tomes can be considered retcons and then… why only ever mention this when it’s LGBTQ+ related?

and assuming someone can’t be gay because they had a heterosexual relationship is kinda ‚latent homophobic‘? Sorry i can’t express this term in English but i don’t mean it’s kn any way due to actual hatred but it’s actually a very good example of how this kind of representation is important and why David is a great choice after all! This is a story of David finding out himself who he is and going through phases and having to with his and his families struggles with the fact that he is gay.

the devs are always for any new story looking at a char and ‚randomly‘ decide new stuff they add. This is part of their story writing. But we also know that they have created one of their original survivors with being LGBTQ+ in mind while not revealing who that is. And chances are, this could have been David all along and the girlfriend (which iirc was mentioned in a tome around the time they made that statement about inclusion) could have very well be always intended to be for him what we now know.

• CluelessWanderer
    Options

I understand your position. I really do, and I actually agree with a lot of it. At the same time, I can also understand things from other people's perspectives as well. I personally would have preferred they did the lore, and released this information about David through the tome and didn't announce with a mega-phone.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,206
    Options

so you think all survivors are straight no matter what,how you know this wasn't they idea from the get go they wanted David gay.

you don't read the lore yet you know 100% David was straight before this I think you need to get your head out of the sand.

• NekoGamerX
    Options

ok yea they shouldn't of posted made big deal let us find out he gay for are self's in tome but fact remain is there thing in his tome that say he 100% straight before now

Yes he had a girlfriend means nothing my boyfriend I been with for 16 years been with many woman and men why sexuality is a gray area people change find thing out about them self late in life this maybe what happened with David.

I'm glad your happy about David I say read his new tome.

• Bran
    Options
  • NekoGamerX
    Options

how you know this? I mean you have anything to back it up? really now.

I know you don't because no survivors or killers have said what they sexuality really is

felix happy marriage (straight)

legion straight couples (straight)

nurse and wraith relationship (straight)

and now David being gay (gay)

they all in the tome right now but only now you care because it got to do with someone being gay

all killers and survivors don't have a sexuality or anything till the writers put it in the tomes nothing canon till the dev and writers put it in the game and in the tome.

• Norhc
    Norhc Member Posts: 575
    Options
  • Bran
    Options

He had a girlfriend. He was straight until they just made him gay. If they made Julie gay, then it would be the same thing.

• NekoGamerX
    Options

dude my partner has had a girlfriend before me and we been together for 16 years now

no ones gay or straight or whatever till it in the tome

dev and writers say who straight or gay not you.

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910
    edited May 2022
    Options

people when they realize gay men can have girlfriends because they did not realize they were gay at that point in time, or as cover from homophobic parents/etc:

People who have an issue with this stuff need to get over themselves and grow up.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,561
    Options

People like you are the reason why we need representation like David. You can’t grasp the thought of a gay man having had a relationship with a girl in their past and you are desperately clinging to this statement (which you admitted you didn’t even know about the first time you said David was straight).

Educate yourself. And read David’s tome lore. Then come back and try to give actual arguments against David’s reveal. Because as of yet others were able to give arguments but you are just like a stubborn child that can’t accept they were wrong about something.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    Options

Oh my God I said this with overwatch and I'll say it again if you didn't care about the characters sexuality then it being revealed should mean nothing to you.

I remember one time informing someone of the sexuality reveal and their main response was "OK cool I guess" and that was it the conversation ended why because they didn't care.

If you have to go out of your way to make a big massive post about it you clearly cares about the characters sexuality and you're not happy with what it turned out to be.

The reason why I mentioned this specifically is because the second it was stated that David had an ex-girlfriend in a previous tome there was no backlash where was this post when that reveal happened.

( The same thing goes for tracer and soldier 76 from overwatch if it was revealed that they were straight. I bet you nobody would be complaining about the sexuality doesn't matter there's no point in revealing it.

As for those specific characters in general do you want to know the funny thing the community made it more important than their actual story not the creators or the people doing the lore. Those who spent hours whining about the soldier reveal made it more important.

Soldiers reveal was a very small vague blink and you would miss it three sentence reveal in a much bigger and more impactful story to had a point where it had to be clarified because it was vague.

In fact is so hilarious that you mention being made the most important thing about the character because the reveal wasn't even the main point of that section. It was that soldier was too obsessed with work to actually hold a proper relationship whether he was dating a guy or a girl literally meant nothing to that point. Instead of Vincent he could have been dating Vanessa and nothing would have been lost because the sexuality and the gender of the person he was dating wasn't the point.)

For the love of God get off your soapbox you have no clue what the hell you're talking about and you're just mouth breathing things you've heard before.

• SpaghettiYOLO
    SpaghettiYOLO Member Posts: 234
    Options

'Nobody cared about sexual orientation.'

Tell me you never paid attention to forum posts, Twitter posts, and fan art without telling me you never paid attention to forum posts, Twitter posts, and fan art.

Personally, I don't care. It doesn't bother me, it makes a portion of the player base happy, and it's a step toward being all inclusive, which if you don't know, will eventually lead to things like that being the norm, which means it won't always be a big deal. But that's down a pretty long road.