Community too toxic for leavers penalty

In all honesty, this games community is faaaaar too toxic for there being a leavers penalty without exceptions, and i do not care for speech toxicity, it goes over my head and i ignore it, it has no real effect, its the toxic ACTIONS that 90% of people seem to never bring up.

I live a busy and stressful life due to work and other time consuming activities, few times i manage to relax and have fun is playing games and i cannot stress enough how bipolar Dead by Daylight makes me at times, one moment im immersing myself in a horror game, managing to outsmart the killer into going off somewhere else remaining undetected, next im laughing my sides off watching space billy breaking the stratosphere... But third and most common by far is anger and frustration when what little i have time is being wasted by being camped, tunneled or especially as a killer messed with non-stop by full swf squads, i am not against body blocking, flashlight saves, even looping at times but there is a way to go about it and just all 3 people bodyblocking me non-stop during chases, running off to quickly heal and then go back to it is frustrating, same with doing it before even a single hook of the match, non-stop running in to blind me every second before recharging flashlight with built to last, non-stop baiting for endless chases...

Im sorry, maybe its just me but i get full squads like these maybe 6-7/10 matches a day on average and i cannot bother wasting time by standing and waiting for a match to end after 30 minutes of them just holding me hostage basically when i know 5 matches ahead of me will be the same.

When everything plays out the game is fun, amazing even when i lose due to just not being good enough, but in the last 2 years these matches have gotten rarer, now i lose by default either by not being allowed to play a killer to begin with for 30 minutes or by leaving, im at 24 hour ban by the point and it doesn't make me wanna stop leaving, it just makes me wanna stop giving more money to a game i once loved just for its community to further abuse me and others be it killer or survivor.

Now i know all the common responses "Play this killer/these perks" the game has customizable builds and variety of fun playstyles that im supposed to just not be able to use at all? "Stop playing the game" i've dedicated time, money and effort to it, all of you know this not an option

But enough about that, venting is nice but actual solutions are needed and in my opinion system need to be scripted for it, leaving would still use up items and addons just the ban for leaving would be removed in these specific cases, my personal idea is:

If a hooked survivor has been within killers terror radius for entirety of one hook state (Including if unhooked and hooked again if terror radius hasn't been broken for more than 10 seconds) they get a free leave, if they have been hooked twice within 3 minutes without anybody else getting hooked between, free leave.

If a survivor has been on the ground for 3/4's of their dying states bar it too should be a free leave.

For killers if they're matched against a minimum of 3 swf's they can get a free leave, im sorry but its only fair, 3 survivors is enough to abuse the killer and with matchmaking basically not working getting even 2 swf's who are coordinated is painful but im generous with minimum 3.

If a killer has actively moved and chased and attacked survivors for 5 minutes without a single hook then its a free leave

If 3 or more generators were done in 3 minutes or less then its a free leave.

All of these in my opinion and displaying swf's in lobby for the killer would certainly help reduce a lot of frustrations this game causes and help better the community, nobody should be punished for DARING to ruin fun of someone who's fun is to ruin others fun, focus on actual Toxicity more please because actions will always have more effect than words.

Feel free to give your opinions on my suggested changes.

Comments

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,615

my personal suggestion is to play survivor or to change game... killer is always the most frustrating part of the game and this won't change... just avoid dc, i can understand if you have a cheater in your game, but dc only cause the match isn't going as you wanted or cause you have toxic people in it is selfish imo

• kate_best_girl
    kate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,184

I never understood why killers have DC penalties since them leaving means 0 to survivors and as a survivor you're rewarded for it

• Yankus
    Yankus Member Posts: 638

It's a 1v4 PvP "horror" game. Probably not the best choice if you want something relaxing.

• JoByDaylight
    JoByDaylight Member Posts: 707

I can highly relate to this. If i'm lucky I get to play 5-6 games a day, but most of the times it is 2-3. There is simply not enough hours per day...

It is very frustrating when you just want to play a chill and fun game, but end up with such toxic idiots.

My take is just to TRY to be very casual about this game and not taking it seriously at all. Still has moments that are very frustrating, you can't be without them.

What feels worst is that the bad moments last longer than the good ones. This is basic psychology. I believe I have read that 1 bad needs 7 goods to even out or something. Having that in mind this game is horrible for those that cannot cope with the toxic and absolute sweatheads of a lot of players.

Hope you find your joy in this game again! :)

• amazing_grace
    amazing_grace Member Posts: 734

I do kind of agree that killers shouldn't get a timeout penalty if they DC because truly if a killer DC, it just gives survivors free points and doesn't really hurt anyone.

On the other hand though, when the DC penalty wasn't there, I was getting a lot of games where killers would just DC mid-way through if things weren't going their way which can be frustrating for survivor when you're trying to complete certain challenges/dailies that require you to escape or open an exit gate. It becomes super hard to complete these because you either get stomped and can't get it or you never reach that point because the killer DC.

There's been many times where I have had rough games where I have wanted to DC, but I always stick it out and sometimes those games turn into a 3k or 4k because the survivors make a mistake and I can take advantage of it. The thing I've learned from playing from both sides is that the killer can turn it around even if they are at 0 hooks with 3 gens done.

I don't necessarily agree with the survivors being given a free leave if they are being camped on hook/tunnelled because I have had many games where the survivor on hook can buy the team enough time to get a 3 man out. Just because you are going to die from the killer using these tactics doesn't mean that you can't punish the killer by buying your team time. It may make your game last 1 minute longer, but staying in the game for that minute could be the altruistic move that makes your teammates have an enjoyable game.

I'm not too fond of the DC penalty being a time ban, but I personally don't know of a better way to fix this. I have had my game crash mid-match which gives me a penalty. The game can't tell why a person DC, so they just have to punish the action as a whole. I definitely think they need some type of punishment because a DC can ruin the game for everyone else.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

In 2300 hours I disconnected once in 2017 as a nurse on Haddonfield. After that, I decided that I will keep any hard-earned blood points by staying until the end no matter the role. I never understood playing hard and then disconnecting to lose all those blood points. The game cannot function if everyone who is having a bad game just leaves.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

Maybe those 4 ppl will realize that they're ruining it for themselves and stop bullying just to be toxic? Who am I kidding. They won't.

Point being, if they're going to bully the killer out of the match then they don't deserve fun. Hell, some of them would be having more fun because the killer quit.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

yea they should be able to leave like it match been long there like 2 or 1 gen left killer should be able to leave with out penalty.

the penalty does nothing for survivors anyways they going to DC anyways or kill them self on first hook killers can't do anything till the game end if it ends.

• Somna
    Somna Member Posts: 130

This is exactly why there's a d/c penalty. Whenever they remove it, the d/c rate skyrockets because so many entitled players bail at times like being the first one downed, being picked up by the killer, when 3 gens pop at once 2 minutes into the round, and so on. It makes it that much more frustrating to try to get through a game.

• Sepex
    Sepex Member Posts: 1,451

Welcome to the forums & use Starstruck .

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Here's the problem.

This community isn't just toxic, it's become basically radioactive - and having no DC penalty actually makes things worse, as people will DC and ruin the game for everyone else the second something doesn't go their way, or just because.

I agree that this community needs some reason not to treat each other so horribly, but this isn't it.

• Nos37

Starstruck + Agitation, if you want to manage mindgames, baits, and cooldowns.

OR

Lightborn + Forced Penance (or play Onryo and walk through bodyblocks), if you're lazy and just want to play mindlessly

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited May 2022

If you think these games that you can just go afk for and in 5 minutes the match is over are bad, you must have not played actual, competitive games, where you have to sit through it for 20 minutes or more if your teammates decide it, like LoL. You're stuck in a 100% losing scenario and you can't leave or you eat progressively long bans. A hard pill to swallow is this community has always been and always will be this way. It wasn't so bad 4-5 years ago when your playerbase was 10k people, but that is not your market human being anymore

• selflessnea
    selflessnea Member Posts: 565

One thing that might help make the game more bearable is if you were to play with a friend. Even if it is survivor or killer just having someone to vent with and talk crap with makes every thing better. They might also keep you humble and call you out on any BS you claim is happening.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

Yep, this. You probably shouldn’t be playing the game at all if it triggers you this much.

• Somna
    Somna Member Posts: 130

I can't comment about Starstruck, but I know Lightborn is so rarely used that people don't seem to realize it's why the blinds aren't working. It's once they realize you are using it that the d/cs commence.

• Nos37
    edited May 2022

Even with Lightborn I will still quickly look away so the survivor chalks it up to mistiming and tries it again later, wasting more time.

• Furgoe
    Furgoe Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2022

While I can see all sorts of ways a no/relaxed DC penalty can get abused as someone that has never DC'ed I'm usually not surprised when someone does. I'm not totally against author's main conceit.

This game is not balanced to any sort of competitive level and we should stop pretending otherwise. Plenty of games that wanted to be super restrictive and foster a tight competitive scene but failed have gone the way of relaxing leave penalties, Heroes of the Storm and a couple of other MOBAs come to mind.

I can't name a single other game where I can, within the confines of the game's own rules, completely hijack the game and make it miserable. This is fine but I'm unconvinced that it shouldn't come with a way for people to just leave it stuff descends into utter nonsense.