Anti-Aliasing change

zaw1337
zaw1337 Member Posts: 14
edited April 2022 in Polls

so since last update now BHVR forced us to have Anti-Aliasing (AA) on for everyone and  5.7.0 patch removed the ability to disable anti-aliasing from modifying config.

Should they add back an option to disable Anti Aliasing ?

Anti-Aliasing change 61 votes

Yes
95%
mistar_zWoodywoolMiriamGKrissPLAYAngelicus23LaUrynot_QueefMert_MKBlazelskiReikoMorimusstang62fckingdbddevsInsaneCoasterRoboMojoPurgatorianWoolfyseffardWarcrafter4randonlyTatariu 58 votes
No
3%
AndehXValik 2 votes
Other
1%
VolantConch1719 1 vote

Comments

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,013
    Yes

They WHAT?!

I hate DBD's method of anti-aliasing, it makes the game blurry and overall looks ugly. If this is the case, then I'm annoyed by this unnecessary change because I always turn off anti-aliasing for DBD.

I'll have to check out DBD, haven't popped it open today, haha.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,013
    Yes

Yeeeep they did it, lovely. My game looks goofy ahh hell now, I wish BHVR could learn that blurring the screen and anti-aliasing are two completely different things. If they didn't learn, why force people out of anti-aliasing?

Although I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe it's a bug, but who knows.

• Woolfy
    Woolfy Member Posts: 6
    Yes

I noticed forced anti-aliasing as well and am trying to find a way to get rid of it. They do it pretty much every major update. It's hard for me to enjoy the game with all that blur.

If they'll leave the blur situation like this I won't be able to play the game, cause this blur is that much for me personally

• DerZuntor
    DerZuntor Member Posts: 293
    edited April 2022
    Yes

The game just looks blurry AF if you don't use ReShade or Nvidia Filters to sharpen it.

• InsaneCoaster
    InsaneCoaster Member Posts: 305
    Yes

I've seen games quite literally designed to be played by kids that have a better selection of graphics settings than DBD.

The fact you even had to make config changes to simply toggle AA is crazy. The option should be reenabled and put in the in-game settings for all to use.

• TeitokuIppan
    TeitokuIppan Member Posts: 6
    Yes

Always turned it off because it was blurry and it was a bit of a performance hit just to blur the screen, honestly wish DBD had a better AA implementation or even went down the DLSS route

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274
    No

The only reason I'm saying "No" is because I think it's a little more complex than a single on-off switch.

First off - they shouldn't be letting anyone change with the settings in the ini files - plain and simple.

Nobody should be messing with those. Anti-Cheat should be strong enough to pummel discrepancies into the ground.

However, I'd normally suggest a switch in the Options menu.

My only issue is that this may have some unforeseen consequences - similar to the unfair advantages granted by the vertical aspect ratios that were previously supported by the game.

There's a reason there isn't a brightness, gamma, or audio mix select options in the menu - because it is intended to be broadly fair and of equal play for all considered.

That being said, if AA did not seem to have an advantageous effect in certain circumstances, I don't see why they shouldn't have a switch in the option menu to support such players.

• AndehX
    AndehX Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2022
    No

I'd say no, because really, there is no reason to be disabling anti-aliasing. If your computer isn't fast enough to run the game with it, then upgrade. It's as simple as that really.

• alonee
    alonee Member Posts: 16
    Yes

How come people "upgrade simply", some people are playing the game on a work laptop or an old computer ?

Some others are living in very poor nations ? E.g. I live in Algeria (located in North Africa) and a lot of people here cannot afford a computer due to the fees and inexistence of online shopping, therefore it's rare for someone to have a good computer, yet i know a few people that play the game and they rely on the Anti-Aliasing to play the game.

• Ula
    Ula Member Posts: 276
    Yes

The game looks blurred as hell in low, and if I play in low, it's because I don't want my laptop to get super hot. Fortunately nvidia filters help removing that blur, but it's still quite ugly, more ugly if there weren't AA.

• zaw1337
    zaw1337 Member Posts: 14
    Yes

You are right, by the way even if you don't face laggy games it's so annoying to have blurry gameplay because of AA.

PS: I'm from Algeria too. If you wanna add me on Discord (Ryad#0834)

• Valik
    No

Ah yes,

Saying players should have a switch and not be editing INI files is super not knowledgable.

Also saying that I'm skeptical as to the potential cheese that can come out of such a switch makes me ultra not knowledgable and not at all doing my best to be reasonable.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    Yes

What happens to the people who can't afford to upgrade? Especially now with everything costing a lot more than last year.

• Valik
    No

What are you talking about?

Educate myself on what? That's needlessly rude and suspiciously vague.

The differences between MSAA, TXAA, SSAA, and MLAA?

Ever occur to you that there's a reason players cant change their brightness or chroma in the options menu as other games have?

Ever wonder why certain resolutions aren't supported by the game, or why its field of view cannot be modified?

Last I checked, these were basic graphic settings - and they have been stunted from the game because the developers deem them to be abusable by sweaty players.

No, I do not think they should revert the change to let players edit their INI files.

t's not my call, but if there isn't a good reason for the devs to force AA - then they should give people a switch.

There is nothing ignorant or uncivil about this statement, which is not what I can say for yours.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    Yes

Easy Anti-Cheat and most other anti-cheats don't care so much about your ini as the config ini is the file that is meant to be changed. They're also looking for third party program hooks than a simple number change. Sometimes you actually need to tinker with dbd's ini as this game has a history of just not responding to in-game configuration changes.

• Valik
    No

I totally agree that this is both how it is and how it has been.

Going forward, though, the devs should give players a stable experience and options without forcing them to modify the ini files.

Overall - the ini files should be sacred, never modified in an online game like this - but I support that the devs should give a stable and considerate experience in-client instead of depending on modifications to their core files.