Grades go down

Options

My grade changed from 2 to 3. Is this a new system or a bug?

Comments

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,384
    Options

Do you mean your pips? Those can still go down, yes. Your grade (ie, Ash 2, Gold 1, etc.) cannot fall to a lower number once you've reached it.

• Kanchanabry
    Kanchanabry Member Posts: 113
    Options

I mean the number falls to a lower number when I lose a pip.

• foxofthestars
    foxofthestars Member Posts: 157
    Options

I believe it is currently a bug. I experienced it myself as I went from grade red 2 to grade red 3. I saw a comment on the DBD FB saying that they went from a grade red 4 to a grade gold 1.

• Kanchanabry
    Options

Has anyone seen an official comment on this issue?

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,088
    Options

I haven't played much this year but wasn't the grade system setup that you can't drop from on color down to another like you can't go from gold back to silver or from iri back to gold but could very much go from gold 3 back to gold 4?

At least that's what I remember. You CAN'T drop between divisions but CAN drop from tiers inside those divisions.

• Souplet
    Souplet Member Posts: 319
    Options

Not anymore since the mmr

Now grades dont matter the slightest and you can onmy go up. When you are iri rank 1 you cant go down until reset even if you afk 10 games

• burt0r
    Options

I know that it's now only used for the monthly reward and then hard reset but i still think i remember that you only are protected from losing color grades and not sub tiers.

But whatever i already don't play the game anymore and thought of giving my more or less helpful input here 😂

• burt0r
    edited May 2022
    Options

I think I found the problem.

This is a screenshot from the wiki page and here it says "grades cannot be lost".

But:

In this screenshot from the same page further down we can see that some grades might be handled separately like for example here "bronze IV" and "bronze III-I".

So you can drop from bronze 3 down to bronce 4 but can drop from bronze 1 to bronze 3.

But all this is to be taken with the fact that this is still a publicly handled wiki and might not be correct.

Edit: here the full list

And I guess the blank lines indicate the drop barriers.

• Souplet
    Options

Thats outdated

As i told you, you cant go down, whatever your rank is

• burt0r
    edited May 2022
    Options

And would you be so kind to tell me when that was change is supposed to have happened?

Because I went and checked the patch notes for 5.3-5.7 and only 5.5 mentions grades in relation to two issues with one achievement and accidental grade hard reset because of 5.5.1 and none mention depiping or dropping in ranks or grades or anything in that regard.

Edit: Fyi for anyone, grades came with patch 5.2

• Souplet
    Options

I dont know, im just telling you that it dont go down anymore as a personnal insight since i noticed it a while ago

I dont read patch notes thorougly and i don't have the history of the game known by heart

• burt0r
    Options

Then your argument is only subjective anecdotal evidence and isn't helpful for the op in this thread.

Yes, you can't go down from iri1. Your original statement, which is even supported by my "research" (see the complete list at the bottom, iri1 has its own drop safety line).

But you don't know if the downward transition from iri 2 to iri 3, like the op is asking, is no longer possible unlike the indication in the wiki.

So until a dev or mod gives us a official statement we don't know what's true.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,548
    Options

If your grade is decreasing at all then that’s a bug. You can lose pips within your current grade, but you cannot fall back to lower grades if you have no more pips to lose in your current grade.

(from 5.2.0 patchnotes)

• Souplet
    Options

I made it obvious when i said "you cant go down anymore"

Its the same at every rank. You can depip but you cant derank, you'll get "brutal killer" when you dont have any pip left.

If that is not true enough for you, go ahead and try it, if thats still not good enough, i don't care anymore

• burt0r
    edited May 2022
    Options

And both of you completely disregard the definition of a grade as shown in the table.

Iri 4-2 are regarded as ONE grade, according to the wiki. So dropping from iri 2 to iri 3 might not be a bug.

Edit: But hey you know what? I have my input and you gave yours.

Either you are right and it is a bug and it will get fixed or i am right and nothing is going to happen. Bye.

• Kanchanabry
    Options

One person on Twitter reported this bug to the devs then they say they don't find any problem so it's just a result of the match. That means the devs haven't acknowledged the bug yet.

• Alionis
    Alionis Member Posts: 969
    Options

"Iri 4-2 are regarded as ONE grade, according to the wiki. So dropping from iri 2 to iri 3 might not be a bug." Where did you get that idea from? Cause that is not the case and the wiki makes no such claim.

• Alionis
    Options

The issue here isn't the wiki, it's you misunderstanding it.

• burt0r
    edited May 2022
    Options

Then please explain the individual block arrangement (red) coupled with individual pip amount (yellow) and overall depip/pip/doublepip schematic (green) for each block.

For me the fact ash, bronze, silver, gold and iridescent are called grades and 4-1 are called sublevel plus the arrangement indicates that you can drift up and down inside a grade (exception bronze 4 and iri 1) but can't go down from one grade to the other.

• foxofthestars
    foxofthestars Member Posts: 157
    Options
  • Alionis
    edited May 2022
    Options

You really need to read the article again.

What YOU call grades is not what the wiki calls grades, so stop claiming it does. The wiki is not responsible for when you don't read things right. Your claim is essentially that Ash is a grade, silver another, gold another, etc. Specifically, your claim is that the groupings shown in the table, which are because of the different pip conditions (green circles) and not because of anything else, are grades with varying levels. That's wrong and not what the wiki says at all. What the wiki says, if you read it right, is that grades come in 5 qualities and each quality has 4 levels to it before the next. It's the same thing as the old crest colors, nothing else. That means that Ash IV is a grade, Ash III is the next higher up, Gold II is one, Iridescent III is one, etc.

The subdivisions (red circles) only exist this way because the devs effectively replaced every single rank with its corresponding grade when the original change happened. Since different ranks had different pip conditions, to make it more difficult to reach high ranks, and the devs never changed those conditions when switching to grades, the same arbitrary subdivisions still apply: it's harder to grade up the higher your grade is. you see this in the tally screen, with the pip thresholds increasingly moving toward the right side of the grading bar (yellow circles).

As for the green circles, they just tell you what the yellow circles mean. Up to Bronze IV, you cannot lose pips in your current grade, that's again a carry-over from the old ranking system, to make it easier on low-ranked players. Again, that's just something that's never been changed since the switch. As for grades that have a depip condition, that doesn't mean you can lose a grade. You can lose pips within your grade, but you still can't go past zero, as degrading (which is not the same thing as depipping) is no longer possible outside of bugs. If you have Gold III and 2 pips and you depipped in your last two games, you'd be at Gold III and 0 pips. If you depip in the next game as well, you stay at Gold III and 0 pips, as once again, degrading is impossible. It's a hard border the depip cannot cross.

Again, you main misconception here is your misunderstanding of what is a grade. The subdivisions in the red circle are not grades, they are groups of grades. Iridescent I is a special grade as it's the highest possible grade, hence why it no longer has a pip condition. You can't pip past Iridescent I.