The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

About David sexuality

124»

Comments

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

I could be assuming and exaggerating, but things can always happen.

• TheDarkTyrant
    TheDarkTyrant Member Posts: 2,074
  • Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

well, it is at least noticeable that there haven’t been any threads about this and how much people don’t care about lore/want it actively be limited outside of LGBTQ+ topics.

but then again you are right, I don’t know if you have already given feedback on this before. Have you though?

• SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910
    edited May 2022

"Why do characters have to be confirmed gay?"

It's almost like the automatic assumption the "default" is being cisgender heterosexual is flawed and not having more explicitly confirmed LGBT+ characters commonly is what helps fuel said misconception, cause for some reason, people automatically think anyone not confirmed is cisgender heterosexual.

And then you have some people who actually understand that and say it should be left unconfirmed, specifically so they can pretend it doesn't exist since it's not confirmed.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

I hate this I mean there has been many heterosexual confirmed pretty much in the lore no one cared but now that David one survivor is confirmed gay everyone upset

double standard in this forum is sad.

• Dabrownman1812
    Dabrownman1812 Member Posts: 1,857

Part of the issue with david king, is that in the q and a, they admitted it's done for speed, to make a character lgbtq as fast as possible plus the fan art. For everyone who says, wow, you don't know if they imagined him to be gay. No, they added that literally with the utmost speed to hurry in an lgbtq character onto someone who had a girlfriend before because there was a lot of shipping and fan demand. This is clearly community appeasement. They literally hit all the check boxes of that in the q&a. Nothing wrong with having and lgbtq character in here, it's just exceedingly clear that even according to them, this was something done really fast to put in an lgbtq character as soon as possible. For those who think I'm crazy, or wrong that this was thoughtfully done, can check out it out.

• Dabrownman1812

Retroactive, he wasn't gay, they made him gay recently. They also talk about how they collabed to write it retroactively to make it sound natural, but he was literallt just stamped to be gay. Nothing wrong with him being gay, I just think inclusion can be handled better than "they like this character and have ship art so let's do this asap just to push content out." Sounds like they didn't have the care in mind so it's haphazardly done. I just want the lore and love to naturally be there. People shouldn't force people who aren't straight to be straight either, not a believer in conversion therapy to appease the masses. Be free to be who you are. A character with that in mind, would be an amazing character and I'd probably main someone like that regardless of orientation.

• Mooks

It’s literally stated the reveal was decided on for speed, not the decision that David was gay. And no where is there confirmed it was done because of community fan art or anything.

also, even though they said it was because of speed, it still took almost 2 years since their promise and many people already have criticized them for announcing it and then not delivering.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,742

If 2 years was speed then I dread to think what them taking their time is like-

Oh wait, we know what it's like, and it's 2-3 years while speed is a couple of weeks (see old Freddy). So, I'll have to agree with @Mooks that it was the announcement they got out ASAP while the consultation (with actual LGBT+ individuals, for the record, who decided David would be the best choice because of his pre-existing and pre-established personality traits) was not the rushed part.

• Dabrownman1812

They worked on it and you're assuming speed. When did they work on it then? When did they decide? They said david and Dwight shipping helped them choose how to handle david. They also said it's retroactive. So instead of assuming, they said they worked with someone on david. All of this adds up to probably within a year they decided this I'd say. They give many reasons that hints at this. We can just disagree without them giving too many specifics. But I'd argue they won't give too much specifics like, when did they plan this? How did they get to this? Etc. Transparency isn't their thing.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

What reason do they have to give the nitty gritty details? If critics aren't going to be satisfied with the reasoning, why worry about whay they think?

• Mooks

Just to be clear: every tome story and any details in there are kinda retroactively added to the characters - including Franks and Julies sexual relationship. That doesn’t mean that those details, traits etc were not in the minds of the creators before that. i don’t get why this is something only ever criticized when it’s about LGBTQ+? I would get it if there was proof that David was created with being heterosexual in mind… but there isn’t any proof for that either?

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

It matters to some people, for me, sometime is way more fun to talk about the game lore rather than play the game.