Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Killer and Survivor Perk Ideas for future Chapters

Otixus
Otixus Member Posts: 3

TL;DR: New ideas for gameplay mechanics through perks. A one-time use hex totem with a stronger than normal effect. Various survivor or killer specific perks.

I was just brainstorming random ideas that I thought could make for interesting gameplay changes and thought I'd share the bare bones of what I came up with mechanically. First is an idea for a new type of totem I would call something like a "Decay Totem" or "Rotting Totem". The idea is for a totem that ONLY ACTIVATES when destroyed by the killer or survivors. It would give a situational buff that only works for, say, 3 minutes or less and can only be activated once, forcing the killer to choose the perfect timing to use it. They would work similarly to Hex: Haunted Ground but the killer can also choose to snuff it. If the survivors locate the totem, it would force the killer to stop what they are doing if they want to take immediate advantage of the situation. On top of this, it would be indistinguishable from a standard hex totem to the players while maybe having a floating perk icon over it for the killer's benefit or alters its color to the killer's eyes. An example would be something like:

"Decay: Primeval Intuition: When this totem is destroyed, it cannot be repaired. The killer has a strong psychological attachment to this effigy. Upon it's destruction, something bestial stirs within. For 40/50/60 seconds the killer can see the auras of all survivors."

This would be a very good ability that can start to snowball a match if you are smart with your decision making but doesn't last long enough to end a match and can only be used once. You might get 1 or 2 downs out of it if you're lucky.

That's the main point I was wanting to discuss. What are your thoughts on this new mechanic? Also, what are your thoughts on that specific perk?

And just because, here are a few quick perk ideas I thought could make interesting game play as well. Please note the numbers might be too strong or too weak and I haven't put a lot of time into how it would affect other perks. These may need a lot more thought.

1. A survivor perk that activates when you are within a certain distance of a carried survivor. While in radius, any time the killer swings, the struggle meter fills an additional 5/10/15% for the carried survivor. This perk would be very useful for players who like to bait killer swings in an attempt to help another survivor off their shoulder or groups who block the hook. I could see this getting abused though so maybe a smaller percent increase such as 6/8/10% or something.
  2. Another killer decay totem idea: Destruction of the decay totem would increase the killer's movement speed by 1/1.2/1.4m for 180 seconds. This wouldn't be as useful on ranged or fast killers like Huntress, Nurse, or Dredge but would make a world of difference for somebody like Onriyo or Trapper who are already not very good killers imo. I think this would also make Legion really interesting to play as well.
  3. Killer decay idea: Destruction of this totem would transfer the killer's terror radius to the obsession for 60/120/180 seconds
  4. Survivor perk that would allow the survivor to distinguish between hex totems and decay totems
  5. Survivor boon totem that would occasionally make audible decoy noises in vicinity that would notify the killer similarly to the tinker pop or vault notifications. It would be used to over stimulate the killer and feed them false information. Even in a chase near the boon, I could see this being very useful in niche situations. Using this in tandem to perks like Diversion could make for a fun, new playstyle.

I've got a million more but I think 5 is good for now. What do you all think?

Comments

• MrsJukes
    MrsJukes Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2022

To start things off, I really like the concept that you came up with for totems that don't do anything until the killer decides to trigger it, or otherwise is destroyed. I'd love to see such additions to the game, as it would add more strategy to totem related builds or just builds in general. I would like to mention that the example perk you used is probably too strong; 60 seconds of aura reading is a lot, it is 4 times as much as what Hex: Retribution does when a survivor cleanses a Hex totem. But an on demand aura reading like this, even if similar to Retribution could be pretty cool. Maybe if the aura reading was something like 30 seconds, which is quite a bit more to compensate you goin' over to the totem to trigger it yourself. But anyways, love the Decay/Rot totem perk concept.

Alright. Here are my thoughts on each listed perk idea.

1. I see the idea behind the perk and you suggest that if you succesfully bait the killer for an attack the wiggling survivor gains wiggle progress. That would be way too strong if it worked on succesful hits, as one or two survivors blocking a hook could always guarantee a wiggle off. If it only worked on missed attacks while carrying a survivor it would be better, because then the killers would have to be sure that he'd hit his attack and not risk missing and be punished.
    2. 1.4m/s = +35% movements speed, where most killers have 110% or 115%. +35% ms for 180 seconds would be beyond broken. Nurse would be able to move at 125% ms, completely negating her only downside. If this instead gave the killer a very low number like 4% or 5% ms it could be more balanced, but it would have to go down to 60 seconds or something. Three minutes it way too much even for just 0.2m/s.
    3. Similar to Dark Devotion, I kinda like the idea. But the duration is far too much. I could maybe stretch and see it being okay at 120 seconds, but something closer to 60 or 80 would be more appropriately balanced. Moving you terror radius to something else for that long could really have an enormous impact that shouldn't be dismissed.
    4. Cute perk idea. Maybe if there were more decoy type Hex perks this could be an interesting addition.
    5. It's a lot different from other Boon totem perks. Usually they apply a buff to survivors within an area, but this one is actively a debuff for the killer, and not one that can be easily ignored, either. I certainly understand it's just meant to be a distraction, but it would be constant noise notification until the killer realised that it was a boon and wandered to try and find it. I just don't think it does much more than annoy the killer, though.

I'd love to hear more about your other perk ideas. Just because I'm here judging your perks doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading about them. c:

• Otixus
    Otixus Member Posts: 3

Thanks a ton on the feedback. I'm glad you at least like the totem concept from the get go. It had been a while since I played (I just started back up yesterday after almost a year hiatus) and I forgot time frames on a lot of perks. But after playing a couple matches and getting back into the groove of things, I think you are absolutely right. Most of the perk ideas I was thinking of were a little too strong and I do think the nerfs you suggested would be a lot better. I will say though, it did sound like you were more focused on how strong the perks might be instead of if they were a good or bad perk which is a positive sign to me.

But I would absolutely kill to see my perk idea in the game. I can think of so many different builds and fun playstyles that would overall change the dynamic of the game. I will type of some of the other perk ideas later this week if I remember but I don't have enough time to do it right now. Thanks for all the feedback! Helps me tweak some of my ideas.