The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why are so many killers facecamping at 5 gens?

Deathstroke
Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,492
edited May 2022 in General Discussions

Facecamping at 5 gens is just ridicious (if you are not bubba) and if killer happens to dominate the game he makes sure survivor dies on first hook. Just asking why are some killers like this. Bubba ofcourse should camp but other killers doing this makes soloQ more horrible. My opinion is these killers are just sore losers if they really need to facecamp when they are already winning.

Post edited by Deathstroke on

Comments

• Deathstroke

Idk how to say it like they don't stand there looking at the survivor (normal facecamping) but move a bit and make sure no-one can save the hooked survivor but they don't move even 5m away from the hook so I wouldn't say it even camping.

• Deathstroke

He tried to get the grap when survivors tried to save the one on hook. So maybe his playstyle was something mixed between camping and facecamping then. He was standing still at times and then doing bit patrol.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184
    edited May 2022

Sometimes I do it when they happen to be hooked in a three gen. You'll proxy to force trades while keeping the strongest gens up.

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

It's called securing the kill from the people that love to unhook in a killer's face.

• Plsfix369
    Plsfix369 Member Posts: 566

Laziness, tends to be when you don't know what you're doing and you just let the gens fly or you hooked them beside a regressing gen.

Not for me, when I'm playing plague there's no idle moment cause you're just gonna lose the snowball potential if you wait around.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Why should survivors gen rush? Neither side has a fair argument because it's "play how you want"

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Truly only three killers can fully proxy camp....

Demo....

Hag.....

And now the new Killer coming out. They can get back to the hook quickly without needing to camp the hook. Most confuse this as actual camping because camping is looked down on but proxy camping is not because the Killer is not actually camping and sitting at the hook

• duygu
    duygu Member Posts: 333

since the early game is extremely disadvantageous for the killer and against an efficient swf, the actual match starts at 2-1 gen remaining for most of the killer roster, good killers may immediately search for a 3-4 gen spot and direct their attention there. even more effective if their hex is within that zone.

so let's say the killer hooked a survivor in that area, they may start proxy camping even if there's 5 gens left to do. it's because they do not want any gen done inside that setup otherwise it's nullified (even just one generator on the other side of the map of 2 generators close to each other is a very bad situation for any killer), and naturally expect 2-3 gens done very shortly afterwards.

with a hooked survivor in that 3-4 gen setup, and maybe a hex totem, it's nigh undefeatable against a good killer, if you are not a swf with meta perks. chances are those loops are already exhausted and the killer can see each generator while also camping near the hooked survivor, so anyone who tries to rescue will either trade hooks or get downed in vain, and anyone who tries to do a generator will get hit by a hatchet or something of that sort. it's possibly the best game strategy for killer side if the RNG factors make it happen.

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

I had a game today as huntress a survivor would stalk me to the hook and pulls them off after I take 5 steps away. Caught them the third time and they fed my lullaby to max stacks.

• Deathstroke

Sounds like your one if you need to really facecamp at 5 gens. It's bad stragedy agains't any decent survivors but my team was full of potatoes so it worked for him. I probably said but the guy didn't move even 5m from that corner and if everyone would slam gens would been easy win but I was doing rift challenge so didn't care to. I never facecamp at 5 gens I chase survivors and get the win right way facecamping at 5 gens is for those who suck at really playing the game. Just asked question why are some killers like this? I would never do that im not enough toxic to do that I quess outside playing bubba who is designed for it.

• Deathstroke

Bubba is designed for facecamping insta down which can even beat borrowed time with him it's definetely best stragedy if survivors try to do saves. I was AFK pretty long time playing him and then I got survivor when there was only 1 gen left and just facecamped him because what else I was supposed to do at that point. Survivors where greedy for save and I hooked everyone twice and got one sacrifice I could probably try to slug them all but I wanted to 100% quarantee one kill. I got nice message from one: not one person on this world loves you, awful killer uninstall. This should be said for killers who facecamp at 5 gens and are not bubba.

• Deathstroke

He got lot of downs early game then he just decided to facecamp one of them. That is very early advantage for killer. So this game started while 5 gens left so did he feel he is that bad he can't win it if he does not facecamp? After he got the kill then he started to more like really proxy camping so I quess so.

• Deathstroke

That's their fault trying unhook on your face but this match killer just stayed there even if no-one was around.

• Deathstroke

That's their fault what I mean there is no-one around but you stay facecamping on the hook at 5 gens. Huntress is good for normal camping when you quard the gens and when someone tries save hitting them with hatchet is good stragedy but I don't think it's needed at 5 gens unless they are very coordinated sfw.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

Okay, judging from your comment answers THIS particular game it was camping at 5 gens.

But have you seen the hefty amount of games where it gets from 5 gens to 2 in seconds? If they killer didn't preemptively created some king of pressure they are now way on the back foot here and have to sweat and stress themselves even more than normally.

If not more than half of all games would immediately go from 5 to 2 gens then i would say less people feel stressed to create preemptive early pressure.

If course there is the group if killer player that will do it either way and this has led to both sides going immediately ball to the walls tryhard to get the pressure advantage.

Maybe the guy in your game had the exact situation in their last trial that 3 gens got done at or before first down? I don't know and frankly and don't care anymore.

• Deathstroke

Could be if killers would play more fairly probably survivors would not rush the gens as much. But when you completely have the game under control I don't think facecamping is really needed.

• burt0r

It isn't but as a killer that played intentionally horrible aka immediately leaving hooks for the other side of the map (fast unhook or not), ignored freshly unhooked survivor (even when they run into my face), slugged no one except on deathhook and only started intentionally killing after 8hooks, i can tell you that it isn't met with grateful or even nice survivor behaviour.

In most cases they just lose all respect and start bming the living hell out of you.

And in the outlier cases they thank you for it or go to straight up toxicity in end game chat.

So i see no real incentive to play like that except for being generally a nice person like i would say about myself. And even then the negative or missing feedback (not that i would be inclined to any good feedback) makes it feel less rewarding/satisfying to play like that.

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2022

Its the killers job to kill the survivors. As the name "killer" says. This is one strategy to do that. Why should he walk around the map when the survivors are coming to him in this szenario? Against a solo queue, its a bad strategy, against a SWF, who want to save everyone, its the easiest way to get at least am 1K or maybe 2K. And dont forgot: maybe they are doing a quest from the archive.

• tofurkey_jerky
    tofurkey_jerky Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2022

Just make up a reason. It literally doesn't matter. Here's three:

1. DBD is his favorite game, but he gets motion sickness from running around so he camps while his nausea subsides.
    2. He could only play one more match and needed to kill 2 survivors to finish off his "kill 4 survivors" rift. He decided to camp because you can reasonably expect to kill 2 survivors if you camp them down. It was nothing personal, but he didn't manage to get all his kills after a whole day of playing normally! So he was pretty desperate to finally be done with the challenge.
    3. He is a literal 12 year old and he and his friends die laughing on voice chat knowing they're annoying survivors.

Who cares? Just make a story up that takes the salt away and lets you sympathize, or dismiss the camper, t-bagger, or whatever. it's fun if you try to make up a preposterous story (the motion sick guy), (usually) a good thing to assume the best in people (poor guy just trying to do a rift), and a useful habit to just dismiss petty slights from people who don't matter to you (just a dumb, rude kid).

Also Bubba has some sick anti-loop if you play well, there's no need to camp a hook at 5 gens as Bubba either. If you don't believe me check out Mathiiis' Advanced Bubba guide, or Seth DBD on YouTube. You won't regret it. People are sleeping on Bubba.

• dictep
    dictep Member Posts: 1,333

Powerless life

• Deathstroke

I bit disagree some survivors all like that but I think most respect that when killers play more fairly. Trying to hook everyone twice is very noble but obviously you lose games that way.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,583

Chicken-egg problem, but not really.

Survivors have to do gens (and interact with the killer, do saves, ... if they want more points) and killers have to kill.

In the vast majority of games, survivors are slamming the gens, usually two or three in parallel (because nobody has the ubiquity perk). Players handle that differently.

I usually switch to a hard tunnel (which makes the match even more fun when the survivors finally decide to do something about it). Some will camp, and I could too with some killers (no, not only Bubba). Some will proxy-camp and punish the speed by ensuring another hook state. All these counters are perfectly valid.

Doing it when no generator has popped yet seems a bit sad. Maybe these players have so often been in that situation they don't wait for the pops anymore. Still, it's a perfectly valid move.

• Deathstroke

Well killer could use BBQ see where survivors are or pain resonance and pop goes to weasel so put some pressure on others. Most killers still leave hooks and win that way. I thikk that is the way killer is intended to play. Never I said killer should not kill survivors but if you dominate the game you can play it bit nicer. You know survivors are not bots there are people playing them.

• burt0r

I can tell from roughly two years of experience of playing like that (roughly 100hours, yeah i know but i only play casually) that the majority won't care or show it and that the grateful are nearly as rare as the toxic ones. If i had to put numbers on it, 85% say/show nothing or GG (and the latter often only in case where 8 or even 4hooks/bbq stacks weren't achievable aka stomps), 10% are explicitly thank-/grateful and 5% think they won just by skill and are explicitly toxic.

Tbagging and/or flashlight spamming are done by roughly 40-50% on average.

Pity kill offerings and the like still are in the single digits unlike hatches given.

So i still miss to see incentives to play like this at the given balance and behaviour from survivors, outside having the personality for it.

• Deathstroke

It's perfectly fine to do if you know the survivors are good and they seem like they will slam gens but if they are not on gens. Killer can also play it more fair way. I always adapt my playstyle debending on which kind of survivors I have agains't and how well I just play myself. If 3 gens pop which is very rare for me I hard tunnel and camp. But hard tunneling and facecamping at 5 gens like you said is just sad but if it's bubba can't be mad.

• Deathstroke

Well I play on xbox but usually I get gg from survivors when I play fair way and some even when I kill them send me gg and fun chase. But when I tunnel/camp I can get some not nice messages but that is deserved. Seems pc players are more toxic I quess.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Yesterday i was accused of Pseudo Camping (wasn´t even sure what thats supposed to mean).

Apparently its wrong to get looped around the shack, when someone is hooked in the basement. I really should have turned around and ignore that survivor...

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700

You are right. But for me personally I dont like to play Meta only. ATM i run a Distressing, Beast of Pray, Hex: Thrill of the haunt and BBQ-Build for maximum bloodpoints (with BPS as offering).

I camp mostly if the survivor who is on the hook was toxic. For example abusing Boil Over on the roof of the mc millan storehouse.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    edited May 2022

More than one reason to do it. Could be a very good stragegy, like Artist with Deadlock, Dead Mans Switch just being able to keep survivors off gens while camping. But depending of the survivors it can be the right strategy on any killer, or the wrong one it's a gamble.

Also back when I played killer I facecamped sometimes and my reason for it was I wanted a break from the normal chasing game, or it was Friday and I was sipping an expensive scotch whisky or Jamaican rum. It's a way for killers to take it a bit easy.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    edited May 2022

Proxy camping is a made up phrase.

No such thing.

If I put you on a hook in my 3gen, it is not camping at all. Nor is it "proxy" its called applying pressure.

So many times I hook someone in a 3gen and get called camper,... ummm where you want me to go, Im in the 3gen with someone on hook. Not going to chase you to the other side of the map.

also facecamping was nerfed from the game when we got swivel hooks bros.

camping exists but all these phrases are meaningless and convoluted

• ButterFlee13
    ButterFlee13 Member Posts: 269
    1. Killer is not the power role in this game. 4 vs 1
    2. They are very weak in early game
    3. Strategy of pressure early so they can have 1 or 2 survivors off gens
    4. The game make running one loop to another very ez, and many killers are lazy to go for another blinded chase.

If you watch streamers and youtuber videos, all of them have partrol around hook survivor one way or another as this is the way to making the pressure and secure kill.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

Let's call it "One-Step Camping", you are always within 1 step of hitting the hooked survivor.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

I'm not one for camping at 5 gens simply because I don't find it a strong tactic, save for one scenario:

The super fast survivor down. If I get that first down extremely fast and the survivor I have on hook just screams weak link than I do not have any incentive to move. Where will I go? I could go chase some survivor off a 5% gen, and if they're any good I will lose pressure while someone else makes the save.

Screw that noise, I have your friend. Come save him or lose the game in the inevitable 3v1 2-gen scenario, I'll be waiting.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Actually face camping while all three other survivors are doing gens is usually a bad strategy. In most cases it ends up with three gens done, a hook trade, and then maybe one kill at the end. A much better tactic is to proactively pressure people off gens in the early game then stand in one spot.

So called “proxy camping” is different, that’s just a buzzword for “zone defense”, as in defending a zone maybe 1/3 the size of the map that includes a couple of generators and a hooked survivor. That’s obviously much more productive because, even if the other survivors are on the other side of the map and completing gens there, that’s leaving you in a stronger middle game with a 3- or 4- gen area you can patrol more efficiently. If someone is doing that in the early game it can make a lot of sense, especially if they’re a killer with low map mobility or a Trapper or Hag that requires set up time for instance.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967

Bubba is not the only killer who is good at face camping.

I'm not gonna list any names becuz I don't want to promote hardcore camping.

• Freddy96
    Freddy96 Member Posts: 767

Because devs allow lazy plays as they are regarded as "interesting" for some reasons

• Lekitzul
    Lekitzul Member Posts: 495

I don't see anything wrong camping on 5th gen, or during end game. Especially if you haven't killed anyone. Killers have objectives to, and sometimes they include killing or sacrificing. :/ Camping is only annoying if you do it on the first hook and literally won't leave and it's beginning of game. Like, give people a chance to play lol.

• Deathstroke

Im not sure what your saying but while killer facecamp 3 gens get usually done. Then one will go for save and others go work for the last gens and by the time killer gets that 1 kill all gens will be done.

Well if I get that fast down I usually put him on scourge hook: pain resonance and go for the gen which explodes to chase another survivor. If that does not work out I go back to the hook if he is still there and try to down the one who will go for safe.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

Survivors do gens at 0 hooks, no difference.

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

You are seeing this in the wrong perspective. Camping a survivor at 5 gens is potentially far more rewarding than doing so at 1 or 2 gens.

The objective of this is to remove a survivor from the game. The sooner this happens, the better the chances for the killer to take control of the entire match, leading to a more relaxed and enjoyable experience for the rest of the match.

5 gens camping is prime strategy, admittedly, at the expense of a degradation of the survivor experience, but ultimately everyone seeks their own enjoyment in a game and never have I seen a survivor group that is like "hey, we already 99d the last Gen and the killer is at 1 hook, let's stop for a while so the killer can have fun too".

Personally I don't camp much, because I don't find it enjoyable, but don't miss understand the reason behind killers that do so at 5 gens. They are being efficient.

• Sally_S_gay_son
    Sally_S_gay_son Member Posts: 285

I have 2 takes on this

1. As a killer I would never do this because it's so boring and I want to chase people even at the cost of losing, I honestly do not care about winning that much to spend the game looking at a survivor on hook
    2. As a survivor I do not mind it if the killer does it, I do mind it if my team then proceeds to do nothing instead of split up on gens and then try to save at the last moment once we have 2-3 gens done, the game can be saved and even with bt / /ds the camped person can get out with some fun plays unless there's a mori in play, but not punishing the killer for the free gen time seems like such an idiotic thing yet it happens all the time, even when there's Kindred on someone
  • Lekitzul
    Lekitzul Member Posts: 495

I totally agree on point 1. Even if I lose, I want to chase and get blood points, and find other survivors and have a bit of a struggle. It's no fun just sitting their staring. It's like playing a game but just staring at the pause screen, it's about as much fun.

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464

Because they're not very good at the game.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

I almost came back to this earlier to say I thought this was a nice middle-ground, and in that time you now have the jailed avatar.

What the hell did you do?

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955

Players reward this tactics